Strategy Collingwood's Best 22 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys! just wanted to know your thoughts on this article as I am trying to get a bit of a following as I want to be a journalist.

Hey guys! just wanted to know your thoughts on this article as I am trying to get a bit of a following as I want to be a journalist.
I didn't mind the actual article, I thought it was quite good, I didn't like the title though. I think your headline paints a worse picture of what the Pies season may entail than the actual article itself, if you get what I mean. I'd say your headline is inline with the way most other journos go about it though (have a provocative headline to get clicks/hits).

I didn't mind the actual article, I thought it was quite good, I didn't like the title though. I think your headline paints a worse picture of what the Pies season may entail than the actual article itself, if you get what I mean. I'd say your headline is inline with the way most other journos go about it though (have a provocative headline to get clicks/hits).

Yeah that is actually fair enough, thanks for the feedback.

Anyways, Do you guys mind if I post on the pies board, I go to about 7 pies games a year with my mate and watch all others on TV so I know the list pretty well.

Anyways, Do you guys mind if I post on the pies board, I go to about 7 pies games a year with my mate and watch all others on TV so I know the list pretty well.

If you know the list so well...I doubt you'd be calling Jamie Elliott inconsistent? The kids been a jet since he got to CFC.
Also the "Rat Pack" was basically Swanny, Dids, Johnno, Heater and maybe Daisy Thomas from time to time. Two of them were worn out, one had brain fades and Daisy went after the $$$ at Carlton. People place far too much importance on the rat pack stuff and Beamer was never one of them anyway?

I see the point of a budding journalist writing about the pies....(I mean, other budding scribes like Kingy and Caro and Robbo do it all the time to get attention) but the first law of GOOD journalism (I emphasise again GOOD) is to get your facts straight and eliminate the opinion. The truth will set you free.

How about a "rat pack piece" on Dustin Martin, Daniel Conners, Jake King or Billy Nicholls and Ben Cousins?? #everyclubhas'em

If you know the list so well...I doubt you'd be calling Jamie Elliott inconsistent? The kids been a jet since he got to CFC.
Also the "Rat Pack" was basically Swanny, Dids, Johnno, Heater and maybe Daisy Thomas from time to time. Two of them were worn out, one had brain fades and Daisy went after the $$$ at Carlton. People place far too much importance on the rat pack stuff and Beamer was never one of them anyway?

I see the point of a budding journalist writing about the pies....(I mean, other budding scribes like Kingy and Caro and Robbo do it all the time to get attention) but the first law of GOOD journalism (I emphasise again GOOD) is to get your facts straight and eliminate the opinion. The truth will set you free.

How about a "rat pack piece" on Dustin Martin, Daniel Conners, Jake King or Billy Nicholls and Ben Cousins?? #everyclubhas'em
I'm not getting into arguments on other clubs boards.

That's fair enough, not everyone has the same opinions.

I'm not getting into arguments on other clubs boards.

That's fair enough, not everyone has the same opinions.

:) And definitely no argument here mate, but if you want to be a journalist...be a good one. Report the news, don't make it up.
BTW...I think the Tiges could have a good year.

:) And definitely no argument here mate, but if you want to be a journalist...be a good one. Report the news, don't make it up.
BTW...I think the Tiges could have a good year.

Hope so mate!

After that I'd go with:

B: Ben Reid ~ Nathan Brown ~ Marley Williams
HB: Adam Oxley ~ Lachlan Keeffe ~ Tom Langdon

M: Travis Varcoe ~ Levi Greenwood ~ Steele Sidebottom

HF: Jordan De Goey ~ Travis Cloke ~ Alex Fasolo
F: Jarrod Witts ~ Corey Gault ~ Jamie Elliott

R: Brodie Grundy ~ Scott Pendlebury ~ Dane Swan

I/C: Ben Sinclair ~ Patrick Karnezis ~ Taylor Adams
Sub: Nathan Freeman *Sub to be rotated

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB 26 Marley Williams - 16 Nathan Brown - 28 Ben Sinclair
CHB 8 Tom Langdon - 20 Ben Reid - 31 Jackson Ramsay
C 22 Steele Sidebottom - 19 Levi Greenwood - 25 Jack Crisp
CHF 33 Patrick Karnezis - 32 Travis Cloke - 1 Alex Fasolo
FF 5 Jamie Elliott - 9 Jesse White - 44 Corey Gault
Foll 15 Jarrod Witts - 10 Scott Pendlebury - 36 Dane Swan
Inter 13 Taylor Adams - 21 Nathan Freeman - 18 Travis Varcoe
29 Tim Broomhead
Emergencie 4 Brodie Grundy - 35 Jordan De Goey - 24 Josh Thomas

B: Marley Williams - Nathan Brown - Ben Sinclair
HB: Paul Seedsman - Ben Reid - Tom Langdon
C: Steele Sidebottom - Levi Greenwood - Jack Crisp
HF: Jamie Elliott - Travis Cloke - Alex Fasolo
FF: Patrick Karnezis - Jesse White - Travis Varcoe

Followers: Brodie Grundy, Scott Pendlebury, Dane Swan
INT: Jarrod Witts, Tim Broomhead, Taylor Adams, Ben Kennedy

Emg: Jordan De Goey, Josh Thomas, Nathan Freeman / Tyson Goldsack.

Seedsman won't be ready for round 1 and I wouldn't mind seeing Oxley start off half-back instead. We have a few guys on top of the emergencies who could be considered unlucky not to be playing, which is good in a way but I also think it's indicative of a side without enough players demanding a spot. By round 5 this year I would hope we have more than just the 10 or so that have a cemented spot (I'm looking at you Broomhead, Adams, Kennedy, Fasolo, Karnezis, De Goey, Freeman).

B: Sinclair ~ Brown ~ Williams
HB: Oxley ~ Reid ~ Langdon

M: Varcoe ~ Greenwood ~ Sidebottom

HF: Karnezis ~ Cloke/White ~ Fasolo (but I like the idea of Kennedy here)
F: Gault ~ Cloke/White ~ Jamie Elliott

R: Grundy ~ Pendlebury ~ Swan

I/C: Freeman ~ De Goey ~ Adams
Sub: Kennedy (could easily go with Fas here) *Sub to be rotated

Em: Witts (instead of Grundy), Broomhead, Seedsman (not ready yet)

Options:
- Crisp for DGo
- Goldsack for DGo
(thinking now that one of these two is probably more likely)

In my mind, there are only 25 players still in the mix for round 1 at GABBA.
Williams Brown Frost
Toovey Reid Langdon
Swan Pendlebury Sidebottom
Varcoe Cloke Fasolo
Elliott Gault White
Grundy Greenwood Adams
Goldsack Crisp Blair De Goey
Sinclair Thomas Karnezis

toovey brown frost
williams reid langdon
sidebottom swan greenwood
fasolo cloke blair
goldsack white elliott
grundy pendles adams
int: crisp thomas

and 2 of : sinclair broomhead varcoe karnezis kennedy de goey witts keefe dwyer ramsay gault oxley depending on the match ups

young and seedsman not ready, and freeman behind de goey if we blood a youngster

assume the lions will go with the martin/leuenberger combo, so big chance we play witts in tandem with grundy, witts to be subbed out if a bit underdone. or alternatively play keefe up forward where he's trained all pre-season as the extra big man and he and white will have to provide the ruck chop out. gault the wildcard for that role given recent form. i'd lean towards broomhead/varcoe and witts from the above for the remaining 2 spots. oxley could be the genuine bolter, he is very highly rated internally

touch wood with 1 nab challenge game to go, but the striking thing about the list at the moment is how many players are on track to be available for selection in rnd 1.a far cry from any stage of last season, when the inj list was never ending from day 1

Locks for round 1, barring injury.

1. Scott Pendlebury
2. Steele Sidebottom
3. Dane Swan
4. Travis Cloke
5. Taylor Adams
6. Tom Langdon
7. Ben Reid
8. Jamie Elliot
9. Jarryd Blair
10. Nathan Brown
11. Jack Frost
12. Lachlan Keeffe
13. Alan Toovey
14. Jesse White
15. Alex Fasolo
16. Levi Greenwood
17. Travis Varcoe
18. Jarrod Witts
19. Brodie Grundy

Last 3 spots are going to be fought between:

Josh Thomas, Jack Crisp, Marley Williams, Ben Sinclair, Nathan Freeman, Tim Broomhead, Sam Dwyer, Ben Kennedy, Patrick Karnezis, Jordan De Goey, Corey Gault.

Because our top 19 are very tall, I would probably go the last 3 the quickest from that list and best NAB form, so Nathan Freeman, Ben Sinclair and probably Marley Williams sneaks ahead of Broomhead.
Gaults form has been awesome, but is behind the likes of Keeffe and Reid for now, would be a straight swap for an injured Reid or Keefe and a good one too.

I also preferred us in the first half of 2014 when we played Witts and Grundy together.

This is my prediction of the team Bucks will go with this week and round 1, injury and fitness permitting.

Back line
SINCLAIR%20Ben_t.png
REID%20Ben_t.png

Half Backs
141119_varcoe01.jpg
141119_greenwood01.jpg

Mids

ELLIOTT%20Jamie_t.png
CLOKE%20Travis_t.png

Half Forwards
FASOLO%20Alex_t.png
WHITE%20Jesse_t.png

Forwards
GRUNDY%20Brodie_t.png
ADAMS%20Taylor_t.png

Ruck
BLAIR%20Jarryd_t.png
SWAN%20Dane_t.png
BROOMHEAD%20Tim_t.png

Bench

Last edited:
For me I think the weekend probably through up more questions than answers. Couple of blokes who might have pencilled themselves in if they had built on their performances vs Hawks who I just think missed the opportunity and probably found a bit wanting in the contested nature of the game.

For me I think the following spots are locked in and I have put "vacant' where I think the spots are still open;

BACKS

Frost - For me he is a lock if he is fit which expect he will be
Brown - Battling for form a bit but he will play there
Crisp - Kicking was an issue on weekend after being good in game 1. Ahead of Williams, Sinclair and Oxley who was good on weekend.

HALF BACKS

Toovey - Is a lock.
Reid - If plays next weekend I expect them to play him Rd 1. Lions dont have super elite talls so they can take the risk a bit
Langdon - Probably our best defender which is embarrassing in many ways

Mids

Sidebottom - Suspect he will run back a bit and get him using ball way out.
Pendlebury - Lock and needed the run
Varcoe - I am not completely sold on him but has been good its his kicking thats been a worry at times

HALF FORWARDS

Elliott - Will push up this year and if Fasolo can get dangerous then will help him out a lot
Cloke - I really want to see him running around more
Swan - Will rotate through the middle

FORWARDS

Fasolo - Been very impressive.
VACANT - I think White and Gault are in a battle for this. Be interesting how White goes vs Dogs. If doesnt go well I'd expect Corey is in. Both will play if Witts doesnt.
Goldsack - Saw on weekend how crucial he is upfront.

RUCKS

Grundy - Been the standout with Langdon of the preseason
Greenwood - Been ok
Adams - Talks a good story got to deliver but will get first go.

INT

Witts vs Gault vs White - I expect Witts will play Rd 1 and if he does then only one of the other two will play. If he misses then both Gault and White fill the FF and Interchange spot
Blair vs Kennedy - I expect these two to fight a spot out for the additional small forward role. Blair probably a better fwd but Kennedy better as a mid rotation. They will pick Blair I suspect
Thomas vs Karnezis vs De Goey vs Dwyer vs Broomhead - I had Broomhead in early but think the new bloke been the most consistent in preseason. I reckon that spot gets sorted Saturday night.
Sinclair vs Ramsay vs Oxley vs Ramsay - I wouldnt have Ramsay as cant kick. I reckon this weekend will sort it out. Dont rule out Oxley but they may want the pace of other two in which case I have Sinclair ahead.

if I had to tip the 4 now (assume Witts plays) then I think they would go;

Witts
Blair
De Goey
Sinclair

For me I think the weekend probably through up more questions than answers. Couple of blokes who might have pencilled themselves in if they had built on their performances vs Hawks who I just think missed the opportunity and probably found a bit wanting in the contested nature of the game.

For me I think the following spots are locked in and I have put "vacant' where I think the spots are still open;

BACKS

Frost - For me he is a lock if he is fit which expect he will be
Brown - Battling for form a bit but he will play there
Crisp - Kicking was an issue on weekend after being good in game 1. Ahead of Williams, Sinclair and Oxley who was good on weekend.

HALF BACKS

Toovey - Is a lock.
Reid - If plays next weekend I expect them to play him Rd 1. Lions dont have super elite talls so they can take the risk a bit
Langdon - Probably our best defender which is embarrassing in many ways

Mids

Sidebottom - Suspect he will run back a bit and get him using ball way out.
Pendlebury - Lock and needed the run
Varcoe - I am not completely sold on him but has been good its his kicking thats been a worry at times

HALF FORWARDS

Elliott - Will push up this year and if Fasolo can get dangerous then will help him out a lot
Cloke - I really want to see him running around more
Swan - Will rotate through the middle

FORWARDS

Fasolo - Been very impressive.
VACANT - I think White and Gault are in a battle for this. Be interesting how White goes vs Dogs. If doesnt go well I'd expect Corey is in. Both will play if Witts doesnt.
Goldsack - Saw on weekend how crucial he is upfront.

RUCKS

Grundy - Been the standout with Langdon of the preseason
Greenwood - Been ok
Adams - Talks a good story got to deliver but will get first go.

INT

Witts vs Gault vs White - I expect Witts will play Rd 1 and if he does then only one of the other two will play. If he misses then both Gault and White fill the FF and Interchange spot
Blair vs Kennedy - I expect these two to fight a spot out for the additional small forward role. Blair probably a better fwd but Kennedy better as a mid rotation. They will pick Blair I suspect
Thomas vs Karnezis vs De Goey vs Dwyer vs Broomhead - I had Broomhead in early but think the new bloke been the most consistent in preseason. I reckon that spot gets sorted Saturday night.
Sinclair vs Ramsay vs Oxley vs Ramsay - I wouldnt have Ramsay as cant kick. I reckon this weekend will sort it out. Dont rule out Oxley but they may want the pace of other two in which case I have Sinclair ahead.

if I had to tip the 4 now (assume Witts plays) then I think they would go;

Witts
Blair
De Goey
Sinclair
Great format and assessment

Would agree with most but quibble on a few

Crisp is not a lock in BP for mine but I reckon Williams is who you left out completely. Crisp is in a battle for a bench spot.

Blair is a lock for mine . Start him on the bench for sure but he showed on Sunday why he will be in the 22. If the youngsters can pass him during the year fine but they havent yet and my guess is they wont.

So put Williams in

and Blair, Kennedy, Sinclair on the bench and the big man mix which I agree will be dependent on how Witts comes up as you suggested

That is today, may change after Saturday. Still we will go into Dogs game on Sat near best 22 so if you miss a spot on Saturday chances are you are VFL round 1

Locks for round 1, barring injury.

1. Scott Pendlebury
2. Steele Sidebottom
3. Dane Swan
4. Travis Cloke
5. Taylor Adams
6. Tom Langdon
7. Ben Reid
8. Jamie Elliot
9. Jarryd Blair
10. Nathan Brown
11. Jack Frost
12. Lachlan Keeffe
13. Alan Toovey
14. Jesse White
15. Alex Fasolo
16. Levi Greenwood
17. Travis Varcoe
18. Jarrod Witts
19. Brodie Grundy

Last 3 spots are going to be fought between:

Josh Thomas, Jack Crisp, Marley Williams, Ben Sinclair, Nathan Freeman, Tim Broomhead, Sam Dwyer, Ben Kennedy, Patrick Karnezis, Jordan De Goey, Corey Gault.

Because our top 19 are very tall, I would probably go the last 3 the quickest from that list and best NAB form, so Nathan Freeman, Ben Sinclair and probably Marley Williams sneaks ahead of Broomhead.
Gaults form has been awesome, but is behind the likes of Keeffe and Reid for now, would be a straight swap for an injured Reid or Keefe and a good one too.

I also preferred us in the first half of 2014 when we played Witts and Grundy together.
We will never play Cloke, Reid, Brown, White, Frost , Keeffe, Witts and Grundy in the same side

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Collingwood's Best 22 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Back