List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman are set to sign new deals (Code Sports)
    • Allen is due to become a free agent at the end of next season, but is working on a six-year extension
    • Waterman will sign a four year deal, which is "heavily incentives based" and could see him earn up to $1m per year

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I'm saying. I don't want Baker. Hopefully Freo offers a pick to Richmond they can't refuse. To
I think a lot will depend on what Baker's preference is. Although I think hed be good for us, with the quality of this draft, I'd not want to be going past a Whitlock or Alex Dodson due to giving up pick 13 - 18. If we are going to finish bottom 3 again, then I'd rather be drafting potential stars than getting a good solid player like Baker who, at this stage of our development, isn't worth more than a late first or 23 and a F2.
This could potentially rival the 2001 super draft so we need to do whatever is necessary to gain and retain as many picks as possible.

Claremont colts dominant in WA, Sandringham dominant in Victoria.

What is the equivalent toffs club in the SANFL? Do their juniors dominate the U18 competition?

Must be something to do with the footy programs in place at the PSA and APS schools. Significant opportunities for these privileged kids with ex AFL players/coaches in footy roles at these schools.
Probably out of Norwood or Sturt if you had to select an area.

Centrals down the bottom, and South’s probably just above them. (Both the furthest distance away from the CBD).

WWT Eagles probably the best run colts program over the last 10 years but pretty even in the SANFL colts. South just had a decent patch, (JHF and Sid) Centrals now going through a decent patch now. 2 likely top 3 picks in 2025/26.

I really don’t know too much about the PSA in SA but don’t think it’s on the same level as WA and Vic. Henley High is a ‘public school’ but offer next level sports academy. Recent Alumni include Philipou, Rankine and Lukosius

I think a lot will depend on what Baker's preference is. Although I think hed be good for us, with the quality of this draft, I'd not want to be going past a Whitlock or Alex Dodson due to giving up pick 13 - 18. If we are going to finish bottom 3 again, then I'd rather be drafting potential stars than getting a good solid player like Baker who, at this stage of our development, isn't worth more than a late first or 23 and a F2.
This could potentially rival the 2001 super draft so we need to do whatever is necessary to gain and retain as many picks as possible.
If we gave up 23 and a f2 the list management team need to hand in their resignation

I come in peace also,

I’m trying to understand why Richmond would do this deal? Hawks F1 will probably be 14-18 next year plus pick 3 for 6, 9 & Baker???

That’s a lot to give up for a 3 pick upgrade in an even draft.
Plz for the love of god just keep Baker. This rhetoric that a roleplayer is worth anything close to a first round pick is mind boggling.

I come in peace also,

I’m trying to understand why Richmond would do this deal? Hawks F1 will probably be 14-18 next year plus pick 3 for 6, 9 & Baker???

That’s a lot to give up for a 3 pick upgrade in an even draft.
Since Ralphy mention that pick 3 might be used to slide back with Richmond in the Baker trade some supporters have run with it as Richmond are desperate or at least very keen to get 2 of the top 3 picks, Maybe pair FOS and Jagga.

In that trade I would also say majority would also see F1 (14-18) to be a lot for Baker. Which is also hard to argue if Bailey Smith is only worth pick 15.

Probably out of Norwood or Sturt if you had to select an area.

Centrals down the bottom, and South’s probably just above them. (Both the furthest distance away from the CBD).

WWT Eagles probably the best run colts program over the last 10 years but pretty even in the SANFL colts. South just had a decent patch, (JHF and Sid) Centrals now going through a decent patch now. 2 likely top 3 picks in 2025/26.

I really don’t know too much about the PSA in SA but don’t think it’s on the same level as WA and Vic. Henley High is a ‘public school’ but offer next level sports academy. Recent Alumni include Philipou, Rankine and Lukosius
PAC produces a lot of AFL talent from tye priv schools but they also give out a ton of scholarships

Since Ralphy mention that pick 3 might be used to slide back with Richmond in the Baker trade some supporters have run with it as Richmond are desperate or at least very keen to get 2 of the top 3 picks, Maybe pair FOS and Jagga.

In that trade I would also say majority would also see F1 (14-18) to be a lot for Baker. Which is also hard to argue if Bailey Smith is only worth pick 15.
I understand what you’re saying. But 6 + 9 in an even draft to get an upgrade to 3 would be a shocking call. Club should fold if that happens.

PAC produces a lot of AFL talent from tye priv schools but they also give out a ton of scholarships
historically it was scared heart in the 90s, then St Peter’s had a bit of a run on in the 00s. For the past 5-10 years PAC decided they’d go down the route of just packing its first 18 with scholarships so they’re currently pumping out most recruits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plz for the love of god just keep Baker. This rhetoric that a roleplayer is worth anything close to a first round pick is mind boggling.

Seriously. I swear to God I slipped into a different timeline where Liam Baker was prime Dusty or something...what the hell's going on?

I'm hoping he chooses Freo.

We should make the call to Crossley even if its rookie spot.
of all the
If we gave up 23 and a f2 the list management team need to hand in their resignation
I made that statement on the assumption that 23 will blow out by at least 4-5 picks, possibly to 30 or more after FS, Academy and FA compensation picks. Even GC 1st round pick 20 will end up at least mid-20s

Yes. But giving the Hawks F1 (14-18) is the sweetner for tigers giving 6 9 for 3.

We got 8 12 for pick 2.

No way we would get 6 9 for 3 as a one off trade.

The sweetener would be the upgrade from what most suspect is bakers worth (23), which we would then keep, at the cost of the Hawks F1. In other words we down graded pick 14 to 23 to upgrade to 6 9

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

historically it was scared heart in the 90s, then St Peter’s had a bit of a run on in the 00s. For the past 5-10 years PAC decided they’d go down the route of just packing its first 18 with scholarships so they’re currently pumping out most recruits.
PAC have been doing it for much longer than that. I left school over a decade ago but that year was the first time in like a decade Saints beat PAC in an intercol. I left Adelaide a decade ago and have lost contact as well as not been paying attention to whats going on there but I’ve noticed there’s been a sudden rise of kids being drafted from Saints too. So possibly they’ve ramped up their scholarship too

Yeah, Rostrevor, SH, St Peter’s are all decent programs. All of their Ammo’s Old collegian/Scholars team have come along way too. Points system helps that now.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back