List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Another impressive game for Davis. He should be at the 21 to 30 range. There are some other prospects doing very well over east and hence reflecting on the depth of the draft.

I would much prefer we give up a F2 for Baker and generate band 3 for Graham. Too much noise about the duo that I a, fully expecting it to have been agreed in principle.

Watching Davis flourish in a Claremont team that support and protect him annoys me how bad the Beagles set up has been and how piss poor our development has been. If the AFL don’t create a reserves side and we don’t get a massive improvement in who we can play for the Beagles, I’m all for farming them out to WAFL clubs as this is really hurting us

Been pushing for him all year after his 3rd colts game for the year where just watched him run
He is so similar to Martin when he was playing for Subi before Essendon picked him up

Our (actually for all four northern academy clubs) problem will be next year's draft, as we're going to need a lot of points for academy kids.
That's rough man, I hope you guys recover.

I think we should be at a minimum asking for extra list spots as an assistance package if the AFL doesn't want to give us any picks.

This will help us add some older experienced players without us having to sacrifice list spots. Can only be beneficial for the beagles competitiveness and development as a result with the added squad depth.

Can anyone else explain why a list cap even matters?

Obviously a nominal cap makes sense so teams don't have 70 players but there's still a salary cap that puts a ceiling on the number of players you could have. I think raising the list cap helps teams down the bottom retain more experience so they are more competitive at AFL level but don't have to sacrifice youth to do it.

I think the AFL should raise it by 5-10 so teams like us can fill a full seconds team with listed players and would help with overall competitiveness IMO.
In the Wafl the tradional clubs need to have a minimum 55 players but can have as many players on their list so long as they fit into their salary cap and the points they have allocated.

The Afl seems draconian where you have to use a certain percentage of your salary cap and can't have extra players inside that salary cap.i suspect afalpa would not want too dilute the contract of lower paid players.

Removing the maximum list size would actually help bottom clubs

Instead of paying inflated salaries to players in order to reach 95% of the salary cap they could list more players to throw a wider net to unearth talent

Just make sure there’s a decent minimum salary and I fail to see an issue

They were not outsiders or intruders, 70-80% of them were actually playing for their own WAFL club and with all the mates they grew up with.
Only the non WA players were put somewhere they didn’t know and I have nit heard of any player who felt left out.
They also could be played at reserves level if they found Wafl league level hard to adapt to.
Callan England and Dylan Main Who have turned out to be good Wafl footballers all had to play reserves.
Dispersing players does have advantages as if you have too many ruckman in your squad you can even move a player to another team to accelarate their development

We'll definitely trade our first round pick for more points. After that, who knows what we'll do. We can take a points deficit in to next year's draft. Without seeing what the new draft points matrix is, I don't know what the new deficit figure is, but basically it's the points value of pick 18, 36 & 54 added together.

Bit of talk that Dev and Tunstill are headed back west. No idea what we'd get for those two.
Seen a lot of negative comments about Tunstill from the Lions Vfl thread so unless he is contracted would he be delisted?

Are there any decent players from the hawks that could be involved in the Barrass move if we really go for the squeeze?

From the 1 highlights package I watched, his kicking looked very suspect.
This would put me off using anything better than pick 30 on him.
Or over a longer sample size, is his kicking not that bad?

Thank **** you are not part of our recruiting and drafting team. :praying:

Thank **** you are not part of our recruiting and drafting team. :praying:
Man did I not prefice it with "I've only seen one highlights package" then proceed to ask if his kicking is better when looking at a larger sample size? It was a question not a statement.
Instead of being a dick either just don't answer or alternatively actually provide some useful comment.

Man did I not prefice it with "I've only seen one highlights package" then proceed to ask if his kicking is better when looking at a larger sample size? It was a question not a statement.
Instead of being a dick either just don't answer or alternatively actually provide some useful comment.

Your reply above, to my rebuttal of your original post

:arrowsmallup::arrowsmallup::arrowsmallup::arrowsmallup::arrowsmallup::arrowsmallup:

Your original post ........ that I replied to.

Bolded reads and sounds like a statement to me. :shrug:

Tip maybe don't make statements on players ability, on the basis of ONLY watching one highlights package.

Do some research.

" His kicking looked very suspect" , was your statement.

His last two games.

Round 21 16 possessions 3 goals 1
Final week 1. 21 possessions 4 goals straight.

As a high half forward, the stats looks pretty elite to me.

Hopefully thats enough useful comments for you to realise that it's you that has been the dick.

Last edited:
No. - the difference between seeing him live v a selection of tv clips

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve also noticed a strange ball drop, he seems to be accurate though

His kicking looked fine . He action isn't classical but gets the job done . The goal he kicked on the run from after a clean pick up roving a contest at the 50m mark was top shelf .

He has a slow stutter run up for set shots but they go straight 🤷‍♂️

That's rough man, I hope you guys recover.

Agreed. Its a horrid place to be having priority access to so many top kids you just dont have the picks to rort them ....I mean draft them all.

I mean the AFL really needs to do something because finishing top two, top four year after year you just dont have the picks and the points. Its a real problem for the Lions and Swans.

Maybe a priority pick for them will help.;):think::$:mad:

Last edited:
Tom Morris just spoke on Sen about Witherdens future … he was allegedly told a week or two before Simpson got the flick he would be getting a two year, which is now off the table .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If true. This makes Simpsons removal more than justified. You just can't carry players who lack intensity like he does, especially in the back half.

It’s interesting as he was criticised last year when he took over as coach of Richmond. all went down hill in a two week period where they got trounced by dogs after looking as a shoein for the role. .

Richmond then didn’t employ him despite knowing him inside out. In hindsight that could be because club didn’t know where they were at and thought he should have done better. He is also at Melbourne with all of their issues and slide downwards this year. Whilst some issues were there before he got there, you would expect some influence in rectifying.

I know we hired Simpson at 38 and MCQ is same age just wondering whether an older assistant would be better. I do like Montgomery’s extended experience. He will just be able to draw on more to help the club and young players. MCQ will need very experienced assistants.

Tom Morris just spoke on Sen about Witherdens future … he was allegedly told a week or two before Simpson got the flick he would be getting a two year, which is now off the table .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Now that’s a rug being pulled.

Nothing beats Mitch brown’s rug pulling, who was told no contract, then got offered one and then club retracted again. From what I recall he was physically reading the contract when he got the call retracting the offer. You know, back in the day when you printed stuff off.

Not that’s some proper rug pulling Tom. Long way to go son!

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back