Strategy Collingwood's Best 22 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Going to have a crack at round 1 team which is not easy.

B Williams | Brown | Toovey
HB Langdon | Frost | Reid
C Varcoe | Greenwood | Sidebottom
R Swan | Witts | Pendlebury
HF Fasolo | White | Broomhead
F Elliot | Cloke | Goldsack

Int Adams | Thomas | Grundy | Kennedy (sub)

Emg DeGoey | Karnezis | Sinclair

Edit: updated above after the below discussion.

Positions up for grabs

Back Pocket:
Toovey I don't see as a lock anymore. I think he needs to show some form but has credit and it's early in the season. Sinclair was pretty clean the other night and Ramsay ended up with a decent game although I didn't rate it early.

Key Defence: Last year Keeffe was in the leadership group and this year Brown is but that shouldn't effect selection. Brown is a great club-man however he got caught out twice in quick succession by McEvoy the other night who's a good mark but not overly quick. I can see Frost moving to FB and Keeffe to CHB depending on form/opposition. Basically it is a contest between Brown and Keeffe with Frost pretty much a lock for my liking.

Mid/Forwards: Kennedy and Thomas still have to prove themselves for me to form part of this rotation. Both played well on Thursday night but once Swan and Pendlebury return the possessions might dry up. DeGoey is probably back in the order purely on lack of pre-season and giving these guys a chance but the club will showcase DeGoey at the first opportunity if form warrants and I think it will early. The club might also prefer to give the forward line another complexion with Karnezis as that rangey tall who can play wing and allow a Sidebottom or Varcoe to run the ball from defence. Or Goldsack can play fwd/def as a swing option with Reid.

Last edited:

R Pendlebury | Witts | Swan
F Elliot | Cloke | Kennedy

Int Adams | Thomas | Grundy | DeGoey (sub)

Emg Goldsack | Karnezis | Sinclair

Positions up for grabs

Back Pocket: Toovey I don't see as a lock anymore.
I think needs to show some form but has credit and it's early in the season. Sinclair was pretty clean the other night and Ramsay ended up with a decent game although I didn't rate it early.

Key Defence: Last year Keeffe was in the leadership group and this year Brown is but that shouldn't effect selection. Brown is a great club-man however he got caught out twice in quick succession by McEvoy the other night who's a good mark but not overly quick. I can see Frost moving to FB and Keeffe to CHB depending on form/opposition. Basically it is a contest between Brown and Keeffe with Frost pretty much a lock for my liking.

Mid/Forwards: Kennedy and Thomas still have to prove themselves for me to form part of this rotation. Both played well on Thursday night but once Swan and Pendlebury return the possessions might dry up. DeGoey is probably back in the order purely on lack of pre-season and giving these guys a chance but the club will showcase DeGoey at the first opportunity if form warrants and I think it will early. The club might also prefer to give the forward line another complexion with Karnezis as that rangey tall who can play wing and allow a Sidebottom or Varcoe to run the ball from defence. Or Goldsack can play fwd/def as a swing option with Reid.

I know everyone loves Tooves here but there is going to be a time where we pick someone who is more of an attacking kicker by foot as well as a lock down player and Tooves might miss out because of this.

R Pendlebury | Witts | Swan
F Elliot | Cloke | Kennedy

Int Adams | Thomas | Grundy | DeGoey (sub)

Emg Goldsack | Karnezis | Sinclair

Positions up for grabs

Back Pocket:
Toovey I don't see as a lock anymore. I think needs to show some form but has credit and it's early in the season. Sinclair was pretty clean the other night and Ramsay ended up with a decent game although I didn't rate it early.

I would play Goldsack over Broomhead every day of the week. If Broomhead can string some very good VFL games together then he gets a game

In retrospect Goldsack probably gets a game over Kennedy or Broomhead.
Broomhead is a burst player suited to the bigger grounds such as the MCG whereas Kennedy is a runner type mid (when fit), so take your pick as to who you prefer in the side given the opposition. Goldsack is a utility who plays off the bench and who can play back or forward and adds to the versatility of the side.

Broomhead is a burst player suited to the bigger grounds such as the MCG whereas Kennedy is a runner type mid (when fit), so take your pick as to who you prefer in the side given the opposition. Goldsack is a utility who plays off the bench and who can play back or forward and adds to the versatility of the side.

That's all good, maybe pick a whole side and decide for yourself.

Team for rd 1, assuming Reid is fit.

HB Langdon | Reid | Sinclair

Especially against Brisbane we don't need 3 KPDs, Brown and Reid my preference if all options are fit.
Brisbane have guys like Green, Zorko so zippy smalls the order of the day hence Sinclair is in.

R Grundy | Adams | Pendlebury

Reasonably self explanatory, id give Grundy first option in the ruck with Witts hopefully playing a role but potentially spending more time forward...IMO Witts is the better KPF.

HF Fasolo | Cloke | Swan
F Elliot | White | Goldsack

I like Cloke further up the ground, rather Witts or a small like Elliott or Fas be the deeper target. Karnezis and Witts give forward options from the bench, Goldsack start forward but can also move up the ground and a potential option to go with Martin around the ground if they use him as a Goodes type with Leuy taking the main ruck role.

Int Karnezis | DeGoey | Witts | Kennedy

DeGoey or BenKen to be the sub.

Especially against Brisbane we don't need 3 KPDs, Brown and Reid my preference if all options are fit.
Brisbane have guys like Green, Zorko so zippy smalls the order of the day hence Sinclair is in.

Reasonably self explanatory, id give Grundy first option in the ruck with Witts hopefully playing a role but potentially spending more time forward...IMO Witts is the better KPF.

HF Fasolo | Cloke | Swan

I like Cloke further up the ground, rather Witts or a small like Elliott or Fas be the deeper target. Karnezis and Witts give forward options from the bench, Goldsack start forward but can also move up the ground and a potential option to go with Martin around the ground if they use him as a Goodes type with Leuy taking the main ruck role.

swap DeGoey with Crisp so he plays against his old team for round one

I find it very interesting that a lot of you guys still have Varcoe in your 22 after the recent NAB cup game.

Now by no means do I want to come on here and slag off your players, that's not the point. But for me, he was terrible against the Hawks... Might have just been the one bad game but still, I've never really rated Varcoe all that highly, so inconsistent and that Thursday night he did nothing for me.

I know the Pies just traded for him and he is more of a senior player, but if I was a Collingwood fan I see a whole load of youngsters who have a much, much greater upside than Varcoe and would be wanting to get games into them. That's just my view, for me, I currently have him as the sub in my 22 of Collingwood, but I'd be interested to know what others think on here.
Varcoe fills an immediate need for us which is outside running midfielders who can kick properly. We have some younger players coming through but they are probably not ready yet. Seedsman could potentially be there in 2015 but he is still largely unproven despite showing a lot of potential. Varcoe is effectively an upgrade on Young who was clearly in our best 22 last season. Also I see Varcoe's inconsistency largely as a function of injury troubles. His best is very good and pies supporters should be in a better position than most to see that. I doubt we would have recruited him if we thought he couldn't shake his injury troubles and I'm not too concerned that he played poorly in the first ps game of the year.

Well it's a very big year for our last 2 picks in the 2009 draft, JT and Sinclair have done well to last this long given how late they were drafted but have to lock down spots this season imo
They look capable but it's gonna be tough for both, adams and williams are both younger and be picked over them in their given postions at this stage

They've played a combined 76 games in 10 seasons

HF Fasolo | Cloke | Swan

really like this line up, especially for rd 1. the only change would be witts as he hasn't had much of a pre-season and I think is still listed as injured with his shoulder. so I would bring in maybe freeman or broomhead

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I the only person who really doesn't want to play Witts and Grundy in the same? Having both of them makes us way to slow and they both can't impact the scoreboard while resting forward. I can't see them both being at Collingwood in a few years time. Maybe if we trade Witts in the future we can get a good pick in return.

Am I the only person who really doesn't want to play Witts and Grundy in the same? Having both of them makes us way to slow and they both can't impact the scoreboard while resting forward. I can't see them both being at Collingwood in a few years time. Maybe if we trade Witts in the future we can get a good pick in return.
both have played under 30 games so think it's a little early to say that they can't play forward, especially the way that Witts was clunking the late last year. personally I'd like to see Witts or Grundy play out of the Forward square, push cloke up to CHF, and given that White has lost a bit of weight to cover more ground I'd actually like to see him up on the wing. I guess the only thing that throws a spanner in the works would be the emergence of Moore

You probably are

No doubt it is a worry. We are all hoping that one or both develop into a serviceable forward/ruck. Both are young and theres a strong chance.

Well it's a very big year for our last 2 picks in the 2009 draft, JT and Sinclair have done well to last this long given how late they were drafted but have to lock down spots this season imo
They look capable but it's gonna be tough for both, adams and williams are both younger and be picked over them in their given postions at this stage

They've played a combined 76 games in 10 seasons
Going to be tough for Sinclair.
he is an absolute horrible kick and in the modern game it's just to costly.

To me this thread should mean "your preferred 22 team if all players are fit" so ignoring rumours of where guys will be playing, who's not ready for round 1 (except for obvious outs like Macaffer and Sharenberg) and who might be best 22 in 2-3 years, here's mine (+ emergencies):

B: Williams N.Brown Keeffe
HB: Varcoe Reid Toovey
C: Freeman Pendlebury Sidebottom
HF: Goldsack Cloke Swan
FF: Broomhead White Elliott
R: Grundy Greenwood Adams
I/C: Thomas Fasolo Young Langdon
EMG: Frost Karnezis De Goey

Wow doing that made me think that I reckon we've got a pretty solid list to be fair. Had to leave out decent players like Seedsman, Witts, Blair, Kennedy, Crisp and Dwyer and as I said we'd have Macaffer and Sharenberg barring injuries.
I think our depth is pretty fair barring an injury barrage like late last season.

I wouldn't call it a "free pass" IF your leadership adds enough value, Nick Maxwell proved that.

Nick Maxwell was a captain, his leadership was on a much different level to Goldsacks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Collingwood's Best 22 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Back