List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 40 28.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 18 12.6%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 40 28.0%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Other

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
We have Waterman and Allen, Cadman would be rotting in the twos.

All we have to do is get the midfield firing and we'll be back up the ladder pretty quick. A new coach that actually knows how to transition the ball would also help.
We need jack Williams to slot into darlings position. He is 7cms taller than darling and a genuine back up ruck not just a cameo .

HF Ryan Allen Long
F brockman Jwilliams waterman

We have Waterman and Allen, Cadman would be rotting in the twos.

All we have to do is get the midfield firing and we'll be back up the ladder pretty quick. A new coach that actually knows how to transition the ball would also help.
Waterman has almost retired and essentially come from nowhere to play half a good season so far.
Allen is perma injured but an also play back if needed.
Darling or Maric would be out for Cadman who starts as a 3rd tall fwd.

Our problem isn't the coach. Just like with North & Clarkson. Yze at Richmond didn't get the job because he is clueless.

This is the least talented list West Coast have ever had, and in 2021 as bereft as any side in AFL history for ability. Gold Coast '11 Carlton 06' Melbourne 09' North '22 bad. Years of pain for no gain.
We are honestly going to be bottom 4 for the next season and a half and from that time have enough credits scraped together to be mid table battlers only because of our home ground advantage.

Waterman has almost retired and essentially come from nowhere to play half a good season so far.
Allen is perma injured but an also play back if needed.
Darling or Maric would be out for Cadman who starts as a 3rd tall fwd.

Our problem isn't the coach. Just like with North & Clarkson. Yze at Richmond didn't get the job because he is clueless.

This is the least talented list West Coast have ever had, and in 2021 as bereft as any side in AFL history for ability. Gold Coast '11 Carlton 06' Melbourne 09' North '22 bad. Years of pain for no gain.
We are honestly going to be bottom 4 for the next season and a half and from that time have enough credits scraped together to be mid table battlers only because of our home ground advantage.
Least talented list we’ve ever had? Yeah, right!

McGovern, Yeo, Barrass, Kelly, Ryan, Allen, Waterman, Reid, Darling, Cripps, Duggan - there is eleven names including
4 club champions, 4 AA’s.

This is before mentioning other players that we might want to argue over. The spine is as good as any in the league.

To say the list lacks talent is just wrong imo. There is enough talent to be doing better than we are, it is not our worst list ever. I am not saying it is a top 8 list but it is better than a bottom 2 list.

Recall 2000 - 2003, 2008 - 2010, there was little, that is less talent in these lists.

Last edited:

Selling high on Waterman isn’t the craziest idea to me, I wouldn’t be rushing to extend him, if he leaves next year and has a good 2025 he’ll net us band 1 compensation - which will be a top 3 pick you’d think.

I don’t believe Oscar and Waterman work well, cash in on one of them imo.

I know this will be unpopular and I’m by no means saying I’d get rid of either just for the sake of it, but if you get overs, you consider it.
I guess we'll have to wait and see when our midfield is functioning to a decent standard to see if our forward line can play together
No point judging them until then

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Selling high on Waterman isn’t the craziest idea to me, I wouldn’t be rushing to extend him, if he leaves next year and has a good 2025 he’ll net us band 1 compensation - which will be a top 3 pick you’d think.

I don’t believe Oscar and Waterman work well, cash in on one of them imo.

I know this will be unpopular and I’m by no means saying I’d get rid of either just for the sake of it, but if you get overs, you consider it.
Id wait and see how it plays out for the year before resigning Waterman. If they can make it work this year, then sign him quick.
If the combo looks a bit awkward, and another club comes in with a big offer, id consider it. Itd have to be pick 7 + a 2nd rounder or a player from Melbourne or something though.
We might get a bit more a year later from band 1 compo, but it could easily be a similar range pick, and we get a year worth of games into Jack Williams and the first round pick a year earlier if we do the trade which speeds things up a bit.

Im not against trading any of our 24+ year old players if we get a good deal and its a position we have depth in or can acquire depth easily enough.
We can cover a KPF or a KPD loss I think

I think Jack Williams looks like a good player and want him to get more regular games, that wont be until 2026 if we have Allen Waterman and Darling still around. Playing Maric with them too leaves us way too tall in the front half.

McGovern, Yeo, Barrass, Kelly, Ryan, Allen, Waterman, Reid, Darling, Cripps, Duggan - there is eleven names including

This is before mentioning other players that we might want to argue over. The spine is as good as any in the league.

To say the list lacks talent is just wrong imo. There is enough talent to be doing better than we are, it is not our worst list ever. I am not saying it is a top 8 list but it is better than a bottom 2 list.

Recall 2000 - 2003, 2008 - 2010, there was little, that is less talent in these lists.
The 2001 list had Peter Matera, Dean Kemp, Glenn Jakovich, Ashley McIntosh, Drew Banfield and Ryan Turnbull. That’s some serious premiership, AA and B&F talent right there. Of course, sometimes it’s less about the credentials of the list and more about getting the balance and age profile right.

Of course, that team also had some young rising talent like Ben Cousins, Daniel Kerr, Darren Glass, Dean Cox, Andrew Embley. And you campaigners know what happened next.

The 2001 list had Peter Matera, Dean Kemp, Glenn Jakovich, Ashley McIntosh, Drew Banfield and Ryan Turnbull. That’s some serious premiership, AA and B&F talent right there. Of course, sometimes it’s less about the credentials of the list and more about getting the balance and age profile right.

Of course, that team also had some young rising talent like Ben Cousins, Daniel Kerr, Darren Glass, Dean Cox, Andrew Embley. And you campaigners know what happened next.
I didn’t mention those who could be regarded as rising talent such as Ginbey, Hewett, Hough, JWilliams, Maric, Long, Bazzo, Brockman, BWilliams and others who may emerge such as Dewar, Hall, Barnett, Johnston etc.

My point is simply that the list is the “least talented” ever is somewhat of an overstatement, and that because the talent is so thin coaching is not playing any part in our present lamentable state.

As far as AA’s and old timers go I could have mentioned Gaff and Sheed.

Last edited:
We need jack Williams to slot into darlings position. He is 7cms taller than darling and a genuine back up ruck not just a cameo .
As a club we missed a trick with Darling. He is a bit shorter than Tom Hawkins but has a better vertical leap and is at least as strong.
If we had put the effort in and used him as a forward throw in ruck we would have had a WC version of Hawkins.

We have started to try and use him this way a bit in 2024 but too little, too late. Should have started in 2018 ish.
Opportunity has gone. Bus has been missed. The train has left the station.

As a club we missed a trick with Darling. He is a bit shorter than Tom Hawkins but has a better vertical leap and is at least as strong.
If we had put the effort in and used him as a forward throw in ruck we would have had a WC version of Hawkins.

We have started to try and use him this way a bit in 2024 but too little, too late. Should have started in 2018 ish.
Darling is way too short to use as a regular ruck. It only works in the forward line as he can wrestle.

Not sure how happy I am that we'll be extending Waterman on a long term deal because of half a very good season after so many of being bang average. Not sure how much choice we have though after only extending short term last year.

Hope he keeps it up but I'm not convinced yet.

Ill try to limit to players that have had club champion or AA selections.

2002 (after 2 down years)
Gardiner
Judd
Kerr
Banfield
Fletcher
Cousins
Braun
McIntosh
Cox
Glass
Jakovic
Hansen
Matera
Matera
Embley
Wirrpanda

Bonus points Sampi.
We would get absolutely curb stomped.

2010( After 2 down years)
LeCras
Kerr
Fletcher
Waters
Natanui
Selwood
Priddis
Mackenzie
Kennedy
Cox
Shuey
Glass
Hurn
Embley
Wirrpanda

McGovern
Darling
Gaff
Yeo
Kelly
Barrass
Ryan
-----------Part way through careers we can reasonably expect these players to be around the level of AA or club champion.
Allen
Reid
Hewett

Most importantly or 2024 side has our best players approaching 30 or older.

Darling is way too short to use as a regular ruck. It only works in the forward line as he can wrestle.
Wasn't that exactly where I said we should have been using him?

IMO Paddy Dow was always a reach in a shallow draft.
Should have ended up solid though and playing every week. A bit like how Masten always seemed a few bad games away from being dropped.

Mid depth this year is stronger overall. I'm usually against splitting but if we could perhaps drop only a place or two for a good bonus pick then its definitely something to think about.
We need a ball pig… someone like serong from freo. Is this Draper? We could probably slide a couple of spots to pick him up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#7 Reuben Ginbey

Not sure that performance required 12 pages of crying about Reuben.

19 year old in his 32nd game.

3rd highest rated Eagle on the ground.

1st for pressure acts (cue the "ergh he's so slow and reactive").

Yes, it wasn't his best game (was his 12th best rated game), but surely we have much bigger things to worry about than Reuben.

Thanks again for your ongoing work Alesana

200w (22).gif

I didn’t mention those who could be regarded as rising talent such as Ginbey, Hewett, Hough, JWilliams, Maric, Long, Bazzo, Brockman, BWilliams and others who may emerge such as Dewar, Hall, Barnett, Johnston etc.

My point is simply that the list is the “least talented” ever is somewhat of an overstatement, and that because the talent is so thin coaching is not playing any part in our present lamentable state.

As far as AA’s and old timers go I could have mentioned Gaff and Sheed.
The point is that we happen to be bottom 4 for the third year in a row with next year expected to be the same. We have never been that bad before.

We have hardly hoarded top line or even assured talent in this time at the bottom.

We can churn out second tier guys and do okay bringing in 1 or 2 a year but even then no one had come through for probably 4 years 2018-2021 so we were starting from scratch there too.

*Obviously the AFL has more teams and overall list strength will be less than historically. Compared to the current AFL the old fashioned "best 22" is pretty much a "best 19" now.

Not sure how happy I am that we'll be extending Waterman on a long term deal because of half a very good season after so many of being bang average. Not sure how much choice we have though after only extending short term last year.

Hope he keeps it up but I'm not convinced yet.
Agreed and good post. We loose absolutely nothing by waiting until the end of next year. If he maintains his form and is offered a band 1 contract by another club and we get a top 3 pick for Jake Waterman then very happy to take that if he doesn’t want to re-sign with us.

If he drops off then we have had 24 months to assess with worth instead of 6 and we offer an appropriate contract to reflect that.

I’m glad we showed faith in Jake and he’s come good, but if he’d played like shit or not at all do we think he would have renegotiated his contract to reflect that?

I am quite open to trading him. His value right now could net us a first rounder ora couple of early seconds.

We aren't challenging for finals for another 5yrs.

Ultimately with allen, JW and a young archer reid we need those 3 keys jelling together. Keeping Waterman stunts one of JW or Reid's development.

(Darling needs to go)

With hutch Maric culley we aren't short on height!.

On Blade A3 SE using BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably not. They won't even give him a chance at AFL level when we only had 2 mids playing.
Unfortunately I can't see him as an AFL player.

great in lower leagues.

Too slow for mid and not big enough forward.

We've got lots like this.

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unfortunately I can't see him as an AFL player.

great in lower leagues.

Too slow for mid and not big enough forward.

We've got lots like this.

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not big enough asa forward! He is as tall as Darling. Kicked 5 and got a rising star nod before doing his knee. He is an inside bull mid, speed not essential.

On Blade A3 SE using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back