List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 37 27.2%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 18 13.2%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 41 30.1%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Ginbey had a shocker today, but is only 1.5 seasons into his career and has improved at a steady rate. In fact, compared to his cohort, he is doing extremely well.

View attachment 2035465

He’s a fine player but we also have eyes, the bloke can not kick the football what so ever, he has zero composure and his best attribute is that he tries.

He’s a decent athlete, but a long way from being a good footballer.

Giving up Wardlaw or Sheezel with Ginbey being the main prize is bad.

Hewett is injury prone, has some flaws in his game (fitness, composure and skills in his first year were simply deplorable, but hoping that's just him adjusting to the pace of AFL) and had enough question marks over his attitude to strike him off multiple clubs draft boards.

lol. You're a victim of presentism and a bad judge of talent.

This was one mistake of several in this list rebuild but we should learn from it. This year, best available with our first pick and if we want Travaglia (as I do), we should look to trade up for him.

Do tell how Travaglia an undersized kick mark defender will improve us? Our biggest weakness is ground ball, creativity by hands and leg speed.

Ginbey had a shocker today, but is only 1.5 seasons into his career and has improved at a steady rate. In fact, compared to his cohort, he is doing extremely well.

View attachment 2035465
Also, has only been a mid since halfway through 2022.
People had given up on him being a mid and were wanting him to moved to the backline, but had a patch of good games in the midfield, but back to struggling a bit again.
He's still learning to be a mid, I think he will get there, but needs a bit more time.

Do tell how Travaglia an undersized kick mark defender will improve us? Our biggest weakness is ground ball, creativity by hands and leg speed.
Travaglia is exceptionally creative by hand. Unorthodox technique but it’s fast and he chooses the best option almost every time. He’s got a huge tank, has good speed and is excellent with repeat sprint efforts. He wins the ball or at least halves it when it hits the deck in the contest. He’s far more than a kick mark defender he just also happens to be good at both. Didn’t have his usual amount of possessions on Saturday but watch the replay and look at his decision making and work with the ball on the ground over the champ, it might surprise.

He has not been better than Jagga, Smillie has been underwhelming though.

I just don’t rate Draper

Would never have guessed that.

Or maybe I should have, because you bag the shit out of him ad infinitum.

Travaglia is exceptionally creative by hand. Unorthodox technique but it’s fast and he chooses the best option almost every time. He’s got a huge tank, has good speed and is excellent with repeat sprint efforts. He wins the ball or at least halves it when it hits the deck in the contest. He’s far more than a kick mark defender he just also happens to be good at both. Didn’t have his usual amount of possessions on Saturday but watch the replay and look at his decision making and work with the ball on the ground over the champ, it might surprise.

Ugly more than unorthodox.

His lack of ground agility will determine his position at AFL level. He's exactly the type of player West Coast doesn't need.

We need running midfielders, the gap in our best 22 is the ability to transition from inside to out and from back to front and visa versa.

Ugly more than unorthodox.

His lack of ground agility will determine his position at AFL level. He's exactly the type of player West Coast doesn't need.
I’ll agree with ugly, but it’s effective.

Have to disagree on your second point, but glad there’s a balance of opinions 👍

Just saw the edit. Absolutely agree with your third point. Huge problem, which is why I’m eager to trade into the 15-25 zone of the draft. Lindsay and Hotton for example would be in that range who could help address that.

And no more training the f**** house down and homo posts about him being buffed.

He's not a footballers arseh*le.

We wasted a year rebuilding in burning our pick.
He can play but yes I get annoyed at all the "look at the boy" hype

If he can't get and use the ball well then who cares what he looks like.

The training the house down part is good because at least he can push guys to put some effort in

Dunno, I'm still happy with the split pick and think he has had a relatively good season

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Today has shaken me to the point where I wouldn't mind attempting Mitchell 2.0 with Pendlebury. Have a nice fat one year playing contract - not like we can't find the money or list space - then transition into our coaching programme.

Sam Docherty could be a similar shout but obviously with stipulations as to matches played. Perhaps Mitch Duncan. Luke Parker if he can't get back into the Swans best 22 (and keeps his elbow to himself).

Just feel like there's a real leadership void at the club. This needs sorting.

I said Clayton Oliver but was laughed out here.

I still think bailey smith or clarry or Warner > English/Baker/Bolton

A standout performance by Reid and one of the best individual performances so far in this Champs series. He was especially important during a pivotal 3rd quarter stretch which Metro took control of the contest. Murphy was poised and creative with ball in hand, damaging the opposition with involvements in scoring chains as well as kicking goals himself.

Wow. I actually see a lot of Sheezel in how Murphy Reid plays

He's creative with ball in hand and super polished

Barrass apparently isn't happy with his freshly signed contract and wants more years tacked on. If this really happens, then Pyke was the wrong man to take over. I'd like to see Barrass traded for some picks.

His “freshly signed contract” was signed in December 2021, nearly 3 years ago

Spilt pick 1 or 2 and take Reid and Travolta or whatever his name is

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Cigarette Travolta GIF by TIFF

lol. You're a victim of presentism and a bad judge of talent.

I like Hewett as a midfield prospect. For a first-year player, he made great impact in short midfield bursts. He positions himself well at the contest, reads the ball off the ruck tap well, hits the ball at pace, collects with clean hands and can exit the stoppage with explosiveness and pace. The problem thus far has been what happens next. He has shown more than a tendency to blindly boot the ball in the general direction of play without raising the eyes. His disposal from contest was as bad as it gets, and lacking even when compared to other young midfielders. Again, I'm not overly concerned as he was a first-year midfielder thrown into the deep-end, and he didn't show those same tendencies as a junior, but it is quite possibly a significant flaw in his game, to add to the fitness and injury issues. This board had been so starved for young midfield talent impacting at AFL level so this worrying tendency understanably didn't generate as much discussion as it might have otherwise. But my point was we had the opportunity to acquire a midfielder with no clear flaws (bar his hamstring injuries as a junior).

Re. Travaglia, my point was more we should look to upgrade if we fancy someone between our first and second rather than splitting our first. I am firmly in favour of best available midfielder at our first pick. Travaglia I see a luxury we likely can't afford and should only make a play for if we can move up the draft board . I would add footskills and creativity by foot to your list of the side's biggest weaknesses, particularly from the back half, and Travaglia will go some way to rectifying that. I also think you are underselling him somewhat, but I do have a bias for players who can read the ball and set up the play with good footskills.

He’s a fine player but we also have eyes, the bloke can not kick the football what so ever, he has zero composure and his best attribute is that he tries.

He’s a decent athlete, but a long way from being a good footballer.
So a poor man’s Dev Robertson.

Scared Homer Simpson GIF by reactionseditor

Giving up Wardlaw or Sheezel with Ginbey being the main prize is bad.

Last edited:
Back