List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
So we have 4 free list spots. Below are waiting on McQ

Alex Witherden
Luke Edwards
Josh Rotham
Coby Burgiel
Jai Culley (rookie)

My gut tells me that Edwards/Rotham/Burgiel are gone and Witherden waits til post trade period. That leaves us with 8 free spots in a weeks time. If Liam Baker is one of them along with Graham then 6 spots left... Surely we take 5 picks to the draft... All up this then leaves us with 1 free spot to be one of Garcia/Carroll/Robertson or if not then it will be Witherden

Man that is depressing reading
Only one I'd keep is Burgiel.

If we are complete and utter cowards with the Liam Baker move and do give up pick 13 id probably work our future 2nd in to get a top 30 pick

Something like

Pick 13 + future 2nd for Baker + 29 + 39

Still a horrible deal but recoverable atleast

Josh Jenkins on SEN with Scotty & Goss has just compared Liam Baker to none other than Lachie Neale.

Vic media have deadset got their hands on it about this deal.

What clock are we on with HR? He's one season in?!

Give the club some credit for their ability to keep star players on the books (I'll asterisk out Juddy for obvious reasons).

We have 10-15 years left of this guy.
There is just general scuttlebutt that we have lowballed him, he’s getting huge offers that we refuse to match, he’s been around Melbournetown so people start talking if he lets slip his intentions when he’s on the beers, talk that West Coast are sounding out the market value of him etc etc

Basically where there’s smoke there’s fire in case you are naive or born in the 2010s

Even if he does leave, it’ll be a good return of picks to help and critical mass of early picks usually slingshots you up the ladder

There is just general scuttlebutt that we have lowballed him, he’s getting huge offers that we refuse to match, he’s been around Melbournetown so people start talking if he lets slip his intentions when he’s on the beers, talk that West Coast are sounding out the market value of him etc etc

Even if he does leave, it’ll be a good return of picks to help and critical mass of early picks usually slingshots you up the ladder
Lowballed how?

No club can offer him more than he's currently getting from WCE until his 4th season.

Sounds completely made up, as usual.

Given the players I think we’d be be looking at in the draft regrettably I’d like to see a bigger Baker trade look like this:

3, 13, 22 (Band 3 Graham), F1 (HAW) for

6, 9, 18, 29, Baker

I’d also prefer we did a medical on 197cm DFA Sam Day from GCS and look at bringing him in free of charge rather than 193cm Tom Clurey. Day is also capable of chopping out in the ruck in D50 if needed.

So in essence.

3 , 13 plus Hawks F1st say 16.

For 6 plus 9 plus 18 plus Baker.

We ensure Graham lands them pick 22 in compo.

I'd do that. Nice blend of picks and we get our guy. Bring forward a future pick at a potentially a slight discount.

6 FOS or Draper
9 Travagalia
18 Cooper Hynes or a tall in Whitlock.
23 Moraes / Davies
40ish Davies
 Champion

Basically where there’s smoke there’s fire in case you are naive or born in the 2010s

Funny that… Given Pyke said negotiations would only start as soon as we have our head coach in place.
Things happen quick hey?
Stop talking shit

Lowballed?

Or oppo clubs suggesting stupid money just to push up what he expects?

Clubs like North and others could offer $2.5m knowing he wouldn't go there anyway.

There has to be more to play out with Sydney.

The post mortem of Saturday will likely see them question their stocks in Key Backs and Key Forwards.

When you look at both they should be comfortable with McDonald, Amartey & McLean as options moving forward in terms of age demographic. For mine, this makes it the less urgent for their current requirements.

Key Backs is the area for them that is most immediate hole to plug.

McCartin is solid but not a Top 20 Key Back. Blakey isn't lock-down. And the brigade of mediums that play tall just don't cut it when needed.

Does this lead them back to Barrass?

Yes, I know it sounds like the Hawks/Eagles already have a deal sorted but nothing is set until it's done.

Given the openness of the premiership window, could they dangle Warner as bait?

Barrass and WCE F1 for Warner and Syd F1?

So in essence.

3 , 13 plus Hawks F1st say 16.

For 6 plus 9 plus 18 plus Baker.

We ensure Graham lands them pick 22 in compo.

I'd do that. Nice blend of picks and we get our guy. Bring forward a future pick at a potentially a slight discount.

6 FOS or Draper
9 Travagalia
18 Cooper Hynes or a tall in Whitlock.
23 Moraes / Davies
40ish Davies
 Champion
Yes plus a bit of salary overpay.

3,13,16 for 6,9,18,Baker and Tigers probably keen to pick up some F1s. 18 is definitely a mid (Hynes/Moraes/Gross) and I’d use 23 on best KPD and 40 on Ough, Barrat or Johnson but otherwise exactly what I was thinking pickwise.

Given the players I think we’d be be looking at in the draft regrettably I’d like to see a bigger Baker trade look like this:

3, 13, 22 (Band 3 Graham), F1 (HAW) for

6, 9, 18, 29, Baker

I’d also prefer we did a medical on 197cm DFA Sam Day from GCS and look at bringing him in free of charge rather than 193cm Tom Clurey. Day is also capable of chopping out in the ruck in D50 if needed.

I'd do that.

Breaking it down.
Turning 3 picks into 4 and a player.
3 downgraded to 6
13 upgraded to 9
Hawks F1 for 18 29 baker might be in our favour though...

Edit...the FA compo 22 does level it. Mmmm

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Jenkins on SEN with Scotty & Goss has just compared Liam Baker to none other than Lachie Neale.

Vic media have deadset got their hands on it about this deal.
It baffles the mind that 13 is what the media is pushing.

This is the main component to the Barrass deal. We would be basically trading him away for Baker and scraps. (Yes trading a F2 for Hawks F1 is definitely considered scraps as there won't be much difference)

Can someone explain how this is possible when:
1. Barrass has 3 years left on his contract
2. He is a KPD in which there aren't any on the market
3. He is only 2 years older.
4. We are a rebuilding side.

I cannot believe media personalities even like Cal Twomey are making this suggestion. Even if Twomey is saying 13 will be tabled without going into further detail, he could have stated something will go back but he didn't! And no other media ****wits are either.

There has to be more to play out with Sydney.

The post mortem of Saturday will likely see them question their stocks in Key Backs and Key Forwards.

When you look at both they should be comfortable with McDonald, Amartey & McLean as options moving forward in terms of age demographic. For mine, this makes it the less urgent for their current requirements.

Key Backs is the area for them that is most immediate hole to plug.

McCartin is solid but not a Top 20 Key Back. Blakey isn't lock-down. And the brigade of mediums that play tall just don't cut it when needed.

Does this lead them back to Barrass?

Yes, I know it sounds like the Hawks/Eagles already have a deal sorted but nothing is set until it's done.

Given the openness of the premiership window, could they dangle Warner as bait?

Barrass and WCE F1 for Warner and Syd F1?
Barrass wants to go to Melbourne because his sister and brother have moved there.

Sis was living in Sydney prior to recently, which is why he originally considered a move there.

No chance he goes there now.

Why is it irrelevant
We are talking 3 years at Eagles, traded for 2 first rounders and future 2nd or whatever it ends up being, then a new contract at Essendon on 1.8 instead of West Coasts 1.2

It baffles the mind that 13 is what the media is pushing.

This is the main component to the Barrass deal. We would be basically trading him away for Baker and scraps. (Yes trading a F2 for Hawks F1 is definitely considered scraps as there won't be much difference)

Can someone explain how this is possible when:
1. Barrass has 3 years left on his contract
2. He is a KPD in which there aren't any on the market
3. He is only 2 years older.
4. We are a rebuilding side.

I cannot believe media personalities even like Cal Twomey are making this suggestion. Even if Twomey is saying 13 will be tabled without going into further detail, he could have stated something will go back but he didn't! And no other media ****wits are either.
Twomey's only saying he 'expects' 13 to be on the table because Freo had 10 on the table for him.

What they're failing to mention, in an effort tog grab headlines, is that Freo's pick 10 would've also been part of the Bolton trade for Richmond to include Baker, not on its own.

Twomey has NFI what we're offering.

Why is it irrelevant
We are talking 3 years at Eagles, traded for 2 first rounders and future 2nd or whatever it ends up being, then a new contract at Essendon on 1.8 instead of West Coasts 1.2
Because he's not even in his second year? Why does Essendon's offer matter now when WCE haven't even made a formal offer yet, especially when Reid can't even get paid that amount until he's in his 4th year anyway?

We going to lose our shit when North offer $5 million per year, simply because we can't match, despite Norf not being an option?

Come on, think about this logically. WCE aren't just going to throw stupid money at him without negotiating a contract, because they're the only one who can formally discuss a new contract with him right now.

I'd do that.

Breaking it down.
Turning 3 picks into 4 and a player.
3 downgraded to 6
13 upgraded to 9
Hawks F1 for 18 29 baker might be in our favour though

That’s not happening in any world.

Best you get there is Baker and 29 and Tiger supporters would argue that 29 shouldn’t be given. Pick 18 wouldn’t be part of it, that’s optimism of the highest degree.

From a Tigers point of view why swap all those picks around to get to pick 3 when they could do something similar with Nth and get to pick 2.

Baker is worth about pick 23. Get it done West Coast. It doesn’t need to be anymore complicated than that. Run it till the last minute of trade week if required. Tigers aren’t going to hold onto a player that wants out and is out of contract when there’s fair compensation on the table.

That’s not happening in any world.

Best you get there is Baker and 29 and Tiger supporters would argue that 29 shouldn’t be given. Pick 18 wouldn’t be part of it, that’s optimism of the highest degree.

From a Tigers point of view why swap all those picks around to get to pick 3 when they could do something similar with Nth and get to pick 2.

Baker is worth about pick 23. Get it done West Coast. It doesn’t need to be anymore complicated than that. Run it till the last minute of trade week if required. Tigers aren’t going to hold onto a player that wants out and is out of contract when there’s fair compensation on the table.
I edited it.

Forgot eaglevision also included our offer to graham triggering pick 22 FA compo for them as well.

Because he's not even in his second year? Why does Essendon's offer matter now when WCE haven't even made a formal offer yet, especially when Reid can't even get paid that amount until he's in his 4th year anyway?

We going to lose our shit when North offer $5 million per year, simply because we can't match, despite Norf not being an option?

Come on, think about this logically. WCE aren't just going to throw stupid money at him without negotiating a contract, because they're the only one who can formally discuss a new contract with him right now.

Essendons offer matters in the sense that it sets a benchmark the Eagles need to work around if we want to extend him past his 3rd year.

If this gap between what he can get on the open market vs what Eagles are willing to offer festers in his mind for too long, it will make it harder to sign him.

I posted this a little while ago but have revisited it now that Baker has nominated us. Personally would be happy if we can get it done

WCE
In- Baker, 13,30,39*
Out- Barrass, 23

Hawthorn
In- Barrass, 23
Out- 13,30,F1

Richmond
In- HF1
Out- Baker, 39

That would leave us with 3,13,30,39,59 plus whatever we get for Darling to take to the drafts plus all our 2025 picks intact

* I’d like for this to be 29 rather than 39 but not sure if that weights it too much in our favour

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back