List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 36 27.9%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 17 13.2%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 39 30.2%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Bailey is at least a known quantity, those rucks who went for pick 50+ were not best 22, and werent required players. At the current time BW is in our best 22 and as such would be a required player, as well as being contracted.
Chol wasnt getting regular games, he was clearly not a required player, and GC needed list spots/points for all their academy kids. I dont think GC necessarily wanted him. Id expect BW would fetch a higher price than Chol simply because of this.
Yes BW may not be a better fwd than Chol, but he is a far better ruck, is a couple years younger, and clubs like North dont really have the option to try to underpay for players, they dont get many who voluntarily go to North.
Pies if they want to try for another premiership with the current squad need top up players urgently, otherwise its back to the draft. By now they mustve realised their current players in the 2s arent much chop.
Any other club who might want him would have to bid against these two who are probably top of the queue, so even better for us

That being said we havent seen BW really have a solid go at being a fwd yet, he might get the hang of it in the next month or so
Why is North after another ruck?

They have Xerri as their starting ruck. Just drafted Bryn Teakle as a back up ruck in the MSD, and drafted a ruck in the first round of last years draft, 207cm Taylor Goad. And have a rookie ruck Hamish Free.

Wanting to use a top 3 pick on a player who you believe will have the biggest immediate impact, instead of the most talented/highest upside player is silly.

Could end up with a Rhys Palmer type over a Dangerfield, a Daniel Rich instead of NN, Lewis Taylor instead of a Cripps or an Andy McGrath instead of a Shai Bolton

The mid we draft needs to be the rising star winner or be the best mid in year 1.

We need talent that can switch on immediately or we will be on a basket case void.

That rules high ceiling projection players or later pick mids. The players whom will have the best first year are likely FOS or Draper.

We can't afford to have a ginbey/Hewitt type that take time to develop. We need the best first year player.

So like a Rhys Palmer or Lewis Taylor type you reckon?

LIam Baker doing Liam Baker things again on the weekend. Please for the love of god no....
View attachment 2022212

View attachment 2022213

Champion Data had him as the worst player on the ground against Hawthorn:

1718592457970.png

However, prior to that, he'd average 14.41 PR over the previous 8 games:

1718592577391.png

That block of form would see him second only to Yeo if he were at the Eagles.

Include the Hawthorn game and round 1 and Liam would be 6th highest rated player at the Eagles for the 1st half of 2024.

Currently 4th best at Richmond and the 13th best 26 year old in the AFL.

I am happy to trade for Liam, but the price has to be right. F2 only if the 'Jedd Busslinger doesn't like flying and therefore doesn't want to return to Perth' rumours are true. I would much prefer to trade F2 for Jedd.

They have Xerri as their starting ruck. Just drafted Bryn Teakle as a back up ruck in the MSD, and drafted a ruck in the first round of last years draft, 207cm Taylor Goad. And have a rookie ruck Hamish Free.
Free will be delisted at the end of the year. From what I have heard, the club is dissapointed at his lack of prgoress.

Teakle has been bought in as a Mid-Season rookie - after spending time at Port Adelaide before being delisted. I hardly think they are predicting he becomes a certain best 22 player. More some quality depth.

Goad is a long term prospect who realistically, like Barnett for us is 2-3 years off being AFL level.

Williams would certainly be ahead of Teakle as Best 22 and fills a need for them.

I would have thought that if BW was to ask for a trade to another club it would be because that club has guaranteed him a regular game as a forward. He doesn't want to play ruck. That seems pretty clear. And given how unproven he is as a key forward i think other clubs would not want to be giving up too much draft capital to get him in order to play him as a forward.

I’m half being a smart arse but maybe they see Bailey Williams as a forward ruck that can help Larkey as another tall target whilst being capable of giving Xerri a chop out in the ruck

Whether any clubs are interested in him I have no idea but if there is interest we at least have him under contract which would help in any negotiations.

Best I think we could realistically get is a late R2. To get someone like ED Allan (unlikely) or Hardeman we’d need to be adding something else in

Not how the 1st round and draft works. No guarantees.

This years draft does not hold a player like Harley. It doesn't.

So, we won't be getting a sugar hit like we have this year.

Only way to instantly improve us next season is trading in role players and free agents to improve our depth. Or use our 1st rounder to trade in a gun, which many say we shouldn't do.

A trade of a Barrass might get us a ready made mid but not likely a top line rising star.

Bulldog ITK poster seem to think the club has a plan to fix the KP defense issue, sounds like a Barrass type coming in there.
Pretty sure they want to put naughton back and have JUH croft forward then rotate Darcy and English forward / ruck .

Wonder if dogs would be interested in Petrecelle.

Champion Data had him as the worst player on the ground against Hawthorn:

View attachment 2022307

However, prior to that, he'd average 14.41 PR over the previous 8 games:

View attachment 2022309

That block of form would see him second only to Yeo if he were at the Eagles.

Include the Hawthorn game and round 1 and Liam would be 6th highest rated player at the Eagles for the 1st half of 2024.

Currently 4th best at Richmond and the 13th best 26 year old in the AFL.

I am happy to trade for Liam, but the price has to be right. F2 only if the 'Jedd Busslinger doesn't like flying and therefore doesn't want to return to Perth' rumours are true. I would much prefer to trade F2 for Jedd.
I see you make sure to grab the 27.2 ranking in his third game that is a massive outlier.

The issue is that in 5 of his 11 games he's had a ranking of 10.0 or lower for an average of 5.52. That's diabolical, his other 6 games have an average of 16.75 which is good, but don't want that level of inconsistency from a senior player (what he'd be expected to be given what we'd pay him).

Last edited:
So Chesser is ranked higher than Hough?

Ok. :drunk: :$
Yes, according to Champion Data.

I touched on why Hough's rating potentially isn't as high as last year in this post:
post https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...iscussions-2024-edition.1375417/post-83984137

We can deep dive into the negatives or choose to be happy about it, as both are rated higher than:
  • Josh Ward (pick 7)
  • Jye Amiss (pick 8)
  • Neil Erasmus (pick 10)
  • Josh Sinn (pick 12)
  • Josh Goater (pick 22)
  • Sam Butler (pick 23)
  • Mitch Knevitt (pick 25)

And the five players inbetween Chesser and Hough are:
  • Jack Wiliams (pick 57)
  • Ben Hobbs (pick 13)
  • Blake Howes (pick 39)
  • Tyler Sonsie (pick 28)
  • Matthew Johnson (pick 21)
This is not their final rating that they must live by for the rest of their careers, this is just their form for the first half of the year, however they are heading in the right direction.

If anyone is wondering how our first half of the seasons 'player ratings' stack up in each age bracket, that is below.

Of the 615 players that have played this season, 38 of them are Eagles.

Below is where they rank in their age brackets:

32 Years (25 players): Gov (3rd overall), Cripps (9th), Darling (20th), Gaff (21st)

31 Years (32 players): Yeo (2nd)

30 Years (26 players): Kelly (3rd)

29 years (39 players): Barrass (12th), Hunt (23rd), Sheed (35th)

28 Years (39 players): Duggan (15th), Ryan (25th)

27 Years (45 players): Flynn (23rd), Cole (33rd)

26 Years (59 players): Waterman (6th), Witherdan (27th), Rotham (58th), Jones (59th)

25 Years (47 players): Petruccelle (39th) , Allen (47th)

24 Years (49 players): B.Williams (15th), H.Edwards (23rd), Jamieson (44th)

23 Years (52 players): Hutchinson (34th)

22 Years (54 players): Brockman (32nd), L.Edwards (43rd), Trew (50th)

21 Years (54 players): Chesser (28th), J.Williams (29th), Hough (34th), Culley (49th)

20 Years (34 players): Ginbey (4th), Maric (18th), Long (19th), Dewar (29th), Barnett (33rd)

19 Years (30 players): Reid (1st), Johnston (27th), Rawlinson (30th)

Not breaking news but confirms the thoughts that a handful of older players and a handful of younger players are holding this team together.

Only 2 players (B.Willaims & Waterman) in the top 15 players between 21 years of age & 27 years of age. Allen would usually be amongst that group if it wasn't for injury.

* There are players above 32, however no Eagles, so I haven't included that.
Chesser ranked higher than hough?

Get the F#@k out of here

Chesser ranked higher than Johnson

downloadfile.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeo was never leaving. All the scuttlebutt has been total BS that only the Vic media really bought into because they don’t know anything about the situation.

Drip fed info by Colin Young to drive Yeo’s contract up a bit.

Colin Young has based himself in Victoria now as well I think I heard earlier this year which might help explain that

Yeo was never leaving. All the scuttlebutt has been total BS that only the Vic media really bought into because they don’t know anything about the situation.

Drip fed info by Colin Young to drive Yeo’s contract up a bit.
Colin Young has based himself in Victoria now as well I think I heard earlier this year which might help explain that

Lol Yeo isn’t even managed by Colin Young. Jason Dover from TLA is Yeo’s manager.

The closest comparison for bbw would be the lobb to WB deal back in 2022. Lobb had more fwd nous, but Bailey has better ruck attributes putting them at parity plus bailey isnt a shit bloke. Freo received pic 30 (which turned into 33) and WB 2023 F2 (which was 37)

If lobb and English both leave WB, Bailey for busslinger is reasonable.

Richmond- Bailey for Baker is fair considering age and kpf value

Collingwood- Allen + f3

North- harderman + f3

Playing predominantly forward, Gerreyn showed how dangerous he can be as a threat in the air and on the ground. At 199cm he's still capable of swooping on loose balls to create scoring opportunities for himself or his teammates with lovely skills by hand or on either foot.

sounds a prospect

Best I think we could realistically get is a late R2. To get someone like ED Allan (unlikely) or Hardeman we’d need to be adding something else in
Which I would do if we think a young first rounder has the potential to be a significant part of our next premiership push. BWilliams has been a good soldier, but I see him as a role player that can be replaced (up forward by JWilliams, in the ruck, by anyone really).

I still think if we're paying extra on top of BW to land either E Allen or Riley H, we're not doing it right.

Pricing/contracts/negotiation is what I do for a living. Maybe my blue and gold glasses are on. 🤔
Signing Zane Trew to a seven-year contract wouldn't make him more valuable to anyone. BWilliams isn't a star in demand, therefore his contracted status doesn't move the needle that much. He obviously has some value and there are some clubs that could benefit from him, but not to the point they would pay overs. I see his value in the 20s so if we want a first rounder from the teens, we have to chuck something in.

Free will be delisted at the end of the year. From what I have heard, the club is dissapointed at his lack of prgoress.

Teakle has been bought in as a Mid-Season rookie - after spending time at Port Adelaide before being delisted. I hardly think they are predicting he becomes a certain best 22 player. More some quality depth.

Goad is a long term prospect who realistically, like Barnett for us is 2-3 years off being AFL level.

Williams would certainly be ahead of Teakle as Best 22 and fills a need for them.

Teakle nominated 18 month terms, I wouldn't have thought we'd be chasing a ruck like Bailey Williams, a ruck/forward maybe.

CCJ is contracted to next year and will be back from a list management perspective.

I think Teakle replaces Free essentially, with CCJ resuming his list spot from the LTI next year.

I've certainly never heard Williams name come up at North events.

Back