List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Think the jury decision is in, Freo are far more attractive trade destination than us….. unfortunately
Replying to a 4 week old comment to prove how unattractive we are, you have a pessimistic loser mindset. You wait until freo beat a top team to reply telling me the jury is in about a guy that still has a year and a half to run on his contract, todays result doesn't disprove anything I wrote.

Freo go and beat top teams every single year and then lose to teams they should beat, we haven't learnt anything new. You don't need to be the higher team on the ladder to win a players signature and the rest of this season is no guarantee, let alone 2025.

Going to do this every time I watch the Suns, but heck we should just overpay to try and nick Ben Ainsworth.

Got a few good young players to follow next year.

Banfield looks good. For those who haven't seen him, he's a tall (190ish cm) utility.
Mostly plays wing and he plays a role and in a style similar to McInerney or Lipinski, non stop running up and back with good skills and decision making. Bonus is his overhead marking.

Walley is a smooth moving, high impact player similar to Bobby Hill.

Koby Evans didn't play, but he's a raw, highly talented player with some tricks and x-factor.

I watched the whole game. Champion is just too small. Our NGA prospect, Walley looks a much better prospect than Champion. Bo Allan was terrific and really tried to take the game on; I really hope we can grab him in the next draft.
Dennis down back was excellent. We had a lot of good players, our underagers were great so in 2025, we will have a very good team. Davis, Boxshall, Curtin, Rodriques, Gerreyn, Hayes, Urquhart were all good. Hayes is a fantastic prospect, I think he is an underager too.
It was our inability to kick goals in the 4th quarter that killed us, I think we kicked 7 points from very gettable set shots, and our disposal on hitting up players was awful at times. Missed so many targets. I think the lads will be disappointed they didn't win that.
Hayes isn’t an underage player. We had 8 in the WA squad.

Curtin, Kelly, Evans, Walley, Rodriquez, Banfield, Willis and Becker.

Evan’s and Walley are in our NGA and Banfield a father son prospect. Will be a really interesting watch next year.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Curtin and Rodriquez both start early next year as potential top 10 prospects.

A few brief notes on the game today:

Travaglia- Again can’t speak highly enough of him. Impacts EVERY contest he gets to, makes excellent decisions, can hit a 60m pass out of defence and is very clearly a leader out there. #1 priority as it stands, whatever his draft range is we need a pick there. Will solve so many problems and allow us to cut a lot of dead wood.

Lalor- Wasn’t eye catching all but still looked good when he got the ball. Spent most of the game in the forward line and didn’t get his hands on it much. Looks even powerful in the flesh than on the broadcast.

Lindsay- Was surprised when I saw his stats at the end of the game but really liked his ball use and decision making. Would be a great fit for us as an outlet and i50 user and went at 95% efficiency today. Might even allow us to use our wings as prime movers, if we could get him and Cumming
I’d be delighted.

Hynes- Damaging and impactful, still looks a little one dimensional in terms of his movement but definitely has X factor. Looks capable of 30+ a game but doesn’t need that many to hurt opposition teams and kicks goals.

Langford- looked good again but still question marks on his tank and athleticism. I don’t think we’ll truly know his draft range until after the combine and I’m weary of getting too hyped up about him until then but he is a very good footballer.

Allan- Powerful all day, felt like he was always in the contest and made good, aggressive decisions to use the corridor. Starting to warm to him.

Urquhart- Was superb early but then faded. Still don’t have him in the top 30 but if he could play out a game like he started then he’d sit comfortably in that bracket.

Gerreyn- Great use of his body, vice like hands. Could have been a good selection if we had a 3R provided he shows the versatility to play forward and back.

Banfield- Looks to be an excellent player, magnificent overhead, big tank and strong in the contest despite still being 16. Finally a potential top end father/son.

Dennis- Some strong overhead marks and runs all day, hope we’re looking at him for a rookie spot depending on how we go with Buss/2R/Hedwards/Barrass.

Where’s Wally and Cody Curtin both looked good. Assured and didn’t look out of place against the bigger bodies. Next year will be a bumper year for WA talent.

Tauru also looked fantastic for VicC and will be one to watch.

Was also fortunate to have a chat with the great Rohan O’Brien at the game. He said we’d locked in on Harley in May last year if we had pick 1 and that whichever team ended up with it wouldn’t have traded it for anything that would be realistically offered. Played the media like a fiddle and genuinely seems like a genuinely good bloke. Did not ask about the pies.

A few brief notes on the game today:

Travaglia- Again can’t speak highly enough of him. Impacts EVERY contest he gets to, makes excellent decisions, can hit a 60m pass out of defence and is very clearly a leader out there. #1 priority as it stands, whatever his draft range is we need a pick there. Will solve so many problems and allow us to cut a lot of dead wood.

Lalor- Wasn’t eye catching all but still looked good when he got the ball. Spent most of the game in the forward line and didn’t get his hands on it much. Looks even powerful in the flesh than on the broadcast.

Lindsay- Was surprised when I saw his stats at the end of the game but really liked his ball use and decision making. Would be a great fit for us as an outlet and i50 user and went at 95% efficiency today. Might even allow us to use our wings as prime movers, if we could get him and Cumming
I’d be delighted.

Hynes- Damaging and impactful, still looks a little one dimensional in terms of his movement but definitely has X factor. Looks capable of 30+ a game but doesn’t need that many to hurt opposition teams and kicks goals.

Langford- looked good again but still question marks on his tank and athleticism. I don’t think we’ll truly know his draft range until after the combine and I’m weary of getting too hyped up about him until then but he is a very good footballer.

Allan- Powerful all day, felt like he was always in the contest and made good, aggressive decisions to use the corridor. Starting to warm to him.

Urquhart- Was superb early but then faded. Still don’t have him in the top 30 but if he could play out a game like he started then he’d sit comfortably in that bracket.

Gerreyn- Great use of his body, vice like hands. Could have been a good selection if we had a 3R provided he shows the versatility to play forward and back.

Banfield- Looks to be an excellent player, magnificent overhead, big tank and strong in the contest despite still being 16. Finally a potential top end father/son.

Dennis- Some strong overhead marks and runs all day, hope we’re looking at him for a rookie spot depending on how we go with Buss/2R/Hedwards/Barrass.

Where’s Wally and Cody Curtin both looked good. Assured and didn’t look out of place against the bigger bodies. Next year will be a bumper year for WA talent.

Tauru also looked fantastic for VicC and will be one to watch.

Was also fortunate to have a chat with the great Rohan O’Brien at the game. He said we’d locked in on Harley in May last year if we had pick 1 and that whichever team ended up with it wouldn’t have traded it for anything that would be realistically offered. Played the media like a fiddle and genuinely seems like a genuinely good bloke. Did not ask about the pies.
Aha amazing. Desperate to get TT somehow, fave of the crop. Did Rohan have anything to say about this years crop?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree Travaglia is a player I hope the Eagles can get. I'm a fan of splitting the pick this year.

On Urquhart, perhaps due to hip surgery and having a fair bit of time out of the game has impacted his endurance.

Good write up mate.

Anyone one else like the look of Lawson Humpries who made his debut for cats tonight he is a wa boy he looks alright

Love them or hate them the Cats have got a great development team down there..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We want to give up on FOS/Draper for Travaglia and X?

I hope our recruitment team know wtf their doing, my only view is, this is another year to make sure we get talent in.

Next year seems like the year where trade is possible and could be on the cards for us.

I’m on board for FOS or Draper ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Haven’t really seen him mentioned in any 1st or 2nd round discussions but he’s certainly not doing himself any harm during the championships.

Remember before the state games began the talk was that there were only one or two good WA prospects. I think after the last 4 games suddenly there are several that are a good chance of getting drafted.
Couldn't agree more, some players performed really well throughout the champs. Few I'd love to add to the list.

I hope our recruitment team know wtf their doing, my only view is, this is another year to make sure we get talent in.

Next year seems like the year where trade is possible and could be on the cards for us.
As the ladder stands I’d offer to trade our F1 and 23 to Freo for 8, 14 and 16. That will get them Warner next year and some good picks for us this year.

Long way to go but if FOS is available at 3 I hope we take him provided we also do something like the above deal. If it’s anyone else I hope we split it. After FOS and Smillie talent is pretty even in the top 10 IMO.

Travaglia could be top 6 by draft time.

Looks like this year’s Hayden Young, and it’s not unreasonable that he has the same type of career progression.

Not unreasonable to have him ahead of players like Jagga Smith, Moraes, etc. if they aren’t part of your top tier mids.

Could be something like;
1. Smillie
2. O’Sullivan
3. Ashcroft
4. Draper
5. Lombard
6. Travaglia
7. Smith
8. Lalor
9. Trainor
10. Moraes

Got a few good young players to follow next year.

Banfield looks good. For those who haven't seen him, he's a tall (190ish cm) utility.
Mostly plays wing and he plays a role and in a style similar to McInerney or Lipinski, non stop running up and back with good skills and decision making. Bonus is his overhead marking.

Walley is a smooth moving, high impact player similar to Bobby Hill.

Koby Evans didn't play, but he's a raw, highly talented player with some tricks and x-factor.

Kobie on his speed alone makes him a tantalising prospect 2.80 for 20m repeat sprint is very very elite
also very nice size 185cm

Banfield has terrific hands is so so clean, very good at ground balls and does not loose his feet
Kicking is good if he can increase his production next year really looks a player

Walley good size 182cm huge leap good speed can play midfield as well

Travaglia could be top 6 by draft time.

Looks like this year’s Hayden Young, and it’s not unreasonable that he has the same type of career progression.

Not unreasonable to have him ahead of players like Jagga Smith, Moraes, etc. if they aren’t part of your top tier mids.

Could be something like;
1. Smillie
2. O’Sullivan
3. Ashcroft
4. Draper
5. Lombard
6. Travaglia
7. Smith
8. Lalor
9. Trainor
10. Moraes
Add in Faull and Langford and one of the twins, will be a hard top ten this year
great depth this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back