Combined Kurt Tippett contract negotiation/trade possibility thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tippett for Gibbs
Not%2BSure%2Bif%2Bserious.jpg

No chance of that deal even getting to the trade table. JOM would be untouchable from a GC perspective.
maybe, but I'm not sure what else they have that we would want unless there is a top draftee we are deadest keen on

maybe, but I'm not sure what else they have that we would want unless there is a top draftee we are deadest keen on
Exactly. He won't end up at GC (for reasons that have already been discussed numerous times). Brisbane are the only serious contender if "going home" is his endgame.

Is there any chance of him doing a Mitch Clark and ending up somewhere else?

So I wonder how Tippett's contract negotiations will affect other negotiations. I had read somewhere (probably in this thread) that Mackay's contract negotiations were dependent on Kurt's contract being finalised. Are there any more starting 22 player contracts that are due that may also be affected?
yeah I heard that but it's stupid cos they have signed Lyons since that statement. It's not as if, if Tippett goes we suddenly pay Mackay another $200 000 a year. Surely we can sign him now with or without Tippett's signature.

GC first rounder to be likely 1 or 2
Brisbane's first rounder likely to be between 6 and 8 (GC, GWS, PA, Mel, Mel, WB, WB, Bris - Draft experts ??)

Now I don't think Tippo will go.

However, would GC give up pick 1 or 2 highly doubtful, have they got anything else to offer - probably not - Bennell would be good :D
Would Brissy give up 6 or 8, just maybe ? perhaps a combo of players picks etc, Tippo + 1st Round for Bris 1st Round & Polec, I think is almost there, depending on respective finishing positions, we could get a crack at Toumpas, Mayes etc (I think Toumpas could slide now with season ending hip surgery - but I can also see Port taking him). Still a lot to be done yet anyhow, you'd think mini draft picks would shake up the draft order as well.

However I dont think Tippo is going anywhere.

Is there any chance of him doing a Mitch Clark and ending up somewhere else?
Seems that the longer that this drama goes on the more that could be an option. Freo look likely to make a splash (side note:interesting that Goddard hasn't signed yet...). FWIW I still think he will stay but maybe I'm in denial:(. I just hope that if he does it's not on the ridiculous salary that has been rumoured.

yeah I heard that but it's stupid cos they have signed Lyons since that statement. It's not as if, if Tippett goes we suddenly pay Mackay another $200 000 a year. Surely we can sign him now with or without Tippett's signature.
Mackay would be on more than Lyons, though I was surprised to see Lyons sign up so quickly given he is a Vic and could probably attract a decent offer from a Melbourne club that could offer him significant game time. Good show of loyalty or something along those lines there.

The Tippett-Mackay situation is partially driven by player managers. Agents want to see what is available after the Walker/Sloane/Dangerfield and Tippett signings, in order to maximise the salary of their client. I don't think it would faze Mackay too much if talks extend on for a couple of months, as it may get him a bit of extra cash than he might have, if he'd signed right away.

Seems that the longer that this drama goes on the more that could be an option. Freo look likely to make a splash (side note:interesting that Goddard hasn't signed yet...). FWIW I still think he will stay but maybe I'm in denial:(. I just hope that if he does it's not on the ridiculous salary that has been rumoured.
I'm not sure anyone wants him to go, but the longer he puts it off, the more it seems likely.

Channel 10 reported things are going slowly. Kurt wanting to talk at the end of the year and we are trying to bring it forward. Now he bent us over last time and we've obviously reduced our contract offer this time. If Brisbane throw a ridiculous offer to him I reckon he will take it. He gets back to QLD, earns more money and Brisbane have recently shown some promise.

All our other players have done the right thing by the club by getting their deals done early, that doesn't seem to be a consideration for Kurt.
We had the same thing with Mitch Clark last year. A lot of people on our board got very bitter over it. It is disappointing because he would have been a great player for us this year, but ultimately he did not want to be here and culturally I think we are much better of without him.

Having everyone else on the same page and one guy trying to do big dollar deals just to stay is not a good vibe.

So Polec= Day? Nope.
Smith and Polec have a similar level of ability, solid best 22 players but not stars or game-changers. Day has injury and workrate issues. Do not want.

I think Polec has the potential to be a game changer for sure. Only in his second year, but shows unbelievable skills. Would hate to lose him, and I really can't see it happening for the simple reason that the club said no to that trade last year.

I'd love Tippett, but have a feeling Carlton might become a player in all of this very soon.

We had the same thing with Mitch Clark last year. A lot of people on our board got very bitter over it. It is disappointing because he would have been a great player for us this year, but ultimately he did not want to be here and culturally I think we are much better of without him.

It's not even close to being the same thing. Clark wanted out of Brisbane for two years before he left, he gave it a red hot go in 2010 but couldn't get a deal through and everyone ( I thought) knew he was going in 2011. Another board I was on, every Brisbane supporter was amazed he didn't go in 2010, such was his haste to get away from Brisbane and they were all definite he wasn't hanging around in 2012 all last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not even close to being the same thing. Clark wanted out of Brisbane for two years before he left, he gave it a red hot go in 2010 but couldn't get a deal through and everyone ( I thought) knew he was going in 2011. Another board I was on, every Brisbane supporter was amazed he didn't go in 2010, such was his haste to get away from Brisbane and they were all definite he wasn't hanging around in 2012 all last year.
Did you read the post I was replying to? :confused:

I think Polec has the potential to be a game changer for sure. Only in his second year, but shows unbelievable skills. Would hate to lose him, and I really can't see it happening for the simple reason that the club said no to that trade last year.

I disagree. Nothing against the guy just I don't think he will reach the high level of someone like a Redden for example. He will be to you what Smith is to us. This is not a knock on him (I think Smith will be important for us going forward) but we would expect more in return if we were going to trade one of if not the the best contested marks in the AFL who also has the ability to ruck successfully. These players are few and far between and worth significantly more than a solid (but unspectacular) midfield prospect, no offense.

I'd love Tippett, but have a feeling Carlton might become a player in all of this very soon.
Hadn't though about this...interesting.

In the event that things fall apart with Tippett later in the year Crows and Lions supporters will likely be spending significant time debating Tippett's worth in the offseason. I hesitantly ask now that you (and any of your fellow BF lions posters that see this) please try your best to treat us and our ideas on Tippett's worth with some respect. Do not become another hostile/disrespectful supporter base. We have had to deal with some pretty interesting types in recent years (e.g. Hawks, Carlton etc.) and I personally would like to avoid that experience again (though I concede that it may be inevitable). Don't become to us what Freo was to you last year (in regard to the Mitch Clark fiasco) or this offseason could get very ugly, very quickly. None of this "pick 93 or PSD" crap. I can't speak for my peers but I think that if both sides act relatively civilised we might all have a better chance of escaping October with our heads in one piece.

How do Carlton, freo, Brisbane, Melbourne have a million dollars a year to spend? What are they doing that we aren't?
Carlton - Offloading McLean contract, breaching salary cap no doubt, perhaps Scotland on vets list?
Freo - Offloading Anthony contract (for good), retiring Grover, Bradley, Crowley.
Melbourne - Free Scully cash, offloading Moloney and Jamar to vets list.

I think we could pay Tippett a mil, but we rightly don't want to.

How do Carlton, freo, Brisbane, Melbourne have a million dollars a year to spend? What are they doing that we aren't?

Others I might understand but Carlton couldn't possibly and if they do then they should be forced to include all of Judds money in their salary cap. It wasn't that long ago that they were saying they couldn't move for a FA player cause they were at their max, so I'm not sure things have changed in 8 weeks on that score.

If Tips wants to move back to QLD then he will do that and will do it for the same sort of cash he would get here. If he wants to test the imaginary price market he might find a 40 goal a year full forward doesn't command as much as his agent would have him believe.

I think he is a great footballer but he is 25 now and he needs to put some runs on the board if he wants a big contract and returns in the 30s and 40s just don't cut it

In the event that things fall apart with Tippett later in the year Crows and Lions supporters will likely be spending significant time debating Tippett's worth in the offseason. I hesitantly ask now that you (and any of your fellow BF lions posters that see this) please try your best to treat us and our ideas on Tippett's worth with some respect. Do not become another hostile/disrespectful supporter base. We have had to deal with some pretty interesting types in recent years (e.g. Hawks, Carlton etc.) and I personally would like to avoid that experience again (though I concede that it may be inevitable). Don't become to us what Freo was to you last year (in regard to the Mitch Clark fiasco) or this offseason could get very ugly, very quickly. None of this "pick 93 or PSD" crap. I can't speak for my peers but I think that if both sides act relatively civilised we might all have a better chance of escaping October with our heads in one piece.

:thumbsu:

Thanks. Spread the message far and wide so that we can all survive :thumbsu:
Or we could invite the Port boys to share their opinion. 4 way trade suggested involving Boak. They get Polec and Geelongs second rd pick. We get Geelongs 1st pick,12-15 and Ports 3rd rd pick. So an above average mid is worth more than a KPF/Ruck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back