Mega Thread Congratulations Matt Priddis

Remove this Banner Ad

Not all Freo supporters about Priddis are bitter.

I'm personally glad he won it and polled higher than Fyfe (that would have been awful). Solid, durable working man - the Brownlow is such a shitheap sometimes it's refreshing to see the silent achiever get the goods.

He also supported Freo in his youth - I don't care what some Dockers supporters think he'd offer more to our midfield than Mundy is currently putting on the table.

No, with that award the coaches vote for players from both their team and the opposition team.
So the opposition coach can only vote for the best players on the opposition team? What about if the the game was a 150 point thrashing? The best player in the losing side's votes have the same value as the winners?

I don't think you've thought this through

That's ridiculous, you can't make someone vote for an opposition player lol.
If that is how it worked, A spud could play in a football team with only worse spuds and win the award every year coz the coach was forced to vote for them.
Crazy idea.
Nathan Jones would win that award every year

So the opposition coach can only vote for the best players on the opposition team? What about if the the game was a 150 point thrashing? The best player in the losing side's votes have the same value as the winners?

I don't think you've thought this through

I certainly haven't thought it through, it was a 10 second post.

I'm not fussed about the umpires voting. Unless we're going to go entirely off stats, the votes are going to be a bit arbitrary in some fashion.

But I also don't think it should be kept that way just because.

Yeah agreed, Dangerfield was clearly having a bit of a joke and a laugh about it. Plus he had been drinking like everyone else. What's the big deal?
it sometime seems like people on big footy want boring people. every post match interview goes like this "(kingy) you played well today after kicking 6 goals?? (player) the team just stuck to the structure, I played my role in the team and we did our job to get the result............. give me brake...... I wish the AFL could allow the players to say what they are really thinking without getting massive fines.

I think it's an excellent result good on him made my day
It's pretty telling that many Freo fans are happy for him. A bloke from their most bitter rival who has deficiencies that are easily attacked and has lead the team as captain a number of times. Critics should take note.

If you think so. He's a ripping bloke and has come a long way from being rookie listed. Give the guy some credit
He takes home upward of 350k a year. That's a good deal of credit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the voting system that's flawed. A voting system that ranked every player (by opinion) a score out of 10 each match would be far more representative of a winner, though it couldn't be done by umpires because there's no way they'd get 44 players with a representative result.

He's hardly the first player to win it who wasn't the best that year?

Any one of Ablett, selwood, grey,Kennedy, franklin could have won it and it would have been justified.

The problem I think most people have with Priddis is his ball use. He does not get tagged because opposition are more concerned with shuey who is a far more dangerous player than Priddis. Priddis gets left to his own devices because his impact is minimal and somehow he had bradburied a brownlow

It's pretty telling that many Freo fans are happy for him. A bloke from their most bitter rival who has deficiencies that are easily attacked and has lead the team as captain a number of times. Critics should take note.

One thing Matty doesn't lack is a propensity for bloody hard work. Appreciating that he is not an elite player, but he puts in 110% every time and uses his skills to the best of his ability. Deserves recognition for this attribute alone, which many more talented players don't display and consequently never reach their full potential. Very much like our Michael Barlow in the fact that he has taken the hard road to get to where he's at and is paying back the opportunity given to him every time he takes the field.

Any one of Ablett, selwood, grey,Kennedy, franklin could have won it and it would have been justified.

The problem I think most people have with Priddis is his ball use. He does not get tagged because opposition are more concerned with shuey who is a far more dangerous player than Priddis. Priddis gets left to his own devices because his impact is minimal and somehow he had bradburied a brownlow
And yet he averaged a higher disposal efficiency percentage and a lower clanger count than Kennedy (by a significant 0.8 per game) with more clearances and a higher tackle count. Glad that Kennedy didn't win it, would have bradburied it.

The Shueys and Mastens would hardly get the ball without Priddis' stoppage work, he's almost a lone hand in their engine room and doesn't get anywhere near the chop out Kennedy gets from his on ball brigade.

Last edited:
And yet he averaged a higher disposal efficiency percentage and a lower clanger count than Kennedy (by a significant 0.8 per game) with more clearances and a higher tackle count. Glad that Kennedy didn't win it, would have bradburied it.

The Shueys and Mastens would hardly get the ball without Priddis' stoppage work, he's almost a lone hand in their engine room and doesn't get anywhere near the chop out Kennedy gets from his on ball brigade.

In part that's the problem some WCE supporters have with Priddis.

It's quite obviously that the midfield setup is built around the ruckman and Priddis and it's become obvious that this setup isn't working on field. We'll be a better team once we diversify away from Priddis.

It's worth keeping in mind a lot of it is borderline schadenfreude given a lot of Freo fans are in the same camp as the diehard anti-Priddis mob on your board and think this will just hurt you long term.

Irrespective of that Priddis is definitely a hard bloke to dislike and he was a Freo fan before joining your flog club ;)

It's worth keeping in mind a lot of it is borderline schadenfreude given a lot of Freo fans are in the same camp as the diehard anti-Priddis mob on your board and think this will just hurt you long term.

Irrespective of that Priddis is definitely a hard bloke to dislike and he was a Freo fan before joining your flog club ;)

I call bullshit... there is no "borderline" ;)

In part that's the problem some WCE supporters have with Priddis.

It's quite obviously that the midfield setup is built around the ruckman and Priddis and it's become obvious that this setup isn't working on field. We'll be a better team once we diversify away from Priddis.
Surely that's a problem with your coaching staff and how they structure the midfield and not of the player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Congratulations Matt Priddis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back