List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, thank Barrass for his fine service and send him to a contender. Everyone wins.

Have heard some at WC say 'oh we need experience to teach the young guys'.....how's that going?

Get some quality player's who will be here to help us contend down the line
I would argue the current "experience" on our list is detrimental to the young guys.

Any chance we could recruit the best & toughest mature aged midfielder in the WAFL/VFL and play them as an enforcer/tagger and onfield leader?

And not shunt them on a flank or wing like we did G Clark…

A team first campaigner to protect the Reid and Kelly types.

Or are the days of these kind of players over?
Greg Clark, but Simmo stashed him on the wing.

Jagga Smith's full highlights from an excellent Champs run in which he must have finished a very close second to Murphy Reid for Metro MVP. Jagga entered the 2024 season already highly regarded and has only solidified his sterling reputation to the point that he's now firmly in the pick 1 conversation.

Ok. I see what you are saying. But, to bring someone in of equivalent skill/impact you need to send something out of equivalent value as to what you got for the player you sent out (barrass), unless you are thinking we can pick enough up as free agents/cheap?

Otherwise you're just sending out good players and replacing them with worse players which doesnt help at all.

Sell high

Use the top 10 pick on quality kids

Use free agency or DFAs to provide mature support.

Jagga Smith's full highlights from an excellent Champs run in which he must have finished a very close second to Murphy Reid for Metro MVP. Jagga entered the 2024 season already highly regarded and has only solidified his sterling reputation to the point that he's now firmly in the pick 1 conversation.

Impressive, love his composure in tight.

Schofield (Will) reckons Barrass is going to go. Essentially saying he'd love to stay but if WC don't renegotiate the contract then they want him gone. It's a bit of backward logic for mine, but he is mates with him so would know what's happening behind the scenes.

Also mentions how he doesn't think overpaying for a ruckman is a smart idea

Schofield (Will) reckons Barrass is going to go. Essentially saying he'd love to stay but if WC don't renegotiate the contract then they want him gone. It's a bit of backward logic for mine, but he is mates with him so would know what's happening behind the scenes.

Also mentions how he doesn't think overpaying for a ruckman is a smart idea
Over paying salary wise? We would have so much cap space on 2025 and 2026 that we can front end a lot of it and English would be on a normal ruck wage towards the back half of his contract. Plus it’s been said our offer is also reduced to what we originally offered money wise.

Weird logic from the Schofield and TB camp not to renegotiate his contract. By him wanting to renegotiate a deal with 3 years left, does that mean he really doesn’t want to be here? Works both ways with that much time left.

I don't think he meant trade everyone out all at once, he just meant none of them should be off limits or priced out of a trade if there's interest.

That said, Gov, Cripps, Darling, Hunt, Yeo, and Kelly wouldn't be tradeable because of age, recently signed contracts or non-negotiable desire to stay in WA coupled with a rumoured hatred of all things Freo.
Flynn has no currency and with his injury history I would say no interest. Witherden would have no currency either.

Which leaves Duggan, Cole, Barrass, Ryan & Waterman.
All are tradeable but not all at once. I’d suggest Barrass, Ryan or Waterman and Cole would be the best combination of benefit to replaceability.

Over paying salary wise? We would have so much cap space on 2025 and 2026 that we can front end a lot of it and English would be on a normal ruck wage towards the back half of his contract. Plus it’s been said our offer is also reduced to what we originally offered money wise.

Weird logic from the Schofield and TB camp not to renegotiate his contract. By him wanting to renegotiate a deal with 3 years left, does that mean he really doesn’t want to be here? Works both ways with that much time left.
Think he is saying that TB wants to renegotiate - is underpaid currently and probably wants more security than the current 3 years. If Eagles don't or aren't keen to renegotiate than they are essentially saying they would rather the picks he will generate than keep him.

Think he is saying that TB wants to renegotiate - is underpaid currently and probably wants more security than the current 3 years. If Eagles don't or aren't keen to renegotiate than they are essentially saying they would rather the picks he will generate than keep him.
Yeah I get that’s but with 3 years left on his deal and him wanting to renegotiate, you could do the same and suggests he’s doing that to get out of a deal or force a trade.

Don’t hear of Sheed or Gaff giving back any of their money that they go while being over paid and under preforming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I get that’s but with 3 years left on his deal and him wanting to renegotiate, you could do the same and suggests he’s doing that to get out of a deal or force a trade.

Don’t hear of Sheed or Gaff giving back any of their money that they go while being over paid and under preforming.
I think he signed for less during COVID and there was a gentlemen's agreement that it would be revisited once everything settled down (pretty sure I got that off Backchat).

Something that I don't think has been mentioned should we trade Barrass, The Judd Father/Son situation
  1. Tommy is traded to Melbourne
  2. Plays 100+ games for the dogs/hawks/pies
  3. Stays in Melbourne at end of footy career due to career opportunities and happiness of staying in Melbourne/kids established at school
  4. Billy and Benson essentially grow up Victorians
  5. Billy and Benson are both good enough (or great) juniors to be picked up in the draft.
  6. Both choose the Victorian club their father played for as friends/family are all in Victoria
Note:
Looks like Oscar Judd has some talent as a cricketer (in the Vic Pathways programs) rather then a footy player so may not have to choose.
The twins are playing footy, unsure of their talent level

Note: I realise Tom's kids could have no interest in footy, and/or talent, but a backline of Hudson McGovern, Billy and Benson Barrass, along with Ollie Shuey, Max and Leo Darling, Nash Schofield, Tex Masten, Rex and Billy LeCras, Reif and Lance Cripps would be nice to have if they all have the talent to make it!

Something that I don't think has been mentioned should we trade Barrass, The Judd Father/Son situation
  1. Tommy is traded to Melbourne
  2. Plays 100+ games for the dogs/hawks/pies
  3. Stays in Melbourne at end of footy career due to career opportunities and happiness of staying in Melbourne/kids established at school
  4. Billy and Benson essentially grow up Victorians
  5. Billy and Benson are both good enough (or great) juniors to be picked up in the draft.
  6. Both choose the Victorian club their father played for as friends/family are all in Victoria
Note:
Looks like Oscar Judd has some talent as a cricketer (in the Vic Pathways programs) rather then a footy player so may not have to choose.
The twins are playing footy, unsure of their talent level

Note: I realise Tom's kids could have no interest in footy, and/or talent, but a backline of Hudson McGovern, Billy and Benson Barrass, along with Ollie Shuey, Max and Leo Darling, Nash Schofield, Tex Masten, Rex and Billy LeCras, Reif and Lance Cripps would be nice to have if they all have the talent to make it!
I don't think we should be considering trade/draft decisions on father son prospects approximately 15 years away from being draft eligible - not even a factor imo.

I want to keep Barrass and would have no issues with renegotiating his wage for his current deal.

But we shouldn’t be be adding any more years to it - if he can get that elsewhere then he’d be silly not to take it.
Why? So he attends the 2018 premiership reunion? So he doesn't go on hate tour of wce once he completes his contract?

What have we got to lose other then Barras sooking once his career of over

I think he signed for less during COVID and there was a gentlemen's agreement that it would be revisited once everything settled down (pretty sure I got that off Backchat).
So what? It's time to be ruthless. It's not like we are screwing Ben cousins pay.

Most rebuilds (3 years at the bottom) have 50% of the list in place already.

As of 2021 we literally had O Allen, Waterman, Duggan as those who we could bank on being around in 2027- 2028 when we hit finals again.

We were so far back with pure number of actual playable footballers.

Burgiel went a little higher than he should have. Mainly because of xxxtra pace.

Barnett around the mark with a few other clubs hoping to trade up and grab him.

If we bust on some decent picks that's just the game. However when we try to pull something out of our ass, or just make straight up bad choices and it inevitably fails then that can't be excused.
Regardless whether they’ve been picked in their range, if you keep picking the wrong ones in a given range then you’re doing a bad job

Yeah the money is a little different the extra 2 years seems to be the biggest part of the renegotiation. Same as English with joining the Eagles/Dogs wants the 6 years not 5.

Why? So he attends the 2018 premiership reunion? So he doesn't go on hate tour of wce once he completes his contract?

What have we got to lose other then Barras sooking once his career of over

So what? It's time to be ruthless. It's not like we are screwing Ben cousins pay.
Be ruthless on the contract length but if there’s money in the kitty and they want to keep him, pay him and keep him happy. He is definitely performing at a level that deserves decent payment.

I don't think we should be considering trade/draft decisions on father son prospects approximately 15 years away from being draft eligible - not even a factor imo.
tongue in cheek. no decisions should be based on the remote possibility a son might make it in AFL.
For my two cents, if the right deal (two firsts) can be struck, making the decision to move Tommy on is the right move, even if we pick the wrong kids in the draft. its the logical decision for mine

Can we do something left field with our cap room and do the reverse of the norm?

Instead of trading a player and paying half their salary, can we goto Sydney and say re-negoiate Chad Warner's contract now, and we'll pay $600 - $800 of it for 2025 & 2026 on the condition you trade him at close to "market" rate to us after 2026?

Sydney get to contend for another 2 years, and we are essentially buying a draft pick?

Ok, but what free agents or DFA's are we getting that are to the level of someone like Tom Barrass? Not counting Tim English.

TB goes H Edwards gets his shot.

Bazzo gets more games development.

If we trade with Hawthorn DGB is the steak knives.

Remember we are building for the future not 2025. It may take 2 or 3 years to find a fullback at the same level. In the short term we use a top 10 pick to land Travagalia or another quality mid.

Remember TB is 29. He won't be here when we contend again.

Another example is we can let Rotham go as a UFA and replace him with Ruscoe. Nothing lost there and we land a mature age replacement to support the kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back