List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 38 27.5%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 18 13.0%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 12 8.7%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 40 29.0%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
The whole Ginbey vs Wardlaw or Sheezel crap needs to stop.

We literally split the pick and some muppets are comparing half of the split to the whole of the initial pick.

Let's just park this nonsense for 3 or so years and then come back to compare the combined output of Ginbey & Hewett to the singular Wardlaw.

And even wiithout considering the environment Ginbeys still shown alot more than Hollands. It's jibberish to say otherwise

Ginbey averages more disposals, tackles, effective disposals and metres gained in less TOG and they're very close in disposal efficiency.
think at this point briz is just trolling the board tbh.
that or he is making opinions without actually watching games.

The whole Ginbey vs Wardlaw or Sheezel crap needs to stop.

We literally split the pick and some muppets are comparing half of the split to the whole of the initial pick.

Let's just park this nonsense for 3 or so years and then come back to compare the combined output of Ginbey & Hewett to the singular Wardlaw.
North probably take Wardlaw at 1, so WC take Sheezel at 2.

North probably take Wardlaw at 1, so WC take Sheezel at 2.

I wonder if people would be as passionate and argumentative on the debate Hinbey v Sheezel.

At the end of the day, I think both Ginbey and Hewett as a collective would get the chocolates. It’s a good watch for the next decade.

I wonder if people would be as passionate and argumentative on the debate Hinbey v Sheezel.

At the end of the day, I think both Ginbey and Hewett as a collective would get the chocolates. It’s a good watch for the next decade.
Not a discussion I’ve been apart of here. That’s for you guys.

Since Mama Kane has been employed at the AFL, it has become more charitable and philanthropic , to one particular Club.

I think most can .............. join the dots ............ here.

I had an interesting chance discussion with a high-profile former president of a Victorian club earlier this year.

L.Kane came up as a topic (it was actually about legal compensation and someone made a lame joke that they should call her as she's always looking after anything to do with North Melbourne - and no, it was not me).
This person had a very different view:

"She doesn't give a f**k about North, she's going to kill them. She's a death adder, wagging the tail, letting them come right in close before the final strike comes... That's why she's got the job, she's got the ambition and a bigger set of balls than the rest of that mob to get it done and make it look like it's doing everyone a favour... And if it all goes to shit, they'll just hang her out and keep their jobs..."

Cue an awkward silence at the table.

"Look, nobody wants 19 clubs. North and Hawks are going to be f**ked off from Tassie and will need money from somewhere, that's when she'll make her move... I reckon she will enjoy it that way as well..."

And that was it: he smiled, half chuckled, re-filled his glass, then pointed over at a someone across the table and started discussing business as if the last 30 seconds had never happened.

Whether any of that has any truth to it at all, I have no idea. But it certainly was striking and quite unexpected.

I had an interesting chance discussion with a high-profile former president of a Victorian club earlier this year.

L.Kane came up as a topic (it was actually about legal compensation and someone made a lame joke that they should call her as she's always looking after anything to do with North Melbourne - and no, it was not me).
This person had a very different view:

"She doesn't give a f**k about North, she's going to kill them. She's a death adder, wagging the tail, letting them come right in close before the final strike comes... That's why she's got the job, she's got the ambition and a bigger set of balls than the rest of that mob to get it done and make it look like it's doing everyone a favour... And if it all goes to shit, they'll just hang her out and keep their jobs..."

Cue an awkward silence at the table.

"Look, nobody wants 19 clubs. North and Hawks are going to be f**ked off from Tassie and will need money from somewhere, that's when she'll make her move... I reckon she will enjoy it that way as well..."

And that was it: he smiled, half chuckled, re-filled his glass, then pointed over at a someone across the table and started discussing business as if the last 30 seconds had never happened.

Whether any of that has any truth to it at all, I have no idea. But it certainly was striking and quite unexpected.
How was it that you came to be sitting at a table with Jeff Kennett?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roos got 2 end of first round compo picks at end of 2022, which they were forced to trade.
At that point they'd won 9.5 games in 3 years.

We're currently sitting on 8 wins in 2022,2023 & 2024. If we only win one more game for year, that's 9 in 3 years. Can't see us winning two more. Combined with the fact that we were robbed access to our academy talent, and are spread pretty thin on the ground for young talent, if we go hard for a compo pick/s I can't see how the AFL can refuse it. Unless of course they add their secret herbs & spices.

2 end of first round picks, even if they had to be traded, would be very handy. Buss & Baker & still take our first 2 picks to draft.

while I understand the obsession over high picks, there's a lot more to strategy than simply (gimmie high pick)

our two elite key backs in Barrass and McGovern were not even top 40 picks
Just because it can happen doesnt mean we will have success at it again. We cant just hedge the rebuild on finding guys like Gov or TB with later picks

while I understand the obsession over high picks, there's a lot more to strategy than simply (gimmie high pick)

our two elite key backs in Barrass and McGovern were not even top 40 picks
Decent KPD can be traditionally found with later picks. Mids not so.

Then that kinda puts a full stop of splitting our pick doesnt it?

Travaglia starts progressing upthe board, we can't split pick 3. If he is the guy we target and believe he is top 3 then we reach and grab him there....Everything I read suggest he isnt though?

My point is, the recruitment team needs to be doing double time this year and next year for so many scenarios; I am not a draft guru but I think they really need to do a deep dive on this years talent, next, and their targets. And ask themselves a couple of questions like below. I'd love to be a fly on the wall.

Do we aim for x1 Elite talent (FOS) or Do we split for x2 picks in the teens for what will B Graders to fill need?
Do we trade out this year for the aim to have more representation next year being large WA cohort?
Do we get kids this year, knowing we go hard for Chad Warner next year and wont be in the draft 2025 (Honest conversations with his manager to see if he is gettable. If there is need to match?)
Do we trade F1 ignoring WA talent and Sharp to get better representation this year FOS + Lalor/Trainor .etc

Me personally, I wouldnt split the pick this year.

Pick 3 gets us FOS/Draper, and next year if Warner is on the table go for him I'd be throwing some crazy numbers so we dont have to match 1.8 MIL, and still be hoping to pick up one of the kids in 2025 - Sharp, Greeves .etc

2026 = Curtin

***This is also not assuming we use junk yard picks to get Busslinger, Baker, Sheldrick, Collard, Tholstrup, Hardeman and Adams. We missed the boat on Jones unfortunately...

How do you mean?

At the moment we cant match until pick 40, so our NGA is a tease if we have anyone better than that. Banifield will be interesting, unless we can hide him like its the 90's again?

Well sounds like the Rioli for the Suns 1st rounders is off.

And I would split 2 or 3 to land 7 and 8 without blinking.

Well sounds like the Rioli for the Suns 1st rounders is off.

And I would split 2 or 3 to land 7 and 8 without blinking.
To be fair it is Caroline Wilson saying that, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a worse panel to discuss footy that what FC dished up last night. Yeoy still hasn’t heard from North Melbourne and yep 8 and 10 would be great gets in a very even top 10. GCS may want to take Trainor before a Lombard bid so I wouldn’t rule it out. They may also be very interested in our F1 in a bumper 2025 NGA crop, F1 for 8 and 10 would be a great result.

Better if you look at Hewett with our first pick and Ginbey as the steak knives.
Entire WC board praying for Hewett’s foot to heal

Pray I Hope GIF

Roos got 2 end of first round compo picks at end of 2022, which they were forced to trade.
At that point they'd won 9.5 games in 3 years.

We're currently sitting on 8 wins in 2022,2023 & 2024. If we only win one more game for year, that's 9 in 3 years. Can't see us winning two more. Combined with the fact that we were robbed access to our academy talent, and are spread pretty thin on the ground for young talent, if we go hard for a compo pick/s I can't see how the AFL can refuse it. Unless of course they add their secret herbs & spices.

2 end of first round picks, even if they had to be traded, would be very handy. Buss & Baker & still take our first 2 picks to draft.
I think last year was a 2023 end of first round pick and two 2024 end of first round picks pending results of 2024 which of course north traded into 2023 so that wasn’t a factor.

End of 2022 was a second and third round pick that had to be traded.

And because of this, kids like Hollands have shown more in the role they play, even if their stats are less.
*kids like hollands have shown more accumulating loose ball on the outside, even if their stats are less and the role they play is considerably easier than competing head to head against seasoned AFL midfielders to win the ball on the inside as a 19 year old?

Both Sheez and Wardlaw were clear in their intentions about not leaving Vic so this is a non discussion

As for targeting Perryman, there’s a strong rumour hawks have offered substantial money. If true he’ll be off the table. Definitely think Cumming is worth a shout. Has a great peg on him

Back