Strategy Collingwood's Best 22 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

You're absolutely right that kicking efficiency by position varies.

It's easiest for backs and hardest for forwards, and as you noted harder for inside players than outside players for the same reasons. And it's most appropriate comparing kicking efficiency it to others by the same position/types.

For me it's rather than pressure you're under as much as ratio of contested v uncontested ball winning ratio that I'd be putting more weight into. Pressure for me isn't a great measure with some players really good either at bursting away to get into space after winning the ball and others able to use evasive steps to create more space, when really they won it in a contested situation and they're finding a way to make circumstances more advantageous for them to more effectively dispose of the ball. On the other hand with contested v uncontested ball winning, unlike pressure, it's easier to accurately measure without ambiguity as would occur with pressure, and it's clear if you're winning a high proportion of contested or uncontested ball as to whether you're more likely to have a low or high kicking efficiency.

On Goodyear, there are lots of good things he can do. He can win the contested ball. He has pace. His numbers are pretty good and his overall impact also was pretty good at TAC Cup level. So he has some things going for him to justify his draft position. Just for me like so many others on our list it's the poor kicking efficiency again as a guy who shockingly in the TAC Cup last year had 14 more inefficient kicks than he did efficient kicks from his 15 games. That's terrible man. On a team with so many bad kicks, you just can't get away with that. He's someone I'd much rather another team have taken, and have instead gone for Reece McKenzie, with Oscar McDonald and Dean Gore two others I'd also have favoured. But as a Collingwood fan naturally I hope you're right with Goodyear in our colours, and the other guys not. If Goodyear makes it, it won't be the first or last time I've been wrong, so he's hoping for our sake collectively.

Watched mainly cannons and jets games last year as I'm fortunately positioned in the middle of those two regions, and Goodyear was the perfect example of a player who had to kick in either contested situations or a pressured environment more than any player in his team such was his elite contested ball winning ability. His efficiency would've definitely suffered as a result. Im pretty sure i read somewhere that he won more clearances and contested possessions than any of his highly rated onballer teammates.

If he had of played half back/mid, a role i believe he could've been just as effective in (with his elite speed, defensive skills), I don't think we'd be talking about his efficiency as much as we do. I think TAC stats can sometimes overrate or underrate a players ability in a particular area. For example from the two intraclub matches and one vfl game so far, Goodyear's kicking skills have been adequate to good whilst Maynard (a better rated kick) has been poor.

Mckenzie and Mcdonald are both key talls, so it depends if you think we needed one of those type of players over a tallish mid with pace-clearly you wanted key talls. Me, I'm happy we went with a taller mid who can move quickly on the outside and clean up in the inside-but that's just a difference in opinion on team structure philosophies.

For the record Goodyear IMO performed better than Gore in the VFL match against Geelong, so lets hope for our beloved pies that continues right throughout their careers, as you mentioned, i know that's something we both agree on.

Have serious doubts as to Fasolo being in our best 22.

Like this team by iGNITER with a couple of changes.

B - Toovey Brown Goldsack
HB - Williams Frost Langdon
C - Sidebottom Adams Swan
HF - Cloke Varcoe Blair
F - Elliott White Karnezis
R - Witts Pendlebury Thomas
INT - DeGoey Crisp Kennedy Broomhead

With apologies to Gault, Grundy.
Gault will play cause witts won't be fit enough

Just an interesting thought about Josh Thomas:

Every so often he has stand-out performances without being consistent...

For example:

2014 Rd 22 win over GWS - JT 29 touches, 8 tackles, 3 goals.
2014 Rd 13 loss to Dogs - JT 22 touches, 5 tackles, 1 goal.
2013 Rd 22 win over WCE - JT 35 touches, 8 marks, 1 goal.
2013 Rd 13 loss to Power - JT 25 touches, 7 marks.
2013 Rd 11 win over Dees - JT 27 touches, 7 marks, 2 goals.
2013 Rd 7 loss to Freo - JT 28 touches, 7 marks, 4 tackles.

Beams did not play in any of these games ;)

What a post! Beautifully said.
One prime example of the unreliability of the kicking efficiency stat. Is, if you kick the perfect ball lace out to a teammate who through pressure, battling the elements or pure lack of skill drops the mark it's deemed as an ineffective kick! You only need your team mates to let you down three or four times in a game for it to have a profound impact on your efficiency.

Kicks to a dropped mark are effective.

Round 1:
FB:Toovey Brown Wiliams
HB:Oxley Frost Langdon
M:Broomy Swan Sidey
HF:Elliott Cloke DeGoey
FF:Fasolo Gault White

R:Grundy Pendles Adams

B:Varcoe Karnezis Thomas
Sub:Freeman

With the loss of Greenwood, I'm hoping Adams can stand up, and I'd bring in Thomas to assist in that role.

With Brisbanes lack of KPFs, it suits us so we can rest Reid for another week. Brown and Frost to cover their talls.

I did have Sinclair running off half back, but in the end I swapped him with Oxley. Oxley is a better kick, and with Langdon the only decent kick in defence, I think it's important to have more balance there. Will be good to give Oxley a shot after a year out with injury, especially after his 21 disposals last game.

Despite a quiet start from Varcoe, I think he deserves a spot to prove he can turn things around. He's only just in my team, as a few others are too like White.

I've been an advocate for Goldsack over Blair, but never all that confident he could hold his spot from some of the younger guys coming through.

I think Karnezis has shown enough, playing both sides well (more so than Goldsack), particularly in NAB1 collecting 3 goals, 15 disposals and laying a team high 5 tackles.

Will be interesting to see how Witts goes in the VFL this week. Im hoping for big things from him this year. A great game from him on the weekend could push one of White or Gault out of the side.

One thing if for sure, is that I hope we play Cloke at CHF and have him running his opponent ragged all over the ground, opening up our forward line.

I think by the end of the year, our side will be starting to take much better shape with Scharenberg, Witts, Seedsman and Greenwood coming back from injury. Add some experience to the young brigade and I'm hoping our team is looking something like:

FB:Seedsman Brown Wiliams
HB:Scharenburg Reid Langdon
M:Swan Greenwood Sidey
HF:Elliott Cloke DeGoey
FF:Fasolo Gault/Moore Witts

R:Grundy Pendles Adams

B:Karnezis Broomy Freeman (Frost if playing against 3 tall forwards)
Sub: Kennedy

Emg: Maynard Moore/Gault Thomas Crisp

Hey guys,

I know I come posting on your board in a very difficult time for a lot of you collingwood fans, but I was wondering if anyone could provide their insight.

I currently have Josh Thomas as my last starting forward in my ultimate footy team. Let's assume he gets the book thrown at him (I hope he doesn't for your clubs sake) who do you guys think will be expecting to see more midfield time and the better performing player out of Broomhead or Kennedy fantasy wise? And is their position in the 22 fairly secure?

I know broomhead has had somewhat of an underwhelming preseason, but he seems the more capable of the two. Crisp and adams are already off the board, and freeman isn't a forward unfortunately.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)

Good luck with the rest of this drama, while the situation looks bleak, here's hoping for the best.

Hey guys,

I know I come posting on your board in a very difficult time for a lot of you collingwood fans, but I was wondering if anyone could provide their insight.

I currently have Josh Thomas as my last starting forward in my ultimate footy team. Let's assume he gets the book thrown at him (I hope he doesn't for your clubs sake) who do you guys think will be expecting to see more midfield time and the better performing player out of Broomhead or Kennedy fantasy wise? And is their position in the 22 fairly secure?

I know broomhead has had somewhat of an underwhelming preseason, but he seems the more capable of the two. Crisp and adams are already off the board, and freeman isn't a forward unfortunately.

Good luck with the rest of this drama, while the situation looks bleak, here's hoping for the best.
Do you seriously think any of us give a hot shit about how your SC team is going to fare in the wake of what is happening right now?

Do you seriously think any of us give a hot shit about how your SC team is going to fare in the wake of what is happening right now?

Im merely asking as to who you supporters think this will affect your starting 22 and the rollover affect form it.

If you don't feel like providing an answer then don't reply? Not trying to be a smart ass, was just asking a simple question.

If you really feel that adversely too it then have a mod delete it.

Im merely asking as to who you supporters think this will affect your starting 22 and the rollover affect form it.

If you don't feel like providing an answer then don't reply? Not trying to be a smart ass, was just asking a simple question.

I'd be taking Broomhead

Hey guys,

Adams

I may have come off a bit abrasive and for that I apologize. As for who may fill the void in your fantasy team, Spider Burton would be a smokey for our starting 22.

"Hot shit" is a phrase that more people should use. Not abrasive at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kicks to a dropped mark are effective.

Only if the target player who drops the mark manages to regain position straight away. If the opposition player gets it its not effective.

Just like you can kick it 2 meters too short to a player but if the target get the ball its effective despite being a crap kick.

Hey guys,

Not sure I can help that much but I will be respectfully to you. As a fellow supercoacher, there is not that much between and if either get in likely to wear the vest. Would think that Kennedy has the runs on the board though at this stage. Broomhead will be a good player but not sure he will accrue points.

Hey guys,

Long-term Freeman. For Round 1, probably Blair.

FB: Toovey Brown Wiliams
HB: Seedsman Frost Langdon

I think the backline is solid without being spectacular. I'm not 100% sure if Seedsman is ready to go, though? I haven't seen him during the pre-season.

M: Varcoe Adams Sidey
R: Grundy Pendles Swan

It's a worry because there isn't a whole lot of speed there. If we can break even, then we are more than halfway this game, because the Lions will be relying on midfield dominance most weeks.

HF: Elliott Cloke Broomhead
FF: Fasolo White Karnezis

I really think we need some speed down here but I don't see that on the list. I hate Jesse White at full forward but there isn't much else in terms of option - we really need to give Karnezis a go.

B: Freeman, Witts, Blair, Crisp

It's mostly just the best of the rest. I could see De Goey playing in Broomhead's spot or Oxley in Seedsman's, potentially.

"Hot shit" is a phrase that more people should use. Not abrasive at all.
I just felt I may have been a bit too aggressive with an opposition poster who decided to enter our board at an obvious time of unrest under the guise of asking about fantasy football in a non fantasy football thread.

In saying that, all opposition posters should kiss the ground our mods walk on. They are the Switzerland of BF.

I just felt I may have been a bit too aggressive with an opposition poster who decided to enter our board at an obvious time of unrest under the guise of asking about fantasy football in a non fantasy football thread.

In saying that, all opposition posters should kiss the ground our mods walk on. They are the Switzerland of BF.

I thought your response was warranted. Our mods ar pretty cool aren't they?

I hate doing these because what I expect and what I hope for rarely align. I am usually pretty close but I just don't rate guys like Dwyer, Blair, Sinclair and to a lesser extent Goldsack.

What I would pick:

Toovey, Frost, Williams
Oxley, Brown, Langdon
Steele, Pendlebury, Kennedy
White, Cloke, Karnezis
Elliott, Gault, Fasolo

Foll: Grundy, Swan, Adams
Int: Broomhead, Ramsay, Varcoe
Sub: Crisp

I expect Blair, Goldsack, Sinclair and Dwyer to be in the side, probably at the expense of Karnezis, Gault, Broomhead and Ramsay.

In all honesty, I couldn't see a fantasy relevant thread on the first couple of pages apart from joining a super coach league, so decided to see how you thought this would affect your starting line up

Probably on of Broomhead, Kennedy, De Goey, Freeman, maybe even Fasolo. Though Buckley selection is a mystery and you should probably wait till team selection and go on gut feel.

For mine In a line-up point of view I'd replace him with De Goey as the inside mid/forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Collingwood's Best 22 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Back