List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:

What's Travagalia's expected draft range?

Anywhere from around 8 to 15.

Hawks pick may just miss him

However reading through an article yesterday with each clubs priorities and players ranked only one had Travagalia mentioned as a backup option. Most were chasing a pure mid or tall.

So maybe he does slide to the Hawks 1st.

If Richmond has multiple 1st rounders which it will feel they would look at him as they need everything.

Anywhere from around 8 to 15.

Hawks pick may just miss him

However reading through an article yesterday with each clubs priorities and players ranked only one had Travagalia mentioned as a backup option. Most were chasing a pure mid or tall.

So maybe he does slide to the Hawks 1st.

If Richmond has multiple 1st rounders which it will feel they would look at him as they need everything.
It's a pity we couldn't get him and another quality mid.

Highly doubt it. Difference is Dees don’t want to sell or have to.

Now with Houston saying he is staying. That rules out the Power imo.

I think the Crows are too far down the Lukosius/ANB and needing a mid path.

If Freo think Chad is coming next year they will stay on that path and don’t want to be on the hook for both $900k for Pickett and did I read $1.2m for Bolton a year.

I think unless Trac changes his mind and stays. Pickett might pick the Eagles if he really wants out of the city. Ryan could help make it happen. We would love him and have a sort of need for his position but Mids and HBF are more pressing imo this off season. Interesting
The Dockers will be hoping that Darcy can stay on the field next year, then the can flip him to Geelong or someone else, to take the contract off the books and help their draft hand for Warner.

Mark Readings on 6PR, I think?
What happened to Cripps?

Is he retiring, i assumed he was good enough and willing enough to go another 12 months.

So much for hoping for a big game from FOS tomorrow

Feel for the kid, incredible frustrating year

I dont know about anyone else but I really hope history repeats itself Pick 3 vibes aka Judd 2.0

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What happened to Cripps?

Is he retiring, i assumed he was good enough and willing enough to go another 12 months.

This is getting a bit circular.

“Where’s the Cripps retiring rumour come from?”

Mark Readings on 6PR.

“What’s the rumour about Cripps?”

That he’s retiring.

“Where’s that come from?”

The Dockers will be hoping that Darcy can stay on the field next year, then the can flip him to Geelong or someone else, to take the contract off the books and help their draft hand for Warner.
Yeah. A lot to play out and that would be their hope but let’s hypothetically go 13 months in the future.

If Darcy stays fit and when he’s on the park they go pretty well plus add in Pickett and Bolton, you’d think they go very deep into the finals, if not win it. Not sure they would be getting rid of Darcy in that case.

If he is injured again for 2025 and they get those 2 and go well. They would certainly look to trade him but what value has he got on a huge contract? And missing nearly 3 years of footy? Would nearly be a salary dump and not sure they will have the trade assets.

Yeah. A lot to play out and that would be their hope but let’s hypothetically go 13 months in the future.

If Darcy stays fit and when he’s on the park they go pretty well plus add in Pickett and Bolton, you’d think they go very deep into the finals, if not win it. Not sure they would be getting rid of Darcy in that case.

If he is injured again for 2025 and they get those 2 and go well. They would certainly look to trade him but what value has he got on a huge contract? And missing nearly 3 years of footy? Would nearly be a salary dump and not sure they will have the trade assets.
Would happily take Darcy’s contract and a good 1R pick in a salary dump. He wouldn’t even have to move house.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back