List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 41 28.5%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 18 12.5%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 40 27.8%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Other

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
I haven't seen much of this Jack Carroll kid from Carlton people are linking us with.

Is he worth getting?

Just watching a few highlights and looking at stats there doesn't seem to be anything amazing about him other than he's a WA kid so let's bring him home.

Is that the best reason to do a trade?

He's a lefty so a Gaff replacement maybe?

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Looks to have ability to me.

Stats would not be best indicator because he’s fringes b22 at Carlton and would have played a number of sub games.

This would be my ideal start to the draft too. Murphy Reid is hard to place, I think some clubs will have him top 5 after his champs performances, but some will have him 15-20 so if he’s available at 10 there would be a decision to be made between him and Lalor but a long way to go.

Waterman I think we should be patient, not extend his contract and wait for a band 1 offer next year/extend him. If we did trade him this year make a club like Melbourne pay through the teeth:

Waterman and BWilliams for pick 7, Rivers and McVee.

Baker comes via AFL PPs and player trades or not at all. On good mail be prepared for Richmond to ask for Maric.
I would not like to lose Maric for Baker.

Maric is one of our most promising young players although messed around this year with no position.

A lowish possession count not withstanding, Lindsay was close to BOG in this game. He was competitive, clever and slick at stoppage, winning more clearances than any other player and regularly initiating forward breakaways or applying tackling pressure if needed. When he found the ball in space his usage by foot was creative and precise.

Last year it was the absurdity of North getting pick 3 for McKay

This year it could be St Kilda getting pick 5 (on current ladder position) for Josh Battle

I hope that part of this competitive balance review the AFL is doing focuses on FA compensation. Clubs receiving top 5 draft picks for middling players is insanity

If this is what the formula spits out, it needs to be changed and/or change the bands such that band 1 is an end of first round pick

Last edited:
Looks to have ability to me.

Stats would not be best indicator because he’s fringes b22 at Carlton and would have played a number of sub games.
High production in VFL this year. As others have noted, Carroll has a look about his play that says he has good football instincts - not that this sort of vibe is an infallible guide. He is also not slow, unlike several of our fringe/WAFL mids.

A lowish possession count not withstanding, Lindsay was close to BOG in this game. He was competitive, clever and slick at stoppage, winning more clearances than any other player and regularly initiating forward breakaways or applying tackling pressure if needed. When he found the ball in space his usage by foot was creative and precise.

Great fit for us. Fantastic fast hands out of the contest, ideal first receiver with a lethal left foot, huge tank and CTL captain. Would be straight into our best 22 on a wing with versatility to play on a flank and could still be available with our 2R. Perfect example of why we shouldn’t go after Baker.

This year it could be St Kilda getting pick 5 (on current ladder position) for Josh Battle

I hope that part of this competitive balance review the AFL is doing focuses on FA compensation. Clubs receiving top 5 draft picks for middling players is insanity

If this is what the formula spits out, it needs to be changed and/or change the bands such that band 1 is an end of first round pick

Less upset about this than McKay

Nothing to do with us being almost no chance to go above the Saints either

High production in VFL this year. As others have noted, Carroll has a look about his play that says he has good football instincts - not that this sort of vibe is an infallible guide. He is also not slow, unlike several of our fringe/WAFL mids.
Have heard the Blues are struggling for list spots too and maybe need points depending on what happens.

Don’t think a lot of interest from other clubs.

I wouldnt recommend he shop at Spudshed just in case a shopper accidentally tries to take him home and peel him

We gotta aim higher then this.

Very rude. Not to mention disrespectfull.

Just a dumb thing to post GE.

So tell us. Aiming higher. With only one 1st round pick each year.

How do we rebuild a list?

Is he better than the players we need to cut? Yes he is.

Is he too old to improve? No he isnt.

And with Ross going full whinge on equalisation and the Saints getting no help. Whats the chance the Saints are trying to get some of that secret herbs and spices to gift them pick 5 compo as a bit of a backhouse deal?

Band 2 end of 1st is what Battle is worth and that is all. Everyone knows it and its just common sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Battle is a role player lol

What's with clubs of late paying huge coin for middling players?

First round compo for Battle? Wtf

AFL Salary Cap -
2023: $15.02m
2024: $15.79m
2025: $17.76m
2026: $18.29m
2027: $18.44m

So clubs have an extra $2m per year to spend in 2025, $2.5m in 2026 and $2.65m in 2027 over current spending

That’s a lot of extra coin for clubs to throw around, especially for free agents who don’t cost any draft capital

You would be ok Wilkie landing band 1 compo?:$

Who is Wilkie?

Have either players made AA?

Won a B&F?

Polled Brownlow votes?

Is this for real?

Callum Wilkie was AA last year and would be a good chance of doing it again this year.

And asking about Brownlow votes in a discussion about key defenders is just opposite of chef’s kiss. Barrass has polled 5 of them. Darren Glass polled 12, less than one a season. Eric MacKenzie had 3.

You would be ok Wilkie landing band 1 compo?:$

Who is Wilkie?

Have either players made AA?

Won a B&F?

Polled Brownlow votes?
Yes because key defenders are renowned for polling Brownlow votes…

Wilkie was All Australian last year and finished 2nd in their B&F in the last two years running.

He’s no Jeremy McGovern but he’s St Kilda’s best key defender and therefore would be more justified in attracting Band 1 compo than Battle.

Is this for real?

Callum Wilkie was AA last year and would be a good chance of doing it again this year.

And asking about Brownlow votes in a discussion about key defenders is just opposite of chef’s kiss. Barrass has polled 5 of them. Darren Glass polled 12, less than one a season. Eric MacKenzie had 3.
I got out-Sanchez’d

At least we all know who Ben McKay is.

Who the FK is JOSH BATTLE? never heard of him.

Is this for real?

I havent taken much notice of Wilkie and TBH wouldnt be able to pick him out in a lineup.

Battle I have read about and know about from watching over the years.

Maybe I dont watch enough Saint Kilda games but I do know most of their best 22.

Would he be worth band 1 compo which is the discussion. No. No way.

The band 1 FA compo is being discussedwith players who just are not the top level. Is he a Buddy Franklin level?

Yes because key defenders are renowned for polling Brownlow votes…

Wilkie was All Australian last year and finished 2nd in their B&F in the last two years running.

He’s no Jeremy McGovern but he’s St Kilda’s best key defender and therefore would be more justified in attracting Band 1 compo than Battle.

So if he isnt at McGovern levels.

Why would he be band 1 then?

Back