List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
In the minority here but pretty happy to get Baker on board. I like him and he'll add a lot

Hopefully it's 13 for Baker and 21 or something along those lines. Maybe Culley gets thrown in.

SURELY, our recruiters are well aware of the quality in this draft and we don't toss all our picks away

Dusty to West Coast confirmed.
Matthew Richardson also considering coming out of retirement.

If its 13 straight up, I hope its at least Baker and Bolton for 13.
Richmond fans reading this will think its massive overs, but as is 13 for Baker straight up - considering the landscape of our list and where we are in our rebuild to be honest.

If Richmond really expect 13 for baker I’d be ensuring graham nets them start of second compo and asking for that back our way. Otherwise would pay graham proper value so they get worse compo for screwing us

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This board right now.

Entryism: entry·ism [ˈɛntrɪɪz(ə)m]

The infiltration of a football club by members of another football club, with the intention of subverting its trade and draft objectives:

Like a lot of you, I'd prefer to give Richmond our F2 for Baker and just call it a day. However, if the rumoured Barrass and Baker deals are on the money(could be way off I know), then this is how it will end up if we combine the 2 trades.

WCE out: Barrass, WCE F2
WCE in: Baker, HAW F1, 22

By going from Barrass to Baker, we get Hawthorn's F1 and upgrade our F2 into a better second a year sooner. Not exactly fold the club territory.

Why would Twomey mention Pick 13 in the same tweet as the Baker nomination? Vic-bias Speculation, or something we dont know
Need to wait for the whole deal, so many just jumping at shadows. I get there concerns especially if it was pick 13 for Baker.

I’ve said numerous times that he’s worth a second round pick in my opinion. That’s fair and reasonable for both clubs. When we see the whole deal hopefully that’s what it looks like.

In the minority here but pretty happy to get Baker on board. I like him and he'll add a lot

Hopefully it's 13 for Baker and 21 or something along those lines. Maybe Culley gets thrown in.

SURELY, our recruiters are well aware of the quality in this draft and we don't toss all our picks away
having seen Baker a lot live, he's quality. You can't see it all on tv, the team things, the example. You can't lose on that deal. Trust me.

"Pick 13 is the starting point" quite obviously means it's what Richmond will ask for, not what we will just hand over.

I wonder if the club should use this to go and ask the AFL for a priority pick that would get the deal done. Decent way for them to help two struggling clubs at once without giving up nearly as much as they did to north.

"Pick 13 is the starting point" quite obviously means it's what Richmond will ask for, not what we will just hand over.

I wonder if the club should use this to go and ask the AFL for a priority pick that would get the deal done. Decent way for them to help two struggling clubs at once without giving up nearly as much as they did to north.
Two 'struggling clubs' among the highest memberships and at least one flag in the past 5 years. Fantasy land.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope its a wild guess.

Perth Journos also "reporting" (speculating) Pick 13 as the starting point. Surely that starting point is a long way from the "finishing point"

Pick 13 is the starting point for the Barrass to Hawks deal, not Baker to the Eagles.

F**king spew and bile if the club uses 13 in any way to get L.Baker.

He's coming out of contract, has nominated West Coast and Richmond want him out the door for picks.

It's also questionable what gain the Eagles will have from trading in a player that will be 27 next year considering how far the squad is away from contending.

West Coast holds all the cards here. Time to be campaigners like Geelong at the trade table. Offer next year's F3 and nothing more.

If the Tigers don't like that, I don't give a toss. If he really wants to come to WA and Richmond won't be reasonable, we walk him to the PSD.

The club needs pick 13 far more than it ever needs L.Baker.

A fascinating prospect for 2025, likely to fall somewhere towards the pointy end of the draft. The question to be answered is where his best position will end up being, and this game didn't get us any closer to an answer. Starting off playing as a key defender, he moved up the ground in the second half to play as a midfielder and looked more assured in there having a greater influence on the game with his size, movement and penetrating boot.

Players traded out :

Barass - pick 13 is a given so it becomes what else Hawthorn attach to that as the interesting part of the trade. Pick 30 would be handy but unlikely to be offered as it would leave Hawthorn as a non factor in this draft since their first pick would be 67

Consensus seems to be we’ll ask for their F1 but with something going back. Probably our F2. If that’s the case I’d be pushing for Hawthorn’s F2 making the trade Barrass for 13,F1 and a swap of F2s (If positions are the same as 2024 then that trade is Barrass and 21 for 13,13 and 31 before shenanigans)

Darling - far simpler proposition. Would like to get 40 off North and send 59 back with Darling but that won’t happen. Instead it’s more likely to be Darling for pick 64 and thank him for his service. Maybe we haggle for 58 but it’s not much difference at that point of the draft

Rotham - a small possibility he gets picked up as a FA with a contract of sufficient length and value to generate band 5 compo which would be pick 42. We can but dream Crazy Vozzo and Rosa do us a solid with Dodoro gone

So best case scenario from the above is we hold picks 3,13,23,42,59,64 in this year’s draft plus 2xF1 picks (ours and Hawthorns), Hawthorns F2 and our F3,F4 and onwards

Then how best to use those assets in either trades or take to the draft

Trades/FA in :

FA - if we get the Rotham compensation mentioned above then Graham is no longer free as we’d lose that pick if we sign Graham as a FA. So bypass him and chase Parfitt as a DFA who’s roughly equivalent in ability and won’t jeopardise that pick

Peatling is the dream but if he does decide to leave GWS he has better suitors than us. That makes Garcia the next best player we’ve been linked to - ideally our F3 would be enough but expect the Bulldogs to request the Rotham compo pick if that happens, which I’d do - maybe with their F4 coming back

Then Carroll or Robertson depending on which of them asks to be traded to us. Probably Robertson. Send Brisbane the 64 we got for Darling, 59 if we’re feeling benevolent

Finally, the most controversial potential acquisition - Liam Baker. He unquestionably improves our best 22 but trade cost has always been the issue. Suggestions are that it’s pick 13 for Baker and 21 which is likely fair value but I’d rather send the Hawthorn F1 instead of 13

Best case scenario from all the above is :

Out: Barrass, Darling, Rotham (with FA compo), F2
In: Baker, Garcia, Robertson, Parfitt, 21, F2(Haw), F4(WB)

Draft picks 2024 - 3,13,21,23,59
Draft picks 2025 - R1,R2(Haw),R3,R4,R4(WB)

Need to open up 9 list spots so

Barrass, Darling, Rotham - Trade/FA
Jones, Trew, Baker - Already delisted
Witherden, L Edwards, one of Culley or Burgiel - to be delisted

Would be happy if Clark can pull that off albeit I think I’d rather use/keep the picks than trade them for Baker
Pick 30 is very likely otherwise they're offering a future 1st or 2nd ...they have little interest in this draft...they're all about player movements

In all honesty if we give up pick 13 for Liam Baker im putting 100 on him to win the Brownlow.

Ill back Matt Clarke in here on this one.... cos im assuming he thinks he will win the Brownlow

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back