List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 41 28.5%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 18 12.5%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 40 27.8%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Other

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
I think we'll definitely request an assistance package from the AFL and it'll be like the North one, two picks that must be traded. They would help secure two trade targets, hopefully Buss and Baker.
I would prefere to ask for only 1 year of priority picks with a mid 1st round and mid 2nd round picks this year so next year will be the first non compromised draft in a while .

Not drag the picks out over 3 years like norf did

Also ask for 2 extra rookie spots and the ability to place out of contracted senior players straight on there.

Also remember our last game is in Geelong. We have lost by 100+ the last few trips
our run home

Every team we play except Saints and north fighting to play finals...

Dees in melbourne 60+ loss
Lions home 60+ Loss
Saints melbourne ?
Freo 60+ Loss
Suns home 30+ Loss
North tassie 30+ loss
Cats away 80+

i'm a realist with this.

the optimist has me thinking we bring it for last 7 games and win a couple and compete in the rest
The pessimist has us putting the cue in the rack and players not giving a shit to end the year... losing by 80 every week.

We have to split our F1 like your suggestion.

this would be an awesome draft haul.
2 O;sullivan
8 Travaglia
10 Lalor

And like you said - figure out a way to get busslinger and baker via player trades. This is where barrass or Waterman trade might net us a bounty worth considering.
This would be my ideal start to the draft too. Murphy Reid is hard to place, I think some clubs will have him top 5 after his champs performances, but some will have him 15-20 so if he’s available at 10 there would be a decision to be made between him and Lalor but a long way to go.

Waterman I think we should be patient, not extend his contract and wait for a band 1 offer next year/extend him. If we did trade him this year make a club like Melbourne pay through the teeth:

Waterman and BWilliams for pick 7, Rivers and McVee.

Baker comes via AFL PPs and player trades or not at all. On good mail be prepared for Richmond to ask for Maric.

I haven't seen much of this Jack Carroll kid from Carlton people are linking us with.

Is he worth getting?

Just watching a few highlights and looking at stats there doesn't seem to be anything amazing about him other than he's a WA kid so let's bring him home.

Is that the best reason to do a trade?

He's a lefty so a Gaff replacement maybe?

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why are people so into baker around here?

He will be 27 next year (January bday), so he won't add to our youth or be around for our window.
He's not a free agent so we need to use our precious draft capital to get him.
He's an average to above average AFL player with no set position and doesn't fill any specific need for us.

I just don't see the value in it.

We are discussing him because it seems the club is into Baker is a big way.

Not because we are all frothing over the prospect of landing him.

I haven't seen much of this Jack Carroll kid from Carlton people are linking us with.

Is he worth getting?

Just watching a few highlights and looking at stats there doesn't seem to be anything amazing about him other than he's a WA kid so let's bring him home.

I really like Jack Carroll, a young natural midfielder who’s trying to break into a Carlton midfield at the peak of its powers.
Would be a good addition under a new coach.

Is he worth getting?

For a 3rd rounder he would add more than Gaff, Sheed, L Edwards, Trew, J Jones and even Culley.

He is the perfect age and position and just on the fringe at Carlton.

Blues getting two FS mids and landing Hollands last year pushes him back.

So for a 3rd rounder he would be a solid addition who could play round 1.

Last edited:
Zero Hanger article today about Derksen at GWS.

Any thoughts or insight?

Ex Peel player. Tall forward / ruck but now playing defense. Good kick and behind all the other talls at GWS.

35 goals last year.

This year averaging 19.8 disposals and 7.3 marks playing defense.
Anythings better than rotham.

Zero Hanger article today about Derksen at GWS.

Any thoughts or insight?

Ex Peel player. Tall forward / ruck but now playing defense. Good kick and behind all the other talls at GWS.

35 goals last year.

This year averaging 19.8 disposals and 7.3 marks playing defense.
His stats have been impressive, looks useful. But he’s contracted for another year and we have very little trade capital.

I think we'll definitely request an assistance package from the AFL and it'll be like the North one, two picks that must be traded. They would help secure two trade targets, hopefully Buss and Baker.
Maybe we'll get exclusive rights to a whole state!!

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I really like Jack Carroll, a young natural midfielder who’s trying to break into a Carlton midfield at the peak of its powers.
Would be a good addition under a new coach.
Agreed. I like him as well. Would slot in immediately.
Solid around the contests, also decent on the defensive side of the ball.
Unlike some on our list, passes the eye test when it comes to natural footballing ability.

Would walk straight into the midfield.

This would be my ideal start to the draft too. Murphy Reid is hard to place, I think some clubs will have him top 5 after his champs performances, but some will have him 15-20 so if he’s available at 10 there would be a decision to be made between him and Lalor but a long way to go.

Waterman I think we should be patient, not extend his contract and wait for a band 1 offer next year/extend him. If we did trade him this year make a club like Melbourne pay through the teeth:

Waterman and BWilliams for pick 7, Rivers and McVee.

Baker comes via AFL PPs and player trades or not at all. On good mail be prepared for Richmond to ask for Maric.
AFL PP isnt happening. I just cant see it. We should ask the question no doubt. If they gave us something like 2 end of 1st round picks for 2025, use em or lose em type thing. Those 2 picks would get in baker and busslinger and preserve our fraft hand.

if not we will have to give up something to get something different in. I like maric and recon in the long run could become a 200 game player, but might have to be done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are people so into baker around here?

He will be 27 next year (January bday), so he won't add to our youth or be around for our window.
He's not a free agent so we need to use our precious draft capital to get him.
He's an average to above average AFL player with no set position and doesn't fill any specific need for us.

I just don't see the value in it.
I’m in the get Baker camp.

Sometimes you need a close to possible ‘sure thing’ you know what you are getting and what he should have provide to our side for the next 6-7 years.

Had a fair few picks in the draft the last few years. Definitely not splitting the pick especially if it’s pick 2 like I think it will be. FOS fits our need straight away.

Wins matter to help get the better free agents and retain players.

For a 3rd rounder he would add more than Gaff, Sheed, L Edwards, Trew, J Jones and even Culley.

He was drafted at the end of second round, I'd hate for us to put all that development into him and lose him for only a 3rd. He's absolutely an ideal target for you guys tho. Can definitely play, but trying to break into Carlton's midfield as an inside mid is gonna be impossible for years without significant injuries occurring.

I’m in the get Baker camp.

Sometimes you need a close to possible ‘sure thing’ you know what you are getting and what he should have provide to our side for the next 6-7 years.

Had a fair few picks in the draft the last few years. Definitely not splitting the pick especially if it’s pick 2 like I think it will be. FOS fits our need straight away.

Wins matter to help get the better free agents and retain players.
But being realistic, baker isn't going to be an above average AFL player for 6-7 years. He's not really a point of difference or a game winner, more a good depth player so won't be the type of guys to win us extra games next year anyway.

Is he worth getting?

I wouldnt recommend he shop at Spudshed just in case a shopper accidentally tries to take him home and peel him

We gotta aim higher then this.

Would only want for a pick upgrade. Cant give up a 3rd rounder.

He is better then the above but dont think that should be the reason we grab him.

We all know the problem with Liam Baker is the cost of the deal. If he was a free agent id be drooling at the mouth over it but he isnt so all of a sudden its a cost/benefit scenario

The cost simply isnt worth the benefit. It would take Richmond being insanely generous to us for it to ever be so

I would prefere to ask for only 1 year of priority picks with a mid 1st round and mid 2nd round picks this year so next year will be the first non compromised draft in a while .

Not drag the picks out over 3 years like norf did

Also ask for 2 extra rookie spots and the ability to place out of contracted senior players straight on there.
There will be a load of academy prospects in 2025, so unless Aunty Laura makes a significant change, it will be compromised.

There will be a load of academy prospects in 2025, so unless Aunty Laura makes a significant change, it will be compromised.

“Not compromised but complexed.”

Straight from the horses mouth ….. or maybe another part of her anatomy would be a more apt description.

Gerreyn answered a couple of questions people had been asking in a confident display by the big man. He launched at contested marks all game and managed to clunk a couple of strong ones, and he dominated in his backup ruck stints against Country's secondary rucks. Overall, he continued to show the combination of size and skills that has draft watchers intrigued.

But being realistic, baker isn't going to be an above average AFL player for 6-7 years. He's not really a point of difference or a game winner, more a good depth player so won't be the type of guys to win us extra games next year anyway.
You ain’t getting a game winner with the pick we will give up in a trade? Yes there is a very small percentage we could if we keep those picks and use them but higher percentage he doesn’t give us what I think Baker can for 6-7 years.

A bloke who has finished where he has in the BNF at the tigers shows he can help.
Is this Baker alone who does this? Of course not he is in a simple position with the Tigs now but he would be the first step in becoming competitive and getting the great club back on track. Baker/FOS*/Carroll/Bloke who plays for Brissy and ex WA u18 skipper plus the growth of all the last few years picks would help next year and for another decade.

Part of list management in todays sport is becoming a destination club. Wins are the biggest help for that. He is a lot better player than the player he would replace. Great age where we lack, great leadership, clean and decent user. Who knows maybe if we had him instead of player 22 in the Saints, Dons and Roos game we win?

3 win season becomes 6-7 wins. The next WA player or Free agent sees coming to us as a more attractive choice. Pressure comes off the young blokes a little. We don’t have 10 pages about a 2nd year player who depends what metrics you use is doing well for his age and experience. Players take less money to stay or come. He would certainly help the new coach take some pressure off.

Also Baker at 32 would be a great leader and has been there and done it. We wouldn’t have many who would still be in the list that have played GFs let alone finals. Great thing to have come our ‘next window’.

We would have a top 4 spine atm but need to fill out the rest. A few best 22 additions could really help the wins column which helps a lot of other things retention/culture building/Free agency ect

Back