List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 38 27.5%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 18 13.0%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 12 8.7%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 40 29.0%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

I really don't know how you peeps want to split.

We need mids safe as houses mid. We cannot split for a sub tier midfielder
I agree, but it really depends who we rate.

People would say Ginbey/Hewett is better than one of Wardlaw. In any case I am firmly in the Pick 3 camp on the best mid.

FOS welcome to West Coast, and if we really unlucky Congratulations Smilie.

I really don't know how you peeps want to split.

We need mids safe as houses mid. We cannot split for a sub tier midfielder

Exactly. We need cream of the crop, A+ tier mids. I don't want another two Ginbeys in exchange for an excellent mid.

People would say Ginbey/Hewett is better than one of Wardlaw. In any case I am firmly in the Pick 3 camp on the best mid.

Yeah, that was putrid.

Hard to watch especially after being ok against the Dons.

Need mids and fast plus elite ball users off half back. We have zero and would be one of the only teams that don’t.

I really think we should still chase English, Flynn is a stop gap, not a A grade ruck. After watching our midfield get fingered by hawthorn, I'm convinced we need someone that can actually put the ball down the thoats of our Mids, none of this hit and hope garbage.

I really think we should still chase English, Flynn is a stop gap, not a A grade ruck. After watching our midfield get fingered by hawthorn, I'm convinced we need someone that can actually put the ball down the thoats of our Mids, none of this hit and hope garbage.
That’s not English.

Agreed. Although he’s not a great hitout guy. More of a hard worker around the ground. We needed plenty more of that today.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The only people who would say that are West Coast supporters wearing rose-tinted glasses. Much like the Kelly trade, all other neutral observers with good sense would take the contrary view.

Wardlaw is a complete inside-outside midfielder with no major flaws in his game (durability?). Ginbey is a project midfielder who even at best will have to play around his inalienable deficiencies (footy nous, composure, and footskills), and Hewett is injury prone, has some flaws in his game (fitness, composure and skills in his first year were simply deplorable, but hoping that's just him adjusting to the pace of AFL) and had enough question marks over his attitude to strike him off multiple clubs draft boards.

I believe we should have backed ourselves in, taken best available at 2 (Wardlaw), and if it transpired that he wanted out after a year or two, we could cashed him in for approximately equivalent draft picks ala JHF and Cerra. If the talent is there (as was never questioned for any of these players), there will always be a market for it, and you are a chance of recouping the initial cost (the time "lost" to development is overstated). It only doesn't work out when you misjudge and the talent is not there in the first place, but then you're up sh*t creek anyway.

This was one mistake of several in this list rebuild but we should learn from it. This year, best available with our first pick and if we want Travaglia (as I do), we should look to trade up for him. But if it is indeed the case that picks 2-10 are truly even (unlike 2022 where the eveness was overstated - Sheezel and Wardlaw are a step above Humphrey and Mackenzie who are a step above the rest), the split becomes viable. But then of course there is less demand for moving up the order so the value of downgrading is diminished.

TL;DR: When your list has talent defeicinies across all positions and you are rebuilding from the bottom, just take best available unless some dumb club is willing to trade up for a player they have tunnel vision on. Unfortuantely for us, we're often that dumb club and we can't sell to ourselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2035360
With the Carlton cap squeeze I’d be asking the question of Pittonet with De Koning keeping him out. Some on dogs board seem to think we’re dipping our toes back in the English waters too.
Can see why, even if English isn’t a great hit out man, he can find it at least. Need anyone who can help get and move the ball

The only people who would say that are West Coast supporters wearing rose-tinted glasses. Much like the Kelly trade, all other neutral observers with good sense would take the contrary view.

Wardlaw is a complete inside-outside midfielder with no major flaws in his game (durability?). Ginbey is a project midfielder who even at best will have to play around his inalienable deficiencies (footy nous, composure, and footskills), and Hewett is injury prone, has some flaws in his game (fitness, composure and skills in his first year were simply deplorable, but hoping that's just him adjusting to the pace of AFL) and had enough question marks over his attitude to strike him off multiple clubs draft boards.

I believe we should have backed ourselves in, taken best available at 2 (Wardlaw), and if it transpired that he wanted out after a year or two, we could cashed him in for approximately equivalent draft picks ala JHF and Cerra. If the talent is there (as was never questioned for any of these players), there will always be a market for it, and you are a chance of recouping the initial cost (the time "lost" to development is overstated). It only doesn't work out when you misjudge and the talent is not there in the first place, but then you're up sh*t creek anyway.

This was one mistake of several in this list rebuild but we should learn from it. This year, best available with our first pick and if we want Travaglia (as I do), we should look to trade up for him. But if it is indeed the case that picks 2-10 are truly even (unlike 2022 where the eveness was overstated - Sheezel and Wardlaw are a step above Humphrey and Mackenzie who are a step above the rest), the split becomes viable. But then of course there is less demand for moving up the order so the value of downgrading is diminished.

TL;DR: When your list has talent defeicinies across all positions and you are rebuilding from the bottom, just take best available unless some dumb club is willing to trade up for a player they have tunnel vision on. Unfortuantely for us, we're often that dumb club and we can't sell to ourselves.
I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but as other posters have mentioned here, it’s going to be a very slow and difficult rebuild, if you are doing it at a rate of one first round pick a year.

Especially if the AFL wind back NGA access to what it originally was, with no restrictions on where teams can match a bid.

At some point WC are going to have to find a way to generate extra first round draft picks to speed up your rebuild.

Ginbey most likely end up on the half back flank , could do well in his original position .
God no. A kick like his. I fail to see how he will turn out any better then Duggan or Tom Cole.

In fact Duggan probs has a better kick and can accumulate better then he can.

At best he's a back pocket if you want to move him to defencr

Ah yes, Hewett is injury prone and Wardlaw is what?

An average game for Jagga is a very good game for most other players. He started and finished strong here, but had a quieter period through the second quarter and early in the third. He was still excellent at stoppage, with his innate ability to read the tap and slippery movement to find space for a clean disposal, and he was an important part of Metro's push in the 4th quarter to kill the game off with a scoring surge.

At some point WC are going to have to find a way to generate extra first round draft picks to speed up your rebuild.
This.

The talk of Ginbey/Hewett v Wardlaw is premature.

We dont have a production line of NGA or F/S picks. We dont have the support or even an offer for an assistance. Adding to the fact that in 2022 Wardlaw being injured during his draft year and both he and Sheezle openly said they would be home sick and did not want to move interstate.

The club in my opinion made the best decision with the what was the options given to them at the time. We wont know this was a wrong decision until they seriously play a decent amount of games and years.

Right now Wardlaw looks like a gun.

We think Hewett will be a gun, we know Ginbey will do whatever it takes to get the best out himself. So in my view if Ginbey and Hewett can get 200 + games and both end up being solid contributors for me thats a win.

We need kids, and decent kids in quickly.

Wardlaw was always pick and going norf...norf knew GWS were getting Cadman. It would of been Sheezel/Cadman at pick 2

Back