List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no world where we are giving up either pick for Tom Barrass. A player older than Battle and we don’t see ourselves in contention.

By the same token we won’t be trading both 7+8 to move up to 3.

Not in this draft. The top end talent isn’t significantly better to warrant doing so. We will be able to land some really good players at those picks. As good as what’s probably at 3.

I’m not being arrogant here. But trying to provide some realistic opposition view to the multiple posts I’ve seen about sending Barrass to us or packing both picks to go up. It just won’t Happen.

We are keen on grabbing Essendons pick 9. We want more talent. Not Less.
I agree with this take. Trading back from 3 would only give us a top 10 pick and R2

There’s actually no rush to load up. We have plenty of youth to get development and get games into currently.

We have about 17 players currently that are in that phase of there careers. We add another 4-5 this year and it’s half our list.

Another 12 months and some of those 17 players will start to be cut due to not being at AFL standard and others will be transitioning out of the development phase.

The club has actually already made a massive change to its list since the end of 2021 and we don’t need to load up. A more balanced view to the draft is required where quality selections over the next few drafts probably serves us better than loading up on one draft.

The other thing is that there is a push back in here over WA talent at times. Vic media linking us to a WA kid blah blah.

I think the club is willing to invest in interstate talent but the backbone of the list should be WA talent. It always has been and we would be silly to move away from that.

The club has a rich history of WA champions and whilst we have had some interstate champions such as Judd, Hurn and Shuey we should not stop looking to our greatest strength or talent pool which is WA.

With a strong WA contingent of players coming through in 2025 and possibly 2026 we should position ourselves to take some of these kids after a couple of years where we have mostly taken interstate talent.
A lot of role player types and guys who might not make it in that group of 17 though. Still need some high end talent to go with it

• I hate the trading of future picks. Next year when the future picks flow onto (reportedly) to Tassie compromised 2026 draft, will be interesting. Could be one of the least traded trade periods ever. No club will be willing to trade in future picks which will have there values heavily reduced.

Unsure what you mean by this part - in light of 2026 being so heavily compromised it could make 2025 picks worth so much more as being the last uncompromised draft. Are you saying you don't like trading them out or in or both?

Unsure what you mean by this part - in light of 2026 being so heavily compromised it could make 2025 picks worth so much more as being the last uncompromised draft. Are you saying you don't like trading them out or in or both?
Personally don't like trading future picks in or out, too much of a gamble for mine. There is also too much uncertainty with all the AFL leavers (compo picks etc) to justify weather a future pick will be of value or not.

As for next trade period, I can't see any club willing trading in future picks (so future pick being for the compromised 2026 draft). These will, assuming the AFL go all in one Tassie, be heavily diluted. Example a future P5 could easily blow out to outside the 10 ten.

Well, well.

Three clubs shat the bed today - and West Coast wasn't one of them. Perhaps things are starting to turn after all.

Carlton are still living in the hope that getting D.Houston will somehow paper over the cracks and make them contenders.

The reality is they lost 7 of their last 9 matches to finish their season. A salary cap at its limits, players are being forced out, and talent under the age of 22 very thin. Their squad is on track to be weaker in 2025 than it was this year.

But apparently signing up a half-back flanker will make all the difference. The fact they don't have cap space for the player doesn't appear to be a barrier either - they are convinced that offering a very high pick, the kind that can deliver S.Draper, will persuade Port to keep paying for his contract after he leaves.

Problem is, they can't get that pick.

Aside from an F2 tied to Brisbane, they've expended all the pick currency they have. Even with that included, 12 + 14 + F2(40*) is not going to move a top 3 pick this year.

The assumption that a couple of middling first round picks equates to top 3 because of points values is laughable.

They have effectively given away a second round pick to deliver an aborted result. Now they will be caught between rebuilding and retreading - not good enough to compete, but too good to bottom out. An irrelevant existence much like Essendon and St Kilda awaits them.

Hawthorn showed their hand today and it reeked of desperation.

B.Smith - missed
H.Perryman - missed

J.Battle isn't going to turn them into a top four side.

S.Frost turns 32 next year. J.Sicily, K.Amon and J.Impey will each turn 30.

The Hawks know that if they want success, they have to go for it now before those players are crippled by time.

They have lined up T.Barrass since the start of the year, expecting it to be another piece that will just fall into place on the inevitable march to glory. It was so easy - so what if he's contracted if he wants to go to Box Hill? Just be thankful for the F3 that is coming with pick 14 and hurry along...

Faced with an unexpected standoff and the prospect of missing out on Barrass entirely, today Hawthorn blinked.

They traded away pick 14 for 2025 currency in a draft where almost every other club are doing the opposite.

The only reasonable scenario for that course of action in this draft, is to get Essendon's pick 9 or Gold Coast's pick 13. Presumably, a single pick upgrade isn't worth this level of effort, splitting and bargaining around, so I expect they're chasing the Bomber's pick.

A lot still to play out of course, but one thing is certain - Hawthorn will be back with an improved offer.

The Hawks aren't going to walk away; they need this deal if they want a shot at a premiership - they will be willing to pay overs to get it done.

If West Coast holds its ground, T.Barrass could end up going as high as 9 + F1 (or 13) for F2, which would be an exceptional outcome for the Eagles.

Should something like that occur, look out for a pick like 13 to be forwarded on to Sydney for 19 + 22, with one of those then offered to Richmond for L.Baker - if he isn't walked to the PSD.

Speaking of Richmond, they drank their own pick bathwater.

Picks 6, 10, 11, 13, 14, 18. All of these were coming to them as part of some higher ordained right to rebuild before Tasmania enters the competition.

It didn't matter if pick 20 cost four picks between 30 and 45 - the others would surely come because that's what is meant to happen.

Except they have been absolute campaigners, getting ahead of themselves and half of the competition has had enough of their antics already.

At least when Geelong play that game, quality is involved. The Tigers are holding up the whole trade period haggling over buckets of crap.

14 is gone; 13 also looking at the same fate. Surely Fremantle don't jump the shark and they keep hold of at least one of their first round picks.

That's likely down to 6, 10 and 18 to join their picks 1, 20 and 24. Still a very strong draft, but I'm sure those other picks that now won't be coming their way could have been gained had they been more accommodating and added those picks between 30 and 45 to prospective deals.

If they don't get those high picks, that rebuild is starting to look very cold, lonely and for a considerably extended period.

Too bad they traded out any good-will currency they had to help the Lions with their magic academy beans. :violin:

Love the bone-dry-sheets optimism, but doesn't it seem likely the waters are a lot more calm than this, and us (and Richmond) basically signed off on Hawthorn's Carlton trade?

As I've said, I think perhaps we indicated that a F1 would be functionally equal to 14 this year, and it may well be on-traded to Richmond for Baker anyway (as we expected 14 to be).

Personally don't like trading future picks in or out, too much of a gamble for mine. There is also too much uncertainty with all the AFL leavers (compo picks etc) to justify weather a future pick will be of value or not.

As for next trade period, I can't see any club willing trading in future picks (so future pick being for the compromised 2026 draft). These will, assuming the AFL go all in one Tassie, be heavily diluted. Example a future P5 could easily blow out to outside the 10 ten.
I think the 2025 draft will be highly compromised due to the amount of father son and academy selections. I think this explains the lack for movement so far in this trade period, as no-one wants to trade put of 2024 into 2025. Also explains why Richmond is trying to rebuild in one draft.

Getting mixed messages here 🤦‍♂️

Tom flog Morris says were loading up on picks for next year. Which contradicts earlier reports we wanted more picks/selection in this year's draft.

This year's draft is the even one everyone is frothing over and think you can find a gun at pick 30.

So why are we apparently now preferring next year's compromised piece of shit draft to this one?

Personally I want nothing to do with any Future picks for 2025. I'd even be up for trading our future picks. Get in this draft and hit it hard, make the most of the talent whilst it's there.

We land two F1sts for TB.

That gives us three future 1sts and massive flexiblity to hold onto pick 3 and trade into this draft earlier.

Trade our F1st to Gold Coast for 6 plus ? Plus ? Pick up 6 and a couple more picks under 30.

Retain Hawks and Cartons F1st in case a trade for Warner is needed.

The more pick trades we do the more likely we shake a pick or two lose to pay for Baker without using our top 6 picks.

Last edited:

2027 is the Tasmania draft. They are coming into the comp in 2028. However 2 year future trading is coming in next year which would be teams trading 2027 picks, which would have little value.

Having future picks next year isn't a bad thing. The more high F/S and academy picks there are, the more valuable first round picks will be for points. If we had Hawks and Carlton future 1sts we can auction them off to the highest bidder. Look at GC. They will need even more points then they do now to get Zeke Uwland.

I’m guessing … repeat guessing … that it’s accepted internally that TB is going. But I wonder if the longer this goes does his value increase or decrease? Reasonable arguments for both.
It would seem either way, staying or going, that the longer it drags on his value might decrease (although I admit I don't know all the mystical and magical routes his trade might yet take?). But if he is forced to stay on, you'd think that would torpedo any future prospects as he'd be another year older and slower.

Did you miss the entire week? Clarke is on record saying we think he’s worth an early teens pick…but to late for that

Valued round an early teens pick. Around means plus or minus what?

And do all players get traded for exactly what they are worth? No they often dont.

Is Bailey Smith valued at pick 17? Hell no.

Did the Dogs get fair value for Dunckley? Absolutely not.

What about Dawson to the Crows? Pfffft. Swans still get cranky at that deal.

Future 1st in the teens might be the max.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2027 is the Tasmania draft. They are coming into the comp in 2028. However 2 year future trading is coming in next year which would be teams trading 2027 picks, which would have little value.

Having future picks next year isn't a bad thing. The more high F/S and academy picks there are, the more valuable first round picks will be for points. If we had Hawks and Carlton future 1sts we can auction them off to the highest bidder. Look at GC. They will need even more points then they do now to get Zeke Uwland.

100%.

If we hold Blues and Hawks F1sts if they are in the teens come next year their will be someone will trade out top 10 picks for them plus 2nd rounders for points.

Get a couple of 2nds and retain our 1st we can trade down two teen 1sts into top 10. Hit the top 10 with 3 picks.

Or even bring one into this years top 10.

I can just imagine the negotiations:

Smug Richmond kent: You said to the media that Baker's worth a mid teen pick sits back with a smug look on his smug face

Clarke: Yeah I misspoke, you're not getting that

Smug Richmond kent: Wat? But you said!

Clarke: Not to you, you dumb kent

And so on. Like who gives a flying **** what was said to the media. ****'s sake.

12 and 14 isn't enough for 3 on it's own, be interesting to see what else could be involved.
Surely we'd get 10 and Baker without argument from Richmond as an alternatively horrible, yet not quite as horrible as the Carlton trade (not that I think we should entertain such a trade). 6 and Baker would be preferable, but still not great. Maybe 10, 11 and Baker would be the deal. Don't love it, but at least we get an additional high pick this year.

Last edited:
Sorry for the intruding guys but Carlton won’t get pick 3. We’ve got so much draft capital we’ll get you guys a better deal.

I’d personally give 10+11 (If we get for Bolton from Freo) for 3. If that’s not enough some junk pick later is fine with me.

Not sure what your thoughts are on that?

Nope. We would need 6 as a starting point, once you get it from Gold Coast. Don’t want to move any lower than that

This would be an absolutely disgusting deal, esp if 14 still goes to Richmond for Baker.
So 3 for 12 + Baker...
The downgrade from 3 to 6 looking good right now lmao.
I can't fathom how we would even consider a trade like this.

Like mentioned there would have to be much, much more (hopefully).

Oh god, does 3 for 12 and 14 actually have legs?

That’d go down as one of the worse trades ever when factoring in we will give 14 to Richmond for Baker.

Imagine turning a top 3 pick into 12 and Baker lmao

Refuse to believe we’re stupid enough to do that

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back