Opinion Commentary & Media V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of accountability is being able to be held accountable externally. We don't know if they have a 5 year plan and what it contains because they haven't been transparent about it. They just keep reiterating a nebulous period of time. Which goes to your second question re: accountability for the plan.

That should be done by an external review, not by media who just want click bait and views.

If any one can find Roosy, maybe he can head that up. Zoom from Hawaii might have to do though.

That should be done by an external review, not by media who just want click bait and views.

If any one can find Roosy, maybe he can head that up. Zoom from Hawaii might have to do though.
Richmond announced their 10 year plan and it never did them any harm. Melbourne announced their 5 years too.

Last edited:

Part of accountability is being able to be held accountable externally. We don't know if they have a 5 year plan and what it contains because they haven't been transparent about it. They just keep reiterating a nebulous period of time. Which goes to your second question re: accountability for the plan.
No, we do know they have a 5 year plan. Noble, Rawlings, Amarfio and The Board are all experienced enough that its an easy assumption to make. The accountability of the Football Department is to the members, which is via the board. I certainly trust Buckley set the plan before he left and Hood will hold the FD to account. At the moment she is trusting the plan, and backing Noble to deliver on the plan.

Me, I'm not so sure. There are obviously issues that need to be resolved, so lets see what happens for the rest of the year.

Getting rid of Noble now just means we either need a coach to come in and continue following a plan he has had no involvement in developing, or starting the process all over again. Neither are a good option at this stage.

Well. When you’re trying to (hilariously) make things sound rosy by saying we have been fine in half the games… observation is only the friend of one of us…

After the Eagles game the common theme on here was how poor we were. Same with the Hawthorn game.

The suggestion that half the games have been ok is a poor one.
Okay. I'm saying things are rosy am I?

What I'm really doing is looking for any positives because that's better than carrying on like a ****en crybaby.

There are positives too but people like you not only don't want to see them, you're shit canning other posters for noticing or mentioning them. Just **** off.

Richmond announced their 10 year plan and it never did them any harm.

That’s true. Gee, they smashed that out of the park too.

I’m more referring to who reviews progress and provides feedback. I doubt Wilson, Lloyd, Barrett or Cornes would be sought after opinions given their jobs.

No, we do know they have a 5 year plan. Noble, Rawlings, Amarfio and The Board are all experienced enough that its an easy assumption to make. The accountability of the Football Department is to the members, which is via the board. I certainly trust Buckley set the plan before he left and Hood will hold the FD to account. At the moment she is trusting the plan, and backing Noble to deliver on the plan.

Me, I'm not so sure. There are obviously issues that need to be resolved, so lets see what happens for the rest of the year.

Getting rid of Noble now just means we either need a coach to come in and continue following a plan he has had no involvement in developing, or starting the process all over again. Neither are a good option at this stage.
I'm not saying to get rid of Noble. I've argued the opposite. Successful clubs have very few qualms with outlining an accountable plan to the public and members IMO.

That’s true. Gee, they smashed that out of the park too.

I’m more referring to who reviews progress and provides feedback. I doubt Wilson, Lloyd, Barrett or Cornes would be sought after opinions given their jobs.
I don't disagree, but without that plan being transparent the feeling of being rudderless/directionless among the fans will persist.

Do you really believe we don't have a 5 year plan? Just because we don't announce it to Caro doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Noble made it clear we are starting out by developing a midfield, and for the players to have the ability to play multiple positions. That's not something that happens in 1 or 2 years.

What needs to be questioned is: Is it the right Plan and is the Plan being followed?
Absolutely. I mean come the **** on - do people seriously think this club decided to turf half of our playing list over a couple of seasons without any plan. It might be a shit plan or it might be genius but clearly there is a plan and FWIW I suspect that plan over 12 months out involved us having our hot hands on a young player from SA...

It's hard to take these media points seriously. I mean, it needs to be a 5 year plan yeah? Because that's what the footy illuminati in the media have decided. Would it be a disaster if we had a 4 or 6 year plan instead? Imagine if we had a 3 year plan, I predict chaos and WW3. These people honestly talk sh*t 90% of the time.

Look, people can pretend I'm an idiot all they want. Whatever.

I'm saying that successful organisations have few issues with transparently publishing a plan they can be held accountable against. Richmond and Melbourne are two examples of this out of recent premiers.

It doesn't mean that you give away all of the secrets or pass accountability to the plan to Caroline Wilson.

I can tell you what the lack of a published (emphasis on PUBLISHED) plan does:

• causes uncertainty
  • can cause panic among the members where they demand accountability for something that was actually foreseen and accounted for in the plan
  • can do the opposite and kick the can down the road as excuses are made for not reaching the plan's accountability measures.

In most cases, being opaque about these things provides a long leash for ass covering.

I mean I specifically addressed the point about 5 year being pretty arbitrary but ok. I'm an idiot. A drooling moron who doesn't know just to trust the team that's delivered nothing other than the worst performances I've seen in my life.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look, people can pretend I'm an idiot all they want. Whatever.

I'm saying that successful organisations have few issues with transparently publishing a plan they can be held accountable against. Richmond and Melbourne are two examples of this out of recent premiers.

It doesn't mean that you give away all of the secrets or pass accountability to the plant to Caroline Wilson.

I can tell you what the lack of a published (emphasis on PUBLISHED) plan does:

• causes uncertainty
  • can cause panic among the members where they demand accountability for something that was actually foreseen and accounted for in the plan
  • can do the opposite and kick the can down the road as excuses are made for not reaching the plan's accountability measures.

In most cases, being opaque about these things provides a long leash for ass covering.
what exactly did Richmond and Melbourne publish? Serious question as all I remember was "we have a plan to win the GF".

what exactly did Richmond and Melbourne publish? Serious question as all I remember was "we have a plan to win the GF".
Richmond's was pretty hefty if I recall. It included milestone accountability measures such as finals appearances by X time.

Melbourne's was ambitious but vague. It still included goals and accountability measures.

Currently all we have gotten from our crew is "it takes time."

I don't disagree, but without that plan being transparent the feeling of being rudderless/directionless among the fans will persist.

That’s fair. 4 draft periods was referred to in the first Q&A session at the end of 2020. It wasn’t ”official” “ but it was referred to at least once by Clayton from memory.

Honestly, it’s probably why I’m completely calm about where we sit at the moment. I don’t like it, don’t get me wrong, but I accept it.

If we’re having the same conversation in a couple of years, I’ll be as shitful as everyone.

Richmond’s was x amount of members, finals and flags. They may have even exceeded expectations.

I don’t recall Melbourne’s. Probably to rid themselves of the ghost of Norm Smith.

Richmond’s was x amount of members, finals and flags. They may have even exceeded expectations.

I don’t recall Melbourne’s. Probably to rid themselves of the ghost of Norm Smith.
Melbourne's was finals each year from 2021 and AFL and AFLW flags within 4 years, I think.

Currently the only measure we've been given is percentage, I think? Which has gotten worse, but will 'take time'.

I reckon the club is more likely to go the early crow and cave to public pressure the fewer accountability targets they publish. Just my two cents.

Richmond's was pretty hefty if I recall. It included milestone accountability measures such as finals appearances by X time.

Melbourne's was ambitious but vague. It still included goals and accountability measures.

Currently all we have gotten from our crew is "it takes time."
FFS, you want the club to come out and say our plan is to play finals and will GF's just so its accountable?

We're a Football club playing football. Of course that's the outcome our plan is trying to achieve.

FFS, you want the club to come out and say our plan is to play finals and will GF's just so its accountable?

We're a Football club playing football. Of course that's the outcome our plan is trying to achieve.
No. Nowhere did I say copy anyone else's plan. I'm asking them to publish their own plan. Their own. Not copy pasted. Just something that provides measures of progress. We talk about Brad and North accepting mediocrity then flip our shit at the suggestion of putting forward a plan with accountability measures. I don't think that's too much to ask, but you do. That's ok.

No. Nowhere did I say copy anyone else's plan. I'm asking them to publish their own plan. Their own. Not copy pasted. Just something that provides measures of progress. I don't think that's too much to ask, but you do. That's ok.
You haven't show me anywhere that Melbourne or Richmond have published their plan. They've announced the outcomes they are striving from but that's not publishing the plan. You have no idea what the measurable KPIs were within the plan. They just announced the desire to be successful to appease the stupidity of their members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back