List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 36 27.1%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 17 12.8%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
It’s concerning that what you’ve written is something I can see the WCE list team doing but f**k me if we trade either of our 1Rs as part of a Baker deal I’ll be calling for the reinstatement of ROB.

Our F1 should be either used in a Chad Warner trade next year, or if he’s set on Freo then traded with Freo for multiple picks in the first round this year where we’ll have leverage knowing that our F1 is the key to them getting Warner next year. Something like 11, 14, 15 for F1 and 23. Obviously this should be done after the Baker trade.

The other possible player that might be of interest to other teams would be Jack Hutchinson. Collingwood were so keen on him that they shut him down after 3 games so would they value him as a 2R had he been in the national draft?

Can see Hutchinson ending up at Saint Kilda for a Collard trade in coming years.

Similar types / positions. Hutch is a bit taller and can take a big mark. Collard more the leading crafty forward like Le cras.

Can see Hutchinson ending up at Saint Kilda for a Collard trade in coming years.

Similar types / positions. Hutch is a bit taller and can take a big mark. Collard more the leading crafty forward like Le cras.

That’s a bit random.

You are so scared about go home factor, that you want to trade players away before they even themselves realise they want to go home?

That’s a bit random.

You are so scared about go home factor, that you want to trade players away before they even themselves realise they want to go home?

Scared? Why on earth would I be scared? Have no skin in the game at all emotionally.

Just seeing a request from Collard to be traded back home being pretty likely. Those are the murmurings coming from Saint Kilda, he hasn't settled and isn't really performing as they would like.

And if that request comes how we accommodate that if he nominates us.

Hutch is likely living the dream and is just happy to be on an AFL list.

O'Farrell was on crutches post match on the weekend, feeling was he'd miss a bit of footy. So likely no more champs and school footy for him, and if he gets back would have 4-6 weeks at Calder to try show his quality. But I'm predicting a slider, unless he does get back and dominate.

Would love a 3rd rounder this draft.
Saw the limping but not aware of the seriousness. He and Mraz were both mid 1R discussions and both would be great pickups if they slid to late 20s+, although Mraz injury is very significant and due diligence would be needed.

You should go one step further and start coming up with hypothetical trades for players who haven’t been drafted yet.

Antonio Banderas Tiff GIF by IMDb

Will leave that for you go first. :think: :rolleyes:

Being your idea and all.

A few comments on the Richmond board suggesting Steely Green’s de-list material. The general theme of the coach’s reviews of his VFL games is that they’re happy with his team first ethic but want to see him having more influence on VFL games. Doesn’t inspire confidence if we’re chasing this guy.

Seems an odd player to be chasing. He’s more like someone that lands at a club as a DFA or a train on player.

Can only assume Matthew Clarke sees something in him given he was at Richmond when they drafted Green

Taken pick 55 in the 2022 draft, three picks before we drafted Noah Long so they got that wrong

Don’t really see him as providing anything over and above a player we’d need to delist to make space for him. And among a plethora of other options I’d rather add Ruscoe or re-rookie Winder before picking up Green

Seems an odd player to be chasing. He’s more like someone that lands at a club as a DFA or a train on player.

Can only assume Matthew Clarke sees something in him given he was at Richmond when they drafted Green

Taken pick 55 in the 2022 draft, three picks before we drafted Noah Long so they got that wrong

Don’t really see him as providing anything over and above a player we’d need to delist to make space for him. And among a plethora of other options I’d rather add Ruscoe or re-rookie Winder before picking up Green
Hopefully it’s not a case of being aggressive for the sake of being aggressive as per Pykes comments on our list strategy.

More than likely that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scared? Why on earth would I be scared? Have no skin in the game at all emotionally.

Just seeing a request from Collard to be traded back home being pretty likely. Those are the murmurings coming from Saint Kilda, he hasn't settled and isn't really performing as they would like.

And if that request comes how we accommodate that if he nominates us.

Hutch is likely living the dream and is just happy to be on an AFL list.

Oh you are not scared but at first opportunity throw a Victorian back east, for a west Australian, irrespective of whether he is any good.

So yes, you are scared. Not frightened maybe, but scared.

Nice back-pedalling on hutch living his dream. Happy to let him have his dream over at st kilda hey?

Oh you are not scared but at first opportunity throw a Victorian back east, for a west Australian, irrespective of whether he is any good.

So yes, you are scared. Not frightened maybe, but scared.

Nice back-pedalling on hutch living his dream. Happy to let him have his dream over at st kilda hey?

Im scared of a mid season draftee being traded for Collard? Like really? Get a grip.

Talk about being so far off the mark mate.

Seriously strange post GB.

I've just discovered the wheelo site - thanks to Hoskin300 - nice way to visualise the team list by position, amongst other things.

For example, the scatter plot of rating points (filtered for last 20 games) across ages, and you can highlight positions, names revealed with mouse hover on the website.

Midfielders... Reid, Ginbey, Chesser, and on the other end Sheed, Hunt, Yeo, Kelly, Gaff:

1719549323316.png

Baker would fill a hole. Surely Gaff's last season.

We've got a lot listed as Medium Forward... Brockman, Petrucelle, Ryan, Maric, Hutchison, Long, Cripps, Dewar, Trew, Rawlinson:

1719549834338.png

Good tactic to keep trying them through the midfield like last week.

Same for Johnstone, Hewett, Culley and L Edwards listed as Mid Forward:

1719550392405.png

Key Position Defenders... Bazzo, Jamieson, Edwards, Barrass, McGovern:

1719549462714.png

With Gov closing in on the cliff, Barrass critical to take his spot as chief interceptor, and hope Jamo or Harry can step up as lockdown.

Key Forwards... J Williams, Allen, Waterman, Darling:

1719549621903.png

Darling close to the cliff, J Williams in the ready.

Medium Defenders... Hough, Witherden, Rotham, Cole, Duggan:

1719549694606.png

Youth gap here. Can any mentioned above as mid / med forwards be tried here?

Finally, the Rucks... Barnett, B Williams, Flynn:

1719550979000.png

Didn't mean to be a long post, but it ended up that way!

Forget the AFL gifting us a PP as it isn’t going to happen

Now sorting through what you’ve posted

Out: F1, R2, later pick (F4)

In: Baker, Busslinger, Green, Pick 9 (Lalor/Travaglia)

Ignore Green for a F4, that’s neither here or there but -

Drafting O’Sullivan (if he’s there at our first pick) plus say Travaglia, Baker and Busslinger as a return from our first 2 picks this year and our F1 doesn’t seem a horrible outcome

Not necessarily what I’d do and maybe not quite optimal but not is it catastrophic
Agree, I dont think it’s horrible just not what Id think is optimal. If it happens it would still absolutely improve our team as you’d hope when the currency you’re using is two top 5 picks and change. Was postulating moreso on what I think could happen rather than want, based on if the contract offer to baker is true.

I’ll take the hot toddie on my dreams of a draft assistance in my stride, you’re right that it’s highly unlikely to happen, just frustrating to have to take our second at 25+ continuously, just heinous levels of complex bs from Kane and co.

I think if we end up with champion we won't go for collard. No need for more of the same.

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I've just discovered the wheelo site - thanks to Hoskin300 - nice way to visualise the team list by position, amongst other things.

For example, the scatter plot of rating points (filtered for last 20 games) across ages, and you can highlight positions, names revealed with mouse hover on the website.

Midfielders... Reid, Ginbey, Chesser, and on the other end Sheed, Hunt, Yeo, Kelly, Gaff:

View attachment 2032529

Baker would fill a hole. Surely Gaff's last season.

We've got a lot listed as Medium Forward... Brockman, Petrucelle, Ryan, Maric, Hutchison, Long, Cripps, Dewar, Trew, Rawlinson:

View attachment 2032543

Good tactic to keep trying them through the midfield like last week.

Same for Johnstone, Hewett, Culley and L Edwards listed as Mid Forward:

View attachment 2032549

Key Position Defenders... Bazzo, Jamieson, Edwards, Barrass, McGovern:

View attachment 2032532

With Gov closing in on the cliff, Barrass critical to take his spot as chief interceptor, and hope Jamo or Harry can step up as lockdown.

Key Forwards... J Williams, Allen, Waterman, Darling:

View attachment 2032536

Darling close to the cliff, J Williams in the ready.

Medium Defenders... Hough, Witherden, Rotham, Cole, Duggan:

View attachment 2032539

Youth gap here. Can any mentioned above as mid / med forwards be tried here?

Finally, the Rucks... Barnett, B Williams, Flynn:

View attachment 2032558

Didn't mean to be a long post, but it ended up that way!
Nice. Where did you find this?

Did you think the same about Warner after his first couple of seasons? From memory, they weren't much chop
And I still don't rate him that highly despite all the gushing.

So far hes put together half a good season when his team has been on top of the ladder.

100% do not want to pay the price for someone whose peak is in the review mirror.

If TB wants a 5 years secured contract and a pay rise then that may need to be at the Dogs or elsewhere.

Tough call for all parties involved.

If it landed us Busslinger plus a Traveglia that isnt a bad outcome.
The idea of improving our list is to add to our list without losing quality players .

We are not GWS or GC and be overflowing with talent that you can pick and choose who stays and goes .

Barrass needs to do what McGovern, yeo , cripps , shuey , hurn all did and see out his contract at 31 then be worth another one .

I'm not against splitting our pick to get another first rounder for the draft .

I am against splitting our pick or trading barrass to get assets for Baker.

He is not worth it .

And I still don't rate him that highly despite all the gushing.

So far hes put together half a good season when his team has been on top of the ladder.

100% do not want to pay the price for someone whose peak is in the review mirror.
You rate players in very strange ways, I've noticed...

Bloke hasn't put together 'half' a decent season, he's been one of the best in the comp since 2022.

Back