Collingwood's decline

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It always irked me when Malthouse said Collingwood were the better team at the time. 2010 was a lucky year. Gift wrapped by the dysfunction going on at the cats.

Everyone goes on about 08, but we were clearly the best in 10' and then all hell broke loose.

All teams need some luck.

Malthouse was lucky Leigh Brown fell into our laps with pick 70 odd.
He was lucky Jolly's wife wears the pants and demanded a return home.
He was lucky that StKilda allowed us to retain Goldsack or Maccaffer in the Ball non trade and still get ball.
And he was lucky that we went largely injury free
And he was lucky that Milne didnt kick the winning goal.

This is the problem with installing a favourite son as coach, the fans and club give him way too much leeway. James Hird as the ultimate example of this.

well didn't work with voss or ratten (although he wasn't quite in legend status the way buckley and hird are)

What the hell has happened to Grundy? Has he been injured ? The Pies were smashed in the ruck and for clearances against The Crows and Eagles.

Witts is a workhorse who gives 100 percent, but at this stage, he is just not up to being the no 1 ruck.

Bet they wish they could have Ceglar back.

What the hell has happened to Grundy? Has he been injured ? The Pies were smashed in the ruck and for clearances against The Crows and Eagles.

Witts is a workhorse who gives 100 percent, but at this stage, he is just not up to being the no 1 ruck.

Grundy will play this week 100%.

Nothing has "happened" to him. Tell me another 20 year old ruckman who is holding down the # 1 spot at another club.

He was lucky that StKilda allowed us to retain Goldsack or Maccaffer in the Ball non trade and still get ball.

Luck plays a huge role in winning v losing flags.

If the father/son bidding system was in place prior to 2007 Geelong would not have had Selwood. Collingwood may have had him as they had 2 of the next 3 picks.
Geelong win prelim by 6 points with Selwood starring. Put him in a Pies jumper and the flag would have been won by Port or Collingwood.

By who? Based on what?

I think it's just hearsay repeated by those wanting the "Buckley is a c*nt, and always will be" fantasy to be true.
Agree that there have been no substantiated reports but lots of rumours. Still I wouldn't be surprised to see confirmation of this. Again this is another one if you like but I was told by a friend who does some consultancy work down at Collingwood that the club was not worried about letting him go. Daisy had burnt a few bridges at the Pies and it was really a good decision all round for him to go. Of course going back to being coached by Mick was probably as big a factor as any.

Well last 3 Games Grundy has been playing Really Well in the VFL. BOG vs Essendon VFL Team on Saturday.

Surprised he has not come in but you would think he will come in this wee for game vs Brisbane

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what i'm curious about is Buckley the type of man who would say " given coaching a good crack; its just not working out for me and for the good of the club I'll resign?
the sad thing about all the criticism is how it may be tarnishing/tempering the view some collingwood fans may have of their champion captain.
so is it best for buckley to bite the bullet say its not working out and move on?

Nether Grundy nor Witts being early in their careers can offer much around the grund (neither can Ceglar for that matter) so rightly or wrongly Witts and Grundy arent playing many senior games together. Nothings wrong with Grundy, in fact he's starring in the VFL. Should have playes against the Eagles in hindsight but hindsight is easy.

no idea why they are yet to replace chris dawes....

..it's leigh brown they havent replaced.. ..first they tried dawes in that role, but he is a kpf, and never a dual role ruck/fwd.. ..then lynch, but he was done and dusted.. ..now white, who has been a battler, with the odd good game..

..it's leigh brown they havent replaced.. ..first they tried dawes in that role, but he is a kpf, and never a dual role ruck/fwd.. ..then lynch, but he was done and dusted.. ..now white, who has been a battler, with the odd good game..

Witts and Grundy will be a tandem force soon enough. Reid was also meant to play alongside White this year but injury put paid to that so White spend a lot of the season not playing the role he was recruited to play. And theres a kid called Moore in the pipeline too. Karnezis is another tallish forward recruited this year who has been troubled by injury. I expect him to play next week.

My biggest concern with the pies, is they are not pushing for top 4, and they are loaded too top heavy with respect to $. Wouldn't be out of the question to lose a few good players in the next few years. Nobody wants to hang around a club, being underpaid with no real optimism of making the Grand Final.

My biggest concern with the pies, is they are not pushing for top 4, and they are loaded too top heavy with respect to $. Wouldn't be out of the question to lose a few good players in the next few years. Nobody wants to hang around a club, being underpaid with no real optimism of making the Grand Final.

We've been freeing up salary cap since 2010. Not sure we are especially top heavy, in fact the critics have been saying the exact opposite to you , we've done too much of that already with Krakouer Didak Jolly Shaw Thomas last year, Maxwell and maybe Ball to go this year, Swan possibly next year. We dont have many player in their 30's.

We've been freeing up salary cap since 2010. Not sure we are especially top heavy, in fact the critics have been saying the exact opposite to you , we've done too much of that already with Krakouer Didak Jolly Shaw Thomas last year, Maxwell and maybe Ball to go this year, Swan possibly next year. We dont have many player in their 30's.
maybe I'm over estimating. I heard somewhere you had 3 players at 2 Million. And when you look at guys like Beams, who would be offered 600K at another club, it may be hard.

she had depression and wanted to move closer to home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back