List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking Hawks will want at least 1 decent pick this year, so definitely their 12-14 this year but the other pick is definitely a future hopefully f1 so getting Hamish at 30 might not be a goer with the barass trade
If Hawthorn dig their heels in maybe we have to scout around and see if another party can offer a better deal.

Gavin Bell - we have to do what is in the best interests of the WCE club.

If Hawthorn dig their heels in maybe we have to scout around and see if another party can offer a better deal.

I think we’d also take 12 (wherever it ends up) and a decent young player (no not DGB, McKenzie or similar). Doubt they want to do that but TBH if we are OK with 12+F2 then we need to ask for better options not negotiate down from there.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Langford with another lazy 32 touches and 2 goals.
Does a lot of front running though and Barrat beat him H2H in the first half (but was sent to play key position in the 2nd half when Bendigo were trying to win it and Shanahan was beaten). Langford had a big last quarter so did well to run the game out. Hynes was relatively quiet.

For Bendigo Barrat was their best in the midfield and then important positionally in the 2nd half. Zaydyn Lockwood was excellent in the ruck and also up back (with a number of important intercept marks). Shanahan was completely beaten by Riak Andrew (except for a decent 2nd quarter when he took about 3-4 marks). Tobie Travaglia had his quietest game in a while. I think the length of the season got to him (he's basically been going since the start of the season and being selected by the Academy.

I think we’d also take 12 (wherever it ends up) and a decent young player (no not DGB, McKenzie or similar). Doubt they want to do that but TBH if we are OK with 12+F2 then we need to ask for better options not negotiate down from there.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
F2 will be about #40. Not very appealing. I hope they are looking for other options.
Hawthorn will have to work hard on this.

Think is will be a late draft pick at best, may even go un-drafted.

Would be different if his skills were a bit more crisp, more of a scrapper than a finisher.
Marks well for his height, but his movement and un clean hands will see him marked down.

The gap between his floor and his ceiling is thin, got to love his attitude and attack on the ball, but that will only get you so far if the finish is not quite right.

I'm in agreement, skills aren't good enough for AFL level. He's hard at the ball but hard to say he will be drafted. But then the club drafted Lach Rawlinson......

I am sure Bell would if needed, do that, however I strongly suspect that a Hawthorn - Barrass - West Coast dialogue is pretty advanced and that an "in principle agreement", will have already been had.

The " bones of the trade" would be well understood and its the fine tuning, the add ons, the steak knives as we call them that are yet to be finalised and they would be dependent and impacted by what other Clubs trades are had league wide.

Additionally Hawthorn are into Barrass (he has requested a trade to Hawks), Battle ( who has already committed to Hawks as a UFA ) and Perryman ( who the Hawkes have supposedly made him a decent $ offer to ) - so you have to ask yourself, just where the hell is all that TPP coming from ????.
Because as it currently stands, it's hard to see them all landing at Hawthorn.
Maybe the Hawks need to trade a player or two out themselves, to free up cap space, in order to retool the positional mix and depth chart of the list.

Still a lot to consider in all trades that are not as simplistic as a direct trade between the two Clubs, such as:

A third or more Clubs getting involved and a multi Club deal that facilitates a series of knock on trades.

Current and futures picks are one such variable, what portion of a players salary is paid for by the Club that the departing player comes from.

We have seen it already where Clubs effectively over pay in draft capital, whereby a Club pays a disproportionate amount of the exiting players salary, effectively its purchasing draft capital for TPP :
By way of example - look no further than the Gold Coast - Geelong deal that landed Geelong Jack Bowes AND pick seven from Gold Coast, when they paid Geelong overs and effectively parted with draft capital, pick 7, for a salary dump.

Then add in what picks get added to the draft when the AFL secret herbs and spices - otherwise know as compensation picks are handed out, such as just what do St Blunders get for Battle and how does that implicate the draft.

And every year for the last half dozen years, we have had a player request a trade late that comes from no where, that none anticipate coming.

Still so many moving parts that West Coast have to put in place between and work around, now and until the end of the trade period.

I think we should be at a minimum asking for extra list spots as an assistance package if the AFL doesn't want to give us any picks.

This will help us add some older experienced players without us having to sacrifice list spots. Can only be beneficial for the beagles competitiveness and development as a result with the added squad depth.

Can anyone else explain why a list cap even matters?

Obviously a nominal cap makes sense so teams don't have 70 players but there's still a salary cap that puts a ceiling on the number of players you could have. I think raising the list cap helps teams down the bottom retain more experience so they are more competitive at AFL level but don't have to sacrifice youth to do it.

I think the AFL should raise it by 5-10 so teams like us can fill a full seconds team with listed players and would help with overall competitiveness IMO.

With Davis’ performance the proposed 6, 9 and 17 for 3 and 23 is looking pretty bloody darn good to me.

Having a laugh if you’re giving up our 2nd for baker who we can only describe as a utility who’ll drive training standards when players like Davis are falling around that range.

This is the draft Randy marsh images are made of:
6 Draper, Lalor, Langford
9 TT
12 Lindsay
17 Davis
30 Barratt
Bid match Champion

F2 Baker (if absolutely necessary)
FA Graham

Swap of 4/F4 Robinson

other player trade - currency for genuine ruck.

Just to point out the obvious. If we think Davis will be gone by 30 and we really want him, pick 23 gives us a reasonable pick in those sweepstakes.

He played an excellent game today. For those draft watchers who know more about the overall pool, is he a contender for our second (assuming we don’t trade it)?

Will pick 23 be before pick 30 after F/S and NGA bids?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching Davis flourish in a Claremont team that support and protect him annoys me how bad the Beagles set up has been and how piss poor our development has been. If the AFL don’t create a reserves side and we don’t get a massive improvement in who we can play for the Beagles, I’m all for farming them out to WAFL clubs as this is really hurting us

For the most part I agree with this, but I do wonder if farming out kids to different clubs would have quite the same benefit that Davis has with the senior players at Claremont. These are probably guys who have been at the club a while, seen him come up through juniors and he has been a part of the club.

From memory one of the issues with the alignment and also when players were farmed out, is they were seen as outsiders or intruders, rather than part of the club. Hopefully Pyke could do a better job of smoothing the waters than Nizzy.

Still having guys like Rogers, Waterman, Mountford, etc to play along side rather than a bunch of ammo’s would still be an improvement.

Whether it's true or not, I don't like seeing the back of players like Barrass and Darling in this manner. These guys are club legends & premiership players, in a perfect world it'd be nice to have better control over our list that these guys could retire at the Eagles with the respect that they deserve.

I understand we're in this position due to an enforced down cycle, and we could possibly be in a better spot if our list was managed better, and that lastly we need to capitalise on their value for the sake of our future - and it's not like they're getting nothing out of these moves, but it still saddens me nonetheless.

Oh well, f*ck it. Gotta evolve I guess.
We’ve been very lucky to have a succession of elite (when fit) rucks from when Gardy hit his straps to Cox to Nic Nat. We developed Lycett into a serviceable premiership ruckman and traded Vardy and Hickey in at low cost who both held up their end of the bargain.

To be fair Flynn had a very good preseason until his rare and horrendously timed injury and as the unanimous best ruck of his draft class Barnett was probably expected to be further down the track than what he his but is still young.

To rookie the best available league ruck is a good last resort option but I hope we’re going hard for Reidy, Knobel and Soldo. I suspect we’ve asked about Ned Reeves too as part of the Barrass trade.
My diehard Hawthorn mates warned me off Reeves. Soft as butter.Mitchell got him out and Meek in who is much harder. Yuk!

Last edited:
With Davis’ performance the proposed 6, 9 and 17 for 3 and 23 is looking pretty bloody darn good to me.

Having a laugh if you’re giving up our 2nd for baker who we can only describe as a utility who’ll drive training standards when players like Davis are falling around that range.

This is the draft Randy marsh images are made of:
6 Draper, Lalor, Langford
9 TT
12 Lindsay
17 Davis
30 Barratt
Bid match Champion

F2 Baker (if absolutely necessary)
FA Graham

Swap of 4/F4 Robinson

other player trade - currency for genuine ruck.

F2nd plus Cully for Baker.

They are interested has been mentioned.

Nice draft outcome.

Doubt it.
Ashcroft
Lombard
Kako
Marshall
Battle FA
Perryman FA
Cumming FA

That takes 23 to 30 already. Also have a feeling Graham compo would be band 3.
Not sure how Brisbane land Marshall atm unless they trade heavily, struggling to get enough points for ashcroft as a pick 1 bid

Doubt it.
Ashcroft
Lombard
Kako
I believe these three will be bid on in the top ~15.
Touch and go that Marshall is bid on before your second round pick.
Battle FA
Perryman FA
Cumming FA
Struggle to see Perryman and Cumming generating band one or two compensation. If they generate band three compensation, that will be after your second round pick. But I have no idea what is being offered to either of those two players.
That takes 23 to 30 already. Also have a feeling Graham compo would be band 3.

For the most part I agree with this, but I do wonder if farming out kids to different clubs would have quite the same benefit that Davis has with the senior players at Claremont. These are probably guys who have been at the club a while, seen him come up through juniors and he has been a part of the club.

From memory one of the issues with the alignment and also when players were farmed out, is they were seen as outsiders or intruders, rather than part of the club. Hopefully Pyke could do a better job of smoothing the waters than Nizzy.

Still having guys like Rogers, Waterman, Mountford, etc to play along side rather than a bunch of ammo’s would still be an improvement.

They were not outsiders or intruders, 70-80% of them were actually playing for their own WAFL club and with all the mates they grew up with.
Only the non WA players were put somewhere they didn’t know and I have nit heard of any player who felt left out.

Not sure how Brisbane land Marshall atm unless they trade heavily, struggling to get enough points for ashcroft as a pick 1 bid
We'll definitely trade our first round pick for more points. After that, who knows what we'll do. We can take a points deficit in to next year's draft. Without seeing what the new draft points matrix is, I don't know what the new deficit figure is, but basically it's the points value of pick 18, 36 & 54 added together.

Bit of talk that Dev and Tunstill are headed back west. No idea what we'd get for those two.

I believe these three will be bid on in the top ~15.

Touch and go that Marshall is bid on before your second round pick.

Struggle to see Perryman and Cumming generating band one or two compensation. If they generate band three compensation, that will be after your second round pick. But I have no idea what is being offered to either of those two players.
Perryman 100% has band 2 offers, Cumming I’m not certain but confident Port’s offer is band 2. If Marshall is there at 23 I hope we bid on him but I think he’ll be gone. Don’t get me started on Graham and I’m sure there will be others.

Perryman 100% has band 2 offers, Cumming I’m not certain but confident Port’s offer is band 2. If Marshall is there at 23 I hope we bid on him but I think he’ll be gone. Don’t get me started on Graham and I’m sure there will be others.
Bids come where they come.

Our (actually for all four northern academy clubs) problem will be next year's draft, as we're going to need a lot of points for academy kids.

Fair chance next years Allies team is much stronger than last years Allies team that won the national championships.

Next year's first round is going to be a sh!t show.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back