List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Like it or not, we’re on the clock with Harley. If Warner asked for a trade and we had our F1 and Hawks F1 on the table, I’d do it.

Take 3 to this draft ideally. Get Baker and Graham in too. All of a sudden we have good midfield depth, some star power, and a fair bit of campaigner in there too

It’s great we are on clock. If Reid was west Australian, we may be tempted to take the slow route. Like this, we are forced to hurry the f up. We need to be winning 8-10 games and showing clear improvement before he signs a long term deal.

Like it or not, we’re on the clock with Harley. If Warner asked for a trade and we had our F1 and Hawks F1 on the table, I’d do it.

Take 3 to this draft ideally. Get Baker and Graham in too. All of a sudden we have good midfield depth, some star power, and a fair bit of campaigner in there too

It's probably going to happen, just a question of whats he worth and how do we pay for it [and not overpay].

And if it's going to happen, I don't really want to be using pick 3 on some superstar kid when we are brining in up to 4 mature bodies who are going to plug up all the developments spots.

Simplest trade, pick 3 for Richmonds F1. Richmond want the our pick and it's a safe bet they finish bottom 3 next year. Trade 2 out of 3 of our f1, hawks f1 and pick 13 for Warner, go into next year's draft with pick 1. [or 2 or 3 or 4 it doesn't really matter]

Other option. Turn pick 3 into pick 6 and change via the Richmond/Suns Rioli exchange. Then we can offer 2 of pick 6, 13, our F1 Hawks F1 and Sydney have the choice which draft they want to get into.

Will be interesting to see what happens, seems like for Sydney they know they only have a year left then he's off home. Sure they can hold him to the contract but given the farse that becomes and the potential that his value plummets its probably in Sydneys interest to get the best price for him now and be done with it.

Bo Allen at 5. Ewww

I just don't see it

Agree whoever has Bo ( Callaghan) Allen at 5.

Must have pinched Dark Sharks crack pipe.

Last edited:
What clock are we on with HR? He's one season in?!

Give the club some credit for their ability to keep star players on the books (I'll asterisk out Juddy for obvious reasons).

We have 10-15 years left of this guy.

Simplest trade, pick 3 for Richmonds F1. Richmond want the our pick and it's a safe bet they finish bottom 3 next year. Trade 2 out of 3 of our f1, hawks f1 and pick 13 for Warner, go into next year's draft with pick 1. [or 2 or 3 or 4 it doesn't really matter]
Eesh. There needs to be a big sign put on our list managers office "Never trade 1st round Picks for Future Picks".

That's just a crazy idea to me.

What clock are we on with HR? He's one season in?!

Give the club some credit for their ability to keep star players on the books (I'll asterisk out Juddy for obvious reasons).

We have 10-15 years left of this guy.
^ this. I am baffled at the defeatist fans who think we've already lost him. What signs - at all -have we seen of that since he arrived? If he'd given anyone even the slightest sniff that he might want to go home it would be 24/7 discussion but it has totally dried up.

Sure he could leave at some point but we definitely shouldn't assume it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^ this. I am baffled at the defeatist fans who think we've already lost him. What signs - at all -have we seen of that since he arrived? If he'd given anyone even the slightest sniff that he might want to go home it would be 24/7 discussion but it has totally dried up.
Sure he could leave at some point but we definitely shouldn't assume it.
Yeah and maybe if I go outside I might get a cold, or sunburn, or get run over … yep I’ll just stay in bed … forever.

It really makes me wonder where some people find joy in life when the glass is always half full.

I have been kicked off of any negotiations with Richmond players and have been told to focus on other things. (AFAIK Baker and Bolton have at the very least a strained relationship)

Not overly happy with the situation.

I will be involved in trade negotiations of other players both outgoing and any potential incoming but my whole board has been thrown about hence me being so busy.

I'll give the full run down 2 days post draft.

Hope everyone enjoys their week, as you can expect i've had a very busy day so far with meetings.

I'll give people a couple of positives
1. Baker is a real team player and exudes leadership and intensity.
2. I think Graham will be a better pickup for the club than most here think and will be a better pickup for the club than Baker in regards to team balance and midfield rotations.
Seeing this article... I can understand how your last few weeks of negotiations have been affected.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back