List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman are set to sign new deals (Code Sports)
    • Allen is due to become a free agent at the end of next season, but is working on a six-year extension
    • Waterman will sign a four year deal, which is "heavily incentives based" and could see him earn up to $1m per year

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
One giant issue is Liam Baker is a flanker. We do not need anymore flankers.... I cant express that any stronger. Its the LAST spot we need to look at

Id rather we spend our time on a guy like Neil Erasmus who we should be making a big offer for
If WC were of a mind to make big offers to anyone, surely there's more (much more) attractive options than Erasmus.

If freo and wce relations are good..

I think I read somewhere (cant remember where) freo could offer a first to North for their f1 to help with Chad at the end of 2025. If we concede we we won't get Chad, we could throw our f1 to freo for their pick 10 and reidy. We'd still have our first tied to Hawks in 2025 so it wouldn't hamstring us too much

Wce out F1
Wce in Travaglia + Reidy

Looking fwd to the melting over this suggestion
Your proposal has possibilites.

Should be trading BW for around #40 if we did this.

I think it will be the other way. Baker would be their first choice but might all come down to who makes a decision first, if they haven’t already.
Oh, he's the best player of that lot, but it's a question of what we should pay.

I'd rather pick up Parfitt (free), Peatling (Free), Dev Rob (pick 50+), and take pick 23 to the draft, than not get the free guys and also use pick 23 on Baker.

If WC were of a mind to make big offers to anyone, surely there's more (much more) attractive options than Erasmus.
Such as? That well is very dry im afraid. Id much rather we offer Eramus a 4 year deal then Jack Graham at this stage. Give up some of the draft captial we were going to use for lIam Baker for Erasmus. Replace Liam Baker by just grabbing Parfitt as a free agent

Erasmus + Parfitt + keeping better draft picks is a much better situation then Baker + Graham

I think I read somewhere (cant remember where) freo could offer a first to North for their f1 to help with Chad at the end of 2025. If we concede we we won't get Chad, we could throw our f1 to freo for their pick 10 and reidy. We'd still have our first tied to Hawks in 2025 so it wouldn't hamstring us too much

Wce out F1
Wce in Travaglia + Reidy

Trading a likely top 3 pick for pick 10 and a WAFL ruck, just to do freo a solid and help them land Warner? Give me a spell

Wce out F1
Wce in Travaglia + Reidy

Oh dear god that just makes me feel sick, can you imagine doing that and finishing last next year and them getting pick 1😂

Wce out F1
Wce in Travaglia + Reidy

That is utterly horrendous.

Essentially trading a top 3 pick for pick 10 and a rookie ruckman.

Oh dear god that just makes me feel sick, can you imagine doing that and finishing last next year and them getting pick 1😂
Back the team in to do better than last.

Reidy and Travalgia would be two pretty handy additions in areas of need.

We clearly need a ready made ruck (not a kid) and Reidy is there playing WAFL like Meek was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back the team in to do better than last.

Reidy and Travalgia would be two pretty handy additions in areas of need.

We clearly need a ready made ruck (not a kid) and Reidy is there playing WAFL like Meek was.
We need mids. Ruckmen are overrated, unless you have Gawn/peak NicNat.

Yep. Don't give up top 5 picks for ruckmen, unless they are a clear standout(like Nic).

Jackson's proving to not be worth it.
Jackson has been a pretty handy player so far and is still only 22

We are getting smashed out of the centre and other ruck contests every week. Behind the eight ball as soon as the ball is bounced/thrown up.

Need to at least break even.
Giving a likely top 3 pick as part of a trade to pick up a rookie ruckman because his WAFL numbers are decent would simply be pure desperation.

Williams was fine last year in the ruck, having him train and build himself for a forward role this year, before having to ruck the entire season, would've massively impacted his ability to compete.

Just needs to be told he's the #1 ruck and actually build his body for the role so he can hold his own against bigger bodies.

Xerri was pure trash up until this year, as an example. He put on size and got a good run at it and dominated after maturing.l

Reidy for a late pick, sure. If we traded our F1st and all we got were #10 and Reidy, I'd be filthy.

Giving a likely top 3 pick as part of a trade to pick up a rookie ruckman because his WAFL numbers are decent would simply be pure desperation.

Williams was fine last year in the ruck, having him train and build himself for a forward role this year, before having to ruck the entire season, would've massively impacted his ability to compete.

Just needs to be told he's the #1 ruck and actually build his body for the role so he can hold his own against bigger bodies.

Xerri was pure trash up until this year, as an example. He put on size and got a good run at it and dominated after maturing.l

Reidy for a late pick, sure. If we traded our F1st and all we got were #10 and Reidy, I'd be filthy.
Yes, may want more.

I think you are pretty optimistic about Bailey though. He was not fine in the ruck last year. He was getting a bath most weeks, and was probably the lowest rated #1 ruck in the league.

If he could reach anything nearing Xerri’s level that would be great. He can take a mark but then he usually stuffs the kick up.

Last edited:
Oh, he's the best player of that lot, but it's a question of what we should pay.

I'd rather pick up Parfitt (free), Peatling (Free), Dev Rob (pick 50+), and take pick 23 to the draft, than not get the free guys and also use pick 23 on Baker.
Peatling won’t be free and with the contract offers he is getting they might want something semi decent in return now. Might cost a downgrade of 23? Not sure we can get it down with a 4th rounder and if the F2 is going in the TB trade not sure we would be keen on throwing in a F3 as we might need those points as they will be hard to get.

Do think that sort of thinking is where we have to go. No teens pick for Baker

We don’t actually have that many around Baker’s age (27 next year)

Darling and Barrass are both on their way out. Jones and Trew have been delisted with Rotham, L Edwards and possibly Witherden likely to follow. Gaff has retired

That leaves (age next year) :

33 - McGovern, Cripps
32 - Yeo
31 - Kelly
30 - Hunt, Sheed
29 - Ryan, Duggan
28 - Cole, Flynn
27 - Waterman
26 - Allen, Petruccelle
25 - B Williams, Jamieson, H Edwards
24 - Hutchinson
23 - Brockman

That’s 18 over 23 with the remaining 26 of the squad post draft to be 22 and under - less any mature talent like Baker and Graham we bring in

Baker walks into our best 22 and would be there for the next 5 years so it’s understandable why we’re looking at him. Ideally our F2 gets a trade done or (reluctantly) pick 23 which I’d prefer to use in the draft

Then there’s a myriad of other proposals using multiple picks or a third club - I posted one earlier that had us receiving Baker plus picks 13,30 and 39 for Barrass plus picks 23 and 59

I get that people are wary of us overpaying but Baker does fill a need provided he comes at a reasonable cost which we’ll just have to wait and see what that is
The ironic part is that most supporters are keen for us to offload just about any players in that 27-30 age bracket for draft picks or younger role-specific players. So spending draft capital for a non-role-specific 27 year old feels counter intuitive. If he was a FA and fit a specific need (like Hunt did with his speed) then great.

Richmond are doing with Baker what has been encouraged for us to do with Barass, Ryan and anyone else with currency who isn’t a captain or part of our spine going forward.

One giant issue is Liam Baker is a flanker. We do not need anymore flankers.... I cant express that any stronger. Its the LAST spot we need to look at

Id rather we spend our time on a guy like Neil Erasmus who we should be making a big offer for
Erasmus sits slightly above Garcia, Dev and Carroll for mine. 26 disposals and 11 tackles in the WAFL GF is very solid. Has racked up huge disposal numbers all year which is something we lack. If his ball use isn’t great then just get him to tackle and dish out to Harley. Erasmus is not getting a game at Freo any time soon if Bolton and Baker join the mid rotations, even if Fyfe calls time and JOM plays WAFL.

Wce out F1
Wce in Travaglia + Reidy

I’d rather Freo use their remaining (apparently bottomless) salary cap and picks on Bolton and Baker then WCE do the deal for NM F1 with Chad in our sights for next year. Wouldn’t be going out of our way to help Freo land a target we should be going hard for.

Yes, may want more.

I think you are pretty optimistic about Bailey though.
If he could reach anything nearing Xerri’s level that would be great. He can take a mark but then he usually stuffs the kick up.
Xerri was basically garbage before this year. He never had a year as good as Bailey's 2023, which people on here thought was bog average.

Rucks take way longer than any other position to develop.

Reidy's 2 months younger than Williams and has played a grand total of 2 AFL games.

Not sure why people are frothing over him. He may end up a good ruckman with exposure, he may not.

Erasmus issue is Brayshaw is his exact carbon copy. It fits into the same issue Matthew Kennedy has at Carlton. You cant play too many of that type in the same midffield

I dont think Erasmus is competing with Fyfe in the sense that Fyfe will be replaced by Shai Bolton. You cant compete with a guy thats being replaced already in that sense. Fyfes issue is he lost his ability to play up forward which is what they need one of the mids to do. Bolton will do that.

I dont think Eagles have that midfielder in our ranks, especially in regards to handballs out from the contest + inside tackling. He comes into the best 22 without any competition for his role. It should be a easy sell.... if we had the staff competent enough to sell our club....

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back