Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Are Richmond the new Premiership Favourites?

• Yes. The Dominant team and rule at Fortress G - Too good!

Votes: 128 34.6%
  • No. Geelong will roll on once more

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • West Coast to go Back to Back

Votes: 105 28.4%
  • Collingwood will regroup and Redeem themselves

Votes: 38 10.3%
  • GWS will break through for their first flag

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Brisbane will break the hearts of many

Votes: 59 15.9%
  • Essendon will emerge

Votes: 17 4.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond lurk as a threat for the Premiership, but we need less injuries in the back half. We now have at least 4/5 of our most important 5 players miss (or set to miss) at least 6 weeks. Our youth have been fantastic, but a Premiership may be a lot to ask from them if this continues.

With a fit squad minus Rance though, I think we could be a huge threat this year for the Premiership. Our bottom few players have been taking up bigger roles than in the past, so that would hold us in good stead I imagine.

Love the Richmond-Hawthorn affair later this arvo. Footy at the G between these two big teams is awesome. Interesting to see what both teams bring today.

I don't know how so many of you have the Pies as contenders at the minute on current form. Talk about no where near potential, very unconvincing wins against the blose and saints.................... hardly premiership fancy form.

One quarter and 10 minutes of glimpse form won't win it. IF they can find top gear at the pointy end then fair enough their best is good enough but not the best in the comp.

My question that no one has answered, are Geelong playing at peak? Can they continue this sublime form all the way?

One thing for certain, they'll need to be playing at this level at the business end if they are to win it.

My question that no one has answered, are Geelong playing at peak? Can they continue this sublime form all the way?

One thing for certain, they'll need to be playing at this level at the business end if they are to win it.

I can’t see any reason to suggest we have peaked. We have been pretty poor the past fortnight and are clearly carrying some sore players at the moment. Much to improve on.

I think Geelong and Collingwood still have gears to go to hence 40+ wins for both teams yesterday after being challenged for three quarters.

I don't know how so many of you have the Pies as contenders at the minute on current form. Talk about no where near potential, very unconvincing wins against the blose and saints.................... hardly premiership fancy form.

One quarter and 10 minutes of glimpse form won't win it. IF they can find top gear at the pointy end then fair enough their best is good enough but not the best in the comp.

Because you’re in second despite being on second gear. Just like the Eagles are fourth despite playing terrible footy. Both teams are well placed if they find the form we know they have.

As for Geelong, May premiers rarely end up September premiers, IMO.

Just my opinion, no need to take it personally. I don’t think Geelong will win the premiership but I have literally no control over it.

Also, fourth ;)

Fourth, with GWS and the Tigers yet to play. West Coast didn't start the round in 4th... remains to be seen where they'll be on the ladder at the end of the round.

I'm not taking it personally, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just seems a biased or misguided opinion that you're more likely to be a contender for the Flag being down the ladder and playing poorly after 9 rounds than sitting top.

Fourth, with GWS and the Tigers yet to play. West Coast didn't start the round in 4th... remains to be seen where they'll be on the ladder at the end of the round.

I'm not taking it personally, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just seems a biased or misguided opinion that you're more likely to be a contender for the Flag being down the ladder and playing poorly after 9 rounds than sitting top.
Ah, wasn’t saying we (or Collingwood) were more a contender, just that they still are contenders. Geelong are also contenders but it’s my opinion they won’t win the premiership.

I could throw a blanket over the Cats, Pies, Eagles, Tigers and GWS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top 8 is set for me. Yeah I know its only round 9. But when I look at the current 8. I don't see any of those teams being replaced by bombers, freo, hawks or the dogs.
Bulldogs would be the best of those teams you'd think but I think their young players will get tired 2nd half of year and they'll drop off

Top 8 is set for me. Yeah I know its only round 9. But when I look at the current 8. I don't see any of those teams being replaced by bombers, freo, hawks or the dogs.
I’m not convinced on The Crows or Power, I feel both could drop out. Also the Lions while looking good might falter at some point in the season being a young side.

I wouldn’t lock it in just yet.

I’m not convinced on The Crows or Power, I feel both could drop out. Also the Lions while looking good might falter at some point in the season being a young side.

I wouldn’t lock it in just yet.
What was the 2018 ladder after round 9?

Bulldogs would be the best of those teams you'd think but I think their young players will get tired 2nd half of year and they'll drop off
We also have the toughest run home of any side. Making finals is a distant dream for us from here, I think finishing 11-11 would be a great result for us tbh

I don't know how so many of you have the Eagles as contenders at the minute on current form. Talk about no where near potential, very unconvincing wins against the Saints and Dees.................... hardly premiership fancy form.

Edits in bold & this is an Eagles supporters post with the exact same sentiments.

It's wide open at the moment which keeps the comp interesting.

If a team is playing "terrible" footy and are 6-3. Then I'd be putting a bet on them for the flag. Good form and they'll be unbeatable.

Richmond are winning with one hand tied behind their backs atm and have no where near hit their straps yet. Like WC, we are 6-3 but still have Cotchin, Jack, Nankervis, Short and half a dozen other players to come back in...if they can force there way back that is.

Its all relative imho. Like Geelong & Collingwood atm, we were relatively injury free in 2017 & 2018. If both can stay that way and build their form into the finals. They are the two to beat. GWS will surprize many though.

If a team is playing "terrible" footy and are 6-3. Then I'd be putting a bet on them for the flag. Good form and they'll be unbeatable.

So are you going to back Richmond or West Coast? Or hedge your bets and go a little each way?

How much did you bet on the Swans last season? Or maybe you backed Port? Both were 6-3 after 9 rounds and were playing fairly ordinary footy, imagine how unbeatable they'd have been if they found some form.

Relying on a team to find form to be a contender means that, right now, they're not a contender.

I have no idea how its going to play out, but Geelong have been super impressive and are leading the way. Collingwood have had our measure last 2 times but they're not consistent.

We are playing on 1 leg and are 6-3, pretty bloody proud of how our kids are playing. Not sure how this season will play out but we will be all the more stronger for it next year, and even this year.

I reckon at this stage we are a threat that needs to be considered, along with Geelong, Collingwood and GWS. No other stand outs at this stage.

If. If the Eagles find their form. It's not 2018 however and it's not the finals. Even if they do rediscover it, it might not be as good as what Geelong or Collingwood bring or find. Who's to say Geelong or Collingwood won't go up another gear? That's the beauty of discussion and our opinions. I think a fair few West Coast supporters are biased towards their team. As there are with any side. The argument with the Eagles is they've been playing poorly since they knocked off the Magpies in round 3. I've said it before and will say it again, their best is the best. If they have that intensity and slickness in which they disposed of the Pies in the Grand Final rematch they won't be stopped. But since then they haven't been anywhere near that.

That's the issue with the Eagles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Back