List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly think WCE may push him to leave to the Bulldogs
Just makes sense he will help a club like Bulldogs to push for the premiership
We get a young back to cover and another top ten pick

If TB wants a 5 years secured contract and a pay rise then that may need to be at the Dogs or elsewhere.

Tough call for all parties involved.

If it landed us Busslinger plus a Traveglia that isnt a bad outcome.

Richmond are not dressing Baker up and putting him the shop window so they can sell him for pick 40 or something like that. They think they can get a top 20 pick for him. They are probably thinking somewhere between pick 12 and 20 is what they want. Otherwise they would not be bothering. If they get offered significantly less than that i think they will just pull the plug on the trade.

If Freo think they can get Warner next year then they probably want to preserve their cap space and draft capital for that. They might try and trade their first rounders this year for first rounders next year. I doubt they will bid for Baker this year if they think they can get Warner next year.

I don’t think any of there suggestions will satisfy the tigers. He’ll love Freo.
Sometimes you have to look out for your best interests first.

If Richmond aren’t willing to take what’s on offer, you move on. Sometimes clubs come back to the negotiating table and accept a lesser deal in the end.

Baker isn’t worth a first round pick. FFS. 🤦
Do you think Richmond and putting a full court press into selling him, including leaks to the media and giving the player himself permission to meet the other clubs they want to sell him to (which i would think it is highly unusual for players to be meeting with other clubs in season) all so they can hopefully get pick 40?

Baker is not worth a first rounder, but that doesn't mean Richmond don't think they can get more than what he is worth and get something close to that. Clubs tend to over rate their own players. Look at the posters on here who think we can get pick 20 for Bailey Williams.

Oh - If we pay and more than a direct swap of BBBW for Baker. It's too much.
Arguably Baker is worth less than BWill. Who’ll be better in three or five years? One has reached his peak …

BWill just needs a good clean run at things. At a minimum he’ll be ‘a good average player’ - to steal from a former Richmond great.

I rate Bo Allen a lot higher talent than Clay
Really want him he is improving so much this draft year
And he is another that will lift standards at the club he goes to works so hard
Allen is a great athlete and a momentum player, but nobody looks at West Coast and says they need a big mid with low disposal counts.

So all of that chat about who we're trading in means f@ck all if we don't have the picks to trade. So then who do we put on the table to get picks?
Do we trade mediocre to good blokes like Petch, Waterman, B Williams etc for picks or not? No one seems to have the stomach to put anyone out there except for Barrass, because we'll get first rounders back, but he's under contract for 3 years. You have to give something up to get something so who go's? We failed by not trading out Darling and Gaff 2 years ago when they had currency. We have to be more ruthless as a club, because treading water hasn't worked.

Do you think Richmond and putting a full court press into selling him, including leaks to the media and giving the player himself permission to meet the other clubs they want to sell him to (which i would think it is highly unusual for players to be meeting with other clubs in season) all so they can hopefully get pick 40?
I believe you didn’t understand that post. Maybe you need to go back and reread my post, and get back to me.
Baker is not worth a first rounder, but that doesn't mean Richmond don't think they can get more than what he is worth and get something close to that. Clubs tend to over rate their own players. Look at the posters on here who think we can get pick 20 for Bailey Williams.

Arguably Baker is worth less than BWill. Who’ll be better in three or five years? One has reached his peak …

BWill just needs a good clean run at things. At a minimum he’ll be ‘a good average player’ - to steal from a former Richmond great.
BWill is not worth more than Baker.

BW is a backup ruck, who “might” learn how to play as a tall forward. He has a significantly lower floor than Baker.

So all of that chat about who we're trading in means f@ck all if we don't have the picks to trade. So then who do we put on the table to get picks?
Do we trade mediocre to good blokes like Petch, Waterman, B Williams etc for picks or not? No one seems to have the stomach to put anyone out there except for Barrass, because we'll get first rounders back, but he's under contract for 3 years. You have to give something up to get something so who go's? We failed by not trading out Darling and Gaff 2 years ago when they had currency. We have to be more ruthless as a club, because treading water hasn't worked.
Not sure where you've been this year but Waterman and mediocre no longer go in the same sentence

If TB wants a 5 years secured contract and a pay rise then that may need to be at the Dogs or elsewhere.

Tough call for all parties involved.

If it landed us Busslinger plus a Traveglia that isnt a bad outcome.
Don't see how its a tough call at all.

TB contracted until the end of 2027.
He's already said he's committed to the club.

He's not going anywhere and the club won't be pushing him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure where you've been this year but Waterman and mediocre no longer go in the same sentence
Mate he's 27 next year, been on the fringe for much of his career, and has played great in Allen's absence this year now he's built his tank. He can push up to the wing and back now without blowing up. But he's not in Allen's league.
Likewise Petruccelle. Been in and out of the team for years. 26 next year. I think he's a Mid who can score, not a pure forward. I've always rated him but Simpson's dropped him so many times, to his detriment. What could we get for him in a trade?

Sometimes you have to look out for your best interests first.

If Richmond aren’t willing to take what’s on offer, you move on. Sometimes clubs come back to the negotiating table and accept a lesser deal in the end.

I get what you’re saying but what you’re suggesting hasn’t been a strong point of ours in recent seasons. The club’s preference, rightly or wrongly, has generally been to get deals done early

Very rare for trades we’re involved in to drag into the last day or two

Looking at a potential 2025 R1 side to see where Baker might slot in.
(NB: Assumes full availability and numbers in brackets are the players age at 1/1/25)

FB : Hough(21) Barrass(29) Bazzo(21)
HB : Duggan(28) McGovern(32) Hunt(29)
C : Chesser(21) Yeo(31) Ginbey (20)
HF : Cripps (32) Allen(25) Maric(20)
FF : Long(20) Waterman(26) Ryan (28)
R : Flynn(27) Kelly(30) Reid(19)
I/C : Cole(27) Hewett(20) J Williams(21) Brockman(22) Petruccelle (25)

Other than Duggan, who’s new contract is said to be imminent, all of the above are contracted for 2025 or beyond

As for depth we have (* denotes uncontracted)

KPD - Jamieson(24) Rotham*(26) H Edwards*(24)
Backs - Witherden*(26) Jones*(26) Burgiel*(20) J Baker*(20)
Mids - Hall(19) Johnston(19) Sheed(29) Culley*(21) L Edwards*(22) Trew*(22)
KPF - Darling(32) A Reid(19) Livingstone*(19)
Forwards - Hutchinson(23) Dewar(20) Rawlinson*(19)
Ruck - B Williams(24) Barnett(20)

Liam Baker(26) would push out either Cole or Hunt as a defender or Brockman or Petruccelle as a forward. So he improves the side, probably as a forward who can rotate through the midfield, and will help fill the void when Cripps inevitably retires (possibly as soon as 2025 or more likely 2026)

Hutchinson and Dewar would be the ones missing opportunity with Baker in the side ahead of them

So he’d be handy but not at a cost higher than a R2 pick, preferably next years

Also based on that I’m moving on -
Gaff
Rotham or H Edwards
Jones
Baker
Culley or L Edwards
Trew

Also have a discussion with Sheed as to whether he can continue to play with a foot fracture and if he’s happy spending most of his time in the WAFL.

Keep Witherden, Burgiel, Livingstone and Rawlinson

If there were suitors for Petruccelle and/or Burgiel I’d be open to a trade although neither would get much more than a R3 pick

Harry Edwards might also have some trade value given teams appetite for KPDs. Rotham is a UFA so has no trade value but might have a slim chance of netting Band 5 compo which would replace the R3 pick we lost trading up for Hall

Bailey Williams is our only genuine ruck cover for Flynn so I’d be reluctant to trade him unless something exceptional was offered - like an early R2 which would be unlikely

Richmond are not dressing Baker up and putting him the shop window so they can sell him for pick 40 or something like that. They think they can get a top 20 pick for him. They are probably thinking somewhere between pick 12 and 20 is what they want. Otherwise they would not be bothering. If they get offered significantly less than that i think they will just pull the plug on the trade.

If Freo think they can get Warner next year then they probably want to preserve their cap space and draft capital for that. They might try and trade their first rounders this year for first rounders next year. I doubt they will bid for Baker this year if they think they can get Warner next year.
Richmond aren't the ones shopping him around, he is uncontracted and is allowed to seek a trade wherever he wants, they don't get to "pull the plug" on a trade. Our 2nd rounder will be about 23, they may want a top 20 pick but it is what it is, you don't always get what you want. They've got a player they drafted as a mature age rookie and paid peanuts while he played in 2 flag sides and is now seeking a trade home a few years later, wouldn't be a great look to dig their heels in the sand over 3-5 draft places when they know we don't have anything close to that range. Loyalty goes both ways and sometimes you have to take slight unders.

Waterman? Uppercut yourself

You dont think Baker will decide where he plays?

Not Richmond.

He is out of contract. He plays where he decides to play.

Last edited:
Looking at a potential 2025 R1 side to see where Baker might slot in.
(NB: Assumes full availability and numbers in brackets are the players age at 1/1/25)

FB : Hough(21) Barrass(29) Bazzo(21)
HB : Duggan(28) McGovern(32) Hunt(29)
C : Chesser(21) Yeo(31) Ginbey (20)
HF : Cripps (32) Allen(25) Maric(20)
FF : Long(20) Waterman(26) Ryan (28)
R : Flynn(27) Kelly(30) Reid(19)
I/C : Cole(27) Hewett(20) J Williams(21) Brockman(22) Petruccelle (25)

Other than Duggan, who’s new contract is said to be imminent, all of the above are contracted for 2025 or beyond

As for depth we have (* denotes uncontracted)

KPD - Jamieson(24) Rotham*(26) H Edwards*(24)
Backs - Witherden*(26) Jones*(26) Burgiel*(20) J Baker*(20)
Mids - Hall(19) Johnston(19) Sheed(29) Culley*(21) L Edwards*(22) Trew*(22)
KPF - Darling(32) A Reid(19) Livingstone*(19)
Forwards - Hutchinson(23) Dewar(20) Rawlinson*(19)
Ruck - B Williams(24) Barnett(20)

Liam Baker(26) would push out either Cole or Hunt as a defender or Brockman or Petruccelle as a forward. So he improves the side, probably as a forward who can rotate through the midfield, and will help fill the void when Cripps inevitably retires (possibly as soon as 2025 or more likely 2026)

Hutchinson and Dewar would be the ones missing opportunity with Baker in the side ahead of them

So he’d be handy but not at a cost higher than a R2 pick, preferably next years

Also based on that I’m moving on -
Gaff
Rotham or H Edwards
Jones
Baker
Culley or L Edwards
Trew

Also have a discussion with Sheed as to whether he can continue to play with a foot fracture and if he’s happy spending most of his time in the WAFL.

Keep Witherden, Burgiel, Livingstone and Rawlinson

If there were suitors for Petruccelle and/or Burgiel I’d be open to a trade although neither would get much more than a R3 pick

Harry Edwards might also have some trade value given teams appetite for KPDs. Rotham is a UFA so has no trade value but might have a slim chance of netting Band 5 compo which would replace the R3 pick we lost trading up for Hall

Bailey Williams is our only genuine ruck cover for Flynn so I’d be reluctant to trade him unless something exceptional was offered - like an early R2 which would be unlikely

Anyone be surprised if Sheed retired early with a payout?

The foot fracture is always going to need management I recall reading. He doesnt seem interested and minor setbacks seem to be constantly popping up. He looks slow and unable to get the required base running loads up to AFL level.

Since when do players coming out of contract need permission to speak with other clubs?

They dont.

If they are under a multi year contract maybe,........it would be polite to let the club know as their permission to leave is required.

If the relationship has soured then gloves are off and the play talks to whoever they want to.

Often clubs ask other clubs permission to talk with players in season as a courtecy.

Rumour doing the rounds
f924b988be4447653c8753e20ae241a7.jpg

I get what you’re saying but what you’re suggesting hasn’t been a strong point of ours in recent seasons. The club’s preference, rightly or wrongly, has generally been to get deals done early

Very rare for trades we’re involved in to drag into the last day or two
New CEO, new approach? Let’s see what happens.

Yeah this isnt NBA. If players dont want to go, they dont have too.

People forget that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back