Combined Kurt Tippett contract negotiation/trade possibility thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cloke and Tippett will surely go down as the two most overpaid footballers in history.
Both of them have achieved more than Phil Davis, Tom Scully, Karmichael Hunt and Israel Folau (though there are other considerations for the second two.)

Davis and Scully might eventually be worth what they are being paid but they aren't now.

Cloke and Tippett will surely go down as the two most overpaid footballers in history.

Ignorance at its best. Power Forwards are rare as hens teeth in the league at the moment. Name one player who you could replace them with at this point in time with similar output and impact on the game.

If Cloke leaves the Pies they are a long way off a premiership. Leaves them with Dawes and some kids to lead the attack :D

You put Cloke in the Carlton side and it makes them instant premiership threats.

Same can be said for Tippett. We do have Tex but part of the reason Tex is getting half his goals is because a lot of attention has to be paid to Tippett. Smack and Jenkins have proven nothing as of yet. Not to mention the ruck load he takes off Sauce. If Tipp leaves we are a lot further from a flag than we are closer.

A premium has to be paid to Power Forwards at this point in time simply because they are so rare.

Now Tippett wont get close to $1mill playing here but he is worth every cent of the $500-$600k he will get.

Ignorance at its best. Power Forwards are rare as hens teeth in the league at the moment. Name one player who you could replace them with at this point in time with similar output and impact on the game.

If Cloke leaves the Pies they are a long way off a premiership. Leaves them with Dawes and some kids to lead the attack :D

You put Cloke in the Carlton side and it makes them instant premiership threats.

Same can be said for Tippett. We do have Tex but part of the reason Tex is getting half his goals is because a lot of attention has to be paid to Tippett. Smack and Jenkins have proven nothing as of yet. Not to mention the ruck load he takes off Sauce. If Tipp leaves we are a lot further from a flag than we are closer.

A premium has to be paid to Power Forwards at this point in time simply because they are so rare.

Now Tippett wont get close to $1mill playing here but he is worth every cent of the $500-$600k he will get.

I would take Walker over either... Just saying

Tippett is the highest paid player at the Crows but for a power forward, his kicking for goal is absolutely woeful. That's enough for me to believe he is overpaid. I will never consider him an elite forward while he still butchers kicks from 30m out in front. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer Kurt stays with the club and finally starts living up to his fat pay check but it wouldn't be the end of the world if he left.

I think based on output/potential he is worth paying big dollars but doesn't deserve to be the highest paid player the club. Also would prefer they pay out $60 000 of his contract money to somebody who can teach him how to kick. The club has failed at this time and time again, maybe time to get some outside help.

I would take Walker over either... Just saying

Taylor Walker is not a Power Forward. He never crashes packs and brings the ball to ground. He is a lead up forward.

Mitch Clark would be the closest comparison I can think of and he is reportedly on $800k+ a year.

Taylor Walker is not a Power Forward. He never crashes packs and brings the ball to ground. He is a lead up forward.

Mitch Clark would be the closest comparison I can think of and he is reportedly on $800k+ a year.

I think the question is akin to being asked whether you would prefer your left nut or your right nut removed. The preference is to have both.....isn't it???

I think the question is akin to being asked whether you would prefer your left nut or your right nut removed. The preference is to have both.....isn't it???

Well thats what happened when I got married :D

I never said they weren't good players - I said they were overpaid.

Is Tippett the best player at Adelaide?

I never said they weren't good players - I said they were overpaid.

Is Tippett the best player at Adelaide?

I don't think there is a best player at Adelaide. I think there are 3 players who are equally important for us. I don't think we have a stand out player. Those players are Danger, Tippett and Jacobs. If we lost any of them we would suffer big time. Its so hard to label a player 'the best' at a footy club because no one player can do it all. However they can excel in their craft/position they play.

My point is how can you claim they are overpaid when thats what the market is demanding. If Cloke is fielding a few offers for $1mill+ then obviously thats what he is worth. If Tippett is fielding offers of $700-$1mill from other clubs then perhaps he is being underpaid. In an era when Power Forwards are very rare the ones in the game will demand a premium and rightfully so.

Plus we have to pay a premium to interstate players to keep them in the state. Lets face it, SA doesn't have the allure of a VIC or QLd to a younger male.

Tippett is not our best player. Infact I rate him outside our best 5... Thommo, Danger, Walker, Sloane and Sauce are infront..

He is important to our future but he should not be our highest paid player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There seems to be a serious lack of understanding regarding the basic economic concept of supply and demand in this thread. Tippett may not be in our best 5 players right now, but I'd say he is our least replaceable player, and a type who is currently in heavy demand league wide.

How many key forwards have we had in our 21 years as good or better than Tippett over a decent period of time? Modra. Now Walker. That's it.

How many midfielders have we had that are as good as Thompson, Dangerfield and Sloane who people are trying to say are all better players than Tippett?

Channel 10 reported things are going slowly. Kurt wanting to talk at the end of the year and we are trying to bring it forward. Now he bent us over last time and we've obviously reduced our contract offer this time. If Brisbane throw a ridiculous offer to him I reckon he will take it. He gets back to QLD, earns more money and Brisbane have recently shown some promise.

All our other players have done the right thing by the club by getting their deals done early, that doesn't seem to be a consideration for Kurt.

Channel 10 reported things are going slowly. Kurt wanting to talk at the end of the year and we are trying to bring it forward. Now he bent us over last time and we've obviously reduced our contract offer this time. If Brisbane throw a ridiculous offer to him I reckon he will take it. He gets back to QLD, earns more money and Brisbane have recently shown some promise.

All our other players have done the right thing by the club by getting their deals done early, that doesn't seem to be a consideration for Kurt.
So I wonder how Tippett's contract negotiations will affect other negotiations. I had read somewhere (probably in this thread) that Mackay's contract negotiations were dependent on Kurt's contract being finalised. Are there any more starting 22 player contracts that are due that may also be affected?

There seems to be a serious lack of understanding regarding the basic economic concept of supply and demand in this thread. Tippett may not be in our best 5 players right now, but I'd say he is our least replaceable player, and a type who is currently in heavy demand league wide.

Meh good players are always in demand. If he goes we give his spot to someone else. If we can't pick up a decent tall forward through trading we give the spot to a younger player. If we cant develop our young forwards and fill the gap, its a shaming indictment on the depth of the club and its ability to develop players.

Rowey said that about Mackay, who apparently mentioned it when he was in the studio.

Prideof, agree and that's why I reckon he will go. He is going to demand big bucks which we won't pay.

Meh good players are always in demand. If he goes we give his spot to someone else. If we can't pick up a decent tall forward through trading we give to spot to a younger player. If we cant develop our young forwards and fill the gap, its a shaming indictment on the depth of the club and its ability to develop players.

And in 21 years, how many decent tall forwards have we traded in or developed? I count 3, Tippett, Walker and Modra. There isn't any meh if we lose Kurt. It will be massive blow, we've got the chance to build a once in a generation forward duo, but Douggy has taken all the money.

Brisbane = 1st rnd pick + Polec
GC = 1st rnd pick + Day

We throw in a 3/4 rnd pick if needed.

So Polec= Day? Nope.
Smith and Polec have a similar level of ability, solid best 22 players but not stars or game-changers. Day has injury and workrate issues. Do not want.

Meh good players are always in demand. If he goes we give his spot to someone else. If we can't pick up a decent tall forward through trading we give the spot to a younger player. If we cant develop our young forwards and fill the gap, its a shaming indictment on the depth of the club and its ability to develop players.

Way to miss the point completely.

So Polec= Day? Nope.
Smith and Polec have a similar level of ability, solid best 22 players but not stars or game-changers. Day has injury and workrate issues. Do not want.
o'meara and their first rounder for Kurt and our first rounder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back