List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Richmond upgraded Jack Graham offer to 4 years as well. (Gettable) which would probably indicated the $$ aren’t great and the comp wouldn’t be great so that’s why they have upped their offer

Bolton not ruled out for the Eagles but unlikely.

Peatling mentioned.

Harvey Langford mentioned as in the pick 1 talk

also the offer they make impacts compo, so who knows.

based on what adrian caruso was saying, its hard to see why clubs below us would pay a premium to trade up.
to paraphrase his words, he was pretty comfortable to let the draft fall to them as he sees the next rung (players 8 to 15) as not far behind the top tier.

need to find a suitable club desperate for someone at pick 3.

Langford's to slow. Hoping for FOS, would be happy with Draper as well. Think it would be a great draft to split our first to try and get Lalor/TT and Lindsay/Allan. Maybe there's a deal to be done with Freo, Richmond or St Kilda if they land Band 1 from Battle.
Band 1 for Battle is outrageous, just like it was for McKay last year.

AFL draft is a very flawed system.

also the offer they make impacts compo, so who knows.

based on what adrian caruso was saying, its hard to see why clubs below us would pay a premium to trade up.
to paraphrase his words, he was pretty comfortable to let the draft fall to them as he sees the next rung (players 8 to 15) as not far behind the top tier.

need to find a suitable club desperate for someone at pick 3.

Who is Caruso.

Watch u18 WA v SA again on weekend. Bo Allen out played Draper. If we can trade back to 6 and take Bo Allen, would that be OK? By the way, i have never seen another game Bo has played.

He's flying under the radar a bit and is projecting to be a very good player. 6 is a bit high for him, he's projected to go in the 10-20 range.

Has a bit of the Marc Lecras' about him. If Lecras didn't do his knee he was midfield destined. Berry is my second favourite player in the pool. My favourite player and who I rate at 1 doesn't want to leave Victoria.

Phil - would you be prepared to force the issue with him and draft him anyway ?
( I am assuming it’s the better of the two Sandy boy- Murphy Reid - that you are talking about that don’t want to leave )

Berry I agree is a good prospect and if he fell to us as an option, with the presumed Barrass trade/pick that would be a very worthwhile pick.

Last edited:
I know he's a potato and potentially delisted shortly, but we're silly not grabbing DGB via whatever bargain bin avenue pans out and backing ourselves to make something of his career. Either Barrass trade or DFA.

Our KPP development has been solid for a number of years, it's a free swing picking him up and seeing what a new environment does for his game. He's a pick 6 after all.

Particularly for a list position we're now no longer flush with. Bazzo (jury still out) as depth behind Hedwards and Gov, and that's it.

Watch u18 WA v SA again on weekend. Bo Allen out played Draper. If we can trade back to 6 and take Bo Allen, would that be OK? By the way, i have never seen another game Bo has played.
I'm going to ****ing rage so hard if we take bo allen let alone at that pick.

He's everything wrong about wce. Everything wrong.

As a mid at the same time. Clay hall was leaps and bounds ahead

Already reported he's going to hawks for unders(band 2), so where's this band 1 talk coming from?
All the journos have said Hawks previous offer wasn’t enough for Band 1, then St Kilda upped their offer to meet Band 1, then he went to the Hawks.

So they’re not clear on whether he accepted the previous offer, or if the Hawks lifted their’s in response to the Saints and therefore will net St Kilda Band 1 compo. Lots of “wait to see” from Jon Ralph etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who is Caruso.
GWS national recruiting manager. All class, very level headed and I believe he was our initial preference for the list manager role. The way GWS has been able to manage the constant outflow of high end talent and turn them into future assets had been outstanding. Thought turning down our F1 was crazy but other than opposing that trade he’s been fantastic.

All the journos have said Hawks previous offer wasn’t enough for Band 1, then St Kilda upped their offer to meet Band 1, then he went to the Hawks.

So they’re not clear on whether he accepted the previous offer, or if the Hawks lifted there’s in response to the Saints and therefore will net St Kilda Band 1 compo. Lots of “wait to see” from Jon Ralph etc.
There were mentions last week over on the D&T board that he still took the hawks offer, even though the Saints offer was higher.

So they’re not clear on whether he accepted the previous offer, or if the Hawks lifted there’s in response to the Saints and therefore will net St Kilda Band 1 compo. Lots of “wait to see” from Jon Ralph etc.

The understanding is Hawks didn't up any offer, Battle had already agreed to join them.

I know he's a potato and potentially delisted shortly, but we're silly not grabbing DGB via whatever bargain bin avenue pans out and backing ourselves to make something of his career. Either Barrass trade or DFA.

Our KPP development has been solid for a number of years, it's a free swing picking him up and seeing what a new environment does for his game. He's a pick 6 after all.

Particularly for a list position we're now no longer flush with. Bazzo (jury still out) as depth behind Hedwards and Gov, and that's it.
Train with us over summer with the SSP carrot. I think that would be best for club and particularly player. Close up look at him and see how much he wants it when his attitude and fitness has been questioned.

We absolutely need to address the KPD issue this draft and trade period.

Competing with Jacob Blight for a list position?

Of the two I think I would prefer Blight.

DGB sounds like he can get a preseason training invite once he's delisted and be an SSP option if we keep a list spot open. Hard to see he has any interest from clubs.

Competing with Jacob Blight for a list position?

Of the two I think I would prefer Blight.
Blight apparently not settled at Richmond but they are going to offer him a contract extension which means we’d have to trade for him.

Or Blight.

Jesus, didn't realise how bad DGB has been going at VFL level. I know he's a defender and there are other stats that might show he has some value but YUK.
View attachment 2100219
If you looked purely at Glass or Mackenzie’s stats you’d probably be unimpressed too.

If you looked purely at Glass or Mackenzie’s stats you’d probably be unimpressed too.
If Glass or McKenzie went back to WAFL they would have had 20 touches and 10 marks a game.

Willing to hear that DGB is a lockdown gorilla though, and his stats don't reflect that. But jesus, averaging 10 touches and a handful of marks this year ain't promising.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back