Combined Cameron Wood thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Cameron Wood - your main target?

I tend to agree pick 14 is too expensive but at the end of the day if he brings a flag it is the best draft selection we’ve ever made. 10 to 12 year careers of potential champions is a warm and fuzzy but Buckley just retired without a flag and together with Clement and Licuria 10 premiershipless Copelands walked away from playing for Collingwood leaving just 2 B&F winners on our list.

I can’t emphasis this enough. The bloke that brings us the flag is worth whatever he cost plus our first draft selection plus $1m. Of course it isn’t as easy as picking out the bloke who will make the difference. Nevertheless the lack of a top class ruckman has heavily contributed to every finals loss we have had this century. 2 of those have been grand finals and one a preliminary final against the team than went on to win by a record margin.

The cost of our ruck inadequacy could scarcely have been greater had it been scripted by a Carlton supporter or the biggest of Eddie haters.
I mostly agree, as I believe Pick #14 is worth it in either case.

Firstly, the best available ruckman in the draft at Pick #14 is likely to be Tom Bellchambers, a 197cm kid from Tasmania. I'd rather have a 204 cm 20yr old with a couple of years development in him and proven ability to at least make it at AFL level.

Secondly, we ****ed ourselves in the ruck stakes by either picking duds or not going hard enough for out of contract players over a whole decade. If Pick #14 (and perhaps #47 on a kid) is the price of addressing this inadequacy, I'll pay it and never think twice. Do the Socceroos go the World Cup without a goalkeeper and then wonder why they lost? It's a ridiculous situation which I still can't fathom.

We need to bring this guy in:

pulpwolfvincentjules.jpg

Pretty please, with sprinkles on top, get us a ****ing ruckman!

Re: Offering pick 14 for Wood confirmed

Jabso you can explain away every deal just like you can every grand final loss. Aren’t you sick of explaining things away though? Honestly, unless we say no more excuses no matter what we will be doing this same bloody dance for another half a century. FMD if we don’t get a ruckman in the next 3 and half days and our members eat the crap they get dished at the AGM I will throw up.

Exc uses get you nothing. Results count.

Do tell Mark, how do we 'make' them come to Collingwood? If the AGM goes down as you fear, will you be the one organising the signatures or whatever to demand a spill of the board?

Jabso you can explain away every deal just like you can every grand final loss. Aren’t you sick of explaining things away though? Honestly, unless we say no more excuses no matter what we will be doing this same bloody dance for another half a century. FMD if we don’t get a ruckman in the next 3 and half days and our members eat the crap they get dished at the AGM I will throw up.

I'm just diffusing the reputation we have of chasing every big name and failing to land it.

Not getting Everitt was a matter of poor list management (i.e. overrating our list and underrating the important of ruckmen), not because of poor negotiating or because the St.Kilda list manager didn't like Balmey because he called him a ********.

Stevens, it was never going to happen. Judd you can almost throw in this basket. Gehrig I think we were a bit pigheaded though (but I forgot all the details about it).

Getting off this topic, what would be the maximum you'd throw at Wood?

I'm just diffusing the reputation we have of chasing every big name and failing to land it.

Not getting Everitt was a matter of poor list management (i.e. overrating our list and underrating the important of ruckmen), not because of poor negotiating or because the St.Kilda list manager didn't like Balmey because he called him a ********.

Stevens, it was never going to happen. Judd you can almost throw in this basket. Gehrig I think we were a bit pigheaded though (but I forgot all the details about it).

Getting off this topic, what would be the maximum you'd throw at Wood?

I would go over market value for this trade. Brisbane have us over the barrell but we must get this done.

Pick 14 looks like it may get it done. There has been talk about upgrading our second round pick and if that is true fantastic but I have a feeling they will play hard ball.

I would offer Wood a 3 year contract well above market rate as we can afford it at the moment and we must get him to tell Brisbane that he wants to come to us. I would then even throw in some steak knives to get it done

I don't hear Malthouse making excuses, he along with the club are working hard for the same thing. Where are we at? I expect a period of consolidation because we are still missing a couple of parts. A physical ruckman would be nice and a couple of good onballers. Rome wasn't built in a day and its easier to tear something down than it is to build it up. Malthouse has done an expert job of weening us off Bucks and we look solid all over the park and its been a remarkable year in that we were in every game bar the Lions match and I can't ever recall something like that.

What is the club not doing that they should be, and why still so unhappy?

I would go over market value for this trade. Brisbane have us over the barrell but we must get this done.

Pick 14 looks like it may get it done. There has been talk about upgrading our second round pick and if that is true fantastic but I have a feeling they will play hard ball.

I would offer Wood a 3 year contract well above market rate as we can afford it at the moment and we must get him to tell Brisbane that he wants to come to us. I would then even throw in some steak knives to get it done
I would even consider trading our 1st & 2nd round picks for Wood & Brisbane's 3rd round pick. I'd much rather Collingwood traded a fringe player to another club for a pick though and then perhaps use that instead.

I would even consider trading our 1st & 2nd round picks for Wood & Brisbane's 3rd round pick. I'd much rather Collingwood traded a fringe player to another club for a pick though and then perhaps use that instead.

1st round + Egan for Wood and Brisbane's 3rd rounder???

Why would Brisbane get rid of him for any less when he has a year remaining on his contract??

I hope we keep him as we know what we've got compared to the risk ya take with a pick like 14.

You can never have too many quality ruckmen....

Are you sure he has a year left on his contract?

Am reading an article now that says...
"The fact is he is an uncontracted player and the trade period is about weighing up whether someone offers you something (in exchange) that you think will make you better but he (Wood) is a valuable player to us." - Mathews.

Doesn't sound like it to me :rolleyes:

I didnt get that grace on his board, (and he led the charge to have me banned) so I dont see why he should get it on ours.

There are plenty of others to disagree with on here

Brisbane board has namby pamby sookie sookie la la rules. As long as they aren't disrespectful discussions like this are fine unless they get out of hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no point trading Egan, he is like a spectuative mining stock at the moment, can turn out into a pot of gold or just a bunch of rocks.

I would be willing to take the risk that we let go a pot of gold if it secures us a good long term ruck prospect.

Don't know about you I just can't take watching us lose big games due to incapable rucks.

So if getting rid of a flashy half fwd/winger gets us a deal on Wood then Sell, Sell, Sell!!!

Are you sure he has a year left on his contract?

Am reading an article now that says...
"The fact is he is an uncontracted player and the trade period is about weighing up whether someone offers you something (in exchange) that you think will make you better but he (Wood) is a valuable player to us." - Mathews.

Doesn't sound like it to me :rolleyes:

Definitely contracted till end of 2008.

Lethal has either slipped up, or been misquoted.

I would be willing to take the risk that we let go a pot of gold if it secures us a good long term ruck prospect.

Don't know about you I just can't take watching us lose big games due to incapable rucks.

So if getting rid of a flashy half fwd/winger gets us a deal on Wood then Sell, Sell, Sell!!!
I would only include Egan in the deal if he was requested by Brisbane (which is very doubtful). We'd be better off including either other players or picks to get the deal done if needed.

We should try and get the deal done early while other clubs are focusing on other ruckmen, although I'm sure Brisbane will hold things up a little.

I would only include Egan in the deal if he was requested by Brisbane (which is very doubtful). We'd be better off including either other players or picks to get the deal done if needed.

We should try and get the deal done early while other clubs are focusing on other ruckmen, although I'm sure Brisbane will hold things up a little.

We would love to get this done quickly however Brisbane will drag their heels. The longer it goes the more desperate we are likely to become and the more we would offer.

If Blake is likely to stay at Geelong then Brisbane will wait so St Kilda have a chance to offer for Wood and possibly bump up his price.

what would be the maximum you'd throw at Wood?

If it came down to it i would give Pick 14 + our second round. Only because i feel that he is the best available so we CANT let him pass. I wouldn't be impressed with bugger all picks left for us, but i'd be more p***ed if we offered nothing and got nothing. Sure we can draft a ruckman, but don't expect to see much of him for a couple of years at least. Wood will play in '08 and should push for the #1 ruck spot with plenty of years left. That is what we need, and we all know it.

The way i would approach the trade is offering Brisbane Pick 14 and 31 for Wood and their second pick - as others have said on here. I'd say Brisbane would refuse this as there are other clubs interested in Wood too so then we offer pick 14 for him. I feel that this would give us a pretty good chance to secure him but if they played hardball, or Sydney was still in the picture then i dont think we should gamble - offer our second pick as well for Wood and their third pick.

In the end, i would be extremely disappointed if we dont get him... unless we got Warnock or Hille - but can't see the later two happening - this year anyway.

only problem is, this mining stock has no decent announcements for the last few years, would you buy a dodgy stock with a history of losses over the last few years? i think not.

Never said i didnt want a ruck, and pick 14 might do the deal, Egan doesnt need to be in this trade nor will Brisbane be interested.

i cant see sainters trading their first rounder for a ruckman. their list isnt overly young. id imagine theyd need to eject youth into their team and will use the draft. thats just my opinion i could be wrong

swannies i cant see gettin wood on the basis he would be third in line again behind everitt and jolly

why do no rucks wannna come to the pies? number one spot is up for grabs more so than any other club.

If it came down to it i would give Pick 14 + our second round. Only because i feel that he is the best available so we CANT let him pass. I wouldn't be impressed with bugger all picks left for us, but i'd be more p***ed if we offered nothing and got nothing. Sure we can draft a ruckman, but don't expect to see much of him for a couple of years at least. Wood will play in '08 and should push for the #1 ruck spot with plenty of years left. That is what we need, and we all know it.

The way i would approach the trade is offering Brisbane Pick 14 and 31 for Wood and their second pick - as others have said on here. I'd say Brisbane would refuse this as there are other clubs interested in Wood too so then we offer pick 14 for him. I feel that this would give us a pretty good chance to secure him but if they played hardball, or Sydney was still in the picture then i dont think we should gamble - offer our second pick as well for Wood and their third pick.

In the end, i would be extremely disappointed if we dont get him... unless we got Warnock or Hille - but can't see the later two happening - this year anyway.

Totally agree 1Percenter.

I'm not very happy about the lack of negotiation power that we have in this trade week. One way that we can apply some pressure to Brisbane is to look at other options such as Hille or Warnock. This will have two benefits as if everything falls through we have a back up option and will let Lethal and Gubby know that we are not desperate to get Wood and help our negotiations.

I giggled when I wrote desperate to get wood!!

only problem is, this mining stock has no decent announcements for the last few years, would you buy a dodgy stock with a history of losses over the last few years? i think not.

Never said i didnt want a ruck, and pick 14 might do the deal, Egan doesnt need to be in this trade nor will Brisbane be interested.

Egan is a very interesting case.

He was our first pick in the draft that we also grabbed T.Cloke and Rusling.

Rusling has show far produced less, but is ridiculously highly touted by the majority on this board.

Egan's second half of 2006 was quality, he had cemented himself in our best 22, and was arguably our most effective forward as Didak was slowing down due to his injury, and Rocca and Taz both fell away as the season wore on. Yet because he is laconic people dont rate him at all.

Egan has produced better footballer than Rusling, was a more highly rated junior than Rusling.......yet Egan is a lost cause according to most, while Rusling is almost untouchable to some!

But back to the topic

Wood for pick 14 would be a fair trade, we get a promising ruck who is ready to step into a major role at AFL level, and the brions get fair compensation for spending 3 years developing him!

i cant see sainters trading their first rounder for a ruckman. their list isnt overly young. id imagine theyd need to eject youth into their team and will use the draft. thats just my opinion i could be wrong

swannies i cant see gettin wood on the basis he would be third in line again behind everitt and jolly

why do no rucks wannna come to the pies? number one spot is up for grabs more so than any other club.

Read that the Saints are going after Blake very aggressively and offering him money that Geelong won't be able to match. I guess the reason they are after Blake is that he would be cheaper than Wood. I'm just worried that if they are that serious for a ruckman then they may offer something good to Brisbane.

Yep, that pretty much sums up how I'd approach it too. I'd be prepared to pay more than Wood is worth if that was what it took. Poor list management has left us in this position. The only thing more culpable than putting ourselves in this position in the first place, would be letting it persist longer than necessary. This whole situation is pretty bloody frustrating because mug punters like us have been banging on about the ruck fiasco for years. If we could see it, why couldn't our very well-paid football department?

Read that the Saints are going after Blake very aggressively and offering him money that Geelong won't be able to match. I guess the reason they are after Blake is that he would be cheaper than Wood. I'm just worried that if they are that serious for a ruckman then they may offer something good to Brisbane.
It sounds like they're offering a good deal to Blake rather than Geelong though, Brisbane on the other hand have Wood contracted and would need a good deal going to them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Combined Cameron Wood thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back