Toast Conca Coming Of Age

Remove this Banner Ad

Was disgustingly bad last week, but credit to him to turning it all around in a short space of time. Was great tonight.

Back playing the role he should be playing rather than the run with role that they gave him last week. Now if they can just leave him there he will play some very good footy.

29 touches, 7 marks, 5 tackles, 6 clearances, 5 I 50's, 2 goal assists

What did you expect?
I don't know. As I said he was good against these Brisbane types and I'm prepared to wait and see if he will go well against the elite. But just at the moment I'm seeing good honest stuff from him. He either needs to get quick or super strong. Decision making looks okay to me.
2nd year player so good on him.

Can't believe the crap on this thread by the arm chair "experts". The kid is doing an outstanding job for a second year player. His games against Melbourne and Brisbane show what he is capable of. As he matures he will start doing the same against quality opposition. Compliments Lids, Cotch and Martin beautifully. All we needed was a fit Foley and we would have won the last 3 close games and we would be singing finals. Conca had a heel injury when he was recruited so hasn't had the benefit of two full preseasons. If he can stay fit between now and round 1 next year, watch out!

Back playing the role he should be playing rather than the run with role that they gave him last week. Now if they can just leave him there he will play some very good footy.
Irrespective of what anyone thinks of Reece's current ability against sides with good depth , he is currently not good enough to go head to head and therefore needs to be able to play the run with role at this stage .

Can't believe the crap on this thread by the arm chair "experts". The kid is doing an outstanding job for a second year player. His games against Melbourne and Brisbane show what he is capable of. As he matures he will start doing the same against quality opposition. Compliments Lids, Cotch and Martin beautifully. All we needed was a fit Foley and we would have won the last 3 close games and we would be singing finals. Conca had a heel injury when he was recruited so hasn't had the benefit of two full preseasons. If he can stay fit between now and round 1 next year, watch out!

Totally agree !! Tiger Ancient and I've said it from the time he was drafted. He does'nt seem to have any glaring deficiencies. Has a great attitude and wants to be involved. How many players with one preseason have done what he's done . With another couple of pre seasons and bigger body. Who knows what Reece is capable of. Just one young fella at RFC that I get excited about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not sold until he plays a good game against a side above us. I really hope he does, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. He prob played his best game. But his good games this year has been against, Demons, Lions, GC in second half.
He has played some really poor games against good sides, he needs to bridge the gap, hopefully he can do that next year.

Have you thought maybe that's because against younger, weaker teams with similar inexperienced bodies it allows him to show his true potential as an inside midfielder? Only natural that an undersized kid would struggle in some games in the clinches against some bigger bodied teams.

Given how he likes to play Conca is one who will seriously benefit from a few preseasons of physical development.

Irrespective of what anyone thinks of Reece's current ability against sides with good depth , he is currently not good enough to go head to head and therefore needs to be able to play the run with role at this stage .
Against the good sides I'd play him in a run with role to learn what the gun midfielders do as its a great way to gain experience. In games like last night, set him free and let him go about doing what he does best. Gather possessions, win his own ball and set up team mates with his disposal. As I've said time and again with another preseason under his belt he will be better able to compete with the better midfielders.

Anyone expecting any more from him than what he is currently producing is kidding themselves.

Conca is very much an under the radar type player. will be very good and very consistent once he matures further. He reminds me of Boyd, who is only now getting the credit he deserves. Conca is an inside mid.:thumbsu:

edit: cant wait to see him with another 4kgs on the frame

Against the good sides I'd play him in a run with role to learn what the gun midfielders do as its a great way to gain experience. In games like last night, set him free and let him go about doing what he does best. Gather possessions, win his own ball and set up team mates with his disposal. As I've said time and again with another preseason under his belt he will be better able to compete with the better midfielders.

Anyone expecting any more from him than what he is currently producing is kidding themselves.
That's what is happening with him RT , against better sides he is running with better players and against the lesser sides the leash is in released, some what .
Against the better midfields , where the pressure is increased and their set-ups are better , he has struggled a fair bit .
Weather his performances against the better sides has been substantional for a player within his second year is what many debate .
ATM , IMO , against the better sides he has looked all at sea , rushed with his disposal and often caught out of position , which is even further reason why he needs more time direct opposed to better players which hopefully assists with teaching him where to run and how to position himself .

How many careers did Kevin Sheedy kick start by doing this? You don't find out what you have by hiding players. As Sheedy has said "adversity creates opportunity". Reece is taking his. Good on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Conca Coming Of Age

Remove this Banner Ad

Back