List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Suns asking for MORE than pick 6 for Rioli is crazy

Sure is. One year someone's gotta sit them down and explain how negotiation works.

Sometimes yes, the truly elite HBFs are generally HBFs from the start though. Their ball use and speed generally gets them put there from an early age. I do think the game has changed in the last few years to a spot where you want your best outside players at half back, rather than further up the ground like wouldve been the case 10 years ago.
You can argue the half backs are failed mids, but really they were just half backs to begin with. Its a different skillset, arguably more important.

While it might be one of the highest ceiling roles, imo its also one of the easiest to fill with competent players. Geelong will always be the example I go back to, theyve got a bunch of plodders and 35 year old Dangerfield in the middle. Look at their 2022 midfield and its the same, but with 34 year old Selwood and 32 year old Danger. Look at Collingwood last year, it was Daicos, DeGoey and a bunch of slow boring defensive mids who did roles.
If we have Harley, Hewett and a top 4 pick next year, that should already be enough to win a premiership as long as we have our other lines sorted. Lets be honest we arent going out to draft role players with first round picks, we are drafting the more offensive players. 2-3 of those is all we need.
We can trade in more role players as we move up the ladder too for relatively cheap.

I agree I see HEdwards and Bazzo as our talls, and I have very little confidence in our KPDs, im sure theyll both be capable but dont have any faith theyll be A-graders.
To me, your 3 years time needs wings more than anything. Guys like Travaglia, Maric, Ginbey and Duggan id much prefer to have on a wing than Chesser or Dewar.
Benefit of drafting the half back types is they can often also play wing, and our current defenders can also play on a wing

Im not just looking at it from the perspective of 3 years time, im also looking at our list for 2025 and 2026.
FB Hough HEdwards Duggan
HB Maric Gov Ginbey
-Cole bench
Bazzo and Witherden are the only 2 other defenders on the list, assuming we even put Maric into the backline. A clear need for depth. We have just delisted a couple of defenders and Rotham is more than likely gone.

If we secured Parfitt and Dev for example as 2 mature age mids who cost basically nothing, we have a midfield roster of Yeo, Kelly, Reid, Hall, Parfitt, Dev and Hewett to work with. Add guys like Hutch and Chesser we have enough to form a competent midfield. Parfitt and Dev are defensively minded enough to be accountable at stoppages, meaning we dont get thrashed in there as often.
Add a top pick mid or Warner in 2025 draft and what else do we really need in there?
Draft another mid in 2026 with whatever pick we end up with and we have plenty of young talent coming through, we dont need exclusively top 10 pick mids

In my mind thats our midfield sorted

We want to be competitive, we need to. We need to start playing a modern gamestyle, we cant do that if we dont have players who can perform it. That means speed and transition.
I can see the new coach having a very rough time if we cant give him a decent list.

Tldr: My thinking is we need a few A-graders(potential AA calibre) all over the park. We have a couple in the forward line, we have Harley in the midfield, and we have nobody in the backline. We might have Hewett, and im assuming our 2025 1st pick gets us another Agrade mid, so 2-3 in the midfield.
A good team needs at least 6 lets say. If we split that up lets aim for at least 2 fwds, 2 mids, and 2 defenders.
Means we just need to find defenders. Cant just rely on finding another Gov or Barrass later in the draft, reality is most clubs dont find them at all.

All the melting over hypotheticals was getting old :tearsofjoy:

Good post, still don’t agree 100% this is the best way to play this draft based on subjective valuations of players, but it’s a legitimate option to go this way.

If we managed to get Peatling and parfitt, I would be in your camp. Travaglia, Tauru and Lindsay would become the target players in the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The AFL has announced the teams for the 2024 Marsh AFL National Futures Boys match which will be played at the MCG on Saturday ahead of the 2024 Toyota AFL Grand Final.

Seven WA players have been selected to feature in the Futures match which have been named after recently retired AFL stars Dyson Heppell and Rory Sloane.

Charlie Banfield, Wes Walley, Fred Rodriguez, Cody Curtin, Toby Whan, Koby Evans, Blake Kelly will arrive in Melbourne today and will train at the NEC Hangar.

HOW TO WATCH
The 2024 Marsh AFL National Futures Boys match will be broadcast live and free on the AFL website and AFL Live Official App.

I think Elite Pete suggestion of 64 for Dev would get it done. I’d rather swap F4s but Lions will want points this year.
Lions need some points for next year too. However this year points are attached to picks up to pick 73 and next year that drops to pick 54 which is borderline above Dev’s value anyway. So a late pick this year makes sense. Surely they cut him loose without much fuss.

If we dont want to lose a 2024 pick for Dev, why not something like pick 59 or 64 for Dev and pick 69 that Brisbane have from the Hawks, or even pick 66 if the Lions get it from Richmond as part of splitting their 1st pick for points.
Pretty inconsequential and might be irrelevant anyway

It’s Jon Ralph. He also said in the same article that St Kilda wouldn’t pay pick 43 for McCrae but would be happy to pay a 3R draft pick. 43 is a 3R draft pick. He’s almost as stupid as McClure.

I think Elite Pete suggestion of 64 for Dev would get it done. I’d rather swap F4s but Lions will want points this year.
Yeah not much difference really, ideally 4th round pick swap but If we cut deep enough to open up spots we will create a 5th rd pick that will be pretty close anyway.

A lot of water to go under the bridge , do Lions need that 4th round pick for points? Do they have enough list spots to even use it ect.

Won’t be much either way if we want him and he asks for a trade to us.

Good addition imo and will put to rest if he is good enough or not. Will be a whipping boy but those sort of players normally are anyway.

I dont think the difference in ability is that much between Travaglia and Draper who everyone is so keen on for example.
Id argue Travaglia fits our list needs more than Draper.

In an even draft does it not make more sense to get as many list holes filled as possible, then next year when the top end might be a bit more separated we can go for the best mid possible?

We can make a competent midfield that could last us a few years with cheap moneyball recruiting.
We will struggle to do that with the backline
Travaglia reminds me alot like Will Day in his draft year.

Seems like a weird cross road we are at. A bit depends If McQualter gets the gig and let’s say as indicated by a lot of the media Baker and Bolton (less likely but weird he hasn’t ‘officially’ nominated yet) want to follow.

Pyke has Warner on the hook for end of next season. Would be a huge pivot to where we are think our list will go and a lot of ifs but a top 5 players of
Warner
Harley
Bolton
Waterman (if 2024 continues)
Oscar

Last edited:
Ideally we can package either Petch or Bailey Williams into the Baker trade so we can lessen the draft pick required.
Culley to Richmond has been mentioned too. Would happily give him another year at WC but bringing in a couple of Dev/Garcia/Carroll types would be an upgrade and push him further down the list. Getting Blight coming back our way from the Tigers as KPD depth would also be a handy swap for Culley.

The AFL has announced the teams for the 2024 Marsh AFL National Futures Boys match which will be played at the MCG on Saturday ahead of the 2024 Toyota AFL Grand Final.

Seven WA players have been selected to feature in the Futures match which have been named after recently retired AFL stars Dyson Heppell and Rory Sloane.

Charlie Banfield, Wes Walley, Fred Rodriguez, Cody Curtin, Toby Whan, Koby Evans, Blake Kelly will arrive in Melbourne today and will train at the NEC Hangar.

HOW TO WATCH
The 2024 Marsh AFL National Futures Boys match will be broadcast live and free on the AFL website and AFL Live Official App.
It's imperative that our f2 doesn't get absorbed in the barass deal because we need it for next year, potentially

Culley to Richmond has been mentioned too. Would happily give him another year at WC but bringing in a couple of Dev/Garcia/Carroll types would be an upgrade and push him further down the list. Getting Blight coming back our way from the Tigers as KPD depth would also be a handy swap for Culley.
Blight for Culley would be a great swap for both teams imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out- Culley
In- Blight, pick 66

Pick 66 on traded to Brisbane for Dev

It's imperative that our f2 doesn't get absorbed in the barass deal because we need it for next year, potentially
It’s very likely it will. It will also be before our NGAs next year IMO. If we do happen to keep our F2, I’d like to trade it to GWS for pick 34 and 35 (Cumming FA pick). They should get pick 21 for Perryman giving them picks 14 and 21 to use then pick 49,52 and 70 to match a bid for Logan Smith as well as shifting resources into next year

Cody Curtin playing KPD today, but hes played a bit of KPF in the Colts too I hear. Where do people think he ends up playing, forward or back?
Or is he probably one of those ones that gets drafted as a KPF but has potential to play KPD

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back