Collingwood's Rolling Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Toovey couldn't get a game because we chose to get games in Marsh. We could really use Toovey in 2017. What a mess we have become.
If Toovey is the answer, it must have been an interesting question

Sharenberg won't be in the starting 22, I highly doubt Ramsay will be either.

Perhaps not at the start of the year but hopefully both will be by the end.

Are you talking about start of season? Please clarify I know this is a rolling 22 but lets see how next 5-6 Months pan out

Start of season

Start of season
I can see them both in, at the start, esp Ramsay.
Is there any ongoing unresolved injury concerns with either of the boys.
My understanding is both will be fine to do full,pre season?
Or is that incorrect esp Ramsay?

Our defensive stocks before we all have cows.
As it stands.
(Marsh i agree is a potential loss, as he seems above just depth and border 22; Frost was pure depth, athletic yes, but a nice C grade depth player.)

Key position backs:
Reid (if fit, A grade)
Brown (stays? Solid citizen, experienced B - grade)
Keeffe (the unknown this season, really tall, better than Frost let's just say that)

Back non keynposition:
Maynard (our bull in the making; the future)
Howe (shows lots of class)
Langdon
Ramsay
Scharenberg (if fit? Then who knows could be the real deal; and with Howe can fill third tall type role)
Goldsack (utility, experienced and something to depth as required)
Williams (unknown where he's at, no other team wants him?)
Sinclair (much maligned, literally puts his head on the line every time)
Smith (honest broker)
Oxley (if stays you'd think he's a flanker type)

Others to roll through there if required or per need:

Varcoe (pressure points, adds something)
Adams (gun with drive)
Aish (can see him as classy down back)
White (I'm one of the few that could see him do ok there if required)
Thomas (maybe that's he's best chance of returning)
Crisp (needs basis could do worse than him)

To sum up:
The flanks or non key position types it's more than adequate, not a concern for mine esp if we get to see most fully fit.
Key positions a bit more fragile.
Maybe Brown stays and all things considered well be well enough stocked.

B - RAMSAY - BROWN / KEEFE - GOLDSACK

HB - HOWE - REID - MAYNARD

Comments - I am not really fussed if its Brown or Keefe. I actually think Keefe is better suited to how we want to play the game but obviously will need time. I'd be quite happy to lose Brown though and have him there and accept he will take 6 weeks or so to find a groove. Ramsay picks himself if fit as coach on record saying he loves him. Goldsack fitness crucial but experience is needed down there along with his intercepting. Rest speak for themselves. Adams a rough chance to spend time back next year. Did a few times this year and was excellent.

Mids - Wells - Pendlebury - Sidebottom

Rucks Grundy - Treloar - Adams

Comments - Pretty good group isn't it. Wells will be in their as they want his delivery forward. Many will go through that area including Varcoe as will want his run.

HF - De Goey - Mayne - Fasolo

F - Elliott - Moore - Cox

Comments - Wont really strike the fear of god into many teams will it. Suspect thats a problem being assessed at list management committee and maybe solved in 2018

I/C - Scharenberg - Aish - Crisp - Varcoe

Leaves a few out and to be fair a lot of players could snag those last spots. Sinclair, Smith, Langdon, White, Greenwood, Phillips, Wills, Broomhead and Blair. Not sure if Williams stays or goes.

If no more trades then would think likely to end up with 24 (from GC for Witts), 28 , something around 40 for Frost, 47, 61 for Cloke and 65. The last 3 picks will be ample for the two F/ S boys IMO. Don't think we will get anything for Marsh. I know he has his personal issues but there is a way to do things and a way not to do them.

I think we will also aim up at a DFA who fills a gap down back or in the ruck.

B: Jeremy Howe ~ Lachlan Keeffe ~ Brayden Maynard
HB: Travis Varcoe ~ Ben Reid ~ Jackson Ramsay

C: Daniel Wells ~ Taylor Adams ~ Jack Crisp
R: Brodie Grundy ~ Scott Pendlebury ~ Adam Treloar

HF: Alex Fasolo ~ Chris Mayne ~ Steele Sidebottom
F: Jesse White ~ Darcy Moore ~ Jamie Elliott

I/C: Jordan De Goey ~ Tim Broomhead ~ Ben Sinclair ~ Jarryd Blair

B: Jeremy Howe | Lachlan Keeffe | Ben Sinclair
HB: Travis Varcoe | Ben Reid | Jackson Ramsay

C: Daniel Wells | Taylor Adams | Jack Crisp
R: Brodie Grundy | Scott Pendlebury | Adam Treloar

HF: Alex Fasolo | Darcy Moore | Steele Sidebottom
F: Jesse White | Mason Cox | Jamie Elliott

I/C: Jordan De Goey | Chris Mayne | Adam Oxley/Blair | Maynard or Broomhead

Personally I would trade De Goey if it was my team, but that's a different thing.

I think i would probably start Mayne over Fasolo but it doesn't really matter. I really think we should take a good shot at Cox. Give him the minutes! He can chop out for Grundy and provide relief and a massive target forward who has shown he can kick straighter then "Choke".
We can rotate him out when we need to go smaller.

Also i would rather have Varcoe on the wing but yeah.. can't find any other defensive stocks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My Rolling 22 has undergone a bit of a transformation with Marsh and Brown leaving (Although no trade for Marsh is official yet, he comes out of my team as he is obviously suffering personal issues)

BEST 22

B: Sinclair, Goldsack, Langdon
HB: Howe, Reid, Maynard
C: Wells, Treloar, Sidebottom
HF: Fasolo, White, De Goey
F: Mayne, Moore, Elliott

R: Grundy, Pendlebury, Adams

I: Varcoe, Crisp, Greenwood, Aish

Ins: Goldsack, Langdon, Sinclair
Outs: Brown, Marsh, Smith

Ultimately, I think Keeffe takes the position of full back. However, after 2 years out of the system I can't plot him in until he gets out on the training track and we see what sort of condition he is in. He becomes a vital player, but can't break into my team yet.

This ultimately meant that I needed to bring in players that can defend. This is what cost Smith his spot, and why I put Sinclair in there over him. It really is a battle between Sinclair and Ramsey for me. I lean towards Ramsey, but he is obviously coming off a serious injury and hasn't got enough experience to just slot back in. He'll need a solid pre-season before I can consider.

Langdon and Goldsack ultimately come into the side as undersized full backs. However, the current defence can all zone well, which is where I think Buckley wants to go with the backline. All defenders can take an intercept mark which is positive.

Going forward in trade week, I think it is essential to find another full back as coverage. I also think we need to be careful with WHE and not let the ball slip there. He would slot nicely into my half forward line which at the moment has De Goey in there as an overflow midfielder.

B: Jeremy Howe ~ Lachlan Keeffe ~ Brayden Maynard
HB: Travis Varcoe ~ Ben Reid ~ Jack Crisp

C: Daniel Wells ~ Taylor Adams ~ Steele Sidebottom
R: Brodie Grundy ~ Scott Pendlebury ~ Adam Treloar

HF: Alex Fasolo ~ Jesse White ~ Chris Mayne
F: Ben Crocker ~ Darcy Moore ~ Josh Smith

I/C: Jordan De Goey ~ Rupert Wills ~ James Aish ~ Tyson Goldsack

Depth: Ben Sinclair, Levi Greenwood, Jarryd Blair, Tom Phillips, Mason Cox

After Round 5: Tom Langdon, Jackson Ramsay, Jamie Elliott, Tim Broomhead, Matthew Scharenberg

As of right now
B: Ramsay Keeffe/Goldsack* Maynard
HB: Howe Reid Sinclair
C: Wells Treloar Sidebottom
HF: De Goey White Mayne
F: Elliott Moore Fasolo
Foll: Grundy Pendlebury Adams
Int: Varcoe Aish Crisp Cox/Greenwood (last spot depending on match ups)

*depending on match ups

My Rolling 22 has undergone a bit of a transformation with Marsh and Brown leaving (Although no trade for Marsh is official yet, he comes out of my team as he is obviously suffering personal issues)

BEST 22

B: Sinclair, Goldsack, Langdon
HB: Howe, Reid, Maynard
C: Wells, Treloar, Sidebottom
HF: Fasolo, White, De Goey
F: Mayne, Moore, Elliott

R: Grundy, Pendlebury, Adams

I: Varcoe, Crisp, Greenwood, Aish

Ins: Goldsack, Langdon, Sinclair
Outs: Brown, Marsh, Smith

Ultimately, I think Keeffe takes the position of full back. However, after 2 years out of the system I can't plot him in until he gets out on the training track and we see what sort of condition he is in. He becomes a vital player, but can't break into my team yet.

This ultimately meant that I needed to bring in players that can defend. This is what cost Smith his spot, and why I put Sinclair in there over him. It really is a battle between Sinclair and Ramsey for me. I lean towards Ramsey, but he is obviously coming off a serious injury and hasn't got enough experience to just slot back in. He'll need a solid pre-season before I can consider.

Langdon and Goldsack ultimately come into the side as undersized full backs. However, the current defence can all zone well, which is where I think Buckley wants to go with the backline. All defenders can take an intercept mark which is positive.

Going forward in trade week, I think it is essential to find another full back as coverage. I also think we need to be careful with WHE and not let the ball slip there. He would slot nicely into my half forward line which at the moment has De Goey in there as an overflow midfielder.

I agree with mist of that. As it stands Goldsack is our full back. I don't actually mind that and think it could suit his strengths and limitations. He won't need to be a high possession winning third tall, but is capable on the switch, athletic and courageous.

I also agree on WHE. I think we are working on something there and trying to get someone else. Corr, Stewart, Finlayson or the like to add depth.

I still don't like Greenwood in that side. Especially if DeGoey is in there. I think we'd balance up better with Broomhead.

Funny how nobody puts Pendles in the forward line for their best 22, despite the club trying to make a story of it on the website.
Does anyone else get the feeling they are trying to find something to put a positive note on, at a time when seems to be going wrong. They are probably more likely to play him across half back, than up forward.

Funny how nobody puts Pendles in the forward line for their best 22, despite the club trying to make a story of it on the website.
Does anyone else get the feeling they are trying to find something to put a positive note on, at a time when seems to be going wrong. They are probably more likely to play him across half back, than up forward.

No doubt Pendlebury would be a handy forward, but he is always going to be best suited as a midfielder. Especially now with guys like treloar and wells taking some of the best off him.

Rd 1 best 22

B: Maynard White Sinclair
HB: Langdon Reid Howe

C: Wells Treloar Sidebottom

HF: Degoey Moore Mayne
F: Fasolo Cox Varcoe

Foll: Grundy Pendlebury Adams

Int: Aish, Crisp, Ramsay, Wills

* Elliot and Scharenberg... need a run in the VFL first. So too Keefe, but no guarantees he is ever best 22

* White to play predominantly back this year allowing Cox to take the 2nd forward and backup ruck role

B: Maynard Dunn Langdon
HB:Varcoe Reid Howe
C: Aish Adams Wells
HF:Sidebottom White Fasolo
F: Elliott Moore Mayne
R: Grundy Pendlebury Treloar

INT: Wills DeGoey Ramsay Broomhead

Depth: Scharenberg, Keeffe, Thomas, Greenwood, Cox, Blair, Goldsack, Phillips, Crocker, Williams.

B: Maynard~ Keeffe ~ Varcoe
HB: Scharenberg ~ Reid ~ Oxley

C: Wells ~ Treloar ~ Sidebottom
R: Grundy ~ Crisp~ Adams

HF: Howe ~ Moore~ Pendlebury
F: Fasola ~ Cox ~ Mayne

I/C: White ~ Aish ~ De Goey ~ Broomhead / WHE ?, Rockliff ?

Maynard, Dunn, Williams
Howe, Reid, Ramsay
Wells, Pendles, Sidebottom
White, Moore, WHE
Elliott, Fasolo, Mayne

R: Grundy, Treloar, Adams
I: Aish, Crisp, De Goey, Langdon

E: Oxley, Greenwood, Scharenberg

Also to get games: Cox, Goldsack, Blair, Keefe, Smith, Philips, Crocker, Wills, Thomas. Broomhead, Sinclair

I think we'll put an emphasis on kicking skills down back (Williams aside) and on being small and mobile up front. I can see a role for Langdon or Oxley as a third tall, forward/back swingman type. Goldsack or Schaz could easily fill that role also.

I really like the skill in that team. Really strong kicking and great mobility all over the field which would be a welcome change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood's Rolling Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back