List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Is PSD on the same day as Rookie draft? (Which is in November?)

Yes it is. Late November

Preseason training for 1st to 4th year players will likely start early to mid November

He's hardly hanging in the wind, they've reportedly got a 2 year deal sitting on his lap.

The only delay for signing is him sniffing around for a better contract elsewhere from Collingwood or whoever else.

If we were interested it'd need to be 3 years and decent coin to tempt him relocating over from the other side of the country. Has he done enough to justify that?

Wonder if Richmond, Culley and Blight would agree to a deal where both players are not offered contracts, don’t nominate for the draft and then get signed as SSPs following the rookie draft?
Verbal agreement for the players?

Seems to lack security/certainty from the players’ POV. What if there are other players training as SSP’s or the player picked up an injury? I wouldn’t be confident that the club wouldn’t go back on its word.

If I was a player I’d be looking for something better than that if I could get it.

This is quoted from the AFL site: "To be eligible for the SSP, players must have nominated for the most recent AFL Draft or previously been on an AFL list. Clubs will have two windows to formally sign a player via the SSP: November 27 to December 14 and January 15 to February.....".
Note the "or previously been on an AFL list".

I think Eaglevision is right, a player can’t delist themselves and skip the drafts altogether.

If the club doesn’t offer them a contract, it’s a different matter.

I know he's a potato and potentially delisted shortly, but we're silly not grabbing DGB via whatever bargain bin avenue pans out and backing ourselves to make something of his career. Either Barrass trade or DFA.

Our KPP development has been solid for a number of years, it's a free swing picking him up and seeing what a new environment does for his game. He's a pick 6 after all.

Particularly for a list position we're now no longer flush with. Bazzo (jury still out) as depth behind Hedwards and Gov, and that's it.
Is it a case of homesickness as to why he hasn't come on?

Must have shown something to warrant being taken at 6. Played 8 league games for Swan Districts in 2020.

I think Eaglevision is right, a player can’t delist themselves and skip the drafts altogether.

If the club doesn’t offer them a contract, it’s a different matter.
I don't know what is right but this is quoted from AFL site and I think it is quite safe to believe it is correct (Note: there might be other extra wording that I am not aware of).

There are more to it. If he is not offered a contract, he is a FA too. There are many options to pick up a player

Last edited:
Let him go then. We need mids. A plethora (not a couple, bunch of several) of them. If we don't get in 6 mids, 3 via the draft and 3 as trades we will get smashed all year next, regardless of how shored up our back 6 are.

Peatling, Carrol, Garcia, Davies, Dev. Go get them all.

3 12 23 three best kids - no keys.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

You just summed why we should be chasing Blight.

We get a semi mature 24 year old key defender for close to no cost to provide depth after Barrass is gone.

We then retain all our good picks for positions of need. Mids and a quality rebounding half back.

Wonder if Richmond, Culley and Blight would agree to a deal where both players are not offered contracts, don’t nominate for the draft and then get signed as SSPs following the rookie draft?

Why not just do a straight swap and trade?

Then they can relocate and start preseason on time with the other players.

I don't know what is right but this is quoted from AFL site and I think it is quite safe to believe it is correct (Note: there might be other extra wording that I am not aware of).

There are more to it. If he is not offered a contract, he is a FA too. There are many options to pick up a player

If he’s not offered a contract he’s a free agent, but free agents go on the senior list.

If he’s not offered a contract and is content to go on the rookie list, he can either nominate for the draft and take the risk another club will draft him, or he can decline to nominate for the draft and get picked up as an SSP. That’s the path Sharp took to get to Freo.

Why not just do a straight swap and trade?

Then they can relocate and start preseason on time with the other players.

Because they’d be on the senior list. Not sure we’d have a senior list spot for Blight. Richmond would probably have one for Culley although if they end up with seven or eight picks in the top 30 with all their trades they’ll probably want to use all of those.

If he’s not offered a contract he’s a free agent, but free agents go on the senior list.

If he’s not offered a contract and is content to go on the rookie list, he can either nominate for the draft and take the risk another club will draft him, or he can decline to nominate for the draft and get picked up as an SSP. That’s the path Sharp took to get to Freo.
The main point of discussion is whether he has to be in the national draft to be eligible for SSP. Whether he will be drafted to the senior list is just a side issue.
I quote the AFL statement here again for reference:
"To be eligible for the SSP, players must have nominated for the most recent AFL Draft or previously been on an AFL list. Clubs will have two windows to formally sign a player via the SSP: November 27 to December 14 and January 15 to .....".
We cannot ignored the quote from AFL: "or previously been on an AFL list" and just use our own interpretation to claim the right or wrong.

My interpretation of this statement is he is on the AFL 2024 and he does not need to nominate for the most recent AFL draft to qualify for SSP. He is qualified with the second conditions "To be eligible for the SSP,......or previously been on an AFL list."

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beveridge saying on Gettable the Tigers have upped their offer to Graham to 4 years to match ours

Im sure Ive read on here they didnt want him and he was delist material.....

Anyway should make some happy. Hopefully puts Parfitt firmly on the radar if we miss out
Some supporters might want him gone

We cannot ignored the quote from AFL: "or previously been on an AFL list" and just use our own interpretation to claim the right or wrong.

I’ve looked for the actual rule but all I’ve found is this very helpful para:

836E6E12-EC8A-47BE-B215-CFEDF5BB0347.jpeg

If you’re right, and a player could decline a contract offer, bypass the drafts and sign with the club of their choosing as an SSP:
1) I think that would undermine the whole draft process, and
2) They’d have to be prepared to be on the rookie list, because that’s where SSP signings go.

Wasn't he an ordinary actor most famous for putting on sunglasses in the CSI tv series?
Csi Caine GIF by NORD PIXELS

This is quoted from the AFL site: "To be eligible for the SSP, players must have nominated for the most recent AFL Draft or previously been on an AFL list. Clubs will have two windows to formally sign a player via the SSP: November 27 to December 14 and January 15 to February.....".
Note the "or previously been on an AFL list".
Correct but they also need to have not been offered a contract extension by their club otherwise every player will skip the PSD and just get to their club of choice

on that topic why don't we rookie list form 2nd round pick 2022 James Van es who was injured all year and delisted. He is a 195cm key defender who we could develop rookie list surely.

Beveridge saying on Gettable the Tigers have upped their offer to Graham to 4 years to match ours

Im sure Ive read on here they didnt want him and he was delist material.....

Anyway should make some happy. Hopefully puts Parfitt firmly on the radar if we miss out
Tigers in danger of going full Melbourne 2008-2015 if they have all their old guys retire, and all their middle aged good players traded. Need to keep some and Edwards Graham is probably the best value of cheap, plus won't get as much for him if he leaves.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back