Oct 25, 2007
Windsor, Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
MATCH OF THE ROUND :thumbsu:

COLLINGWOOD MAGPIES VS WEST COAST EAGLES
SUNDAY 29TH MAY 2011 @ THE MCG

RADIO: 6PR, ABC PERTH, 3AW, MMM

TV: CHANNEL 7 FROM 3PM (VIC) 12 NOON (WA)

Bet: Pies $1.17 Eagles $5

Teams to come out tomorrow night.

One interesting match up will be COX/NICNAT Vs WOOD - Where i think the match could go in the EAGLES FAVOUR

The Pies midfield is the best and will show how far the EAGLES have come

Intriguing match ups all over the ground with Kerr/Shuey/Selwoods/Priddis etc going up against Swan/Pendles/Thomas/Blair etc etc

Cant wait for this match, short write up but Dave86 will be in further
detail :thumbsu:

Tip: Eagles by 9pts

hmmm...no takers, i wonder why??? (;

this is a game i would be humble about going into..a real surprise package, anything could happen,including us getting smashed and shown exactly where we fit in the scheme of things..

of course i hope we account for ourselves really well,and would be happy with an 'honourable loss'..

anything else is beyond expectations,and would be, unbelievable!?
hope for a great game with no injuries!!

hmmm...no takers, i wonder why??? (;

this is a game i would be humble about going into..a real surprise package, anything could happen,including us getting smashed and shown exactly where we fit in the scheme of things..

of course i hope we account for ourselves really well,and would be happy with an 'honourable loss'..

anything else is beyond expectations,and would be, unbelievable!?
hope for a great game with no injuries!!
you guys will be neck & neck, probably upto 3/4 time,then the pies will put on the after burners and romp away.

Teams to come out tomorrow night.
Possible inclusions for Collingwood include Alan Toovey, Leigh Brown, Ben Johnson, and Lachlan Keefe. It's difficult to find the players that may be omitted though.
The Pies midfield is the best and will show how far the EAGLES have come
West Coast to get closer than the 83 points loss at the same venue from last season.
Intriguing match ups all over the ground with Kerr/Shuey/Selwoods/Priddis etc going up against Swan/Pendles/Thomas/Blair/ etc etc
Apart from those mentioned above, Luke Ball, Sharrod Wellingham, Alan Didak, Heath Shaw, Andy Krakouer, Leon Davis, Steele Sidebottom and Dayne Beams will see time in the midfield as well.
Tip: Eagles by 9pts
Collingwood by 58 points.

you guys will be neck & neck, probably upto 3/4 time,then the pies will put on the after burners and romp away.

for sure..realistically the most likely scenario.
or.. we may get the jump as per usual,then its catch up footy,then the pies switch on afterburners..
or..

West Coast keep up there form will cause some problems . WE could dominate the Ruck If Collingwood just play Wood only , Okeefe sounds a good type and expect him to play and Nullify any major advantage we had . Nata is close to peak fitness too so there could be some carnage ;)

But I sense a few Collywobbles too

West Coast by 22 pts in a Upset ;)

I reckon Lachie Keeffe is a big chance to make his debut.

He's a very mobile and quick 204cm key defender, who isn't much chop in the ruck at the moment. WCE have 5 genuine talls and usually have 3 in their forward line for most of the game.

If Leigh Brown is still out then I'd expect Reid, Keeffe and Maxwell/O'Brien/Toovey to play as the 3 tall defenders, with Tarrant rotating between the 3rd tall forward role and a tall back when Keeffe is needed to pinch hit in the ruck.

Possible inclusions for Collingwood include Alan Toovey, Leigh Brown, Ben Johnson, and Lachlan Keefe. It's difficult to find the players that may be omitted though.West Coast to get closer than the 83 points loss at the same venue from last season.Apart from those mentioned above, Luke Ball, Sharrod Wellingham, Alan Didak, Heath Shaw, Andy Krakouer, Leon Davis, Steele Sidebottom and Dayne Beams will see time in the midfield as well.Collingwood by 58 points.

Last time was at etihad, hate to burst ya bubble as you dont like people proving your wrong.. :D

Collingwood will win. That I'm sure of. It's how much they win by which will show how far the Eagles have come.

Our tall forward line has proven too tall for teams so far - however the Pies' backline should cover us. Tarrant, O'Brien, Maxwell, Reid, Shaw. Who gets Kennedy? Does Reid get first crack, with Tarrant playing on Lynch (a better strength-based matchup)? Which one of Maxwell, O'Brien and Shaw will go to Jack Darling? I'd suggest Shaw gets the job, as Darling is playing extremely mobile this year, getting touches all over the ground. Shaw could hurt him with his own attacking play. Then there's the two Marks, LeCras and Nicoski.

Our backline, on the other hand, needs Eric Mackenzie back. Glass has been great this year, however we're playing a couple down at the moment. So far that hasn't mattered too much, as we allow less opposition inside 50s than any other team in the league, however Collingwood won't be held to less than 40 I50s, that's for sure.

The ruck battle is where we're ahead on paper, and ahead quite easily. Cox is in his AA form, and Naitanui is having a blinder of a season.

The midfield battle is where I see us falling down slightly. The Pies have got Swan, Thomas, Pendlebury, Ball, Krakouer et al, and it will be a decision as to which players we tag. Who does Adam Selwood go to? Scott Selwood? McGinnity? Conversely, we need to make sure that Kerr, Priddis and Shuey are protected well enough.

We need to make sure that we don't play Didak back into form.

Another thing the Eagles need is to capitalise on momentum. The second half of the Bulldogs match was the first time in recent memory where we made the most of our time with the ball. The game against Melbourne saw us kick on 5.3 from 22 inside 50s in the first quarter. Not good enough. That turned around last week. 17 goals in the second half, including 10 in the last quarter. The Eagles need more of those efforts to be a force. You can't be a top-rung team if you don't capitalise on having the ball that much.

As I said, Collingwood will win. I just don't think we can match it (yet) with the big boys. But we're getting there. We've been thrashed by the Pies our last two times to Melbourne - by 100 and 83 points. It won't be the same margin this week.

Collingwood by 40 points (a result I could live with).

it's hard to be humble when you are perfect in every way, but the Pies are rightly favourites.

Fantastic and invaluable experience for our young kids with the billing, opposition and venue. I hope I enjoy it as much at they will.

Very sad we will not get a telecast til midnight, my best bet being a dodgy satelite with one hour delay from melbourne, If I can find one;)

Good luck Pies. We can only grow stronger through strong oposition.

If it does go bad, may I get in early and note now that our entire half back line is out injured!!!

Swan carrying a niggling thigh injury, will be a great test for the Eagles and hopefully an absolute down to the wire game.

AFL.com: "The Pies will be put through their main training session on Thursday, but Swan, Alan Toovey (ribs), Ben Johnson (back) and Leigh Brown (calf) will be given until Saturday to prove their fitness for the West Coast match"

No Jolly a big problem for pies the last few weeks well it will be 10 times more evident with Cox and nic nat, Pies havent played 4 quaters all year and will have to here. Will swan play? I reckon Coll but wont be by much at all and Mick know theres no point killing players aginst good teams to win by 100 points instead of 20 which is why they have been taking it easy, if it happens it happens but i reckon pies just enough to win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood will win. That I'm sure of. It's how much they win by which will show how far the Eagles have come.

Our tall forward line has proven too tall for teams so far - however the Pies' backline should cover us. Tarrant, O'Brien, Maxwell, Reid, Shaw. Who gets Kennedy?
Kennedy will be covered by Tarrant or Keefe if he comes in. Keefe did a good job on him in the NAB cup so that might help him get his debut.

Does Reid get first crack, with Tarrant playing on Lynch (a better strength-based matchup)?
Reid will get Lynch if he goes up the ground. Lynch likes to go up the ground a lot. Closer to home Tarrant may have to swap with Reid but I feel this probabaly wont happen.

Which one of Maxwell, O'Brien and Shaw will go to Jack Darling? I'd suggest Shaw gets the job, as Darling is playing extremely mobile this year, getting touches all over the ground. Shaw could hurt him with his own attacking play. Then there's the two Marks, LeCras and Nicoski.
I would suggest Toovey at 189cm with a lot of pace and good overhead will get Darling. Toovey mostly gets smalls but can swing both ways. Of course he might not get the nod at selection due to injury. Buckley at 190cm with a big body might be another option. OBrien will probabaly get LeCras. Shaw will get the least damaging foward unless tagged.

The ruck battle is where we're ahead on paper, and ahead quite easily. Cox is in his AA form, and Naitanui is having a blinder of a season.
Wood is not good enough to go with either of these two in the ruck although he played better in the last quarter against Adelaide. Our mids will have to read West Coasts taps.

The midfield battle is where I see us falling down slightly. The Pies have got Swan, Thomas, Pendlebury, Ball, Krakouer et al, and it will be a decision as to which players we tag. Who does Adam Selwood go to? Scott Selwood? McGinnity? Conversely, we need to make sure that Kerr, Priddis and Shuey are protected well enough.
Swan has a few niggles that might play into your hands. Selwood will probabaly tag Pendlebury. Luke Ball V Priddis. Swan and Kerr will be rough match ups neither staying close to each other. Or Wellingham may run with Kerr.

We need to make sure that we don't play Didak back into form.
Looking at Didak there is something wrong with his kicking. It has been poor to average and lacking penertration. Love to see him kick 3 goals in about 3 minutes same as last year. Chances are that it wont happen.

Another thing the Eagles need is to capitalise on momentum. The second half of the Bulldogs match was the first time in recent memory where we made the most of our time with the ball. The game against Melbourne saw us kick on 5.3 from 22 inside 50s in the first quarter. Not good enough. That turned around last week. 17 goals in the second half, including 10 in the last quarter. The Eagles need more of those efforts to be a force. You can't be a top-rung team if you don't capitalise on having the ball that much.
Both teams have similar momentum going into this game Pie had a second half turn around of close to 75 points, Kicking the last 11 goals in about 23 minutes. Will be interesting to see who comes out firing into this game. Maybe they both will.

As I said, Collingwood will win. I just don't think we can match it (yet) with the big boys. But we're getting there. We've been thrashed by the Pies our last two times to Melbourne - by 100 and 83 points. It won't be the same margin this week.

Collingwood by 40 points (a result I could live with).
Collingwood by 18 points in a close one.

Last time was at etihad, hate to burst ya bubble as you dont like people proving your wrong.. :D
Actually, Collingwood plays better at the MCG than at Etihad Stadium because it is our home ground. Also, since the beginning of 2008 when West Coast lost Chris Judd and Ben Cousins, they have won only once at the MCG against an ordinary Melbourne by 29 points, but lost five times by an an average margin of 52 points including a 100 point loss the last time they played Collingwood there!

Actually, Collingwood plays better at the MCG than at Etihad Stadium because it is our home ground. Also, since the beginning of 2008 when West Coast lost Chris Judd and Ben Cousins, they have won only once at the MCG against an ordinary Melbourne by 29 points, but lost five times by an an average margin of 52 points including a 100 point loss the last time they played Collingwood there!

I don't think those stats say anything other than we were a rubbish footy team for a few years. Our winning percentage would be just as poor anywhere, including Subi I would think.

Depends on Wood he will never beat Cox but if he can reduce Cox's effectiveness to the extent that the Pies midfielders can get an equal number of centre clearances then the Pies will win.

If we play the way we did in the first half against Adelaide then WCE by about ten goals.
If we play the way we did in the last quarter then Pies by ten goals plus.

In reality Pies in a close one by about 20 points.

WCE/WCE/WCE/COLL could be a good bet the way Pies have been this year!

The combination of Collingwood's patchy form ranging from below average to absolutely breath taking, and WCE's resurgence lead by some very talented young players, make me look forward to this game so much more than I would have thought when the fixture first came out.

Victory is not assured for my mob, but it is nice to know they can slam on so many goals so quickly. Never really out of it no matter how poorly they play, which must be very stressful for opposition supporters. You'd excuse a Crows supporter for feeling slightly confident when they were 23 pts up 7 mins in to the last.... 20 mins later, and they had been thrashed :confused: I'm still in a state of confusion about what the hell happened in that game! I don't think I have seen anything like it.

It's imperative that we get a good start this week. We've been very sluggish against Geelong and Adelaide in the last two games. We can't keep playing poorly in the first half and then have a big, draining comeback in the second. I really hope the boys are switched on because WC are in pretty good nick at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood vs West Coast Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back