Mega Thread Congratulations Matt Priddis

Remove this Banner Ad

Mostly by people who don't seem to understand the nature of the award. Go back over history and you will find a number of winners who weren't the "best" in their year but were still worth winners who had good seasons. Does anyone really think Kelly was better than Carey in 95? That Wanganeen was better in 93' than Ablett or Williams; or Wynd better than Dunstall in 92'? Some people need to wake up to themselves IMO and learn to take this award for what it is rather than whinging every year the winner isn't Mr Obvious.

And personally, I love that the award recognises a guy like Priddis instead of spewing up the same generic names and opinions that media and punters like to promote. It is it's own award with its own character and I hope it never changes.

I still remember when in '94 when Williams had a 44 possession game and didn't get a single vote which meant that Wanganeen ended up winning the medal by a vote or two.
I remember in those days they used to show montages of which players starred in the round right before the votes were read out, and in this montage they said that Williams starred with 44 possessions and when he didn't get a single vote, there were groans throughout the crowd.

That's why this award means nothing, because one player can get 44 possessions in one game and not get a vote, and another player can get 25 meaningless possessions in another game and be awarded the 3 votes.

A better way would be to get all the umpires together after every weekend and they can negotiate which 3 players deserved the 3, 2, 1 from all the games played. Basically every round we would only have 3 vote getters from the entire competition.

He seemed a bit embarrassed by it all. I was kind of hoping he'd poll two votes in the last match so at least whoever did win, got it cleanly. The interesting thing of course is that Fyfe (missed 5 matches), Ablett (missed 7 matches), Kennedy (missed a few matches) and Franklin (missed the last round) could have all easily won the medal had they played even one more match. Clearly Fyfe and Ablett had the others covered by some margin. One of those quirky Brownlow results that pops up from time to time.

:D Yeah, I've been meaning to take a look at the West Coast board and gauge the reaction of the Matt Priddis fan club.

So much of this stuff is appearances and perception. Josh Kennedy is admired by everyone and would've been viewed as a worthy winner, but I don't think he is any more damaging with his disposal than Priddis. He isn't quick or dynamic. Kennedy is a big unit, whereas Priddis has a more burrowing, ferreting style, but on the whole, there isn't a lot of difference between them as footballers. For some reason, Kennedy is pumped up as the best centreman in the AFL, whereas Priddis struggles to make people's Top 50 lists. It's all out of whack, IMO.

Well put. Some pointed out that JPK this year had a lower disposal efficiency and more clangers than Priddis, yet I'm willing to bet a large sum of money that no-one would claim JPK 'Bradburied' the medal. Some will then argue that it's not just about stats, but then they will mock other posters who rate Priddis as one of the top mids this year even if those posters don't use stats to back their opinion.

It's confusing.

You think the umpires have a better idea of who was BoG over the coaches or even the players. Im not having a dig at Priddis I'm just saying the Coaches award and players award have more credibility than the Brownlow in my eyes.

The players award is the most useless award ever. It is voted for at the end of the season and not week-by-week. So if your form is great late you are more of a chance than if your form was great early. Most players might watch a couple of games a week at most (and definitely not all 9). Even when they watch games are they really thinking about who is the best player?? Then some of them vote for their mates rather than who is the best.

The coaches award has alot of merit as it is judged by the men who are in control of the game. But again, who does the votes (do some of the assistants?, do they talk about who to give the votes to or just do it off the cuff?)

I have no problem with the brownlow. Yes umpires will make mistakes but generally they get it right. Basically every favorite was up there and you cant deny priddis didnt have a great year. He was a benefactor in that no other eagles player was taking votes, unlike geelong (selwood/Johnson), Sydney (Franklin/Kennedy) and Port (Boak/Gray)

Wasnt surprised to see Lewis not even close, didnt get the hype of him being a chance. Yes had a great year but didnt think he was that good, same with Heppell.

Can we throw this up as the dumbest post of 2014??

Pretty confident your mob could find a place for Treloar, Shiel, Coniglio, Greene, Whitfield and Kelly.

Stop drinking bong water buddy, it's harmful.
libba and walis combines would rip then a new one jog on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A great reward for years of hard work.

That being said he's still an incredibly limited player and the quicker he is replaced in the middle by Shuey & Co. the better we will be.

A Brownlow is a very compelling argument to change your assessment on his year. He is the leagues fairest and best player of 2014

The brownlow medal is really "the most consistently high performing on baller' medal, and once Fyfe and Ablett are excluded, the stats say Priddis is a worthy candidate for that award.

The big weakness with brownlow voting is that it equally rewards very good games (which Priddis plays a lot of) and genuine superstar calibre games (which Priddis rarely plays)- a performance where a player gets 25 touches and 6 clearances at 75% efficiency, and an Ablettesque game where a player gets 30 touches, 10 clearances, 2 goals and 90% efficiency, and the very rare 8-10 goal key forward day outs will all most likely get 3 votes on a night when their team wins, even though the latter two things are far rarer and far more meritorious.

I don't think that's necessarily an outrage, but one way to improve it and better recognise the really elite performances would be to still have 3-2-1 voting, but give the umpires the discretion to award up to 5 votes for the BOG performance if it was really outstanding- So if someone has a stupidly good game, allow them 4 votes or 5 rather than 3. That would elevate the vote tallies of the likes of Ablett/Fyfe/Dangerfield whilst still rewarding consistency over a season.

I wonder if the Eagles supporters that have been bagging Prids for the last few years will stop now

One Eagles supporter said he would tear up his membership if Priddis won the Charlie. I wonder if he really did :p

Could gain the captaincy role for WC now after this

A Brownlow doesn't hide any of Priddis's flaws.

Now is the perfect time to trade him.

Interesting that genuine match winners this year like robbie gray who single handedly won the semi final, consistantly tore games apart all year barely got a vote, and someone like Priddis who most people argue that opposition coaches allow to run free because he barely influences any games can be named a brownlow

The Brownlow has never been an award for the greatest player in the competition.

It's an award for the fairest and best player though. And that award should surely go to the best player? I get that Ablett didn't play enough games, but there were plenty of players who played enough matches who deserved it more.

It's voted by the umpires for the Fairest and best player in each individual game. The player who they choose as fitting this criteria most times in a season wins.

The fact that the voting system doesn't properly give out votes to determine who is the best player over the season isn't an argument in your favour. It just highlights that the voting system doesn't make sense. In a game where there are 44 players playing in each match, it doesn't make sense to only award three players votes and not in a 3-2-1 system anyway.

This is 100% why the umpires should NOT vote.

Make a panel of experts who debate the votes after the game not looking at stats etc... With the amount of technology we have now and how everyone in Australia can watch the game it is stupid to still have these maggots voting for the best award in Australia

(In before "but they are the closest to the game so they would know" idiotic argument)
Inb4 we get the AA selectors voting on the brownlow. The same favourites would poll each game.

The brownlow medal is really "the most consistently high performing on baller' medal, and once Fyfe and Ablett are excluded, the stats say Priddis is a worthy candidate for that award.

The big weakness with brownlow voting is that it equally rewards very good games (which Priddis plays a lot of) and genuine superstar calibre games (which Priddis rarely plays)- a performance where a player gets 25 touches and 6 clearances at 75% efficiency, and an Ablettesque game where a player gets 30 touches, 10 clearances, 2 goals and 90% efficiency, and the very rare 8-10 goal key forward day outs will all most likely get 3 votes on a night when their team wins, even though the latter two things are far rarer and far more meritorious.

I don't think that's necessarily an outrage, but one way to improve it and better recognise the really elite performances would be to still have 3-2-1 voting, but give the umpires the discretion to award up to 5 votes for the BOG performance if it was really outstanding- So if someone has a stupidly good game, allow them 4 votes or 5 rather than 3. That would elevate the vote tallies of the likes of Ablett/Fyfe/Dangerfield whilst still rewarding consistency over a season.

My change would be to allow the umpires to award five players a number of votes out of ten. So the best five would get somewhere around six-eight, and if they had a really good game, they'd get 10. This would mean that two Ablett 10s would be worth more than three Priddis sixes.

maybe I was the odd one out last night but I really wanted fyfe to get the most votes just too see the AFL red faced again. In one of the worst years in AFL history due to the Essendon saga, boring football games, seagull footballers, players with NO personality's, channel 7 football coverage, BRIAN TAYLOR, defensive game plans (thank god for port power), brownlow medalist that cant get in the all-australian team, the games greatest player goes down with a shoulder injury (which cost him the brownlow, MVP, AA captian and the suns BnF) and much much more..... It would of been fitting to see Fyfe get the most votes after this year.... hopefully sydney and hawthorn can salvage something out of this season on Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Congratulations Matt Priddis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back