News Compensation Pick for Krakouer

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately philthy we look like the only club in this predicament (losing young player who can play 200 games), with the only possible exception likely to be Harbrow from the Dogs. I really hope Krakoeur fails. Sorry if that offends/annoys anyone.

Don't forget Brisbane possibly losing Rischitelli. He's a likely 200 gamer.

They are reporting Campbell Brown would get about $450K a year, which is roughly what Krak was being reported to be on. Given Krak is younger, you would think the AFL would be forced to give Hawthorn a band 4 for Brown in that case - given their apparent factors are contract value and age.

Rischitelli will probably end up band 2, so:

Band 2: Rischitelli
Band 3: Bock
Band 4: Krakouer
Band 4: Brown

does that all sound about right ?

You both have not factored in that Krakwhore comes from a SA club and secondly he comes from the PAFC - that should create some downward band allocation.

Don't forget Brisbane possibly losing Rischitelli. He's a likely 200 gamer.

i was refering to the gc. as in krak can easily play 200+ games for gc. how old is rischa?? 24, 25 before the next season. bock could play for 4 years but ild bet against it. will make 50 games before injury ends his career. the afl rated proven players>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> over potential and the ability to play x amount of games in the gc jumper. rischa will nab the lions a good compo pick for one outstanding season in 6 yrs. will be interesting to see what brown gets the hawks.

Unfortunately philthy we look like the only club in this predicament (losing young player who can play 200 games), with the only possible exception likely to be Harbrow from the Dogs. I really hope Krakoeur fails. Sorry if that offends/annoys anyone.

ill bet the dogs get great compensation for harbrow. still older than krak. carlton seem to think they might lose griggs.. he is young and unproven, will probably get what we got.

It's a gamble either way.

If there's a specific player the club wants that won't slip beyond pick #40, then sure, go for it. All we really would be doing is switching a pick in the 60s-80s for one in the 30s.

There could be up to and over 16 concession picks for clubs to use over the next 5 years so given we expect to rise up the ladder, the pick may not get any higher than what it is now. The talent pool may be different, but it's a speculation and our pick would be pushing the edge of the talent depth in any case imo. A pick in the bank is not a player developing on the park.

It's a gamble either way.

If there's a specific player the club wants that won't slip beyond pick #40, then sure, go for it. All we really would be doing is switching a pick in the 60s-80s for one in the 30s.

There could be up to and over 16 concession picks for clubs to use over the next 5 years so given we expect to rise up the ladder, the pick may not get any higher than what it is now. The talent pool may be different, but it's a speculation and our pick would be pushing the edge of the talent depth in any case imo. A pick in the bank is not a player developing on the park.

I agree with this.

The other factor to take into consideration is the age of our squad. We have a plethora of young players now (3 first rounders from last year alone) and it would be better if this extra pick was around the same age bracket so they all peak together.

We pick up Krakour for pick 39 in the 200 national draft,

Hold him on our list for four years, in return we receive pick 36? (if only one club use their compensation) and simon phillips? thats a solid gain

No, its not.

For starters, that was pick #39 in the best draft since 2001, swapped for pick #36 in a draft that has already had a number of the best players picked out of it before draft picks are even assigned.

Secondly, do you really think Simon Phillips is a valuable commodity as a footballer right now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

using what? the compo pick? we dont have it anymore
we gave it back to the gold coast for Simon Phillips

you're kidding me?
I must have misunderstood the deal

oh well, I will reserve judgement until I see him play

using what? the compo pick? we dont have it anymore
we gave it back to the gold coast for Simon Phillips

The deal was the Krak compo pick for Simon Phillips and GC's pick 35. If we used the compo pick in the draft this year it would've been roughly mid 30's, so we essentially got Phillips for nothing.

I can't provide a link but Port have said it will be used this year.

Port indicated they would have used the compensation pick (Rohde referred to having two picks in the second round during an interview) but we do not have the pick anymore, so it is a moot point.

Gold Coast will not be using the pick this year (as has been posted we traded it back to them in the Phillips deal).

I guess I was careless in using the term compensation pick. My understanding is that technically you are correct, we don't have the compensation pick. But what we got in exchange for it was Simon Phillips plus pick 35.

Our first three picks are 16, 35 and 36.

Fair enough, there just seems to have been some discussion about the compo pick (and there's nothing technical about that, it's gone ;)) and whether that would be used - after all it can be banked unlike the straight out draft pick we received with Phillips. I didn't think there was any dispute we would use both picks in the 30s seeing as Port went out of its way after delistings to state we have four usable picks including 52.

No, its not.

For starters, that was pick #39 in the best draft since 2001, swapped for pick #36 in a draft that has already had a number of the best players picked out of it before draft picks are even assigned.

Secondly, do you really think Simon Phillips is a valuable commodity as a footballer right now?

Depends on who we get doesnt it :rolleyes:

Depends on who we get doesnt it :rolleyes:
If it depends on who we get then why did you say it was a clear win? Sorry, a `solid gain'.

The best we could do with the Krak compo is to use it in 2012-14 after the compromised drafts of 2010-11 are out of the way.

If we finished bottom with 5+ wins in the 2012-14 period we get
pick 1
pick 19 second round
pick 20 Krak compo

If we finish bottom with 4 wins or less
pick 1
pick 19 priority pick
pick 20 second round
pick 21 Krak compo

If we finish bottom 2 years in a row and both years 4 wins or less
pick 1 priority
pick 2 first round
pick 19 second round
pick 20 Krak compo.

This all assume no other compo picks are used by other clubs in the 2012-14 drafts to muddy the water.

So we get pick 35 now + Phillips vs potential either pick 20 or 21 in 2012-14 drafts

Given we expect to be playing finals over the next few years then the compo pick would be in the 30's in future years, so getting getting pick 35 now is good. It's the Phillips part of the deal which is poor. There are a lot better players than him in the WAFL/SANFL/VFL that we could have snapped up.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Compensation Pick for Krakouer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back