List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
I swap between yes and no. But would come with conditions like who else we have lined up. (Sheldrick, Garcia ect) also we get a decent picks for TB in a trade. 12* 27*. Would be very open to trading Flyin too and have 4 picks 30 or bundle up for Brissys pick.

I see it as the Rankine trade to the Crows for pick 5. Rankine was younger but also didn’t have the runs on the board like Bolton. If the Crows didn’t have Rankine they would be stuffed.

He’s perfect at the feet of Waterman, Allen and JWill and pinch hit in the middle ti let Reid go forward. Ideally we can bring in a Sheldrick though as well.
Bolton is a very good midfielder but as Richmond has had not one forward available Bolton has been put up front. He was our best onballer prior and is an absolute gun. Looks like we’ve lost him but all the talk has been FREO.

What if... Hawks chase Trac and offload their value for him and then come to us crying poor after Barrass has declared his intention to move?

Assume we pull a Geelong at that point and just retain him?

If Hawthorn aren't able to play ball, we negotiate with Bulldogs, Carlton and Sydney among others.

There are plenty of suitors for Barrass and the bidding war works in our favour.

Barrass is able to get us some seriously genuine good draft capital, he wont be in our next flag and he is 1 semi bad landing on his back from retirement... this is a no brainer
Good draft capital as long as we don’t do our usual bend over trick and cave in to a weak deal.

Last edited:
I'm happy to see TB go but am scratching my head trying to figure out how we're going to hit the 95% salary cap minimum.

We're going to lose TB's contract and Gaff's (at leas $900k but it may have been back-ended and be up to $1.1M). That's probably around $1.5M at least freed up. Then we have the salary cap increase to factor in as well.

I think Kelly’s deal was quite heavily backended so his final year will be taking up a bit

Waterman and Allen both have contracts expiring 2025 which are likely to be renegotiated in the coming weeks/months. They can be front loaded

Ditto Hough’s contract to a lesser extent

Other contracts like Yeo and Duggan can also be front loaded

I can see us retiring Sheed and paying out his contract

But getting to 95% still looks a challenge especially with so many unproven youngsters on our list along with veterans past their prime

Hopefully we pay some of TB’s salary to get an even sweeter deal.

We could also do this

Might be helpful to Hawthorn if Battle takes up their offer

Bolton is a very good midfielder but as Richmond has had not one forward available Bolton has been put up front. He was our best onballer prior and is an absolute gun. Looks like we’ve lost him but all the talk has been FREO.

Bolton is a better fit at Fremantle than he is at West Coast. They also have a better group of draft picks to get a deal done

If he leaves Richmond, it’ll be to Fremantle

I'm happy to see TB go but am scratching my head trying to figure out how we're going to hit the 95% salary cap minimum.

We're going to lose TB's contract and Gaff's (at leas $900k but it may have been back-ended and be up to $1.1M). That's probably around $1.5M at least freed up. Then we have the salary cap increase to factor in as well.
While we are terrible, it’s not like we don’t have players we want to keep long term.

Hough is working on an extension - front load the hell out of it. Throw more cash at Reid. Move some money around on Yeo’s newly minted deal (perhaps it was structured with the 2025 floor in mind). Waterman has a new deal to come. What’s Ginbey worth after another half a season off the HBF looking like a stud?

Push comes to shove, you make it really worth Hawthorn’s while and pay heaps of TB’s salary for the first year or two. Is that worth a chucked in pick or two?

The salary floor is far too high in general, I think teams (take North) with pure state league talent and some high level kids shouldn’t be forced to overpay their cannon fodder and should instead have an enormous amount of spare cash to chase FAs, but for our list as it is I really don’t think we’ll struggle to hit it.

Edit: Exactly what Keys already said, a master at work that man.

But getting to 95% still looks a challenge especially with so many unproven youngsters on our list along with veterans past their prime

So with English likely to now stay at the dogs, who is available via RFA/UFA next year?

I also think this is the best time to throw an extra 100k/200k at the Sheldrick types, and if we really want half a millie at Warner in 2025.

So with English likely to now stay at the dogs, who is available via RFA/UFA next year?

I also think this is the best time to throw an extra 100k/200k at the Sheldrick types, and if we really want half a millie at Warner in 2025.
2025 RFA
Tom De Koning
Andrew Brayshaw
Luke Davies-Uniacke
Cam Rayner
James Worpel
Oscar Allen
Ed Richards
Charlie Ballard
Noah Balta

That’s according to Fox Footy, as of 31 July. Would love to get Ballard in the door somehow.

Footywire has a few more names added, but their contract stuff is hit and miss. I think they just apply the 8+ years of service criteria, not the top 25% of salary part. E.g Petch and Waterman (contract signed 2023 in a hospital bed) would be nowhere near our top 25% of earners.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the Hawks board they’re talking about a mid teens pick and DGB back for Barrass??
Contracted vice captain who was our second most recent B+F winner? Five year deal on the table in front of him?

Ultimately they’re doing us a favour, take him of our plate please Hawthorn, shouldn’t even really have to give up the pick in the first place.

Spare me.

On the Hawks board they’re talking about a mid teens pick and DGB back for Barrass??

They tried to offload DGB last year as part of the trade for pick 1

He has zero value and is likely to be delisted

Anyway we can get trac without selling our draft hand?

Trac is really a leader we need to Sheppard the youth with training standards and such. He brings good culture.

Make it happen bigfooty.

How about

Oscar Allen/Jake Waterman + TB + Salary cap relief for Clayton

For

Trac?
This would have to be the dumbest trade suggestion in a long time.

Contracted vice captain who was our second most recent B+F winner? Five year deal on the table in front of him?

Ultimately they’re doing us a favour, take him of our plate please Hawthorn, shouldn’t even really have to give up the pick in the first place.

Spare me.

They tried to offload DGB last year as part of the trade for pick 1

He has zero value and is likely to be delisted
Thanks for the insight lads

Thanks for the insight lads
Decided to have a quick peruse of their thread on the back of this tip, and found a gem about them being a very reasonable club who have never been too hard to deal with.

Must have dreamed them trying to get Pick 1 (that’s Harley Reid for those playing at home) involved in a deal for Tyler Brockman last year.

Decided to have a quick peruse of their thread on the back of this tip, and found a gem about them being a very reasonable club who have never been too hard to deal with.

Must have dreamed them trying to get Pick 1 (that’s Harley Reid for those playing at home) involved in a deal for Tyler Brockman last year.
I can see Hawthorne inishing 6th, pushing the pick out even further.

Time for the club to play hard ball and tell TB, if he wants to go to Victoria, we'll be accepting the best off we can get.

If it's not Hawthorn, that's tough.

Anyway we can get trac without selling our draft hand?

Trac is really a leader we need to Sheppard the youth with training standards and such. He brings good culture.

Make it happen bigfooty.

How about

Oscar Allen/Jake Waterman + Salary cap relief for Clayton

For

Trac?
Please make sure you're sober before posting.

I can see Hawthorne inishing 6th, pushing the pick out even further.

Time for the club to play hard ball and tell TB, if he wants to go to Victoria, we'll be accepting the best off we can get.

If it's not Hawthorn, that's tough.

i can see Hawks getting to a prelim but a lot will depend on the draw

Ideally they'd get a Bris, Freo, GWS, away in first week of finals

In my defence how could anyone have predicted Clayton Oliver sober is unfit and skinny. In saying that a fit clayton Oliver would have served us well.

As for Oscar Allen trade that was if we had to trade one of Oscar/Jake.

And as for Dev well before bringing it up like you owned me wait until he puts on the wce jumper first and plays.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back