Traded Confirmed trade - Karnezis (Brisbane) / Paine (Collingwood)

Remove this Banner Ad

A lose/lose trade imo.

Brisbane get Jackson Paine an undersized key position who is poor athletically and doesn't have the size/strength to be a good AFL full forward or the mobility and ground skills to be a good third tall. He will help the reserves team win more though.

Collingwood get Karnezis, a player whose attack on the footy makes Jack Watts look hard, an decent athlete who can find the ball ok but uses it averagely and will make clangers. He has no defensive game and is a soft outside runner who can play as a decent third tall. He is probably more talented though than Paine.

This

Thats why it was a pretty fair trade

I don't see the point of taking a key forward at 10 in a draft heavy with quality tall utilities/mids. As far as I'm concerned our lack of height through the midfield, and overall skill coming out of defense is a more pressing issue. Next year is supposed to be filled with quality talls.

As far as I'm concerned free agency has reduced the importance of having great depth in key position players. All you have to do is look at this trade period to see the ease of movement of a number of key position players. Lynch didn't work for us, but we've been able to pick up White easily enough. I'm sure we could do the same next year if absolutely necessary.

Also Frost looks a fair bit more promising than Gault I would have thought.

Someone will take McCarthy in that top 15 whether it's a mid/ flanker draft or not and the need isn't as high for mine re those types because, again IMO, we'll go Bontempelli at 6.

I'll be honest I've neither seen nor heard of Frost spending even up to 10 minutes in the front half so I don't see why he's relevant to our KPF depth discussion? I mean we're all down on Gault, but he isn't as poor an option as someone that has never performed the role.

Someone will take McCarthy in that top 15 whether it's a mid/ flanker draft or not and the need isn't as high for mine re those types because, again IMO, we'll go Bontempelli at 6.

I'll be honest I've neither seen nor heard of Frost spending even up to 10 minutes in the front half so I don't see why he's relevant to our KPF depth discussion? I mean we're all down on Gault, but he isn't as poor an option as someone that has never performed the role.

Gault has not really done much at VFL Level in My Mind and is very Lucky to still be on the list.

Frost has looked way better. Debuted RD 1 this season at AFL Level then had a Knee Injury. Came back and looked good in the VFL Games

Gault has not really done much at VFL Level in My Mind and is very Lucky to still be on the list.

Frost has looked way better. Debuted RD 1 this season at AFL Level then had a Knee Injury. Came back and looked good in the VFL Games

Again though what Frost has done is completely irrelevant to a discussion on our KPF depth. Gault to some may be as useless as an arseh*le on your elbow, but he's still shown more up forward than Frost ever will!

Again though what Frost has done is completely irrelevant to a discussion on our KPF depth. Gault to some may be as useless as an arseh*le on your elbow, but he's still shown more up forward than Frost ever will!

Well because Frost has never played as a KPF:rolleyes:

Gault should be developed as a forward,we did him no favours sending him back last season.Either way it will probably be his last year on the list if he does not show a bit.

Great trade for Brisbane as Paine can play not so sure that Karnezis will be on a list in 12 months.
Yeah its pretty depressing being a Collingwood supporter, you know with them losing at the trade table year after year. I just hope that one day we can win a trade period, you know like St Kilda do every year.

Not sure how anyone can really state a clear winner in this trade. Neither has set the world on fire.

2 players that neither of their clubs wanted them and they didn't want to be there moved to clubs who want them. Makes it a win-win.

Although I will declare Collingwood the real winner because I think Karnezis has a heap of potential. Classic running half forward flanker who can mark, kick goals, crumb, run and carry. I'm a big fan.

Paine on the other hand I think when the Pies recruited him they hoped he would either grow a couple more centimetres or fine down and add some mobility. Despite good production in the VFL I think the refusal for the pies to play him indicates they aren't happy with where he is at as an athlete. Very hard working and passionate footballer on the field but maybe not quite AFL level. But from a Brisbane point of view he's worth the shot because he's committed, ready to prove himself and a handy 3rd tall is useful when you are searching for the future in a real tall forward post Jono Brown.

The last guy who could play but had doubts on his athleticism standing up to AFL level who Brisbane got was Rockliff and that seems to be working out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know why everyone is obsessed with "winning" some trades. Even if Paine makes it, it was unlikely he would make it at Collingwood, same with Karnezis. Them both switching clubs has probably shade it more likely that one or both will make it, because they are now at clubs who want them, and they want to be there, making the trade a win-win.

I don't know why everyone is obsessed with "winning" some trades. Even if Paine makes it, it was unlikely he would make it at Collingwood, same with Karnezis. Them both switching clubs has probably shade it more likely that one or both will make it, because they are now at clubs who want them, and they want to be there, making the trade a win-win.

agreed - and the reality is that we won't really know until this time next year if the trade is a win or a lose. Everyone was raving on about Q-Stick, Young and even Russell. All our trades could be bust or they could be great...who really knows?

It's all speculation and hope...which I guess is why we are all on here!

I would assume having KPD depth helps KPF depth because it allows you to keep someone like Reid down foward as KPF depth. Or even give Keefe a go later on. And who knows, Frost may very well be able to hold down a key forward spot given the chance.

Gault being able to play forward simply because he may have done it before means squat if he's just not very good. Which looks like being the case.

You might be getting your wires crossed as far as the needs go. You only realistically need 2 key forwards in your team at any time. 3 if you want to count the second ruck as one. Some teams get away and still do quite well having only one genuine key forward and one third tall type as the second key tall, especially if the one key forward is of high quality.

Whereas you realistically need 6-7 mids in your team, preferably more, and guys that can play midfield but also on a forward or back flank. Basically for every one key forward, you need 3 or 4 equivalent mids/flankers.

If we get the chance to take some elite talent with high draft picks which we may not get again for a long time, I go the elite mid/utility, especially when there's a key tall heavy draft coming up next year. Cloke and Reid (who I expect to be a forward from here on out barring injuries to Brown and Keefe, and lack of development of Frost) will not need replacing as soon as Swan and Ball will. So we can much more afford to wait to address that in later drafts. We have a serious dearth of big young utilities/mids coming through. That's going to be weakness in the coming years. And from all the talk there's no guarantee Bontempelli will even be there at 6.

Gault should be developed as a forward,we did him no favours sending him back last season.Either way it will probably be his last year on the list if he does not show a bit.

Looks a Mile Better up Forward then Down Back. Looks like he has no Idea in Defense

2 players that neither of their clubs wanted them and they didn't want to be there moved to clubs who want them. Makes it a win-win.

Although I will declare Collingwood the real winner because I think Karnezis has a heap of potential. Classic running half forward flanker who can mark, kick goals, crumb, run and carry. I'm a big fan.

Paine on the other hand I think when the Pies recruited him they hoped he would either grow a couple more centimetres or fine down and add some mobility. Despite good production in the VFL I think the refusal for the pies to play him indicates they aren't happy with where he is at as an athlete. Very hard working and passionate footballer on the field but maybe not quite AFL level. But from a Brisbane point of view he's worth the shot because he's committed, ready to prove himself and a handy 3rd tall is useful when you are searching for the future in a real tall forward post Jono Brown.

The last guy who could play but had doubts on his athleticism standing up to AFL level who Brisbane got was Rockliff and that seems to be working out.

Well said on Paine, MB.

i had high hopes for him watching him develop in 2012 but in 2013 there were real issues in his game
- he didnt grow and found himself "inbetween"-sized
...added to this, i felt he was push out of contests too easily and couldn't find the right position in marking contests either
- his marking wasnt as good (hands seemed too stiff)
- so little pressure in defense on the turn-over

He tried hard and I wish him all the best and hope he makes a go of it in Brisbane

I don't see the point of taking a key forward at 10 in a draft heavy with quality tall utilities/mids. As far as I'm concerned our lack of height through the midfield, and overall skill coming out of defense is a more pressing issue. Next year is supposed to be filled with quality talls.

As far as I'm concerned free agency has reduced the importance of having great depth in key position players. All you have to do is look at this trade period to see the ease of movement of a number of key position players. Lynch didn't work for us, but we've been able to pick up White easily enough. I'm sure we could do the same next year if absolutely necessary.

Also Frost looks a fair bit more promising than Gault I would have thought.

Well we hope Dekka will choose the "best available," This could be McCarthy in his eyes, which would help fix our little list hole here. But maybe not.

Quite happy with this trade. I think Patrick has plenty of potential to make the grade.

I just couldn't see Paine making it at Collingwood, particularly as a KPP. Just too undersized. Hopefully he makes a good go of it at Brisbane.

Pies be happy with Patty Kicking:

Since he came back from OP

Blair likely to be cited by the MRP, will probably miss at least one game. This could be PK's chance!

Pies be happy with Patty Kicking:

Since he came back from OP

I presume that's goals and that he is mainly playing forward. Do Collingwood see him mainly as a forward or is it a fitness issue which means he can only play forward?

I presume that's goals and that he is mainly playing forward. Do Collingwood see him mainly as a forward or is it a fitness issue which means he can only play forward?

Not Really Sure at the Moment but he is Dead Eye Dick in front of Goal and So maybe keep him Forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Confirmed trade - Karnezis (Brisbane) / Paine (Collingwood)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back