List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 36 27.1%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 17 12.8%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
I’m half being a smart arse but maybe they see Bailey Williams as a forward ruck that can help Larkey as another tall target whilst being capable of giving Xerri a chop out in the ruck

Whether any clubs are interested in him I have no idea but if there is interest we at least have him under contract which would help in any negotiations.

Best I think we could realistically get is a late R2. To get someone like ED Allan (unlikely) or Hardeman we’d need to be adding something else in
Norf are better off getting another forward ruck type later in the draft. If anything, I think Collingwood would be interested in him to replace Mason Cox in the forward/ruck role. Probably we could get a late R2 at best as you said which we could draft a slider with. Probably Ed Allan if he wants to head back home will be going to Freo more likely as they have a better draft capital than what we can offer without us giving away too much.

Teakle nominated 18 month terms, I wouldn't have thought we'd be chasing a ruck like Bailey Williams, a ruck/forward maybe.

CCJ is contracted to next year and will be back from a list management perspective.

I think Teakle replaces Free essentially, with CCJ resuming his list spot from the LTI next year.

I've certainly never heard Williams name come up at North events.
North has events?

Norf are better off getting another forward ruck type later in the draft. If anything, I think Collingwood would be interested in him to replace Mason Cox in the forward/ruck role. Probably we could get a late R2 at best as you said which we could draft a slider with. Probably Ed Allan if he wants to head back home will be going to Freo more likely as they have a better draft capital than what we can offer without us giving away too much.
Don't actually know where the Ed Allen talk is coming from other than he's West Aussie. He signed an two-year extension in his first year, said they had been great to him, his dad praised the club and said he was now a Pies supporter. It's the complete opposite situation to Busslinger, who hasn't signed on.

Don't actually know where the Ed Allen talk is coming from other than he's West Aussie. He signed a two-year extension in his first year, said they had been great to him, his dad praised the club and said he was now a Pies supporter. It's the complete opposite situation to Busslinger, who hasn't signed on.
Just off the rumour the Pies are interested in trading for another recently signed and happy Eagle?

For the Eagles to give him up, what would the Pies be willing to give up. Don’t think it’s that’s deep.

Sid was quieter this week disposal wise along with a number of his SA teammates as they took a surprise beating from WA. The positive is that he appears to be elevating parts of his game each week as he regains full match fitness following a long injury layoff. After an improvement last week his stoppage work was better again here, and he showed more intent to chase and apply defensive pressure around the contest. He seems to be setting himself up for a strong finish to the season.

Don't actually know where the Ed Allen talk is coming from other than he's West Aussie. He signed an two-year extension in his first year, said they had been great to him, his dad praised the club and said he was now a Pies supporter. It's the complete opposite situation to Busslinger, who hasn't signed on.

The Pies being interested in trading in players but have no 1st rounder this year is why.

And they are ruthless with list management decisions and make things happen.

Signing Zane Trew to a seven-year contract wouldn't make him more valuable to anyone. BWilliams isn't a star in demand, therefore his contracted status doesn't move the needle that much. He obviously has some value and there are some clubs that could benefit from him, but not to the point they would pay overs. I see his value in the 20s so if we want a first rounder from the teens, we have to chuck something in.
Don't know what the Trew comment has in relation to what I'm saying.

BW would have value, I'd dare say he'd even have several suitors.

Neither EA or RH have shown what they can really do at the top level yet.

As per my comment, if we have to pay even more than BW to land either player, we're not doing to right.

Yep just because he's a west Aussie. Someone threw it up as a trade scenario for shopping BWilliams around and plucked a west Aussie out

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I guarantee you if we put Bailey on the market, he’d have very little interest. He’s a horrific AFL player, some of you confuse trying hard with ability. He’s not a competitive number 1 ruck, he looks awful as a forward, his skills are below par, he can take a good grab every now and then but marking still isn’t something he does enough of.

A very late 2nd rounder is the most you’d get for him and that’s being incredibly optimistic, I doubt you’d even get that.

Why is North after another ruck?

They have Xerri as their starting ruck. Just drafted Bryn Teakle as a back up ruck in the MSD, and drafted a ruck in the first round of last years draft, 207cm Taylor Goad. And have a rookie ruck Hamish Free.
Cos Xerri is a clumsy giraffe and their recruiters had blindfolds on when the rest were picked up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guarantee you if we put Bailey on the market, he’d have very little interest. He’s a horrific AFL player, some of you confuse trying hard with ability. He’s not a competitive number 1 ruck, he looks awful as a forward, his skills are below par, he can take a good grab every now and then but marking still isn’t something he does enough of.

A very late 2nd rounder is the most you’d get for him and that’s being incredibly optimistic, I doubt you’d even get that.
Is a fwd/ruck hybrid and is pretty handy.
It's not a stretch to say he's better then Cox/ Kreuger who play for last year's premiers.

Luke Jackson is probably the best in the AFL at that dual role.
Rowan Marshall & Peter Wright, the others who are top tier.

The interesting thing is that most are better fwd than rucks and Williams is the other way around at the moment.

Williams is better than almost every other 2nd stringer in the comp. If he can add 10-20 goals a season and compete up fwd then its a great return.

Why is North after another ruck?

They have Xerri as their starting ruck. Just drafted Bryn Teakle as a back up ruck in the MSD, and drafted a ruck in the first round of last years draft, 207cm Taylor Goad. And have a rookie ruck Hamish Free.
Maybe after a FWD/Ruck? Not many teams play 2 straight up ruckman.

Don't know what the Trew comment has in relation to what I'm saying.

BW would have value, I'd dare say he'd even have several suitors.

Neither EA or RH have shown what they can really do at the top level yet.

As per my comment, if we have to pay even more than BW to land either player, we're not doing to right.
Was just a facetious remark in response to those arguing BWilliams being contracted makes him more valuable, apologies if that wasn't your intent. Being contracted absolutely adds value if clubs are falling over themselves to grab someone or if they fix a pressing need (Barrass, for example). But Williams would be a nice to have role player, so while there would be suitors, none of them are paying any more than market value or they will just move on and find another role player that would be nice to have.

While Allen and Hardeman haven't shown anything yet, they are teen picks who are obviously projected to be decent players. BW was a pick 35 who has lived up to his value but not really anything more. I'd take the younger player with the higher projected ceiling and find someone else for BW's role, even if it meant adding a little extra as while it is a gamble, the potential is higher.

Is a fwd/ruck hybrid and is pretty handy.
It's not a stretch to say he's better then Cox/ Kreuger who play for last year's premiers.

Luke Jackson is probably the best in the AFL at that dual role.
Rowan Marshall & Peter Wright, the others who are top tier.

The interesting thing is that most are better fwd than rucks and Williams is the other way around at the moment.

Williams is better than almost every other 2nd stringer in the comp. If he can add 10-20 goals a season and compete up fwd then its a great return.

Saying he’s a forward / ruck hybrid just because that’s what we’re trying to do with him, doesn’t make it true.

He looks awful up forward, his set shot kicking is very poor and he just flat out looks lost.

He’s probably one of if not the worst rucks getting games in the competition as well.

He’s not good at anything.

Saying he’s a forward / ruck hybrid just because that’s what we’re trying to do with him, doesn’t make it true.

He looks awful up forward, his set shot kicking is very poor and he just flat out looks lost.

He’s probably one of if not the worst rucks getting games in the competition as well.

Likewise just saying hes not good at anything doesnt make that true.

Reality is he somewhere in between these two radical takes. The idea any club would give up significant value for him is as deluded as saying he is useless.

He’s probably one of the best second rucks in the comp, and would make every side bar Freo.

IMG_3251.jpeg

Back