Toast Conca Coming Of Age

Remove this Banner Ad

Really don't get the Conca hate that has started to surface. In the last 3 weeks since coming back into the side he has changed the way he plays and I for one am much happier with the role he is now playing. As a starting centre square player he has won clearances and contested possessions and for the most part uses the ball as good as anyone of our 'stars', if not better. Unfortunately though it seems that too many are caught up in what he was producing earlier in the season when he was being played out of position.

All the talk about Conca when he was recruited was that he is a highly skilled ball winning midfielder who uses the ball to advantage. Over the last 3 weeks IMO we've seen that from him and for those complaining about his blunders, well its no different to the excuse that gets wheeled out for guys like Cotchin & Tuck. That is the guy is in packs winning contested footy more often that not his trying to dispose of the ball while also trying to get clear of a pack. Its only natural that errors are going to occur as a result. As it stands he has 10 clangers(which included 3 frees against) from 67 disposals(26 contested possessions) in the last 3 weeks.

Now before every jumps in and say that Conca is nowhere near Cotchin, I'm not saying that he is, what I'm putting forward is that Conca is developing nicely for a kid that has yet to finish his second season and IMO could be the inside midfielder that we need to support the likes of Tuck and Cotchin as we start to challenge for finals. There are still some areas of his game that need cleaning up but that will come with experience. For now I hope that Hardwick continues to play the kid through the middle as thats the only way that he is going to get that experience.

Makes to many howling mistakes with little to no pressure and his targets are in plenty if space . He was rarely touted as having a high skill level when recruited , many in fact thought his lack of skill and decision making was a significant factor , something I seen again yesterday . Also the reason most questioned our decision to take him at pick 6.

Making steady improvement, great young decision maker and good in traffic. Once every three weeks he makes a clanger that costs us a goal but I reckon he is a great compliment to our midfield. I like it how he's always running to space and leading.

Pick 6 is quite high though and having said all this I reckon Ellis might turn out better.

you'e spot on RT, this kid was born to play midfield. will be a jet once he gets a bigger tank. cant wait for his 3rd-5th years. imo we still need another clearance player still. (even if conca comes on)

Makes to many howling mistakes with little to no pressure and his targets are in plenty if space . He was rarely touted as having a high skill level when recruited , many in fact thought his lack of skill and decision making was a significant factor , something I seen again yesterday . Also the reason most questioned our decision to take him at pick 6.
Great decision maker (Playmaker) great kick and great at winning the footy is why he was picked at number 6 along with his high aptitude and drive to succeed. Sorry mate but you will be proven wrong on this one definitely gonna eat your own words.

yeah i tend to agree with you, i dont think his kicking is bad, he just makes the wrong decisions, hopefully with experience he will take the first and best option. long way to go for him though, time is on his side

Hmm, you say that he was rarely touted as having a high skill level and yet most of the reports I've gone back over and read from draft watchers(both on here and the AFL sites) say the exact opposite.

Kevin Sheehan says: Versatile player who can play forward, midfield or back. His ability to run and carry and his football smarts were prominent in representing WA at the Under-18 Championships this year. Averaged 18 disposals at 79 per cent efficiency.

Francis Jackson said:
“He’s just such a well-rounded player. He’s got high endurance, really good speed and outstanding lateral movement and awareness. I’m sure that his peripheral awareness, and understanding of what’s happening around him, is a direct result of him playing soccer up until the age of 13.
“Not only does he win a lot of the ball, he’s a very, very good user of it. Out of all the kicking profiles that we’ve done, his is the best. He can take a good mark, his decision-making is outstanding, and his ability to win one-on-one footy, as well as win outside footy, is just a joy to watch.
“We’ve tracked his progress closely all year, watched him play live every game, and he doesn’t appear to have any weaknesses.

Snoop Dog (BF draft watcher) said:
Selection # 20 (FREMANTLE)
Reece Conca – Perth /184cm / 76kg

Profile : Really like this kid but a bit unsure where he lands principally because he doesn’t have a heap of standout features. Notwithstanding, you have a kid that has had a super Colts year and has played some really good state league footy (5 games incl a BOG vs Claremont). Backed that all up with a series of good performances at the Champs where he averaged 18-20 touches at a whopping 80% efficiency and hence I think will go higher than most think. Would describe him just as a very smart footy player who can play anywhere over the park. Good overhead, skills better than what you probably think but it’s how he finds space, the second efforts, chasing and tackling which mark him as a determined young footballer who will definitely go pretty well with his AFL career. The knock I think is these blokes often go a bit later because there is no obvious x factor but plenty of his type have proven recruiters wrong over last few years .

Knightmare (BF draft watcher) said:
Strong over the ball, clever player with some footy smarts and nice evading skills. Unobtrusive playing style and draws away from packs well. Great utility who can play midfield, forward or back. Has good 360 degree awareness. If he goes to ground he will get straight back up so quick it can sometimes be frightening. Has a little bit of class. Full package. Big wraps on this kid in WA. Ready to play sooner rather than later. Has been mentioned by WA recruiters as a certain 1st rounder.

As I said the kid is coming on nicely and IMO will go through his career as one of those under rated types who before you know it has played 150-200 games without much fanfare, but proves to be an integeral part of their side.

Has hands like vacuums and an uncanny ability to get to the right spot to use them to scoop up the ball in a clearance. Coming along very nicely and has made about as many bad clangers as Cotchin has since moving into the midfield.

James Kelly rarely got a mention when Ablett, Bartel and others were spoken about at Geelong.

Some people write players off too early. Will be a solid and unassuming player who will be durable and someone filling our team out nicely.

:

As I said the kid is coming on nicely and IMO will go through his career as one of those under rated types who before you know it has played 150-200 games without much fanfare, but proves to be an integeral part of their side.

yep, agree with you there and with the draft analysis by the other lads

if he does get going he will be one of those unassuming types, he got 21 touches yesterday but you just dont notice them. This could be something that he could improve as well, being more damaging with those touches.

hopefully develops into that inside mid we really need

Same problem as the whole team, lacks polish. He is getting clearances (7) but really rushing his disposal normally resulting in a quick kick forward which is a 50/50 proposition. Ideally he takes a little longer lifts his head and looks for a clearing handball to advantage.

Another pre-season where he can gain the core strength to stand up in the tackles will see him lift another cog.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmm, you say that he was rarely touted as having a high skill level and yet most of the reports I've gone back over and read from draft watchers(both on here and the AFL sites) say the exact opposite.

Francis Jackson said:

Snoop Dog (BF draft watcher) said:

Knightmare (BF draft watcher) said:

RT you have obviously searched far and wide for any sort of support and a couple of throw away lines which incidentally the only one mentioning him having great skills is the one from the recruiter at the club who drafted him.
He wasn't highly touted for his decision making nor skills and nothing you have come up with has and never will prove to me opposite to what I was privy to in person.
Do you think his kicking errors yesterday where under pressure or that of a elite decision maker or exponent of kicking ?
The kid could be a good AFL player , no doubt about it, but I don't buy into the theory that he is currently a lock in our best 22, nor that he has elite kicking or decision making, because he simply doesn't.
When he goes onto the ball I cringe and past experience has indicated the sides competiveness in clearances drops off.

RT you have obviously searche far and wide for any sort of support and a couple of throw away lines which incidentally none mention having greta skills, other than from the recruiter at the club who drafted him.
He wasn't highly touted for his decision making nor skills and nothing you have come up with has and never will prove to me opposite to what I was privy to in person.
Do you think his kicking errors yesterday where under pressure or that of a elite decision maker or exponent of kicking ?
The kid could be a good AFL player , no doubt about it, but I don't buy into the theory that he is currently a lock in our best 22, nor that he has elite kicking or decision making, because he simply doesn't.
When he goes onto the ball I cringe and past experience has indicated the sides competiveness in clearances drops off.
They all talk up his footy smarts, which to me includes his decision making and skills i.e. knowing which option to take(highlighted by his 80%eff at champs). As one of them says Conca is the type of player who will prove recruiters wrong down the track.

As for his errors yesterday, I didn't really notice any that really hurt and as I said in the OP the same excuse can be given to him as is used for guys like Cotchin and Tuck who win most of their disposals under pressure around packs. With Conca now playing a more inside midfielders role he is going to make errors thats part and parcel of playing that position.

As for him not having elite kicking or decision making skills, at present he has had 289 disposals at 75.43% eff with 50 clangers(23 are frees against). Regardless of whether you believe in stats or not, those numbers would suggest that he does have fairly reliable disposal and decision making skills.

Just on stats, if they are so useless why do we put such a high price on recruiting players with a high kicking effiency percentage?

Apart from Jack, Lids, Cotch, Martin and those other two blokes you dont like anyone.

They all talk up his footy smarts, which to me includes his decision making and skills i.e. knowing which option to take(highlighted by his 80%eff at champs). As one of them says Conca is the type of player who will prove recruiters wrong down the track.

As for his errors yesterday, I didn't really notice any that really hurt and as I said in the OP the same excuse can be given to him as is used for guys like Cotchin and Tuck who win most of their disposals under pressure around packs. With Conca now playing a more inside midfielders role he is going to make errors thats part and parcel of playing that position.

As for him not having elite kicking or decision making skills, at present he has had 289 disposals at 75.43% eff with 50 clangers(23 are frees against). Regardless of whether you believe in stats or not, those numbers would suggest that he does have fairly reliable disposal and decision making skills.

Just on stats, if they are so useless why do we put such a high price on recruiting players with a high kicking effiency percentage?
Disposal efficency is strongly biased on the role a player plays.
Cotchin and even Tucks errors are often made when disposing under pressure and/or when kicking to 50/50 contests. Yesterday he missed targets that never had players within 5 plus mtrs of them and kicked one directly out on the full when under bugger all pressure.
Not going to say the kid is a dud and won't make it because I think he could be a good player but he currently doesn't have great decision making / disposal and it was a major knock on him, before he joined the club.

Agree on all of this is really building and now making a mark on the game with an ability to win contested footy. A nonense to isolate 1 or two possies, cotch or tuck could easily pulled apart from that regard. Facts are he is contributng with some good numbers.progressing nicely

Also RP, what are your thoughts on Cotchin turning the ball over 30 mtrs out in front of the NM goals when the game was on a knife edge.

But I'm sure the only thing stuck in your mind is Concas turn over that happened out on the wing under immense pressure on his non preferred and lands in the hands of a NM player that had just come off the bench.

RP you tell us which turnover was more costly.

Really don't get the Conca hate that has started to surface. In the last 3 weeks since coming back into the side he has changed the way he plays and I for one am much happier with the role he is now playing. As a starting centre square player he has won clearances and contested possessions and for the most part uses the ball as good as anyone of our 'stars', if not better. Unfortunately though it seems that too many are caught up in what he was producing earlier in the season when he was being played out of position.

All the talk about Conca when he was recruited was that he is a highly skilled ball winning midfielder who uses the ball to advantage. Over the last 3 weeks IMO we've seen that from him and for those complaining about his blunders, well its no different to the excuse that gets wheeled out for guys like Cotchin & Tuck. That is the guy is in packs winning contested footy more often that not his trying to dispose of the ball while also trying to get clear of a pack. Its only natural that errors are going to occur as a result. As it stands he has 10 clangers(which included 3 frees against) from 67 disposals(26 contested possessions) in the last 3 weeks.

Now before every jumps in and say that Conca is nowhere near Cotchin, I'm not saying that he is, what I'm putting forward is that Conca is developing nicely for a kid that has yet to finish his second season and IMO could be the inside midfielder that we need to support the likes of Tuck and Cotchin as we start to challenge for finals. There are still some areas of his game that need cleaning up but that will come with experience. For now I hope that Hardwick continues to play the kid through the middle as thats the only way that he is going to get that experience.

Will develop in to a pretty decent player but he has no left foot....

Is developing into a good footballer
Is still learning... Concs will announce himself in 2013

Like his mongrel and reads the play really well
He just needs more agility and finesse his foot skills

have to say no to the op's opinion. clearly you have a set theory when you say you will never change it suggests your obstinate about it. anyway i agree with rubber and i think when fitness gets better less fatigue late in games(which is mostly when some of these clangers kick in),ans with that comes feeling you belong and thats when i think he will be a gem.

Absolute gun. There is Conca hate? Only fools could think thus. Won the kicking test at draft camp and hasn't looked back since. Fast becoming my favourite Tiger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Conca Coming Of Age

Remove this Banner Ad

Back