List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s interesting as he was criticised last year when he took over as coach of Richmond. all went down hill in a two week period where they got trounced by dogs after looking as a shoein for the role. .

Richmond then didn’t employ him despite knowing him inside out. In hindsight that could be because club didn’t know where they were at and thought he should have done better. He is also at Melbourne with all of their issues and slide downwards this year. Whilst some issues were there before he got there, you would expect some influence in rectifying.

I know we hired Simpson at 38 and MCQ is same age just wondering whether an older assistant would be better. I do like Montgomery’s extended experience. He will just be able to draw on more to help the club and young players. MCQ will need very experienced assistants.
My concern is having Richmond alumni as both head coach and list manager. You lose objectivity and having him and Clarke in such powerful positions would not be ideal, particularly in this trade period.

The first call we should make is to Choco Williams to offer a life boat out of the Melbourne dumpster fire.

My concern is having Richmond alumni as both head coach and list manager. You lose objectivity and having him and Clarke in such powerful positions would not be ideal, particularly in this trade period.

The first call we should make is to Choco Williams to offer a life boat out of the Melbourne dumpster fire.

Clarke was a recruiter. Not sure it’s that much of a problem.

Argh choco. No thanks (ok as an assistant). Too much old school.

Clarke was a recruiter. Not sure it’s that much of a problem.

Argh choco. No thanks (ok as an assistant). Too much old school.
Yes exactly. So two Richmond people in powerful positions making decisions on bringing Richmond players to the Eagles? No thanks.

And yes, Choc as an assistant or even better a development coach. Not head coach if that wasn’t clear.

Tom Morris just spoke on Sen about Witherdens future … he was allegedly told a week or two before Simpson got the flick he would be getting a two year, which is now off the table .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This sounds pretty suss to me - Morris implying that Simpson had some sort of hand in offering contracts which sounds like complete bull shit. Sure the actual list manager may have been discussing terms with Witherden and then with Simmo being sacked they've stepped and and said that discussions are on hold, otherwise Morris making a pretty big stretch on this one.

This sounds pretty suss to me - Morris implying that Simpson had some sort of hand in offering contracts which sounds like complete bull shit. Sure the actual list manager may have been discussing terms with Witherden and then with Simmo being sacked they've stepped and and said that discussions are on hold, otherwise Morris making a pretty big stretch on this one.
A month or two ago on gettable Witho’s manager said they’d love to have discussions with WCE but they hadn’t happened yet. I suspect his manager has put the call in to agitate the matter and Morris has willingly obliged.

I wouldn’t have thought the coach discussing current players with the lost manager is unusual, in fact I would think have thought it was the opposite.

Imagine singing a player for 2 years which the coach has no intention of ever playing again?

It’s interesting as he was criticised last year when he took over as coach of Richmond. all went down hill in a two week period where they got trounced by dogs after looking as a shoein for the role. .

Richmond then didn’t employ him despite knowing him inside out. In hindsight that could be because club didn’t know where they were at and thought he should have done better. He is also at Melbourne with all of their issues and slide downwards this year. Whilst some issues were there before he got there, you would expect some influence in rectifying.

I know we hired Simpson at 38 and MCQ is same age just wondering whether an older assistant would be better. I do like Montgomery’s extended experience. He will just be able to draw on more to help the club and young players. MCQ will need very experienced assistants.
He couldn't have done worse than Yze, and maybe half the team wouldn't be jumping ship.
Doesn't seem to be enough questions being asked about what's going on over there. Maybe the Melbourne dramas are keeping the press occupied

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

He couldn't have done worse than Yze, and maybe half the team wouldn't be jumping ship.
Doesn't seem to be enough questions being asked about what's going on over there. Maybe the Melbourne dramas are keeping the press occupied

Half the team jumping is going to give them a draft hand that is the equivalent of 2.5 years of rebuilding in their first year of bottoming out.

We could have only wished for this.

But we had cuddles, love, on site daycare and the promises of lucrative contracts well into the mid 30's to stop anyone jumping ship.

Hell, we even created a culture where late 30 year old well paid long term contract holders, have a dummy spit when they can't renegotiate with years to run, for more money and years (said dummy spit is ironically, exactly what we need).

Surely most people would understand that players leaving will generate draft picks and help to rebuild the side quickly.
It’s exactly what I hope we are focused on.

Tom Morris just spoke on Sen about Witherdens future … he was allegedly told a week or two before Simpson got the flick he would be getting a two year, which is now off the table .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
2 years for witherden is crazy . He was one of Simpson's boys .

Recon he should be delisted personally too slow to defend and not a good enough kick too carry

Half the team jumping is going to give them a draft hand that is the equivalent of 2.5 years of rebuilding in their first year of bottoming out.

But we had cuddles, love, on site daycare and the promises of lucrative contracts well into the mid 30's to stop anyone jumping ship.

Hell, we even created a culture where late 30 year old well paid long term contract holders, have a dummy spit when they can't renegotiate with years to run, for more money and years (said dummy spit is ironically, exactly what we need).

Each to their own but I might give it a year or two before saying Richmond are getting their rebuild right by trading away a heap of experience (with some more retiring)

No doubt we have made some poor calls so far, but also some good ones. But the rebuild has a way to go still.

Another year like this for the Tigers and they probably replace their coach… again…. Not sure that will be great for a rebuild

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely most people would understand that players leaving will generate draft picks and help to rebuild the side quickly.
It’s exactly what I hope we are focused on.
North did that then had minimal experience on field. They still haven't recovered .

They have so many first rounders on their list atm but won 3 games ?

Richmond also trading out all their speed in rioli , Bolton and Baker.

They will be eating shit on the bottom of the ladder for a few years yet

As good as this all sounds, Bolton, Baker, Graham and Rioli are best 22 senior players with the 1st three being some of their best.

They only won 2 games this year with these players playing regularly. How do you think they will fair next year?

There's potential for it to he a good developmental year just as much as there is potential for them to become Norf 2.0

You can't go too much the other way.

Yeah I get it'll potentially help the club but the guys who are leaving aren't in their 30s.
When so many players want to leave at once there must be a problem

I'm not sure why you're calling someone a dick for having a fair concern regarding their technique for the most important skill. If Hawks win (possible) and Davis plays another very good game we will need that barass pick for him. We need to nail every pick this year especially after losing barass, every prospect should be critiqued harshly

Davis to me, likes to use his speed and often is kicking whilst at full tilt. I think his skills are great, he's managed to master kicking at full speed. If you compare to Tsatas who does the same, he can't balance himself for the end product.

(I come in peace).

If Bolton is traded to Freo for P9 + P10, how would WCE fans feel about Baker + P9 for P3 + P23?

Talk indicates that Barrass will go to Hawks for P12.

So would be:
Out - Barrass, 3, 23
In - Baker, 9, 12

We aren't giving 23 and a 6 pick top 10 downgrade for Baker.

Pick 23 is pretty much enough on its own, but the pick swaps to give it a bit of extra mayo will be after pick 23, not before it and certainly not in the top 10.

*obviously this all assumes we aren't stupid.

(I come in peace).

If Bolton is traded to Freo for P9 + P10, how would WCE fans feel about Baker + P9 for P3 + P23?

So would be:
Out - Barrass, 3, 23
In - Baker, 9, 12
(I come in peace).

So would be:
Out - Barrass, 3, 23
In - Baker, 9, 12
Horrific.
Pick 3 for 9+12 would be pushing it let alone swapping Baker for Barrass and sending back 23 aswell.
TB is contracted, the pick/s we get from the Hawks need to be protected and used in this draft, especially R1.

(I come in peace).

So would be:
Out - Barrass, 3, 23
In - Baker, 9, 12
The overrating of Baker by Tigers supporters is comical.

Most WC supporters wouldn't support P23 in a straight swap for him. To then take a 6 pick down grade on our 1st is laughable.

We need the highest ranked youngsters we can get and heaps of them. We dont need a role playing utilitiy who's prime is now in the rearview mirror at the expense of high draft picks.

I think you have us confused with Gold Coast.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back