List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Did everyone actually read the part where it says there are more moving parts and it won't be a straight swap of 3 for 12+14?

Our sheets were almost dry. Almost.

More moving parts is almost always code for later picks being involved

If it was something notable it would’ve been mentioned, Carlton have no other assets so a third team will likely be involved but still, I don’t see a world where we get a good deal for 3 when gifting it to Carlton.

you lot every time someone tweets something

freak-tweak.gif

More moving parts is almost always code for later picks being involved

If it was something notable it would’ve been mentioned, Carlton have no other assets so a third team will likely be involved but still, I don’t see a world where we get a good deal for 3 when gifting it to Carlton.
Other moving parts could be later picks, or it could be Carlton trading 12+14 for something higher (Essendon's 9 or GC's 6 for example)

I doubt we've held firm the way we have just to trade 3 away for chump change.

2027 is the Tasmania draft. They are coming into the comp in 2028. However 2 year future trading is coming in next year which would be teams trading 2027 picks, which would have little value.

Having future picks next year isn't a bad thing. The more high F/S and academy picks there are, the more valuable first round picks will be for points. If we had Hawks and Carlton future 1sts we can auction them off to the highest bidder. Look at GC. They will need even more points than they do now to get Zeke Uwland.
I thought the AFL had said they want Tassie to be successful from day one. If not explicitly stated it was implied that they wouldn’t be set up like the two northern teams, that is, based on repeated multiple good picks. Established players would be at least a good part of it.

Thus we can’t know how much Tassie will compromise - further compromise - the draft/trade.

Other moving parts could be later picks, or it could be Carlton trading 12+14 for something higher (Essendon's 9 or GC's 6 for example)

Maybe, but more likely 12/14 the core. Carroll; later picks the moving parts. Really doubt it’s anything we wnat

"THE CLUB IS MAKING THE WORST CHOICES"

my brother in christ all we have done is trade darling to norf

Yeah but we wanted to trade Darling for Darling, we got ripped off coz of Jellyfish Clarke.

I can't see how it happens unless there's a bidding war for Matt Owies and/or Jack Carroll. You don't have any salary dump prospects by chance?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12 + 14 + Moir + Carroll for 3.

On trade 14 for Swans’ 19 + 22

Trade one of them for Baker (should be 22 but I doubt we push hard enough)

2024 draft hand = 12, 19/22, 26, Champion

Trade Barrass + F2 for Hawthorn’s 2 x F1s

2025 draft hand = 3 x First Rounders for the strong WA group and of course a potential Warner pursuit

Don’t love sliding so far back in this year’s draft but if the recruiters are frothing over the depth of the draft more than the upper end then something like the above isn’t disastrous. Sounds like we were big on Moir last year too and he’s a WCE supporter so if we can snare him as part of the deal then it becomes viable.

12 + 14 + Moir + Carroll for 3.

On trade 14 for Swans’ 19 + 22

Trade one of them for Baker (should be 22 but I doubt we push hard enough)

2024 draft hand = 12, 19/22, 26, Champion

Trade Barrass + F2 for Hawthorn’s 2 x F1s

2025 draft hand = 3 x First Rounders for the strong WA group and of course a potential Warner pursuit

Don’t love sliding so far back in this year’s draft but if the recruiters are frothing over the depth of the draft more than the upper end then something like the above isn’t disastrous. Sounds like we were big on Moir last year too and he’s a WCE supporter so if we can snare him as part of the deal then it becomes viable.

Disgusting.

It makes no sense. If this is the case we would have been better off taking the Barrass deal while would have got us 14 anyway & we would still have 3 intact.

The entire board praising Clark for standing firm yesterday (including myself) might not age well if we get even less for Barrass and give up 3 in a ridiculous deal like that

He’d be the most hated man in WA

I cant tell if the lack of trades today is because its been such a boring trade period or if trades cant/don't happen over the weekends as everyone is resting up from a week of rest. Can someone please clarify ?

I cant tell if the lack of trades today is because its been such a boring trade period or if trades cant/don't happen over the weekends as everyone is resting up from a week of rest. Can someone please clarify ?

From memory trades rarely if ever happen on the weekends, usually it’s pretty quiet bar from the odd update like from Rhino today.

Monday should be fun

List managers get the weekend off after doing nothing but posturing and sipping lattes all week

(Officially trades can't be processed over the weekend AFAIK)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back