List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 36 27.1%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 17 12.8%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Good summary and agree on everything. Warner will cost too much, sooner we accept that and move on the better.

Did think of Little Briton reading through the list and the I say yes......I say no.

little britain television GIF
Couldn’t disagree more about Warner.

Chances of getting a player better then him at 1-4 next year or this and a future 2nd is very low and would do a lot in the chances of keeping Harley.

Better lock away Hunt on a lucrative contract then!!View attachment 2032912

Because Warner finishing top five two years running in a Sydney side that made the GF one year and top eight the next is the same as Hunt doing it once in a wooden spoon side…

Liam Baker - I say no because of point 3.
Tim English - I say no because he is just not that good.
Jedd Busslinger - I say yes provided it is at the right price.
Chad Warner - I say no because he will cost too much this year and next year. We are not getting him without a serious hurt to our draft capital and stop us fulfilling point 1 requirement. I doubt he wants to play in a bottom 4 club and try to get them up.
Isaac Cummings - I say yes to - he will cost nothing and allow us to delist some cloggers.
Harry Perryman - I say yes as per Cummings but hearing the Crows and others are better placed and prepared to pay more.
Jack Graham - I say no because he is slow and will not suit our new game plan.
Steely Green - I say no because he is not that good.
Dev Robertson - I say yes for a free hit but no if required a trade (I would accept a swap of R4 picks with the Lions).
Jack Carroll - same as Robertson

Baker - Yes, will have to move up from 23 somehow. Once again getting the wrong side of the 2 added PP for the Roos plus who knows what band Perryman/Battle/Zurhaar will be and probably push that back even more. Hopefully the Tigers need at pick to help move up even higher with a bundle for GC/Carl/Lions 1st.

English- tempting but no. I still have faith in Flynn.

Buss- 100% yes.

Warner- yes and offer it this year. Make it known how much we want him. Pick 3 and future 2nd. Warner and Harley would be showtime for 10 years but I think he is going to Freo.

Cummings- yes. Exactly what we need, heard Flynn saying he’s being a good salesman for Perth. Surprised we haven’t been linked but seems we are working every quiet this year.

Perryman - same as Cummings. Can probably only get one.

Jack Graham- no

Green- no (don’t know anything about him)

Dev- yes. Swap of 4ths or something minimal.

Carroll- yes but only for a 3rd round pick.

Sheldrick- my number 2 target behind Warner.Hopefully McDonald signs on and they need to save the cash (even if it’s bare minimum he’s on. Can’t see the Swans doing it otherwise, will wait a year until he is OOC.

If we strike out on a lot of these I Would consider Parfitt. There will be role players out there that are easy gettable. I reckon we must be confident the way we are speaking in the media about being aggressive.

So thinking about trade options, we need to be realistic as to where the list is at.

My personal perspective is as follows:-

1. A club needs to draft sufficient elite talent (A graders) with a balance of very good role players (B and C+) talent in order to be competing at the pointy end. We are only part way through this and need either a big draft haul now or this and next year's draft.

2. Early picks will be worth more now than when the Tassie start-up begins to be given concessions. Trading 2 years into the future will likely be discounted.

3. Be cautious of WA talent wanting to come home - if they are over 24 then they are likely to be coming for a big day out on the salary cap. We have good players on all lines that will set standards so no need to panic, especially if it will cost draft currency.

4. We need to be active in non WA free agents. Hunt and Flynn made a lot of sense although Hunt especially copped a lot of criticism on our board.

5. We have assembled a load of young talls - we now need to see what they can do. I was pleasantly surprised as to how good Jack Williams was this year and I know he can play at the level, not an A grader but a solid all to come in to cover an injured Bailey or Oscar.

6. From a game style perspective, we lack elite kicking and pace from our half backs. We also are 2 midfielders short of an engine room that can compete at the top end. We also need to address the wings and Chesser may make it but we need more of the Windsor types.

7. Remember we have built a history of retaining msot Vic talent and the idea that we start shopping contracted Vic talent is crazy given we have 17 Victorians on our list. It would take Bailey coming to the club and asking for an out, not tapping Bailey because we want a late R2 pick. Likewise with Petruccelle and Cole.

So I look at who is being touted. Runs them over my filter

Liam Baker - I say no because of point 3.
Tim English - I say no because he is just not that good.
Jedd Busslinger - I say yes provided it is at the right price.
Chad Warner - I say no because he will cost too much this year and next year. We are not getting him without a serious hurt to our draft capital and stop us fulfilling point 1 requirement. I doubt he wants to play in a bottom 4 club and try to get them up.
Isaac Cummings - I say yes to - he will cost nothing and allow us to delist some cloggers.
Harry Perryman - I say yes as per Cummings but hearing the Crows and others are better placed and prepared to pay more.
Jack Graham - I say no because he is slow and will not suit our new game plan.
Steely Green - I say no because he is not that good.
Dev Robertson - I say yes for a free hit but no if required a trade (I would accept a swap of R4 picks with the Lions).
Jack Carroll - same as Robertson

The only player I see I am prepared to trade out is Tom Barrass. But it would need to be at the right price. He is probably on something like $750k through to 2027. That is probably 3 years x $150k under the market. He would likely get another 2 years with the Dogs so if that is tempting, I would want Pick 6 from that Dogs get from Hawks plus Busslinger. I would even be prepared to pay a bit of his salary to make it happen. If it is a pick in the teens (ie Cats or Hawks go on a run) then no salary paid and I might ask for Garcia as well. For those against giving up Tom, remember you need to give up quality to get quality.

The draft pool looks light on at the very pointy end but even from 3 to 15 and then really decent from 16 to 30. In fact the shape of it feels like 2017. If we end up with pick 2, I suspect there will be offers. My ideal offer is to do a deal with Freo and get their first 2 R1 picks this year (say 8 and 12) for pick 2 and an agreement that we will not cut their Warner deal and their Logan deal.

We then deal with the Suns who have 3 R1 picks so should be able to match Lombard with their Norf end of R1 pick 20 and happily sell off their own and Dogs R1. Would the offer of a top 4 pick in 2025 tempt the Suns to give up say 7 and 9?

Instead of Barrass, pick 2 and a F1, we come away with Busslinger, picks 6, 7, 8, 12, 20 and 23 and no R1 in 2025.

Go to the draft and fill our needs.

This is an example - Sam Lalor, Joe Berry, Tobie Travaglia, Jobe Shanahan, Matt Whitlock and Noah Mraz. Alternatively we might decide to bring in both Whitlock boys and go mids and pace for the rest. Please do not respond on who you like or dislike in my example, think about what you would do with that draft hand. We might even be able to go for Bo Allan with a late teens or one of the picks in the 20's.

Give that talent to Noah Long and charge him with making them feel welcome in the Young Boys Club he is leading.

Unless one of our Academy or FS talents jumps up big time, we will have enough picks to match the C+ to B graders in 2025. We can always sell our 2026 F1.
I like it but disagree about Warner. Goal kicking balanced A tier midfielder is exactly what we need. If TB goes out, we can bring in Warner along with the other you've mentioned.

How would you feel (very hypothetical I know) about bringing in potentially Warner, Smith and Busslinger? (while still adding someone like Cumming)

And I still don't rate him that highly despite all the gushing.

So far hes put together half a good season when his team has been on top of the ladder.

100% do not want to pay the price for someone whose peak is in the review mirror.
From the bloke who wanted us to use pick 2 on Busslinger in 2022...

I am certainly not doubting your news, however, do we know if this two year contract offer from the Eagles is for the AFL or WAFL team?

It's one thing to get a two year offer from the Eagles, its a little different if it's for the WAFL team in order to assist with his development, with the aim of getting on to the AFL list.

Definitely for the AFL team - it'd be a bit insulting to offer an opposition player a two year WAFL deal when he has likely not been delisted from his AFL side yet hahah. That'd be a post-season conversation you'd think. It doesn't mean it doesn't play out that way though - no idea if Steely is likely to get another Richmond contract, and our plans may change etc.

For the record, putting my Eagles fan hat on I share the view that others seem to old on this target: 'why'. Steely is an incredibly hard worker and I suspect there's a chance he overcomes his current deficiencies - but a main list spot for us is a pretty big offer given where we're at, and we don't have many spare IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Toby Whan. Keep an eye on draft watchers... Gun sportsman.
Potential NGA for Freo as mum has South African heritage. However, has not signed up yet and has courted calls from WCE (can only assume why...) along with every big agent in the land.

On SM-A336E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is he related to Obi?

I can't say much, I was on the Phillipou train...

On draft night being there we (the club I was working for) were expecting Geelong to pick Busslinger and then expected WCE to take Jhye Clark. (who WCE would have selected at pick 2) The expectation was then that the eagles would get Ginbey with 14 and with the well known school and off field (minor off field) indiscretions from Hewett that the Eagles would get him with their third pick. (by the time draft night came he was crossed off our board)

My plan, yes my plan after doing all the interviews and being told that Carlton wanted an outside player who could run (there were different names thrown about and hewett was one) and it was dicussed that they needed a high half forward as well It played out on the phone that if we drafted Olli his brother Elijah would request a trade next season. I rated Elijah higher than Olli and it was suggested we go HBF, ball pig and best available KPP from there. Jakob Ryan was the pick with Cowan the backup. Carlton ended up with Cowan.

I had been heavily against picking Binn as he is a ball butcher however he interviewed great and had a real desire to improve but 'we can teach him to kick better' and he was selected. (Still can't ****ing kick)

The whole group was torn on the KPP. Did we go the player with the much higher ceiling and great underage year but a shit top year campaign or did we go Phoenix Foster who had a great champs and back end of the year. I agreed that Lemmey was the higher level talent and while the decision wasn't mine he was the draft pick. He looked to be developing well in the back half of last year and i'm not sure what happened over the offseason but he has looked well down on confidence and hasn't developed any further.

Now, as a WCE supporter I wanted us to draft the Buss at Ginbey's pick and was certain that Ginbey would make it to 14. The only 2 clubs we weren't 100% sure on up to pick 13 were Geelong and Melbourne.

On draft night being there we (the club I was working for) were expecting Geelong to pick Busslinger and then expected WCE to take Jhye Clark. (who WCE would have selected at pick 2) The expectation was then that the eagles would get Ginbey with 14 and with the well known school and off field (minor off field) indiscretions from Hewett that the Eagles would get him with their third pick. (by the time draft night came he was crossed off our board)

My plan, yes my plan after doing all the interviews and being told that Carlton wanted an outside player who could run (there were different names thrown about and hewett was one) and it was dicussed that they needed a high half forward as well It played out on the phone that if we drafted Olli his brother Elijah would request a trade next season. I rated Elijah higher than Olli and it was suggested we go HBF, ball pig and best available KPP from there. Jakob Ryan was the pick with Cowan the backup. Carlton ended up with Cowan.

I had been heavily against picking Binn as he is a ball butcher however he interviewed great and had a real desire to improve but 'we can teach him to kick better' and he was selected. (Still can't ****ing kick)

The whole group was torn on the KPP. Did we go the player with the much higher ceiling and great underage year but a shit top year campaign or did we go Phoenix Foster who had a great champs and back end of the year. I agreed that Lemmey was the higher level talent and while the decision wasn't mine he was the draft pick. He looked to be developing well in the back half of last year and i'm not sure what happened over the offseason but he has looked well down on confidence and hasn't developed any further.

Now, as a WCE supporter I wanted us to draft the Buss at Ginbey's pick and was certain that Ginbey would make it to 14. The only 2 clubs we weren't 100% sure on up to pick 13 were Geelong and Melbourne.
Sydney was the late mail for Hewett wasn’t it ? Given the picks annd players available Ginbey and Hewett is a massive win. If we end up with buss for a second round pick this year that’s a clean up in my book

Back