Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I never really thought of that, well in that case 40000 could be a good chance.

I think first year or two will get a few extras who wont hang around (kind of a bandwagon, but not exactly), so I'd still be thinking a fair few more early on.

It'll be interesting to see.

I understand that

June is usually the mildest winter month in Hobart but the cold Southerly wind at times probably makes it feel colder than those other cities.

Its the very changeability which is the hallmark of Hobart weather. The BOM shows Hobart is quite a dry city, But you can get a wisp of rain that'll hardly register on the meter at almost anytime. When they forecast showers, you may get some, or not. Or its in different parts of the city. The hills & the Mountain effect weather to a very local degree.

Monday here was a lovely mainly sunny day it got to 19c. Yesterday was max 13c, felt like 10c with drizzle & low cloud most of the day. Pretty awful day.

Today was 19c & really nice again! Tomorrow back to 13c & some winter once more!!!!

Luckily I had time today & got all my mowing done & dug some weeds out, all stuff you'd do on a nice spring day!

Its the very changeability which is the hallmark of Hobart weather. The BOM shows Hobart is quite a dry city, But you can get a wisp of rain that'll hardly register on the meter at almost anytime. When they forecast showers, you may get some, or not. Or its in different parts of the city. The hills & the Mountain effect weather to a very local degree.

Monday here was a lovely mainly sunny day it got to 19c. Yesterday was max 13c, felt like 10c with drizzle & low cloud most of the day. Pretty awful day.

Today was 19c & really nice again! Tomorrow back to 13c & some winter once more!!!!

Luckily I had time today & got all my mowing done & dug some weeds out, all stuff you'd do on a nice spring day!

A lot comes down to getting acclimatised.

I lived in Canada for a couple of years, I remember going out at the end of one winter in -4C wearing jeans and a hoodie and thinking it was really starting to warm up. ( a month or so earlier it had been -20C quite frequently, so I wasn't wrong...)

The issue is more that for those coming to Hobart for a few days, how will it feel for them?

Of course, this works both ways (Tas team going elsewhere will also have to deal with temps, etc. they're not used to), but being the 'new kid', and needing their votes to get in, you're the ones who have to make the others happy.

That isn't to say it's 'right' that it works that way, it's just the way the cookie crumbles.

A lot comes down to getting acclimatised.

I lived in Canada for a couple of years, I remember going out at the end of one winter in -4C wearing jeans and a hoodie and thinking it was really starting to warm up. ( a month or so earlier it had been -20C quite frequently, so I wasn't wrong...)

The issue is more that for those coming to Hobart for a few days, how will it feel for them?

Of course, this works both ways (Tas team going elsewhere will also have to deal with temps, etc. they're not used to), but being the 'new kid', and needing their votes to get in, you're the ones who have to make the others happy.

That isn't to say it's 'right' that it works that way, it's just the way the cookie crumbles.

You do realise that we get thousands here for the Dark MOFO, mid winter festival. They don't die of exposure.

Its never -20c here, or even -4. In fact -anything over night here is rare. (1,2 or 3c overnight, maybe not so rare :))

I spent a week in Ballarat some years ago. The warmest day was 7c. About -4 or -5 or so each night. Yet it was a brilliant week! Rugged up. Touring about, beers & food in front of the fire. Its a great spot.

People find that when visiting other places, like Hobart, ;)

You do realise that we get thousands here for the Dark MOFO, mid winter festival. They don't die of exposure.

Its never -20c here, or even -4. In fact -anything over night here is rare. (1,2 or 3c overnight, maybe not so rare :))

I spent a week in Ballarat some years ago. The warmest day was 7c. About -4 or -5 or so each night. Yet it was a brilliant week! Rugged up. Touring about, beers & food in front of the fire. Its a great spot.

People find that when visiting other places, like Hobart, ;)

Yeah, but you're talking people playing football in that, and the whole business case for Tas is about attracting tourists for games.

Melbourne, it's not that unlike, but WA, SA, NSW, and QLD fans would all think twice.

I don't really think a roof is necessary, but I also think it would help attract more tourists (and be more attractive to the clubs who have to vote on it).

Actually a 13 degree day like yesterday that's felt like 10 is still relatively mild compared to a day with a very cold Southerly and 5c but feels like -4.

Yeah, but you're talking people playing football in that, and the whole business case for Tas is about attracting tourists for games.

Melbourne, it's not that unlike, but WA, SA, NSW, and QLD fans would all think twice.

I don't really think a roof is necessary, but I also think it would help attract more tourists (and be more attractive to the clubs who have to vote on it).
Or they could bring a jacket. Seriously. Footy is a winter sport.

A bit of hyperbole I think.

None the less I think a TasTeam will get more members ' straight off the bat' than GWS or GC have had after 12 or so years of trying.

I'd be thinking of a solid 40k paid up memberships straight away when/if they start. ( I might buy one for the dog too, do they count? :))
year 1 isn't the issue.

The issue is year 10 when people are over the novelty and they have to sink or swim on the basis of their onfield performances. All while they're bleeding talent back to Melbourne, and the government's looking to scale back their commitment.

year 1 isn't the issue.

The issue is year 10 when people are over the novelty and they have to sink or swim on the basis of their onfield performances. All while they're bleeding talent back to Melbourne, and the government's looking to scale back their commitment.
That’s the sprit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s funny when I lived in wa whenever you told someone you were from tassie they say how much they loved going there. Remember you have cradle mountain and and mt Wellington close to both Hobart and Launceston people from the northern states froth on seing the snow especially familys

year 1 isn't the issue.

You can’t compare a traditional football state to what happens in Queensland and nsw you should be comparing us to what happens in wa and sa

Carlton haven’t played finals for gawd only knows how long.
massive Problems at Essendon,
North has problems, so too West Coast and the way to solve this is to introduce a new team?
So draft concessions again, another team on the feed of AFL assistance. Here we go again.

You can sink a ship if you overload it with weight. This new team makes it even more unlikely my team will play finals.
All I ask for is to experience one match of finals action within 5 years… I went to the 2013 match, I’m still waiting.

Why not get an existing team to play half of their matches in Tasmania?

Carlton haven’t played finals for gawd only knows how long.
massive Problems at Essendon,
North has problems, so too West Coast and the way to solve this is to introduce a new team?
So draft concessions again, another team on the feed of AFL assistance. Here we go again.

You can sink a ship if you overload it with weight. This new team makes it even more unlikely my team will play finals.
All I ask for is to experience one match of finals action within 5 years… I went to the 2013 match, I’m still waiting.

Why not get an existing team to play half of their matches in Tasmania?
Because no team will agree to play half their matches in Tasmania and Tassie wants their own team.

If I was a Geelong supporter, I would favour a new team coming in as “equalisation” doesn’t effect them.

They’ve played in 20 of the last 22 finals series or whatever it is.,, but for supporters of teams that are “finals poor” having a new team the first thought is - will this new entity beat my team and prevent us seeing finals.

We don’t exactly have a great record against GWS and Gold Coast as it is.

I’ve lived thru 20 years of the “what’s good for football” mantra.. how about a little “what‘s good for Carlton”

If this new team helps Carlton in any way I’m for it.

Last edited:
All 18 club CEOs are onboard with Tasmania, but there are still 4 presidents against (Browne, Pridham, Cochrane and Kennett).

If the AFL held the vote tomorrow it would get up, but Gil is working on Browne and Pridham because he wants (but does not need) the decision to be unanimous. Whilst Kennett and Cochrane are against, their boards as a whole are supportive.

It very much seems that Tasmania will get up. It's now just a question of what form the licence takes (conditional, entry timeline, etc.)

All 18 club CEOs are onboard with Tasmania, but there are still 4 presidents against (Browne, Pridham, Cochrane and Kennett).

If the AFL held the vote tomorrow it would get up, but Gil is working on Browne and Pridham because he wants (but does not need) the decision to be unanimous. Whilst Kennett and Cochrane are against, their boards as a whole are supportive.

It very much seems that Tasmania will get up. It's now just a question of what form the licence takes (conditional, entry timeline, etc.)
Most likely conditional on a stadium and I just hope we get an entry date not just a yes but no entry date.

year 1 isn't the issue.

Interesting view through your crystal ball.

Have you seen how the ASX will be in 10 years? Or the winner of the Melbourne cup perhaps?

The 'what if' or 'perhaps' argument applies to anyone, any club, or anything.

If every plan only looked at those negatives, they'd never build or invest in anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back