List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Who do you want the Eagles to select in the Mid Season Draft?

• Luke Beecken

Votes: 27 22.1%
  • Ben Hopkins

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Trey Ruscoe

Votes: 18 14.8%
  • Will McLachlan

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Jacob Blight

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Jasper Scaife

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Jack Hutchinson

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • Geordie Payne

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
There's no denying the player he is. I am just very worried about how developed he already is as a player and a lack of upside particularly with his small frame.

Great couple of games against men particularly off the bat but the step from where he is to being a leading midfielder at AFL level is huge.
The Gif Wars. No Words. Just Gifs. Let's talk with images. - Page 469

I have a bit of an inside here, but kid is lucky to even be playing VFL, I wouldn't waste the list spot on him. Apologies for the intrusion, I'll back out now.

Yeah, but he's from WA so this board will continue to discuss him until he's delisted or re-signs.

How many genuine stars(AA quality) do you think a finals quality team needs? Collingwood last year probably only had 5-6, Port last year only had 4-5.
If we count Reid, Allen, 1 of Hewett/Ginbey, plus one of the rest currently on the list, thats 4. 1-2 more and we are set.

What do you think those teams look like without those stars? they look very average, and most people would dismiss a lot of those players as spuds who will never make it, just like you are doing to the teenagers in their 1st/2nd years on our list.

You are dismissing teenagers way too soon.
Such a negative post lmao
Maybe I am but “positive thinking” doesn’t hold sway. We’re still paying off Nic Nat, paying Gaff big money to play twos, paying huge salaries to Gov and Yeo. Kelly was brought in to keep the window open and hopefully bring in another premiership at a huge cost, and it’s killed us. We didn’t even get close, in fact we couldn’t be further away from achieving what we wanted out of the trade with all the injuries. He’s been great, it’s not his fault, but it’s left our list completely shattered. Rohan Elton John OBrien should be facing way more blame for this than he has.

And now with Tassie coming in diluting the pool of draft picks in 4 years time, it’s going to be a tough rebuild that’s only just started. Things could get worse. Ginbey was slogged playing on the ball getting belted every week. If we want 200 games out of him well he needs to be managed properly going forward.

I have us further from finals than hawks and north. Hopefully Hough, Long, Edwards, Maric continue to develop well and maybe we get more very good quality in the draft.

Cue the vitriol I spose…

Last edited:

But its worth repeating here that player comparisons are only used to suggest the "type" not the capacity. We normally say this to prevent people from expecting too much, but it works the other way as well. I'm not saying that he's Gresham, just that he could end up playing that kind of role. High half forward that pushes up and gets heavily involved in general play, conduit into the forward line, kicks a few goals.

You should have said he could end up playing like Darcy Jones ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah, but he's from WA so this board will continue to discuss him until he's delisted or re-signs.
Yup.

So many people on here keep acting like if we get him our KPD stocks are sorted for next 10 years. But if he was truly a gun he would have cracked a game by now. There may be extenuating circumstances why he hasn't played, I don't really know. But it is curious.

Now I'm not saying he won't be or will be good (he very well may be), haven't seen him play since his draft year. But I'm guessing that's also the case for the majority of people pumping him up.

Last edited:
I typically just post the F/S and academy kids to their club boards, but this was a BOG performance by Levi so some of you might be interested:

Levi won the possession count again for the Academy in game two and was named best on ground for his performance. Matched up against the mature Footscray mids he was tough and strong in both the stoppages and general contested situations around the ground showing that he's more than just an outside accumulator.

Small, slow, poor disposal.

Agreed a lot of unknown about the Eagles 22-18yo. This is why we have to keep throwing darts when we can. Gotta create a spot for MSD somehow.

Do agree with you on the overall principle but pick 4 as it stands in the MSD is a lot less inspiring than pick 1 - there's been 1 or 2 good contributors taken there or later but given we'll unlikely get much out of someone for 6 months only and so would likely need to use up a list spot for next year I wouldn't be devastated if we sit it out.

Hopefully will have a few incoming trade/FAs as well as a high pick or two and with the resurgence of a few delist candidates (Jamo, Rotham, LEdwards etc) it might be harder to cut deep than we think. Might be a better use of the spot to just use it on an extra draft/rookie pick at the end of the year

(If we do get a LTI I'd be definitely keen to take a pick even if they are just on the list for 6 months, why not, but wouldn't want to manufacture it at the expense of someone like Hewett playing later in the year)

TBH I am a bit. You either have be be absolutely exceptional, or if you are a 180cm inside mid you need a bigger frame to build on otherwise I'm just not interested in spending a top 5 pick on one.

He is arguably the/or second most physically developed (overall body not size) footballer in the draft pool, has finished school, does 2 weight sessions a week plus training and playing games. He is also a January birthday. If he was 1 month older I don't think he would have gone top 10 in last years draft. I think he would have gone at 13 or 14.

TBH I am a bit. You either have be be absolutely exceptional, or if you are a 180cm inside mid you need a bigger frame to build on otherwise I'm just not interested in spending a top 5 pick on one.

He is arguably the/or second most physically developed (overall body not size) footballer in the draft pool, has finished school, does 2 weight sessions a week plus training and playing games. He is also a January birthday. If he was 1 month older I don't think he would have gone top 10 in last years draft. I think he would have gone at 13 or 14.
Sounds like a lock for NM

Maybe I am but “positive thinking” doesn’t hold sway. We’re still paying off Nic Nat, paying Gaff big money to play twos, paying huge salaries to Gov and Yeo. Kelly was brought in to keep the window open and hopefully bring in another premiership at a huge cost, and it’s killed us. We didn’t even get close, in fact we couldn’t be further away from achieving what we wanted out of the trade with all the injuries. He’s been great, it’s not his fault, but it’s left our list completely shattered. Rohan Elton John OBrien should be facing way more blame for this than he has.
What does this have to do with the quality of our young guys? As I said, a club only needs a handful of AA quality guys to contend, and we likely have at least 4 on the list.
The Kelly trade is years ago, not relevant to what you said before, same as anything about NicNat, or Gaff, or any of the senior players. We are talking about the future.
None of this is positive thinking, im balanced here. Just look at the players we have and tell me we are nowhere near finding the 5-6 AA quality guys needed to be a top 4 side, remembering we have multiple years still to find them.
And now with Tassie coming in diluting the pool of draft picks in 4 years time, it’s going to be a tough rebuild that’s only just started. Things could get worse. Ginbey was slogged playing on the ball getting belted every week. If we want 200 games out of him well he needs to be managed properly going forward.
Not relevant, again. The guys are teenagers, they have years of development to come. How does Tassy coming in 4 years time have anything to do with the kids already on the list?
I have us further from finals than hawks and north. Hopefully Hough, Long, Edwards, Maric continue to develop well and maybe we get more very good quality in the draft.
Maybe, but we have actual mentors for the young guys, North and the Hawks dont. We likely get more out of our kids relative to their potential than those other 2 clubs do.

Its not like we are done drafting either, we have a high pick this year, and likely a top 6 pick next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ralph on On the Couch tonight saying that Yeo wants to stay at West Coast and had an agreement for 2 years on lower money and then West Coast have dragged their feet (probs with the change over of list manager I'd expect). Now Yeo's manager is testing the market which will drive up Yeo's value.

More and more chat about Baker leaving and majority of the time the Eagles seem to be the team linked. (I personally think he will stay)

If we managed to land English, Baker (2nd RD Pick) and get say Sid Draper in the draft. With a standard afl team injury run next year. How many plus wins would you estimate that put us? From say 5 this year to 9 next? Not sure how that is a bad thing. Both could play 6 years.

I know it’s a how longs a piece of string? But so is most of the stuff that gets posted on here.

Ralph on On the Couch tonight saying that Yeo wants to stay at West Coast and had an agreement for 2 years on lower money and then West Coast have dragged their feet (probs with the change over of list manager I'd expect). Now Yeo's manager is testing the market which will drive up Yeo's value.
He just likes potting the Eagles the most

They’ll sort it out - plus Yeo knows he could break down at any moment, he’ll be keen to get it sorted if he can get 2 years.

He just likes potting the Eagles the most
Yeah. Ralph saying that other clubs are offering big deals etc... Buckley brought him back to earth a bit by saying something like - with Yeo's groins, 4 weeks ago no-one would have been offering deals, and the club probably just wanted to make sure he'd hold up physically before locking him in.

More and more chat about Baker leaving and majority of the time the Eagles seem to be the team linked. (I personally think he will stay)

If we managed to land English, Baker (2nd RD Pick) and get say Sid Draper in the draft. With a standard afl team injury run next year. How many plus wins would you estimate that put us? From say 5 this year to 9 next? Not sure how that is a bad thing. Both could play 6 years.

I know it’s a how longs a piece of string? But so is most of the stuff that gets posted on here.

There is no way we are doing that. That’s bonkers. 😅

There is no way we are doing that. That’s bonkers. 😅
Haha, I know and that’s why I love it. it’s what happens straight after trade period anyway. Im just bringing it forward ;).

I just putting it out there, the Eagles recruiting team hit home runs and get their two most wanted players. What would the ‘experts’ predict the Eagles win tally to be in 2025.

All of the mail I've read, he seems to be linked with Freo, not us.

Back