List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Trade Radio- regarding Riley Garcia. Eagles interest dropped off a bit. Has a 2 year offer from the Dogs and likely landing spot but Port has interest but they are waiting on Joe Richards decision first. Josh then said if one of the WA clubs offered him a contract he would expect Garcia would take it.

Geez must have some decent plans if what would be a best 22 player imo for us and we ain’t even offering a contract. Edmund did say last week we had a 2 year contract in front of him

He played a decent game against the Dees this year so hopefully Mini saw enough

Last edited:

Are you seriously suggesting that a midfield consisting of Nick Daicos, Tom Mitchell, Jordan De Goey, Scott Pendlebury, Jack Crisp, Taylor Adams and Josh Daicos is not elite?
Mate it was clarified it was an elite midfield but no elite players cause just cause you have elite players doesn't make an elite midfield and vice versa ..I think...I'm not sure where the line changes from elite players to elite midfield...but yeah it was elite but it wasn't and the only reason they won the flag against Brisbane's elite* midfield as cause they had Maynard, Frampton and quaynor running off half back who are all elite....cause that's all you need.

*Brisbane's midfield eliteness tbc.

Last edited:
Pyke just now telling Duffield that Hewett is expected to be right for the start of pre season. Did say they were still monitoring him but were confident he would be right.

It’s good that someone sent that question through

You can thank me later

Are you seriously suggesting that a midfield consisting of Nick Daicos, Tom Mitchell, Jordan De Goey, Scott Pendlebury, Jack Crisp, Taylor Adams and Josh Daicos is not elite?
Crisp, Tom Mitchell and Pendlebury were role players. Adams was good but not A-grade last year

This all came about because I was arguing we dont need a bunch of elite inside mids, so J.Daicos isnt really a part of the midfield that we were talking about before because hes out on a wing.

The idea is that you can get by with 1-2 A-grade mids then a bunch of good and average players, spread the talent around.

Do not need to replicate Carltons midfield or our midfield of 2006 to be a contender

Trade Radio- regarding Riley Garcia. Eagles interest dropped off a bit. Has a 2 year offer from the Dogs and likely landing spot but Port has interest but they are waiting on Joe Richards decision first. Josh then said if one of the WA clubs offered him a contract he would expect Garcia would take it.

Geez must have some decent plans if what would be a best 22 player imo for us and we ain’t even offering a contract. Edmund did say last week we had a 2 year contract in front of him

He played a decent game against the Dees this year so hopefully Mini saw enough
Baker, graham and DevRob probably coming. Garcia is surplus to needs

Pyke just now telling Duffield that Hewett is expected to be right for the start of pre season. Did say they were still monitoring him but were confident he would be right.
Oh, I thought he was on the NDIS already the way some have been carrying on about him

If Kayle Gerreyn is still available wherever pick 23 ends up he'd be a great option. Moves well for 199cm, clean hands, sharp reflexes and a great leg. In his highlights he looks to play on and get the ball moving too. Could be developed to replace Gov, who was also a forward / ruck at colts level.
All reads well but 100% do not want Gerreyn. Nothing to do with his football ability and I’m confident West Coast will be across it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think you should go re-watch the '22 and '23 grand finals if you think the likes of Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Smith, Mitchell, Selwood, Danger, Duncan etc were washed up.
Where did I say they were washed up?
Role player isnt an insult. Not being A-grade anymore is not an insult.
I called Danger A-grade

Can you read??
??????????

Unfortunately Elijah’s issue is almost exclusively load related now. All well and good to say he’s ready to start preseason but it’s going to be daily monitoring of symptoms and regular scans. Expectations really need to be tempered with Elijah but that’s not to say he won’t fly through preseason.

Unfortunately Elijah’s issue is almost exclusively load related now. All well and good to say he’s ready to start preseason but it’s going to be daily monitoring of symptoms and regular scans. Expectations really need to be tempered with Elijah but that’s not to say he won’t fly through preseason.
So he only wins the Brownlow by 2 votes then.

So he only wins the Brownlow by 2 votes then.
images

What’s this mean?
Like most recovering from stress related injuries their load needs to be carefully monitored as they return to performance/play. This is normal, or are you insinuating something else?

Is he though?
Garcia has had more opportunity to there being significantly less depth at the Dogs, Dev has never had a run in the middle at the Lions
From the eye test Garcia has it over Dev, Garcia is a contested beast similar to a Baker which is type of players eagles lack currently. Dev is ok but is pretty poorly skilled and seems a bit slow to me. Dev would be a backup for Graham i would think in similar roles

If Kayle Gerreyn is still available wherever pick 23 ends up he'd be a great option. Moves well for 199cm, clean hands, sharp reflexes and a great leg. In his highlights he looks to play on and get the ball moving too. Could be developed to replace Gov, who was also a forward / ruck at colts level.

Interesting discussion point.

Personally I would think that at that point in the draft (23), he would be at least half a round too early and a bit of a stretch.

Gerreyn is a player who I am keen to see his Combine results.

If and it’s a big IF he tests well then he may go closer to that mark,however I am mindful that at the pick 23 range, there are going to be some very good prospects there for the taking, that will have more appeal.

For what it’s worth I see Gerreyn projecting as a KPD at the next level.
His dual sidedness and agility below his knees is impressive, it’s what amount of agility he loses at speed that I am more specifically interested about, as I have concerns about this aspect of his game, in relation to some of the other talls in the cohort, that I rate higher.
Hence the interest in his Combine results.

Also just when does the run starts on the second tier of talls , this will have a big bearing on just how early he goes.
Kids of his caliber usually come off the board late second to early third round, however what complicates that this draft, is that there just are so many mids and flankers, that in most years would have a late first to early second round grade on them, that thought sheer weight of numbers will be pushed much deeper into the draft this year.
There are going to be some hindsight bargains that go in this years second round, such is the depth of this years cohort of kids and flankers.

Is he though?
Garcia has had more opportunity to there being significantly less depth at the Dogs, Dev has never had a run in the middle at the Lions
Every dogs game I’ve watched, Garcia has been stuck in the grave yard Half forward role so not sure if it’s entirely different.

I’ll also argue the dogs had much more depth than the Lions (key word ‘had’).

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back