List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
I know hindsight is 20/20, but Phillipou with 26 + a goal today leading the Saints to a comeback win over Swans.

Was available at the Ginbey pick. Not dumping on Reubs, but right now I wouldn't mind having the Pou.
The Poo got dropped, asked to be left in the twos for an extended period of time just so he can develop at purely being an Inside Mid instead of coming back to AFL to be a high half forward.

For me, Ginbey needs the same treatment of just going back and dominating wafl for a month without the pressure. Afterall, he’s only in his second year.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but Phillipou with 26 + a goal today leading the Saints to a comeback win over Swans.

Was available at the Ginbey pick. Not dumping on Reubs, but right now I wouldn't mind having the Pou.
He did just spend 6 weeks in the VFL because he has been very average all year. That game yesterday could be the making of him though

The Poo got dropped, asked to be left in the twos for an extended period of time just so he can develop at purely being an Inside Mid instead of coming back to AFL to be a high half forward.

For me, Ginbey needs the same treatment of just going back and dominating wafl for a month without the pressure. Afterall, he’s only in his second year.
The elephant in the room is that we can't afford him to be playing in the Magoo's. We need him in our team every week because we lack so much depth. This is why is shits me so many are ragging on him. We are making him play roles that aren't necessarily his strengths. He goes back to wafl as an inside mid and gets 35 then the week after the MC bring him back in and he spends 30% game time in the midfield.

Personally, I would love for the MC to put both Chesser and ginbey on the half back flanks where they can get there hands on the ball more regularly and build some confidence. Do what north and pies did with daicos and sheezel.....both spending there entire first year on half back. Cheeser is a better runner and ball user than witherden and ginbey is as good overhead and not afraid of the ball/contest like rotham.

New back 6
Hough gov ginbey
Chesser barrass hunt.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don’t know much about the upcoming draft crop, but we need to prioritise pace and highly skilled players.

We have more than enough blokes, who try hard and compete, we need some class by hand and foot.

I think Cumming would add that quality, but apart from this board, I haven’t seen us linked to him at all.

Who are the best ball users in this crop?

People seriously need to stop stressing about ginbey. He is the 5th best player in the 19-20 age bracket according to AFL player ratings. Also been played out of position in recent times.

He is tracking fine. He’s obviously no wardlaw or sheezel but he doesn’t have to be. (As long as hewett returns).

I don’t know much about the upcoming draft crop, but we need to prioritise pace and highly skilled players.

We have more than enough blokes, who try hard and compete, we need some class by hand and foot.

I think Cumming would add that quality, but apart from this board, I haven’t seen us linked to him at all.

Who are the best ball users in this crop?
FOS, MReid, Lindsay with Travaglia not far off and I want all of them. Langford has also kicked quite well during the champs.

People seriously need to stop stressing about ginbey. He is the 5th best player in the 19-20 age bracket according to AFL player ratings. Also been played out of position in recent times.

He is tracking fine. He’s obviously no wardlaw or sheezel but he doesn’t have to be. (As long as hewett returns).
People just desperate for him to become the next Patrick Cripps because we have nothing else to hang our hat on.

Same people who stress about Ginbey are the same people who think we can be playing finals in 2026 I find. They want a quick fix that isnt there

I would trade Ryan. He has captial value that would bring in either positional need like you said or a decent draft pick.

Would think its Freo, Brisbane or Gold Coast as more logical options for Ryan. Warmer and Qld a bit more laid back. Lions 1st likely in the teens and the steak knives player we cannot name. ;) :thumbsu:

Suns one of their 1sts with something going back, depends on the 1st.

Freo - one of their 1sts. Area of need to focus on.

The small forward market may get busy this period.

Now if we were super aggressive we would look at a Waterman trade. Taking the emotion out of it. He is now arguably at his highest trade value. Essendons 1st plus Nick Bryan. Maybe some later picks or swaps depending on the 1st.

Waterman's@ market value and trade value now would be what realistically?

Ryan, Darling (phased out in 2025) and Waterman out means opportunity for J Williams, A Reid, Long and Maric to develop. Plus Ryan's half forward spot is needed for developing a Hewett or our 2024 1st pick.

For the kids to get developed something needs to give.

Would think its Freo, Brisbane or Gold Coast as more logical options for Ryan. Warmer and Qld a bit more laid back. Lions 1st likely in the teens and the steak knives player we cannot name. ;) :thumbsu:

Suns one of their 1sts with something going back, F3rd.

Freo - one of their 1sts. Area of need to focus on.

The small forward market may get busy this period.

Now if we were super aggressive we would look at a Waterman trade. Taking the emotion out of it. He is now arguably at his highest trade value. Essendons 1st plus Nick Bryan. Maybe some later picks or swaps depending on the 1st.

Waterman market value and trade value now would be what realistically?

Ryan, Darling (phased out in 2025) and Waterman out means opportunity for J Williams, A Reid, Long and Maric to develop. Plus Ryan's half forward spot is needed for developing a Hewett or our 1st pick to develop.

For the kids to get developed something needs to give.
Ryan needs to be moved on for a 1st rounder where we cover a large part of his salary

Waterman just wont have enough value in a trade for what we will miss out on. We would only be getting a pick in the teens and then stuck with another season of Darling as a result (A.Reid needs 1 more full season in the WAFL)

For Maric id like develop him in other positions besides forward so would remove him from that list.

Ryans half forward spot just goes to Hutchison in all reality. Give him a full season at it and see how we go

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I fear we still have people at the club who thinks with a fit list we could play finals, hopefully its clear to them that is not the case and it's time to rip the bandaid off and start again, as it stands we'll be 10 years away from finals but by being ruthless we could cut that by half.

No new deal for Barrass and if the option presents let him leave and bring in a good kid and draft pick, where there's smoke...
Ryan can also go, a top 25 pick would be a win.
I'd love for a club to offer a bucket load of cash to Duggan to trigger band 1.
We ideally need 5 top 30 picks in this years draft
Be aggressive towards free agents who can improve our team and right age profile.
I am not against Waterman leaving and right now is his absolute best value.

Ryan needs to be moved on for a 1st rounder where we cover a large part of his salary

Waterman just wont have enough value in a trade for what we will miss out on. We would only be getting a pick in the teens and then stuck with another season of Darling as a result (A.Reid needs 1 more full season in the WAFL)

For Maric id like develop him in other positions besides forward so would remove him from that list.

Ryans half forward spot just goes to Hutchison in all reality. Give him a full season at it and see how we go

If Jake finishes off the season as he is playing he will kick over 50 goals.

IMO his trade value may surprise.

I fear we still have people at the club who thinks with a fit list we could play finals, hopefully its clear to them that is not the case and it's time to rip the bandaid off and start again, as it stands we'll be 10 years away from finals but by being ruthless we could cut that by half.

No new deal for Barrass and if the option presents let him leave and bring in a good kid and draft pick, where there's smoke...
Ryan can also go, a top 25 pick would be a win.
I'd love for a club to offer a bucket load of cash to Duggan to trigger band 1.
We ideally need 5 top 30 picks in this years draft
Be aggressive towards free agents who can improve our team and right age profile.
I am not against Waterman leaving and right now is his absolute best value.

I don't have a view one way or the other here, but as a thought exercise: assume we brought in 5 highly-fancied kids this year at the expense of those older blokes you named. Do you worry about them getting too exposed, too quickly? I often think about the young crop Neeld had at Melbourne and thought they just got pounded into the ground because of a lack of senior bodies around them.

I don't have a view one way or the other here, but as a thought exercise: assume we brought in 5 highly-fancied kids this year at the expense of those older blokes you named. Do you worry about them getting too exposed, too quickly? I often think about the young crop Neeld had at Melbourne and thought they just got pounded into the ground because of a lack of senior bodies around them.

Catch 22 isn't it. Saying that with the players I mentioned we still have seniors all over the park, midfield strong, Gov down back, Allen up forward.

Besides that really good stretch earlier in the season where we challenged the Swans and won some games I can't see how we're improved all that much this year from the last. It's diabolical again and I'm frustrated.

If Jake finishes off the season as he is playing he will kick over 50 goals.

IMO his trade value may surprise.
What is that good value. A mid teens pick wont be enough to bother in my eyes. Id rather just demand AFL give us 2 end of first round draft picks and keep Waterman for example

What is that good value. A mid teens pick wont be enough to bother in my eyes. Id rather just demand AFL give us 2 end of first round draft picks and keep Waterman for example
Melbourne are very interested if media reports are to be believed so they can pay through the teeth.

WCE OUT: Waterman, BWilliams
WCE IN: Pick 9ish, Trent Rivers

Otherwise if he maintains his form a band 1 contract will be offered next year so we should absolutely not extend him (or Barrass).

Last edited:
Melbourne are very interested if media reports are to be believed so they can pay through the teeth.

WCE OUT: Waterman, BWilliams
WCE IN: Pick 9ish, Trent Rivers

Otherwise if he maintains those form a band 1 contract will be offered next year so we should absolutely not extend him (or Barrass).
No way Melbourne give that up. Id deadset wet myself over that offer so yeah im taking that.

In reality all we get is like a F1st rounder type offer

No way Melbourne give that up. Id deadset wet myself over that offer so yeah im taking that.

In reality all we get is like a F1st rounder type offer
Yep as I said, they can pay through the teeth otherwise they can roll through their golden generation with one flag and no hope of another until the next cycle.

My absolute preference is to hold on to Waterman and hope for a Band 1 deal next year which will almost certainly mean two picks in the top 3.

Essendons 1st plus Nick Bryan.

That 1st gets a Travaglia/Bo Allen/ Langford nice spot the late teens.

Catch 22 isn't it. Saying that with the players I mentioned we still have seniors all over the park, midfield strong, Gov down back, Allen up forward.

Besides that really good stretch earlier in the season where we challenged the Swans and won some games I can't see how we're improved all that much this year from the last. It's diabolical again and I'm frustrated.
Ryan late first rounder 18?
Waterman mid/late first rounder 14
And I would be surprised if there is a contracted player requesting a trade.

Ryan is replaceable. Champion might be that player. Dewar. Johnstone.

Waterman replaceable. Allen and Jack Williams locked in for 25. Get archer reid to a level he can step in occasionally. BW as back up.

Darling can be payed out or traded....gonsky. I recom there is a couple of teams who would use him differently to the way we do, and would add value to there forward lines. Pies, Saints, north. Early third rounder maybe

Apply for couple end of first round PP to trade.

Draft
2, 14,18, 23

PP for Baker and Carrol.
Pay a mill front ended for Cummings, and 600 for another 4yrs.

We have make tough decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back