List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 53 28.5%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 24 12.9%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 17 9.1%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 13 7.0%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 24.7%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
I want Oscar gone before Waterman. More trade value. I fail to see massive loss if Waterman is our number 1 forward rather then Oscar.

A top 4 picks for Oscar >>>> any teen picks for Waterman or picks > 7 for Waterman.

Spare me the but oh Oscar is our captain. Idc it doesn't matter

Oscar is a much better player than Waterman, we'd be mad to get rid of him.

Ryan late first rounder 18?
Waterman mid/late first rounder 14
And I would be surprised if there is a contracted player requesting a trade.

Ryan is replaceable. Champion might be that player. Dewar. Johnstone.

Waterman replaceable. Allen and Jack Williams locked in for 25. Get archer reid to a level he can step in occasionally. BW as back up.

Darling can be payed out or traded....gonsky. I recom there is a couple of teams who would use him differently to the way we do, and would add value to there forward lines. Pies, Saints, north. Early third rounder maybe

Apply for couple end of first round PP to trade.

Draft
2, 14,18, 23

PP for Baker and Carrol.
Pay a mill front ended for Cummings, and 600 for another 4yrs.

We have make tough decisions.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree with all this except value Waterman higher and I do think he’d move for a big payday with Melbourne having plenty of cap space. A forwards line of Oscar, JWill and Archer is more than functional with JD to start in the Beagles. Tough decisions need to be made and I’m glad Pyke is overseeing this.

GCS
WCE IN: 7, 8, Davies
WCE OUT: F1, Ryan

MELB
WCE OUT: Waterman, BWilliams
WCE IN: Pick 9ish, Trent Rivers

BULLDOGS
WCE OUT: Barrass, Petruccelle
WCE IN: Pick 12ish, 28, Garcia

Draft: 2,7,8,9,12,23,28,58

FOS, Travaglia, Reid, Lalor, O’Farrell, Lindsay, Mraz, Champion match.

Would think its Freo, Brisbane or Gold Coast as more logical options for Ryan. Warmer and Qld a bit more laid back. Lions 1st likely in the teens and the steak knives player we cannot name. ;) :thumbsu:

Suns one of their 1sts with something going back, depends on the 1st.

Freo - one of their 1sts. Area of need to focus on.

The small forward market may get busy this period.

Now if we were super aggressive we would look at a Waterman trade. Taking the emotion out of it. He is now arguably at his highest trade value. Essendons 1st plus Nick Bryan. Maybe some later picks or swaps depending on the 1st.

Waterman's@ market value and trade value now would be what realistically?

Ryan, Darling (phased out in 2025) and Waterman out means opportunity for J Williams, A Reid, Long and Maric to develop. Plus Ryan's half forward spot is needed for developing a Hewett or our 2024 1st pick.

For the kids to get developed something needs to give.
So trade waterman leaving us with Allen who has played roughly 50% of games since the beginning of 2021, for a late first rounder and a ruckman who's played 1 game this year?

Put the pipe down

People seriously need to stop stressing about ginbey. He is the 5th best player in the 19-20 age bracket according to AFL player ratings. Also been played out of position in recent times.

He is tracking fine. He’s obviously no wardlaw or sheezel but he doesn’t have to be. (As long as hewett returns).

Come on what are you thinking.

It’s the WC board on BF, if a kid isn’t tracking like Walsh, Rozee, Rowell, Sheezel or Diacos in their second season ….. then they are a bust.

Jest aside agree with your post, he is doing fine .

Last edited:
Gee, these last couple of pages...

Trade out every good player for unproven draft picks and Norf ourselves for another 4 years, then crack the shits when HR leaves.

Yes, there's a couple of options there that could get us some good picks whilst also enabling us to expos youth that are languishing in the WAFL, but everyone?

Get a ****ing grip.

Just on Waterman - he has had a purple patch this season.

Whatever we do - I don’t want to see a large and long contract put before him. As a club long and large contracts have burnt us too often.

If he doesn’t like the offer (provided it’s realistic) - trade.

Time to be a little more honest with players seeking large and long contracts. We should not be seen as a SMSF.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Trade out every good player for unproven draft picks and Norf ourselves for another 4 years, then crack the shits when HR leaves.

Yes, there's a couple of options there that could get us some good picks whilst also enabling us to expos youth that are languishing in the WAFL, but everyone?

Get a ****ing grip.

Yes because there is no quick fix, this is a 5-10 year plan and sometimes you just have to make the tough calls, Hawks are further along on the rebuild because they did it, Pies won a flag by doing it.

Not sure anyone has suggested get rid of everyone but we have 3 or 4 players with rumours already existing about that could net us some very valuable draft picks/players to put us in a better rebuilding position.

I want Oscar gone before Waterman. More trade value. I fail to see massive loss if Waterman is our number 1 forward rather then Oscar.

A top 4 picks for Oscar >>>> any teen picks for Waterman or picks > 7 for Waterman.

Hard to take anything you post seriously.

OA is a jet and you want to get rid of him and keep Waterman.
I think we should keep both FWIW.

And you were desperate we recruit that spud Robertsen (who can't get a game) and make him captain.

Seriously?

So trade waterman leaving us with Allen who has played roughly 50% of games since the beginning of 2021, for a late first rounder and a ruckman who's played 1 game this year?

Put the pipe down

Allen 194, Darling 191( rerires end 2025), Maric, 196 J Williams 198, Archer Reid 200, Livingston 200 and a resting ruck. Bryan 206, B Williams 199 or Harry Barnett 203.

Thats nine talls.

How many more do you need?

Plus Hutchings 190 who is the same height as Darling. Plus Culley 194 now listed as a key forward on the Eagles site.

Are you saying there are no options to develop?

Essendons 1st plus Nick Bryan.

That 1st gets a Travaglia/Bo Allen/ Langford nice spot the late teens.
No thanks.

Got no interest in Nick Bryan myself. If Nick Bryan comes then Barnett should go/be delisted

AFL can give us late teens picks. We got no need to trade 50 goal per season forward to achieve this goal

Nope we take the player coming off an injury year becasue we think we’re so good at identifying talent and the fact they didn’t play means we’re stealing a “bargain”
Who knows maybe our guys really are the smartest guys in the room. You'd never bloody know it though because unless a player comes readymade, we sure as shit aren't developing them.

Get a ****ing grip.

Every good player?

Its actually only the ones that may think twice and look elsewhere being discussed. Some already been discussed in the media. Others may come about because we get a little more gun shy of long term big deals, as others have mentioned.

We likely see a change of coach this season IMO and that also leads to player movement and not extending big contracts until the next coach comes in..

We simply wont be the accomodating club of the past, we cant afford to be so lets not be surprised if a couple of players are playing elsewhere in 2025.

Havent seen the club make a bold trade decision for some time.

Allen 194, Darling 191( rerires end 2025), Maric, 196 J Williams 198, Archer Reid 200, Livingston 200 and a resting ruck. Bryan 206, B Williams 199 or Harry Barnett 203.

Thats nine talls.

How many more do you need?

Plus Hutchings 190 who is the same height as Darling. Plus Culley 194 now listed as a key forward on the Eagles site.

Are you saying there are no options to develop?

Darling retires, Maric goes to wing or defense. Williams/Livingstone/J Williams fighting for the same role. Williams should go. Lets go 3 years time. Id like to see

HF: Hutchison, Reid, ???
FF: Waterman, Allen, Long

And then JWill/Livingstone as the reserves.

Its Bailey Willians who should be traded and Harry Barnett who should be delisted. Thats the answer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The elephant in the room is that we can't afford him to be playing in the Magoo's. We need him in our team every week because we lack so much depth. This is why is shits me so many are ragging on him. We are making him play roles that aren't necessarily his strengths. He goes back to wafl as an inside mid and gets 35 then the week after the MC bring him back in and he spends 30% game time in the midfield.

Personally, I would love for the MC to put both Chesser and ginbey on the half back flanks where they can get there hands on the ball more regularly and build some confidence. Do what north and pies did with daicos and sheezel.....both spending there entire first year on half back. Cheeser is a better runner and ball user than witherden and ginbey is as good overhead and not afraid of the ball/contest like rotham.

New back 6
Hough gov ginbey
Chesser barrass hunt.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Saints couldn’t probably either but they did and got results

Why are we trading 25 yo, when we are trying to get that age bracket in?

TB is the one if we want value imo

Every good player?

Its actually only the ones that may think twice and look elsewhere being discussed. Some already been discussed in the media. Others may come about because we get a little more gun shy of long term big deals, as others have mentioned.

We likely see a change of coach this season IMO and that also leads to player movement and not extending big contracts until the next coach comes in..

We simply wont be the accomodating club of the past, we cant afford to be so lets not be surprised if a couple of players are playing elsewhere in 2025.

Trading out 25 year olds for mid teens picks that AFL can give us for free isnt bold. Just stupid in my eyes

Bold decision I think is trading out Ryan to Fremantle for a 1st round pick. A older guy whose been injured + we can offer the incentive of free salary cap space for to increase his value tendold, picking up someone as a salary dump (Rory Atkins is ideal) also.

Thats the type of moves to make. Having the worst 22 in the AFL then trading multiple people away from it isnt a good move

Catch 22 isn't it. Saying that with the players I mentioned we still have seniors all over the park, midfield strong, Gov down back, Allen up forward.

Besides that really good stretch earlier in the season where we challenged the Swans and won some games I can't see how we're improved all that much this year from the last. It's diabolical again and I'm frustrated.

I hear you man. I don't understand how we could play such imperfect-but-exciting footy for a stretch of a month and then entirely shit the bed all over again.

So solution to our woes is to trade any good players we have. To make us even worse.

Why don’t we just blind fold young players and send them out. You need seasoned players to fast track.

Don’t know about you lot, perhaps you all have higher IQ than me but I have never learnt anything quicker by NOT having anyone explain it who has done it before. Apparently that doesn’t matter in football?
Going to the draft with just the picks we've earned from just being rubbish isn't going to be enough, sure we might get a priority pick or 2 and may land a free agent but we need to generate more picks and Ryan's not helping us win more games atm.

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree with all this except value Waterman higher and I do think he’d move for a big payday with Melbourne having plenty of cap space. A forwards line of Oscar, JWill and Archer is more than functional with JD to start in the Beagles. Tough decisions need to be made and I’m glad Pyke is overseeing this.

GCS
WCE IN: 7, 8, Davies
WCE OUT: F1, Ryan

MELB
WCE OUT: Waterman, BWilliams
WCE IN: Pick 9ish, Trent Rivers

BULLDOGS
WCE OUT: Barrass, Petruccelle
WCE IN: Pick 12ish, 28, Garcia

Draft: 2,7,8,9,12,23,28,58

FOS, Travaglia, Reid, Lalor, O’Farrell, Lindsay, Mraz, Champion match.

Lets be honest, be lucky for one of theae deals to come off. All three.....no chance.

That said.

Rivers will go to Freo if he comes home.

Tholstrop however?

Gold Coast feel we may do something there. Ryan may work.

Is TB too big a loss for 12 and 28? Gov out with busted ribs again.

Darling retires, Maric goes to wing or defense. Williams/Livingstone/J Williams fighting for the same role. Williams should go. Lets go 3 years time. Id like to see

HF: Hutchison, Reid, ???
FF: Waterman, Allen, Long

And then JWill/Livingstone as the reserves.

Its Bailey Willians who should be traded and Harry Barnett who should be delisted. Thats the answer

B Williams if he has value we should try to encourage him to leave. He isn’t going to be #1 ruck and tbh we have better forwards who can chop out.

Barnett, give him time. If we need to chop one then CJ.

Maric - how we haven’t tried him back is insane. Taller than Witherden, faster, a better kick. It just seems an obvious move (and if Gov can mentor him who knows how good he can become - if he can be an intercept player he could be so so damaging).

Darling, needs the Gaff treatment with hopefully the same attitude. Likely to play wafl most of 2025 but will come in where needed and appropriate.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes because there is no quick fix, this is a 5-10 year plan and sometimes you just have to make the tough calls, Hawks are further along on the rebuild because they did it, Pies won a flag by doing it.

Not sure anyone has suggested get rid of everyone but we have 3 or 4 players with rumours already existing about that could net us some very valuable draft picks/players to put us in a better rebuilding position.

Every good player?

No issue with moving some on that have currency, if open to moving. Getting rid of our good key forwards is a bit of lunacy though.

Could handle Waterman moving on but a couple are suggesting Allen should be moved on for more currency.

Who replaces him?

We get kicked int he dick enough as it is. Moving both our best goal-kickers will just amplify the issue.

So they move on. Then what? Nobody to replace them with?

Anyone too old to be part of our next flag should potentially be asked to look for a another opportunity if it's there and it benefits the club draft-wise but you can't have every one of them out the door, especially if they're int eh mid 20s age-bracket.

I think all clubs have been spooked by the experiences of north recently, and probably melbourne and the expansion clubs before that. Clearing decks and putting a bunch of kids out there puts you in the wilderness for a long time. I think all clubs will be reluctant to completely "bottom out".

The way we're going about it at the moment there's an obvious strategy of keeping some experience around and achieving some sort of "soft landing". Problem is they don't seem to have fully accepted the fact we've been in the middle of the hardest landing possible for about 3 years. The chance to achieve some sort of smooth transition is long gone and the club is going to have to embrace a long painful youthful rebuild.

Back